About the KEF R2c
Detailed KEF sound for your home theater's center channel
Detailed KEF sound for your home theater's center channel
Meet the R2c, the voice-matched center channel for KEF's gorgeous, newly redesigned R Series speaker lineup. While the previous generation earned rave reviews from Crutchfield employees and customers alike, these new R Series models are jam-packed with upgrades that promise even sweeter, more refined sound.
Precise imaging, thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places the speaker's 1" tweeter in the acoustic center of a 5" midrange driver. The R2c and other R Series models feature the latest refinement of this concentric driver technology. KEF has managed to reduce coloration by cutting resonance in the tiny gaps between the Uni-Q array's elements, for purer and more precise sound and even better imaging. And the ring you see around the Uni-Q array is what KEF calls their "Shadow Flare": its shape is carefully profiled to reduce high-frequency diffraction (a kind of interference), for the purest possible sound.
High-tech woofers for punchy bass
Each of the two 5-1/4" hybrid aluminum woofers is made up of a shallow aluminum skin atop a paper cone. This hybrid design allows very precise movement, for dynamic, accurate bass.
Part of a complete KEF surround sound system
The KEF R Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- 3-way design
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter
- 5" aluminum midrange driver
- tweeter and midrange use KEF's Uni-Q technology, with tweeter in center of midrange driver
- creates a large listening "sweet spot" in your room
- two 5-1/4" hybrid aluminum woofers
- frequency response: 74-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 15-200 watts
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet with Constrained Layer Damping to reduce resonance
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- high-gloss piano black finish
- detachable microfiber grille
- 21-11/16"W x 6-15/16"H x 12-7/16"D (including terminals)
- weight: 37.3 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R2CBL
What's in the box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- Warranty Information
KEF R2c reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF R2c
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||5|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Frequency Response||74-28k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
3-Way Center Speaker: The KEF R Series R2c center-channel loudspeaker utilizes a 3-way driver design that consists of a 12th Generation Uni-Q driver array with a 1" tweeter mounted in the center of a 5" midrange driver, plus dual 5.25" low-frequency bass drivers for exceptional clarity, flawless precision, and superb dynamics.
12th Generation Uni-Q Driver Array: At the heart of the R Series loudspeaker is KEF's Uni-Q driver array. This signature innovation by KEF places the tweeter in the acoustic center of the mid-bass cone, with both drivers acting as a single point source. The R Series benefits from a new 12th generation Uni-Q Driver Array which has been extensively designed using KEF's in-house simulations and analysis tools. KEF's engineers have been able to dramatically reduce coloration through reducing resonance in the small gaps between the Uni-Q's separate elements. The resulting sound is purer and more precise with better stereo imaging.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: At the center of the Uni-Q driver array is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter with KEF's tangerine waveguide to help disperse the higher frequencies evenly across a wider angle and flood the room with a natural soundfield. The tweeter's large neodymium magnet and a computer-optimized dome structure deliver articulate high frequencies with flawless precision. In addition venting the tweeter reduces pressure behind the dome, increasing midrange bandwidth and lowering distortion.
- 5" Aluminum Alloy Midrange: Surrounding the 1" aluminum dome tweeter is a 5" aluminum midrange driver. The R2c's midrange response is amazingly fast and clean, thanks to the aluminum alloy cone, KEF's Z-flex surround smoothing the transition to the front-panel, and a sturdy die-cast aluminum chassis that prevents resonance from being transferred to the cabinet. In addition, large voice coils increase the driver's power handling and dynamics, reducing distortion and delivering exceptional vocal clarity.
Shadow Flare: Derived directly from KEF's Reference Series, the Shadow Flare is an innovative method of reducing harmful cabinet diffraction for delicate high-frequencies. Shadow Flare is a carefully profiled transition surface which extends the waveguide effect of the Uni-Q Driver Array. The tweeter no longer has line of sight of the cabinet edges, creating a "shadow region" at the points where the potential for diffraction is highest. The result is vastly improved fine detail, particularly when it comes to the subtle nuances of plucked strings and other percussive sounds.
Dual 5.25" Bass Drivers: The KEF R2c center-channel speaker houses two 5.25" hybrid aluminum bass drivers. The R Series bass drivers have a two-part structure with a shallow concave aluminum skin atop a paper cone. Combine this stiffness with the cone's unique geometry and you get near pistonic movement for low-frequency punch and fast speed. KEF has also increased linearity in the magnet system which means more impressive and impactful bass.
Acoustic Suspension Cabinet: The KEF R2c employs an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure for accurate and detailed sound reproduction. The KEF R Series speaker cabinet benefits from a constrained layer damping with internal bracing which is highly effective at dissipating unwanted vibrations that would otherwise artificially change the sound of the music.
Microfiber Grille: The KEF R Series loudspeaker comes with a microfiber grille that is hand-crafted and compressed with heated pressure from 13 layers of composite material. The R Series speaker is designed to sound its best with or without the grille installed. The microfiber grille magnetically attaches to the cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: On the rear of the speaker cabinet are dual sets of heavy-duty, nickel-plated binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts must be removed from the binding posts to use banana plugs. Using the dual sets of binding posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high/mid frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high/mid & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: Unlike many other speakers with dual binding posts, the R Series loudspeaker does not use jumper straps or leads between the high frequency and low frequency terminals. Instead there are two dials (labeled "Link") for the positive and negative high and low frequency terminals which can be adjusted to either connect the high and low frequency terminals together to power the speaker off a single amplifier channel (default setting) or disconnect the high and low frequency terminals from one another in order to bi-amp the high and low frequency drivers separately.
Mounting & Placement Options: The KEF R2c center channel speaker is designed to be mounted horizontally on a flat tabletop surface (such as an AV stand, speaker stand or shelf). The R2c should be centered below or above your television. The included self-adhesive rubber feet protect your furniture and add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the center speaker.
Note: There are no included brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to accommodate wall mounting.
R Series: The KEF R Series combines innovations from KEF's Reference Series with new custom-made technologies and a 12th generation Uni-Q Driver Array to deliver incredible detail and dynamic sound. The KEF R Series consists of three floorstanding loudspeakers (R11/R7/R5), one bookshelf loudspeaker (R3), a center-channel speaker (R2c), and a Dolby Atmos surround speaker (R8a).
Optional Powered Subwoofer: For even bigger and deep bass response, you can add one of KEF's powered subwoofers; such as the KF92 or one of their Kube Series powered subs (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).