Home speakers 101
Learn about selection, placement, hookup, and more
Loren Barstow started at Crutchfield in 1999. After working a few years as a sales advisor, he moved on to become a writer and then an editor. He has written about televisions, Blu-ray players, speakers, and various other audio/video components.
More from Loren Barstow
Heads up!Welcome to this article from the Crutchfield archives. Have fun reading it, but be aware that the information may be outdated and links may be broken.
Below you'll find links to articles that will help you find the best speakers for your needs and set them up for their best performance.
Which speakers are best for you?
- Learn how to choose stereo speakers
- Understand what each speaker does in a home theater system.
- Add bottom-end punch to your music and movies with a subwoofer.
- Keep your floor and shelf space free and clear with in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
- Get the scoop on choosing and installing outdoor speakers.
- Find out how to choose a "sound bar" speaker.
Where to put your speakers
- Watch our video on speaker placement to learn the basics.
- Learn where to put home theater speakers.
- Check out our guide on positioning in-wall, in-ceiling, and on-wall speakers.
- Get tips on placing speakers in a stereo setup.
- Watch a video on installing in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
- See our video on installing outdoor speakers.
- Install in-wall or in-ceiling speakers in your home using our installation guide and comprehensive in-wall wiring guide.
- Take a look at our in-depth article on choosing speaker wire.
- See our tips on connecting home theater speakers.
- Read our article on connecting and tuning your subwoofer.