About the KEF LSX II
Dynamite, do-it-all compact speakers
Compact KEF LSX II speakers look good and sound great in any room of your home.
Dynamite, do-it-all compact speakers
The original LSX speakers brought together KEF's legendary audio expertise and eye-catching looks in a compact powered speaker pair. The new LSX II still delivers impressive sound quality from beautiful compact cabinets — that hasn't changed. But now there are more connections for your preferred sources, including an HDMI input for your TV, plus even more flexible music streaming options.
These speakers come in five stylish colors to match your decor, so they'll look as good as they sound.
Listen to a wide range of sources
You can stream music wirelessly from a variety of sources via Wi-Fi using the popular Apple AirPlay 2 and Chromecast built-in platforms. Or you can stream directly from phones, tablets, and PCs using Bluetooth. The right-hand speaker features a wealth of analog and digital connections for hooking up a range of components, including:
- HDMI ARC input for connecting to a compatible TV
- Toslink digital optical input for TV, CD player, etc.
- USB Type-C for a compatible computer
- 3.5mm analog aux input for a portable music player
- RJ-45 Ethernet input for network connection
- mono RCA output lets you add a powered subwoofer for more bass
Audiophiles may appreciate the ability to make a wired connection between speakers via the included Ethernet cable for optimal sound, but the pair can also be linked wirelessly to allow for fewer cables and more flexible placement options.
With traditional passive speakers, it can be hard to find just the right amplifier to match. KEF has eliminated the guesswork with the LSX II. They put two custom-designed amplifiers in each speaker — 70 watts to each 4-1/2" woofer, and 30 watts to each 3/4" tweeter — so each driver gets exactly the power it needs for phenomenal results.
DSP and room EQ for accurate sound
Custom-tailored digital signal processing (DSP) ensures hi-fi performance. And DSP-based room equalization lets you answer a few simple questions in the free KEF Connect mobile app (for Apple® and Android™ devices) to tune the speakers to your listening space..
A wide "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q technology
The LSX II features the 11th generation of KEF's patented Uni-Q driver, which places each speaker's tweeter in the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone. That lets the speakers create a detailed, accurate, three-dimensional sound image. In essence, it makes the "sweet spot" — the ideal listening position — much larger. Sit wherever you like! It'll sound fantastic.
- frequency response: 54-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- bi-amped design with separate Class D woofer and tweeter amplifiers for greater headroom and lower distortion
- woofer amplifier power: 70 watts
- tweeter amplifier power: 30 watts
- legendary industrial designer Michael Young signature edition
- Uni-Q Driver Array technology makes your entire room sound like the "sweet spot"
- 4-1/2" magnesium/aluminum alloy woofer
- 3/4" vented aluminum dome tweeter
- remote included
- peak SPL: 102 dB
- precise digital signal processing controls allow optimal room integration
- free downloadable app lets you make pinpoint EQ adjustments with your Apple® or Android™ device
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear port for accurate, musical bass
- elegant curved front baffle
Wireless streaming features:
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth® 4.2 with aptX® for high-quality audio streaming performance
- Apple AirPlay 2 and Google Chromecast built-in
- Roon ready
- plays music from DLNA devices on your network
Connections (located on back of right-hand speaker):
- HDMI ARC input for connecting to a compatible TV (up to 16-bit/48kHz resolution)
- Toslink digital optical input (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- USB Type-C (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- 3.5mm aux input
- 10/100 Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet input for network connection (up to 24-bit/384kHz)
- RJ-45 port on each speaker for connecting the pair
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 6-1/8"W x 9-1/2"H x 9-1/4"D
- weight: 7.7 lbs. (left speaker), 7.9 lbs. (right speaker)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LSX2WH
What's in the box:
- 2 Wireless powered speakers
- Two 6.5' AC power cords
- 10' Cat-6 interconnect speaker cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Information
- Warranty Information
- Maintenance Guide
KEF LSX II reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the KEF LSX II
Features & specs
|Digital Input||Optical, HDMI|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||4.5|
|Woofer Type||Magnesium/Aluminium alloy|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||200|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||384 kHz|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network & Internet Integration
Bluetooth, Analog & Digital Inputs
24-Bit/384kHz DAC: The KEF LSX II utilizes a 24-bit/384kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for audiophile quality playback. The LSX II supports digital music files up to 24-bit/384kHz, as well as MQA Decoding and DSD256. All sources are resampled to either 24-bit/96kHz PCM or 24-bit/48kHz PCM; depending on a wired or wireless connection between the LSX II's two powered speaker.
- MQA (Master Quality Authenticated): MQA is a revolutionary end-to-end technology that captures and delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download. MQA lets you hear your streamed digital music files exactly like the way the artist intended you to hear it when it was approved in the studio.
- DSD (Direct Stream Digital): DSD is high-resolution digital audio format that uses a single bit to deliver a high resolution signal. Instead of sampling the information several thousand times a second, this single bit samples 2.8 million times a second to generate the audio signal. The result is still a Hi-Res audio signal that clean and pure.
KEF's Music Integrity Engine (MIE): All aspects of the LS50 Wireless II's performance is aided by KEF’s proprietary Music Integrity Engine (MIE). This collection of unique Digital Signal Processing algorithms is optimized for the Uni-Q driver configuration, enabling it to deliver a perfectly timed performance, for better imaging and a tighter sound.
Bi-Amplifier Configuration: The KEF LSX II speaker system employs two Class-D amplifiers inside each speaker to power the tweeters and woofers. 30 watts is allocated for each tweeter, while 70 watts is delivered to each woofer provides a total system power of 200 watts. The result is high-fidelity sound at any volume level with no distortion.
- Wireless Mode: LSX II is pre-paired at the factory for easy setup in wireless mode. The wireless transmission is totally independent of the local WiFi signal. The minuscule delay (2.9ms) between the primary and secondary speakers in this mode is automatically accounted for, through an equal delay applied to the primary speaker. The wireless connection re-samples all audio to 24-bit/48kHz. Wireless Mode has a range of 26'.
- Wired Mode: The wired interspeaker connection uses CAT-6 cable, plugged into the RJ45 sockets on the rear of the speakers. Cable mode must be enabled in the KEF Connect app settings menu. In this mode, all audio signals are resampled to 24-bit/96kHz. The included CAT-6 cable is 10' in length.
Note: Because the LS50 Wireless II is self-powered, each speaker will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet. Two 6.5' detachable AC power cords are included.
Uni-Q Driver Array: The LS50 Wireless II powered speaker utilizes KEF's patented 11th generation Uni-Q driver configuration, in which the tweeter is mounted at the acoustic center of the midrange cone. By placing the tweeter at the center of the midrange and bass cone, it radically improves stereo imaging. This not only makes music sound clear, detailed and lifelike, it does so across a wider listening area. With both acting as a single point source, the sound is dispersed widely and evenly throughout the listening area allowing you to experience superbly defined and perfectly balanced stereo imagery with a wide "sweet spot". The LSX II's Uni-Q driver array consists of a 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter and 4.5" magnesium/aluminum alloy cone.
Optimized Curved Cabinet w/ Bass Port: The LSX II speaker system's gently curved cabinet was designed with extensive use of Finite Element Analysis as well as featuring constrained layer damping as found in KEF's high-end audiophile products. Optimized using Finite Element Analysis, The LSX II speaker system's contoured baffle improves sound dispersion, ensuring that sound waves travel outwards and are not reflected around the cabinet surface. On the rear cabinet of each speaker is a flared port for smooth bass response without "chuffing". The result is a purer sound and accurate bass, with less cabinet coloration.
Note: The LSX II speaker system does not include grilles.
Subwoofer Output: The KEF LSX II speaker system features a rear-panel mono-RCA subwoofer output for connection of a powered subwoofer (sold separately).
Mounting & Placement Options: Compact, elegant and incredibly versatile, the LSX II speaker system looks great and fits comfortably into practically any decor. The two speakers in the KEF LSX II speaker system can simply be put up on a table, shelf, desk, stands, or other piece of AV furniture. With no need for a cable to connect the two speakers, and no separate amps or other equipment to worry about connecting, you can position them almost anywhere.
- For the best stereo experience, soundstage and stable connection, place the speakers within 26' apart from one another.
- The optimum distance between the speakers and the listener will depend on how far the Primary Speaker and the Secondary Speaker are separated.
- Try to keep the same distance of the speakers to the listener so it forms an equilateral triangle.
Note: The KEF LSX II speaker system does not include wall brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall mount the speakers.
Network & Internet Integration
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The KEF LSX II can be connected to your home network via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. There is a RJ-45 Ethernet port (10/100Mbps) on the back of the speaker which allows for a hardwired connection. Built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) allows the LSX II system to connect wirelessly to your home network. This network connection allows support for the KEF Connect App, Apple AirPlay 2, and Chromecast Built-In; plus Roon-Ready with future firmware update. You can select between 3 audio streaming settings based on your home network.
- Hi-Fi (Hi-Fi quality): Always select this setting for the best audio quality. The highest quality depends on the music streaming service and your subscription.
- High (CD Quality): Select this setting when the speakers are in a crowded network and experiencing quality drop-outs.
- Normal (MP3 Quality): Select this setting when the speakers are in a crowded network and experiencing audio drop-outs.
- For better streaming stability, especially on hi-resolution music files, a 5GHz WiFi network with a router transmission speed of at least 1300 Mbps is recommended.
- The KEF LSX II must always be first connected to your local network before you are able to use any of the speaker's wired or wireless source inputs.
Online Music Services & Internet Radio: The KEF LSX II provides access to Amazon, Deezer, Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal, and vTuner through the KEF Connect App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) on your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- Amazon Music: Amazon Music has a growing selection of over 2 million songs is always ad-free and on-demand, with curated playlists, personalized stations and unlimited skips. Upgrade to Prime Music Unlimited, and enjoy 10 million songs, weekly new releases, and more.
- Deezer: With 43 million tracks, 100 million playlists, and a presence in 182 countries, Deezer literally covers the globe for its subscribers. Subscriptions start at $9.99/month, and include ad-free playback, premium audio quality, and more.
- Spotify Connect: The KEF LSX II offers Spotify Connect support, so you can stream millions of songs from your portable device with ease. You will need to subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, so you can stream Spotify to the LSX II system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- TIDAL Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the LSX II from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Internet Radio (vTuner): You have the ability to access thousands of internet radio stations through vTuner and save your favorite presets for easy access. Supported Internet Radio formatted content includes MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis and MMS.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the KEF LSX II speaker system. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the KEF speaker system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the LSX II speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The LSX II and your Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the KEF LSX II speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the KEF LSX II. In addition, you can watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the LSX II speaker system.
UPnP (Universal Plug-n-Play): The KEF LSX II is UPnP compatible, which enables you to play your digital music library stored on UPnP servers (such as a network server with integrated UPnP software,Windows PC, or Mac OS X computer) through the LSX II speaker system. You can stream a variety of compressed, lossless, and high-res music files. UPnP file browsing can be carried out using the KEF Connect App (for Apple iOS and Android). The LSX II supports streaming digital music files up to 24-bit/384kHz, as well as MQA Decoding and DSD256. Supported music file formats include - MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, WMA, DSD, MQA, LPCM and Ogg Vorbis.
Note: Windows Media Player version 11 or above incorporates built in UPnP support. A variety of third party UPnP applications are available that are compatible with both Windows and OS X operating systems.
Roon Ready: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play across the KEF LSX II speaker system and other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage. It can also access your iTunes library, and optionally integrate with the Tidal music streaming service. Roon is available for mobile, laptop or desktop devices. When you open the Roon app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the KEF LSX II and all other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the LSX II or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
Note: To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the KEF LSX II speaker system. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or player (sold separately) located on the network within your home.
Bluetooth, Analog & Digital Connectivity
Bluetooth 4.2: With built-in Bluetooth 4.2 and support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP), you are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer to the KEF LSX II speaker system. With SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), Bluetooth source devices can be paired with a single press of a button and without entering a PIN code. Multiple devices can be paired with the LSX II speaker system, but only one device can be connected and playing at a time. You'll still need to control music playback and view song/artist/album info from your Bluetooth source device.
- The KEF LSX II speaker does not support Bluetooth audio transmission to a set of Bluetooth-enabled headphones.
- The KEF LSX II speaker system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
- The LSX II must be first connected to your local network before it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker.
HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel): The KEF LSX II is outfitted with a HDMI ARC jack for connection to your TV's HDMI ARC input, so you can playback your TV's audio signal through the LSX II speaker system. The HDMI ARC jack supports 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/48kHz.
- The LSX II's HDMI ARC jack must be connected to a TV's HDMI ARC or eARC input; it will not work with a standard HDMI input.
- The HDMI ARC jack does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multi-channel formats.
- The HDMI ARC jack does not support video.
- The LSX II must always be first connected to your local network before using the HDMI connection.
Optical Digital Input: The KEF LSX II is equipped with one optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/96kHz.
- The optical and coaxial digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multi-channel formats.
- The LSX II must always be first connected to your local network before using the optical or coaxial digital inputs.
Analog Input: The LSX II also features an analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input. This is a line-level input (not a Phono input). If you want to connect a turntable, you'll need an external phono preamplifier (sold separately) or a turntable with a built-in phono preamp.
Note: The LSX II must always be first connected to your local network before using the analog Aux input.
USB-C Input: Using the LSX II's USB-C input, you can connect your desktop or laptop computer to the speaker system via a USB-C cable (sold separately). The LSX II supports Windows 10 and Mac OS X (neither requires a special USB driver). It is able to playback 2ch stereo PCM audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz from your compatible desktop computer or laptop.
Note: The speaker system must always be first connected to your local network before USB-C connection.
KEF Connect App: The KEF Connect app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) provides setup and control of the LSX II system from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The KEF Connect app also gives you access to a variety of online music service and internet radio stations.
- Wireless Setup: The KEF Connect app allows simple and quick connection of the LSX II to your home's wireless network router.
- Online Music Services: The KEF Connect app provides access to Amazon HD, Deezer, Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal, and vTuner.
- Playback Control: From the app, you can control playback volume, and input source selection.
- Audio Optimization: The app lets you optimize your listening experience through its EQ settings; allowing you to adjust the output of the speaker to better suit the room and your personal taste.
- Timers & Alarms: The app also lets you customize settings such as sleep timer, auto-wake up source, and child lock
Note: The KEF LSX II does not work with older KEF apps - such as the KEF Control and KEF Stream apps.
IR Remote: The included IR remote provides basic wireless operation of the KEF LSX II speaker system. The IR remote provides the following control functions - Power On/Off, Source Selection, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track.
EQ Settings: For the best audio performance, apply sound settings from the KEF Connect app according to your listening area. EQ settings include - Desk Mode (-10 to 0 dB), Wall Mode (-10 to 0 dB), Wall Distance (3.9375"-19.6875"), Room Setting (Damped/Moderate/Lively), Treble Trim (-4 to 4 dB), Phase Correction (On or Off), Bass Extension (L/M/H), High Pass Frequency(50 to 120Hz), Sub Out Low Pass Frequency (40 to 240Hz), Sub Gain (-10 to 10 dB), and Sub Polarity (On or Off).
Auto Standby: The KEF LSX II speaker system will automatically go into Standby mode when there is no audio signal and no operation for 20, 30, or 60 minutes (user defined).
Auto Firmware Updates: Automatic firmware updates are done over your home's local network using the KEF Connect app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+).
The KEF LSX II replaces these items
- bi-amped design with separate woofer and tweeter amplifiers for greater headroom and lower distortion
- individual 24-bit/192kHz DAC for each driver for detailed playback
- Bluetooth® 4.2 with aptX® for optimized audio streaming performance
1 question already asked
I'm very impressed with the soundstage, the imaging, the clarity, and the bass response of these tiny loudspeakers. They exceeded my expectations and due to their positioning I don't feel the need to add a subwoofer, but if I do, I'm sure they'll really blow me away.
Matthew from San Diego, CA