Crutchfield's "Back To School" guide
Get geared up for anything college throws at you
Heads up!Welcome to this article from the Crutchfield archives. Have fun reading it, but be aware that the information may be outdated and links may be broken.
Your shopping guide to fun gear with free lifetime tech support!
6 Dorm Room Must Haves
- Avoid distraction with the Bose® QuietComfort® 35 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® wireless headphones. Shop more headphones here.
- Set alarms, play music, even order an Uber with the voice-activated Amazon Echo virtual assistant speaker.
- Do homework on your laptop, enjoy Netflix in the background, one of the many perks of having Sony's 40" 4K Ultra HD TV. Shop more TVs here.
- Take a break from work with a solid binge-watching session by streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video with the Roku Premiere.
- College Tip: Stay organized. Systems like the Salamander Designs A3/B Archetype 3-shelf audio stand keeps your gear neat and convenient to use!
- The two-in-one design of Belkin's Valet Charger makes sure you're never left with dead gear!
8 Things You Never Knew You Needed for College
- The waterproof JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speaker can handle any weekend adventure you throw at it, and there's nothing like some mountaintop tunes after a long hike! Shop more portable Bluetooth speakers here.
- Stream shows and movies right to your TV with the Roku 3600R Streaming Stick — so much entertainment packed into one compact device. That means weekend-long Netflix binges and (your parent's) HBO are all within your reach.
- Noisy neighbors don't have to be a problem. The Bose® QuietComfort® 35 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® wireless headphones block it all out, which means you can actually read the chapter you were assigned. Shop more headphones here.
- Messes happen, and Mom's not there to clean up after you. But don't worry — Dyson's V6 Cord-free vacuum has your back. Shop more Dyson vacuums here.
- Late-night snacking and mid-morning naps are all part of college, but don't let your health take the back seat. Tom Tom's Spark 3 Cardio activity tracker monitors all of your activity, whether it's on the treadmill, in the pool, or on the court. You'll get a full set of stats everyday to help you monitor and reach your fitness goals! Shop more fitness trackers here.
- Staying active is easier said than done. Stay motivated by listening to music with the Beats by Dr. Dre® Powerbeats3 wireless sport headphones. Shop more sport headphones here.
- College Tip: Save room wherever you can! A small room doesn't have to mean a small TV. Simply buy a stand that takes up less surface area like the Inland Universal TV Stand.
- Tell Alexa to set an alarm to wake you up in twenty minutes when you need a quick nap before your next class with the Amazon Echo virtual assistant speaker.
8 Things Every Girl Needs For College
- Cute, comfortable, great audio quality, and wireless? The Rose Gold Beats by Dr. Dre® Solo3 wireless on-ear headphones make long treks across campus way more enjoyable. Shop more headphones here.
- Have Bachelor-night at your apartment this semester! With a 55" screen, the whole crew can gather in front of this Samsung 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR. Shop more TVs here.
- Mophie's Juice Pack iPhone® case and built-in backup battery gives you peace of mind that you'll never be stuck on campus without a charged phone.
- The Amazon Echo can play your favorite tunes, place an Amazon order, and even set up an Uber ride, all through Alexa.
- College can be super-stressful. Treat yourself to a mental break and an endorphin boost by taking time to exercise! Create goals, track activity, and your progress with Tom Tom's Spark 3 Cardio activity tracker. Shop more fitness trackers here.
- Sometimes a jam sesh requires more than just your laptop speakers. Marshall's Kilburn Bluetooth speaker can really get loud and is utterly adorable, the perfect addition to any dorm or apartment. Shop more portable Bluetooth speakers here.
- How annoying is it to work out and constantly have headphone wires swinging around? Solve the problem with Bose® SoundSport® wireless sport headphones, and get ready to beast it out at the gym. Shop more sport headphones here.
- Sporadic sunrise hikes, weekend trips to the beach, or hammock-chilling on the quad — the waterproof JBL Charge 3 Bluetooth speaker is ready for anything! Shop more waterproof portable Bluetooth speakers here.
9 Things Every Guy Needs For College
- Turn your dorm in the perfect place to chill. Portable speakers like the Bose® SoundLink® Color Bluetooth® speaker fill your home-away-from-home with your favorite tunes. Shop more portable Bluetooth speakers here.
- Class. Gym. Food. Library. There's no time to worry about a dead phone. The Mophie Juice Pack iPhone case and built-in backup battery adds hours of battery life to your phone so you never have to stress about forgetting your charger!
- Accurately measure your distance, heart rate, and calories burned as you let off some steam at the gym with Garmin's vivosmart® HR+ activity tracker. Shop more fitness trackers here.
- What if your roommate takes the only bed close to an outlet?! These are the kind of things you don't have to worry about if you have Belkin's Valet Charger.
- If you're more into the classics and enjoy the sweet sound of vinyl, investing in a nice setup like the Klipsch R-15PM and Pro-Ject turntable package isn't a bad idea. Shop more turntables here.
- What's better than a personal assistant in college? The Amazon Echo voice-controlled personal assistant speaker can be that and a whole lot more. Just tell Alexa when you need to wake up or to remind you that your quiz is due before midnight!
- Whether it's lifting weights or going for a run, music helps get you in the zone and stay focused for your entire workout. Beats by Dr. Dre® Powerbeats3 wireless sport headphones take the annoying wires out of the equation so you can exercise distraction-free. Shop more sport headphones here.
- Have all of your boys over for the big game! With a 55" 4K Ultra HD screen, this Samsung TV will make everyone feel like they're actually in the stands. Shop more TVs here.
- Sometimes the library is the last place you want to be. So if you need to focus someplace else, make Bose® QuietComfort® 35 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® wireless headphones your new best friend. Shop more headphones here.
8 College Must Haves For Music Lovers
- If you're a vinyl junkie, having a high-quality setup like the Klipsch R-15PM and Pro-Ject turntable package is a worthwhile investment. Shop more turntables here.
- Truly focus on your favorite song (or that track you've just recorded) with Bose® QuietComfort® 35 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® wireless headphones. Shop more headphones here.
- Don't let a lack of space mean that you have to sacrifice sound quality. Polk Audio's MagniFi Mini soundbar and wireless sub pack in a lot of power and barely take up any room, which is perfect for college housing. With a Bluetooth connection to your phone, you can use it to stream music too! Shop more soundbars here.
- Yamaha's PSRE253 Kit portable keyboard and Gigmaker Standard acoustic guitar are both great, low-investment options for any music lover interested in trying out a new instrument. You may even be able to take classes for credit at your school!
- Another great option for high-quality, space-saving audio gear is the Sonos PLAYBASE. It fits directly under your TV and really enhances your viewing experience! Plus, it's a great place to start if you plan on building out a Sonos system. Shop more Sonos gear here.
- Instantly improve the sound quality of your phone's or computer's audio with the AudioQuest's DragonFly® Black DAC/headphone amplifier.
- Marshall's Kilburn Bluetooth speaker: Bring character and serious volume to your music with this cool speaker designed to look like it fits in a classic Marshall stack. Shop more portable Bluetooth speakers here.