About the KEF LSX
Compact speakers with full-range sound
Compact KEF LSX speakers look good and sound great in any room of your home.
Compact speakers with full-range sound
KEF LSX speakers resemble their impressive big brother, the KEF LS50 Wireless, with a smaller footprint and more compact enclosure. But don't let their size fool you — you'll be amazed at how much clear, well-defined sound comes out of these beauties.
Listen to a range of sources
The right-hand speaker features analog and digital inputs for connecting components like a turntable with a built-in phono preamp or a CD player. Or you can stream music wirelessly via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
They come in five stylish colors to match your decor, so they'll look as good as they sound.
Audiophiles may appreciate the ability to make a wired connection between speakers via the included Ethernet cable, but the pair can also be linked wirelessly to allow for more flexible placement options.
Eric Angevine: Several companies have been creating powered speakers recently. How did you set out to make yours different and unique to the way KEF does things?
Dr. Jack Oclee-Brown: It's a question of trying to offer as much as possible of the typical KEF performance, but for somebody who either doesn't have a system at all, or they want a second system. They want to buy just one system, take it home, and have it running immediately with all the convenience of a full system with the optical inputs and all that.
It's trying to not dilute it too much, really. You've still got Uni-Q in there. It's big enough that we can get good bass output. It's stereo — a lot of these products they sacrifice that by putting it in one box, which is important if you want to trim it down, but stereo is really crucial to accurate music. You're putting in all the electronics that deliver the sound quality as well.
With traditional passive speakers, it can be hard to find just the right amplifier to match. KEF has eliminated the guesswork with the LSX. They put two custom-designed amplifiers in each speaker — 70 watts to each 4-1/2" woofer, and 30 watts to each 3/4" tweeter — so each driver gets exactly the power it needs for phenomenal results.
And the attention to detail doesn't stop there. Each driver has a high-end 24-bit/192 kHz DAC to make digital sound come alive.
Built-in digital signal processing (DSP) offers an easy Beginner mode, but you may prefer to take total control in Expert mode, and tweak the sound to perfectly suit your listening space. Whichever way you choose, you can make your changes via a free smartphone app, available for Apple® and Android™ devices.
My hands-on experience with the KEF LSX
When I listen to music on a powered stereo speaker made by KEF – large or small – I expect clarity and detail, and they always perform admirably. But there's one virtue shared by all of the LS line that consistently delivers above and beyond my expectations. They always produce musical bass that fills the available space.
I unboxed a pair of compact LSX active speakers at home, connected them to my Wi-Fi network, and put them through their paces. Even without a break-in period, a cello sonata sounded rich and full, and when I switched to electronic music I could feel the low notes in my sternum. I don't know how they do it, but I'm glad they do.
These speakers are also beautiful to look at. No need to hide them away. I borrowed the black version, and the cloth outer skin made them feel like an organic part of my decor — like I had chosen them specifically to match my room. They're more than elegant enough to sit in any room of my home as everyday speakers.
KEF LSX speakers come in a variety of eye-pleasing colors. All versions except Gloss White feature a cloth-wrapped cabinet.
A wide "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places each speaker's tweeter in the acoustic center of the bass/midrange cone. That lets LSX speakers create a detailed, accurate, three-dimensional sound image. In essence, it makes the "sweet spot" — the ideal listening position — much larger. Sit wherever you like! It'll sound fantastic.
Customizable room EQ with the free app
KEF knows each room is unique, so they've put the power of choice in your hands. Just download KEF's free app, and you'll be able to tune the speakers to suit your space. Once you've made all the big adjustments, you can revisit and make fine-tuning tweaks to your heart's content.
We've seen evidence that some professional sound engineers are using LSX speakers as studio monitors. KEF wisely included an Expert mode in their app, so advanced users can tweak output to suit their needs. For studio use, we recommend making wired connections for minimal latency and high digital sample rates.
- frequency response: 59-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- bi-amped design with separate Class D woofer and tweeter amplifiers for greater headroom and lower distortion
- woofer amplifier power: 70 watts
- tweeter amplifier power: 30 watts
- legendary industrial designer Michael Young signature edition
- Uni-Q Driver Array technology makes your entire room sound like the "sweet spot"
- individual 24-bit/192kHz DAC for each driver
- 4-1/2" magnesium/aluminium alloy woofer
- 3/4" vented aluminium dome tweeter
- remote included
- peak SPL: 102 dB
- Bluetooth® 4.2 with aptX® for high-quality audio streaming performance
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for audio streaming from DLNA devices on your network
- precise digital signal processing controls allow optimal room integration
- free downloadable app lets you make pinpoint EQ adjustments with your Apple® or Android™ device
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear port for accurate, musical bass
- MDF enclosure with elegant curved front baffle
Connections (located on back of right-hand speaker):
- Toslink digital optical input (accepts signals up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- 3.5mm aux input
- 10/100 Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet input for network connection
- RJ-45 port on each speaker for connecting the pair
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 6-1/8"W x 9-1/2"H x 7-1/8"D
- weight: 7.7 lbs. (left speaker), 7.9 lbs. (right speaker)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # LSXGRN
What's in the box:
- 2 Powered wireless audio speaker
- Two 6.5' AC power cords
- 10' Ethernet cable
- Remote control (CR2032 3V battery pre-installed)
- Mazintenace Guide
- Warranty Information
- Important Safety Information
KEF LSX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF LSX
KEF LSX Speaker System: The KEF LSX is a compact two-speaker wireless music system offering the convenience of wired & wireless source connectivity - including WiFi, DLNA, AirPlay 2 (future firmware update), Bluetooth, Aux, and Optical (toslink). The LSX speaker system utilizes KEF's advanced acoustic design technology, features that are usually reserved for much larger hi-fi speakers, for audiophile-grade sound quality. With two speakers (instead of just one) positioned apart from each other, you'll experience music as a 3D stereo soundstage, with the pin-point imaging and sense of presence that one-box systems just cannot produce.
Note: Each speaker is self-amplified and will require connection to AC power. However, only the "Master" speaker is equipped with the audio source connections. The "Master" and "Slave" unit can be paired together wirelessly via WiFi or hardwired together via the included 10' Ethernet cable.
Uni-Q Driver Array: The LSX speaker system utilizes KEF's breakthrough Uni-Q driver array. By placing the tweeter at the center of the midrange and bass cone, it radically improves stereo imaging. This not only makes music sound clear, detailed and lifelike, it does so across a wider listening area. The Uni-Q driver array consists of a 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter and 4.5" magnesium/aluminum alloy cone.
Class-D Amplification: The LSX speaker system employs two Class-D amplifiers inside each speaker to power the tweeters and woofers. 30 watts is allocated for each tweeter, while 70 watts is delivered to each woofer provides a total system power of 200 watts. The result is high-fidelity sound at any volume level with no distortion.
Note: Because each speaker has it own built-in amplifier, you will need plug in each speaker into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
KEF's Music Integrity Engine: The LSX speaker system uses KEF's Music Integrity Engine. This Digital Signal Processing (DSP) help ensures accurate time alignment and phase coherence, helping the speakers deliver transparent bass with great extension, while reducing distortion. Now you'll be able to fill your room with rich, full-bodied sound.
Twin DACs: The KEF LSX speaker system's dedicated twin DACs provide a pristine signal path of up to 24-bit/96kHz (using a wired Ethernet connection between the two speakers) or 24-bit/48kHz (using a wireless WiFi connection between the two speakers).
Optimized Curved Cabinet w/ Bass Port: The LSX speaker system's gently curved cabinet was designed with extensive use of Finite Element Analysis as well as featuring constrained layer damping as found in KEF's high-end audiophile products. Optimized using Finite Element Analysis, The LSX speaker system's contoured baffle improves sound dispersion, ensuring that sound waves travel outwards and are not reflected around the cabinet surface. On the rear cabinet of each speaker is a flared port for smooth bass response without "chuffing". The result is a purer sound and accurate bass, with less cabinet coloration.
Note: The LSX speaker system does not include grilles.
Subwoofer Output: The KEF LSX speaker system features a rear-panel mono-RCA subwoofer output for connection of a powered subwoofer (sold separately).
Mounting & Placement Options: Compact, elegant and incredibly versatile, the LSX speaker system looks great and fits comfortably into practically any decor. The two speakers in the KEF LSX speaker system can simply be put up on a table, shelf, desk, stands, or other piece of AV furniture. With no need for a cable to connect the two speakers, and no separate amps or other equipment to worry about connecting, you can position them almost anywhere.
Note: The KEF LSX speaker system does not include wall brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall mount the speakers.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The KEF LSX speaker system can be connected to your home network via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. There is a RJ-45 Ethernet port (10/100Mbps) on the back of the speaker which allows for a hardwired connection. Built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) allows the LSX speaker system to connect wirelessly to your home network. This network connection allows you to use to control the speaker system using dedicated apps on your Apple iOS or Android device, access select online music services such as Tidal & Spotify, playback music content on DLNA compliant Windows PCs and servers, and in the future support Apple AirPlay 2.
App Control: The LSX speaker system offers app control through the KEF Stream App, KEF Control App, and Roon Remote (requires firmware update) for both Apple iOS & Android OS devices.
- KEF Stream App: The KEF Stream App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) provides full control of the LSX speaker system using your compatible smartphone or tablet. It provides initial setup for connection to your WiFi network, as well as notifications of firmware updates as they become available. You'll also get access to select online music services such as Spotify & Tidal, as well as access to local music libraries stored on a Windows PC or other DLNA media service. You can even stream music stored locally on your Apple iOS or Android device to the LSX speaker system from the app. In addition, you get playback controls and song/artist info with album art on the KEF Stream app.
- KEF Control App: The KEF Control App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) provides comprehensive remote control functionalities for LSX speaker system, further enhancing the user experience. It can be used as a stand-alone app or in combination with the above KEF Stream app. In addition to source selection, playback & volume control, firmware updates; the app offers advanced audio adjustments such as Speaker Sound Profiles, Volume Customization, and Switching between Left/Right speakers. However, the KEF Control App does not provide access to Tidal or Spotify.
- Roon Remote (available firmware update): Thanks to an available firmware update and the Roon Remote App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 4.4+), the LSX speaker system can now use the Roon music player software to identify your personal music collection and simultaneously acts as a searchable digital engine, providing in-depth information about that collection such as album descriptions and artwork, artist photos and bios, critical reviews, tour dates and lyrics. When coupled with an additional subscription to TIDAL, Roon finds links between the your personal file and the millions of tracks available from the streaming service, so that new music can be discovered from the world beyond your own personal collection.
Online Music Services: With a wired or wireless network connect, LSX speaker system provides access to Tidal and Spotify using the KEF Stream app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
- Tidal: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers millions of songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the LSX speaker system from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
AirPlay 2 (via future firmware update): Through an available firmware update (scheduled for early 2019), the KEF LSX will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the KEF LSX speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the KEF LSX. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the LSX speaker system
DLNA Compliant: Through a wired or wireless network connection, the KEF LSX speaker system can be used as a DLNA Digital Media Renderer and play back a variety of music files (up to 24-bit/48kHz) from a Windows PC, DLNA server, and NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. Compatible music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV.
Bluetooth 4.2: With its built-in Bluetooth 4.2 and support for A2DP, you are able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop) to the KEF LSX speaker system. You'll still need to control music playback and view song/artist/album info from your Bluetooth source device.
- aptX: In addition to support the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the KEF LSX offers support for aptX. With aptX, you can stream "CD-quality" (16-bit/44kHz) sound from aptX compatible devices; such as newer Android smartphones and tablets. Now your wireless music can sound rich, full, and natural with less compression.
- SSP: With SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), Bluetooth source devices can be paired with a single press of a button and without entering a PIN code. Up to 8 devices can be paired with the LSX speaker system and two devices can remain connected, but only one device can be playing at a time.
Note: The KEF LSX speaker system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: In addition to wireless network and Bluetooth connectivity, the KEF LSX speaker system offers analog and digital audio inputs. There is one 3.5mm Aux input and one optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports for 2ch PCM audio (up to 24-bit/96kHz); it does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multi-channel formats.
USB Charging Port: A rear-panel USB (type-A) port rated at 5V/2A can be used to charge your smartphone's or tablet's battery.
Note: The USB charging port does not support audio playback.
Power Requirements: Each speaker is powered by standard household current using its internal power supply and a detachable 6.5' AC power cord.
Note: The KEF LSX speaker system is not battery powered.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?