Our take on the KEF R900 by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Sweet, detailed sound — and lots of it
Putting together a "dream" system for high-performance stereo or home theater? A pair of KEF's R900 floor-standing speakers would make a great foundation. Depending on your tastes, you may or may not even need a subwoofer: this speaker's dual 8" woofers provide serious low-frequency output down to 40 Hz. Feed this speaker good, clean power, and you should practically be swimming in the detailed, refined sound that made KEF a famous name in speakers worldwide.
Each elegant cabinet is finished in beautiful gloss black and includes stabilizing outrigger feet with carpet spikes and protective discs for hardwood or tile floors.
A room-filling "sweet spot," thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places the speaker's 1" tweeter in the acoustic center of a 5" midrange driver. This concentric array allows sounds to originate from a single point source, making the "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger.
High-tech woofers for punchy bass
The two 8" aluminum woofers are designed flatter than most woofer cones. That makes them stand out visually, but more importantly, they produce deep, dynamic bass. Massive magnet structures and large aluminum voice coils help these woofers remain accurate and musical at all volume levels.
- 3-way design
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter with waveguide
- 5" magnesium/aluminum midrange driver
- the tweeter and midrange use KEF's Uni-Q technology, which places the tweeter in the center of the midrange driver
- this specialized positioning creates a large listening "sweet spot" in your room
- dual 8" aluminum woofers
- frequency response: 40-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 25-250 watts
- bass-reflex cabinet with CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) rear-firing ports for accurate, musical bass
- nickel-plated binding posts accept pins, banana connectors, or bare wire
- two sets of input terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- high-gloss piano black finish
- detachable magnetic cloth grille
- included plinth and carpet spikes provide added stability
- 14-1/8"W x 46-1/2"H x 15-3/8"D (with plinth)
- weight: 65 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Outrigger feet
- 4 Spikes
- 4 Protective discs
- 4 Screws
- 4 Collars
- 4 Washers
- 4 Rubber caps
- 4 Foam port plugs
- Installation Manual
- Warranty Registration Card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||40-28k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Floorstanding Speaker: Featuring an all-new Uni-Q driver array and two 8.0" low-frequency bass drivers, the 3-way KEF R900 floorstanding loudspeaker delivers clarity and realism with flawless precision and superb dynamics. Its stylishly, uncluttered appearance beautifully complements its startling clear highs, fast and clean midrange response, and accurate low-end frequencies.
All New Uni-Q Driver Array: The R900 floorstanding loudspeaker features KEF's all new Uni-Q driver array with a 1" aluminum dome tweeter mounted in the acoustic center of a 5" magnesium/aluminum midrange driver. With both the tweeter and midrange driver operating as a single-point-source, you'll hear detailed, accurate three-dimensional sound, which is dispersed more evenly throughout your room.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: At the center of the Uni-Q driver array is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter with KEF's tangerine waveguide to help disperse the higher frequencies evenly across a wider angle and flood the room with a natural soundfield. The tweeter's large neodymium magnet and a computer-optimized dome structure deliver articulate high frequencies with flawless precision. In addition venting the tweeter reduces pressure behind the dome, increasing midrange bandwidth and lowering distortion.
- 5" Magnesium/Aluminum Midrange Driver: Surrounding the 1" aluminum dome tweeter is a 5" magnesium/aluminum midrange driver. The R900's midrange response is amazingly fast and clean, thanks to the braced magnesium/aluminum alloy cone, KEF's Z-flex surround smoothing the transition to the front-panel, and a sturdy die-cast aluminum chassis that prevents resonance from being transferred to the cabinet. In addition, large voice coils increase the driver's power handling and dynamics, reducing distortion and delivering exceptional vocal clarity.
Dual 8.0" Bass Drivers: In addition to the a Uni-Q driver array, the R900 floorstanding loudspeaker also features two all-new 8.0" bass drivers for lower frequencies. The combination of a massive vented magnet assembly and a large, lightweight aluminum voice coil driving a light, stiff and strong aluminum cone assures clean, deep and uncompressed bass output with superb dynamics and power handling, plus fast and clean midrange response.
Computer Designed Crossover: The KEF R900 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes computer-designed crossovers (400Hz, 2.9kHz) that allow the level of each driver to be fine-tuned for a smoother, flatter response.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Port Design: Featuring a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) port design, the geometry of the bass reflex ports have been tuned to minimize turbulence at high levels, reducing noise and low frequency compression. Four ports are located on the rear of the speaker cabinet.
Note: Foam port plugs are included to insert into the rear-firing ports, if the bass is to "boomy" due to room placement.
Non-Resonant Cabinet: The R Series speaker cabinet employs constrained layer damping between the bracing and the enclosure walls and also the front-baffle, to prevent the cabinet from vibrating and radiating sound. The result is a non-resonant cabinet with no coloration. An acoustic transparent grille is also included which magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
Dual Binding Posts: On the rear of the speaker cabinet are dual sets of heavy-duty, nickel-plated binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts must be removed from the binding posts to use banana plugs. Using the dual sets of binding posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high/mid frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high/mid & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: Unlike many other speakers with dual binding posts, the R Series loudspeaker does not use jumper straps or leads between the high frequency and low frequency terminals. Instead there are two dials (labeled "Link") for the positive and negative high and low frequency terminals which can be adjusted to either connect the high and low frequency terminals together to power the speaker off a single amplifier channel (default setting) or disconnect the high and low frequency terminals from one another in order to bi-amp the high and low frequency drivers separately.
Outrigger Feet: The included outrigger feet provide a larger, more stable footprint with greater stability. The outrigger feet screw into the bottom of the speaker cabinet, while the include spikes screw into the bottom of the outrigger feet using the supplied hardware. Once the outrigger feet and spikes are installed and the speaker is positioned, the spikes can be adjusted from the top of the outrigger feet to make sure the speaker is level with your floor. The spikes are designed for carpeted flooring. Protective discs are also included to put under the spikes if placing the speaker on hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring
- Dimensions w/ Outrigger Feet, Spikes, & Protective Discs: 14.125" (w) x 46.25" (h) x 15.375" (d)
- Dimensions w/ Outrigger Feet & Spikes: 14.125" (w) x 46.0625" (h) x 15.375" (d)
- Dimensions w/ Outrigger Feet Only: 14.125" (w) x 45.3125" (h) x 15.375" (d)
Note: The speaker should not be used without the outrigger feet installed for stability and performance reasons.
Placement Options: A pair of R900 floorstanding speakers should be positioned 6' to 10' apart. They should be positioned at least 9" from the back wall due to their rear-firing port and 39" from side walls. The speakers can be "toed-in" or angled inward toward the main listening area to improve stereo imaging and soundstage.
R Series: The R Series features many of KEF's latest innovations in premium hi-fi and home theatre loudspeaker technology. Stunningly fluent Uni-Q driver arrays combine with potent new bass drivers and many ingenious refinements to create a rich, spacious, accurate sound. The R Series consists of a three floorstanding speakers (R500/R700/R900), two bookshelf speakers (R100/R300), two center speakers (R200c/R600c), and two surround speakers (R50 Dolby Atmos/R800ds Dipole) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: A KEF Kube series powered subwoofer (sold separately) is the perfect addition to the Q Series loudspeakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.