About the KEF R3
Lovely, lively, and refined
Lovely, lively, and refined
KEF's R3 stand-mount speakers are part of the company's newly redesigned R Series. While the previous generation earned rave reviews from Crutchfield employees and customers alike, these new R Series models are jam-packed with upgrades that promise even sweeter, more refined sound. And pictures don't quite do justice to the beautiful gloss black, gloss white, and walnut finishes.
A room-filling "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places the speaker's 1" tweeter in the acoustic center of a 5" midrange driver. This concentric array allows sounds to originate from a single point source, making the "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger.
The R3 and other R Series models use KEF's latest refinement of Uni-Q technology. KEF has managed to reduce coloration by cutting resonance in the tiny gaps between the Uni-Q array's elements, for purer and more precise sound and even better imaging. And the ring you see around the Uni-Q array is what KEF calls their "Shadow Flare": its shape is carefully profiled to reduce high-frequency diffraction (a kind of interference), for the purest possible sound.
High-tech woofers for punchy bass
The R3's hybrid aluminum woofer is made up of a shallow aluminum skin atop a paper cone. This hybrid design allows very precise movement, for dynamic, accurate bass. And the rear-firing port has innovative flexible walls to prevent air turbulence and unwanted resonance from coloring the sound.
Good stands are highly recommended
Just as with any bookshelf speakers, you'll do yourself a favor if you place the R3s on a nice, solid set of speaker stands, which help minimize vibrations that can color the sound. And because these particular speakers are rear-ported, they'll sound better if you can place them with a little extra space between them and the wall behind them.
Part of a complete KEF surround sound system
The KEF R Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- 3-way design
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter
- 5" aluminum midrange driver
- tweeter and midrange use KEF's Uni-Q technology, with tweeter in center of midrange driver
- creates a large listening "sweet spot" in your room
- 6-1/2" hybrid aluminum woofer
- frequency response: 52-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 15-180 watts
- bass-reflex cabinet with Constrained Layer Damping to reduce resonance
- rear-firing port with flexible port technology for clear, articulate bass
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- high-gloss white finish
- detachable microfiber grille
- 7-15/16"W x 16-11/16"H x 13-9/16"D (including terminals)
- weight: 29.8 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # R3WH
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 2 Foam port plugs
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- Warranty Information
KEF R3 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KEF R3
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Hybrid aluminum|
|Frequency Response||52-28k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||N/A|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||18-24|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
3-Way Bookshelf Speaker: The KEF R Series R3 bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a 3-way driver design that consists of a 12th Generation Uni-Q driver array with a 1" tweeter mounted in the center of a 5" midrange driver, plus a 6.5" low-frequency bass driver for exceptional clarity, flawless precision, and superb dynamics.
12th Generation Uni-Q Driver Array: At the heart of the R Series loudspeaker is KEF's Uni-Q driver array. This signature innovation by KEF places the tweeter in the acoustic center of the mid-bass cone, with both drivers acting as a single point source. The R Series benefits from a new 12th generation Uni-Q Driver Array which has been extensively designed using KEF's in-house simulations and analysis tools. KEF's engineers have been able to dramatically reduces coloration through reducing resonance in the small gaps between the Uni-Q's separate elements. The resulting sound is purer and more precise with better stereo imaging.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: At the center of the Uni-Q driver array is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter with KEF's tangerine waveguide to help disperse the higher frequencies evenly across a wider angle and flood the room with a natural soundfield. The tweeter's large neodymium magnet and a computer-optimized dome structure deliver articulate high frequencies with flawless precision. In addition venting the tweeter reduces pressure behind the dome, increasing midrange bandwidth and lowering distortion.
- 5" Aluminum Alloy Midrange: Surrounding the 1" aluminum dome tweeter is a 5" aluminum midrange driver. The R3's midrange response is amazingly fast and clean, thanks to the aluminum alloy cone, KEF's Z-flex surround smoothing the transition to the front-panel, and a sturdy die-cast aluminum chassis that prevents resonance from being transferred to the cabinet. In addition, large voice coils increase the driver's power handling and dynamics, reducing distortion and delivering exceptional vocal clarity.
Shadow Flare: Derived directly from KEF's Reference Series, the Shadow Flare is an innovative method of reducing harmful cabinet diffreaction for delicate high-frequencies. Shadow Flare is a carefully profiled transition surface which extends the waveguide effect of the Uni-Q Driver Array. The tweeter no longer has line of sight of the cabinet edges, creating a "shadow region" at the points where the potential for diffraction is highest. The result is vastly improved fine detail, particularly when it comes to the subtle nuances of plucked strings and other percussive sounds.
6.5" Bass Woofer: The KEF R3 bookshelf speaker houses a single 6.5" hybrid aluminum cone bass driver. The R Series bass drivers have a two-part structure with a shallow concave aluminum skin atop a paper cone. Combine this stiffness with the cone's unique geometry and you get near pistonic movement for low-frequency punch and fast speed. KEF has also increased linearity in the magnet system which means more impressive and impactful bass.
Non-Resonant Cabinet w/ Flexible Port Technology: The KEF R Series speaker cabinet benefits from a constrained layer damping with internal bracing which is highly effective at dissipating unwanted vibrations that would otherwise artificially change the sound of the music. The speaker cabinet also utilizes a bass reflex design with a rear-firing port that features innovative flexible walls. Using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) the flare and profile of each port is calculated to delay the onset of turbulence and the flexible port walls prevent resonances from coloring the midrange.
Note: A foam port plug is included to insert into the rear-firing port, if the bass is to "boomy" due to room placement.
Microfiber Grille: The KEF R Series loudspeaker comes with a microfiber grille that is hand-crafted and compressed with heated pressure from 13 layers of composite material. The R Series speaker is designed to sound its best with our without the grille installed. The microfiber grille magnetically attaches to the cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: On the rear of the speaker cabinet are dual sets of heavy-duty, nickel-plated binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts must be removed from the binding posts to use banana plugs. Using the dual sets of binding posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high/mid frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high/mid & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: Unlike many other speakers with dual binding posts, the R Series loudspeaker does not use jumper straps or leads between the high frequency and low frequency terminals. Instead there are two dials (labeled "Link") for the positive and negative high and low frequency terminals which can be adjusted to either connect the high and low frequency terminals together to power the speaker off a single amplifier channel (default setting) or disconnect the high and low frequency terminals from one another in order to bi-amp the high and low frequency drivers separately.
Mounting & Placement Options: The bookshelf speaker can simply be placed on a stand, table-top, shelf, or other flat-surface. The included self-adhesive rubber feet protect your furniture and add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker. A pair of speakers should be positioned 5' to 10' apart and placed between 18" to 24" off the floor. They should be positioned at least 9" from the back wall due to their rear-firing port and 20" from side walls. The speakers can be "toed-in" or angled inward toward the main listening area to improve stereo imaging and soundstage.
Note: There are no included brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to accommodate wall mounting.
R Series: The KEF R Series combines innovations from KEF's Reference Series with new custom-made technologies and a 12th generation Uni-Q Driver Array to deliver incredible detail and dynamic sound. The KEF R Series consists of three floorstanding loudspeakers (R11/R7/R5), one bookshelf loudspeaker (R3), a center-channel speaker (R2c), and a Dolby Atmos surround speaker (R8a).
Optional Powered Subwoofer: For even bigger and deep bass response, you can add one of KEF's powered subwoofers; such as the KF92 or one of their Kube Series powered subs (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
1 question already asked