Introduction to home theater & TV sound
From sound bars to full surround sound setups
Tara W. has worked for Crutchfield since 2004. She writes about whole-house music and video gear, and works on Crutchfield's video team.
More from Tara W.
Heads up!Welcome to this article from the Crutchfield archives. Have fun reading it, but be aware that the information may be outdated and links may be broken.
Today's HDTVs produce stunning pictures, but most have tiny built-in speakers that fail to deliver big, convincing sound. It takes a separate sound system to provide realistic, engaging audio to match the quality of a high-def picture.
You've got plenty of options for getting good sound, from simple one-speaker systems to full multi-speaker home theater systems. Below is a list of guides that answer many commonly asked questions about these popular TV sound setups. They will help you get an idea of what system is right for your room.
What Are Your Audio Options?
- Learn about four ways to add great sound to your TV.
- Get the scoop on single-speaker "sound bar" systems.
- Find out about the components you need for home theater.
- Understand exactly what each speaker in a home theater system does.
- Learn how Dolby® Digital, DTS® and other formats work their magic.
- Compare formats in this handy surround sound chart.
Need to Plan Your Viewing Room?
- Learn all about choosing your TV's screen size and placing your TV in a room.
- Check out diagrams and tips on home theater speaker placement.
- Read tips on connecting speakers without having wires all over your floor.
- Find out what kind of speaker wire you should be using.
- Get some tips on how to manage all of your cables.
- Become familiar with the TV audio and video connections available to you.
- Get some answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.