About the KEF Q550
Big sound from a compact tower
Big sound from a compact tower
Our customers have loved the sound quality that KEF packs into each of their thoughtfully designed speakers. Crutchfield is excited to now carry the British hi-fi company's high-value, high-performance Q Series lineup, which includes several elegant floor-standing speakers. The Q550 is the smallest tower of the bunch, but delivers exceptional sound quality thanks to KEF's high-quality driver and cabinet design.
Use a pair of the Q550s as part of a high-performance music or Q Series home theater system.
A room-filling "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places the Q550's 1" aluminum dome tweeter into the acoustic center of the cabinet's topmost 5-1/4" woofer. This concentric design allows sound to originate from a single point source, making the speaker's "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger.
I've had the pleasure of hearing Uni-Q technology in person many times with KEF's super-popular, award-winning LS50 speakers. Even when sitting off to the side or in the back of our listening room, I've enjoyed detailed, three-dimensional sound. You can expect the same in your home with a pair of the '550s.
Ideal for music, movies, and more
The speaker's 5-1/4" Uni-Q driver is joined by a separate 5-1/4" woofer dedicated to reproducing low frequencies. These two woofers team up with a pair of passive radiators to deliver accurate, punchy bass with your favorite albums, movies, sports broadcasts, and video game soundtracks.
Optional magnetic grille available separately.
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter with waveguide
- dual 5-1/4" aluminum woofers
- the tweeter and topmost woofer use KEF's Uni-Q technology, which places the tweeter in the center of the woofer
- this specialized positioning creates a large listening "sweet spot" in your room
- dual 5-1/4" aluminum passive radiators for enhanced bass performance
- frequency response: 58-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 15-130 watts
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) design
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- black satin matte finish
- optional magnetic grille available separately
- included plinth and carpet spikes provide added stability
- 11-13/16"W x 36-1/2"H x 12-1/4"D (with plinth and spikes)
- weight: 32 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Q550B
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 Outrigger feet
- 4 Spikes
- 6 Screws
- 6 Washers
- 4 Rubber inserts
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
KEF Q550 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF Q550
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||Optional|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||58-28k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Uni-Q Driver Array: At the heart of the Q Series loudspeaker is the Uni-Q driver array. This signature innovation by KEF places the tweeter in the acoustic center of the midrange cone, with both drivers acting as a single point source. The result is a more detailed, accurate three-dimensional sound image, which is dispersed more evenly throughout the room than is possible with any conventional speaker. The Uni-Q driver array is made up of a 1" aluminum dome tweeter and a 5.25" aluminum midrange driver.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: At the center of the Uni-Q driver array is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter that utilizes KEF's "tangerine" waveguide over the tweeter dome for ultra-wide dispersion. Further enhancements to the 1" aluminum dome tweeter is a damped loading tube and a cone-neck de-coupler. The damped tweeter loading tube reduces any harshness in the lower treble frequencies by gently terminating the sound produced from the rear. The cone-neck de-coupler reduces output in the cone breakup region to improve high frequency performance.
- 5.25" Aluminum Midrange Driver: The Uni-Q driver array's 5.25" midrange driver features an aluminum cone structure that has been engineered to reduce cone breakup and improve midrange performance. The driver's optimized suspension allows more movement, better controlled excursion, and lower distortion for accurate bass performance. As well as allowing the driver's cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation.
Isolated Sealed Uni-Q Chamber: The Uni-Q driver array is isolated in a closed chamber inside the speaker cabinet to reduce distortions. The closed box midrange cabinet design reduces the load on the Uni-Q midrange cone, increasing clarity and detail while delivering cleaner, punchier bass.
Low-Frequency Woofer + Dual Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABR): The Uni-Q driver array is paired with a 5.25" low frequency woofer and dual Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABR). The same aluminum cone found in the Uni-Q's midrange driver is also used in the bass woofer and dual ABRs for excellent low-distortion midbass/bass performance. The woofer's vented magnet assembly on a rigid metal chassis and 50mm voice coil offers incredible power handling, while the new rubber rear suspension of the ABRs provides greater excursion and a lower tuning frequency so that the speaker can play deeper and louder. Both types of drivers feature a large roll surround that allows a longer throw with less distortion at high sound pressure levels.
Sleek Cabinet Design: The sculpted Q Series finish epitomizes KEF's approach with seamless, sleek cabinets unblemished by visible fittings and joints. Q Series speakers are coated with a fine satin finish with matching driver colors. If you wish to conceal the drivers, an optional magnetically attached speaker grille (see Accessories Tab) is available and sold separately.
Gold-Plated Binding Post Terminals: On the rear of the speaker cabinet is a pair of heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts must be removed from the binding posts to use banana plugs.
Outrigger Feet w/ Spikes: The included outrigger feet and spikes provide a larger, more stable footprint with greater stability. The outrigger feet screw into the bottom of the speaker cabinet, while the spikes screw into the bottom of the outrigger feet using the supplied hardware. Once the outrigger feet and spikes are installed and the speaker is positioned, the spikes can be adjusted from the top of the outrigger feet to make sure the speaker is level with your floor.
- Dimensions w/ Outrigger Feet & Spikes: 11.625" (w) x 36.5" (h) x 12.3125" (d)
- Dimensions w/ Outrigger Feet Only: 11.625" (w) x 35.1875" (h) x 12.3125" (d)
- The spikes are designed for carpeted flooring. These spikes can cause damage to hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring (there are no rubber feet included).
- The speaker should not be used without the outrigger feet installed for stability and performance reasons.
- A pair of speakers should be positioned 6' to 10' apart. They can be "toed-in" or angled inward toward the main listening area to improve stereo imaging and soundstage.
Q Series: Q Series speakers by KEF deliver natural, accurate, high-resolution sound. First introduced in 1991, the multiple award-winning Q Series has long delighted music lovers and audiophiles with outstanding sound quality and innovative design. The Q Series, now in its 8th iteration, brings high resolution sound with more depth and more clarity. The Q Series consists of three floorstanding speakers (Q550/Q750/Q950), two bookshelf speakers (Q150/Q350), center channel speaker (Q650C), and Dolby Atmos speaker (Q50A) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: A KEF Kube series powered subwoofer (sold separately) is the perfect addition to the Q Series loudspeakers.
3 questions already asked