Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Clarion CMD7 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Why settle for a regular car stereo or an upgraded "marine" model when you can have a receiver that's built from the ground up for use in a boat? Clarion's CMD7 marine receiver is built to give you outstanding sound, while standing up to the tough marine environment. Rubber gaskets, a conformal-coated circuit board, and rigorous build quality all ensure that this receiver will entertain your crew for years to come.
Enlist your audio gear
The CMD7 is ready to play your tunes, however you like them. The rear USB input provides a connection for thumb drives or your iPod® while the rear auxiliary input adds another option for portable players. Many boaters love the variety and range of satellite radio — you can add an optional tuner and enjoy all the variety it gives you.
And don't forget your discs — the CMD7 plays all your store-bought or home-burned CDs, as well as discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files. Whatever your source, you'll be able read all the song and artist info clearly — even in bright sunlight — courtesy of the 2-line black-on-white display. A 3-band EQ lets you tailor the tone to your taste, and you can turn your system into a heavy-hitting cruiser by adding amps to the two sets of preamp outputs.
Remote control ready
You can add a wireless remote control to your system, or add on Clarion's MW1 and MW2 wired remote controls — place one at the helm and you'll still be able to control the receiver that you've installed below. Or pick up Clarion's MF1 and enjoy radio frequency remote control of the recevier wherever you are on the boat.
What's in the Box:
- Marine AM/FM CD receiver (with rubber gasket and two transport screws installed)
- Wiring harness (with in-line 15A and 1A fuses installed)
- Six 1-1/8" self-tapping screws
- Hex nut
- 2 Flat washers
- Rear support strap
- 2 Self-adhesive pads
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Wire Connection Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty sheet
- Installation template
- Caution note
- marine CD receiver with built-in amplifier (19 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- conformal-coated circuit board
- meets ASTM B117 (salt/fog Exposure) and ASTM D4329 (UV exposure) standards
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- watertight, flip-down face with a 2-line black-on-white display
- optional wireless remote control
- 3-band EQ
- iPod control built in
- compatible with satellite radio tuners
- inputs: rear USB input, rear auxiliary input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
Features and Specs
|Android Control||USB MSC/MTP protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||19 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Marine Tested: The Clarion CMD7 Marine CD receiver has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The receiver meets or exceeds ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure and ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standards. The CMD7 offers full IPX5 tested and certified Water Intrusion protection. The faceplate features a unique rubber gasket and door assembly offering the internal components complete water protection. The unit features a sealed stainless steel chassis, a front panel rubber gasket and drip shield over the wire connections to keep water from dripping onto the internal circuits, behind the faceplate and wire connections. The receiver also features a HumiSeal coated PCB to protect against corrosion. This means the main circuit boards feature a silicone coating to help resist the effects of humidity.
Oversized Fold-Down Face: The CMD7 features an oversized fold-down face with a rubber surround so your CD-disc stays protected behind the unit's marine rated face-plate. The front panel mechanically folds down to load and eject CDs. The unit's face features a high visibility 2-line display.
Note: The face-plate is not detachable.
Contrast: You can set the contrast level between 1 and 10 for best display visibility.
Illumination Dimmer: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the boats lights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the boats light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate.
Screen Saver: This unit is provided with a Screen Saver function which allows you to show various kinds of patterns and characters in the operation status indication area of the display in a random order. You can turn this function on or off. If the button operation is performed with the screen saver function "On", the operation display corresponding to the button operation is shown for about 30 seconds and then the display returns to the screen saver display.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CMD7 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the CMD7 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CMD7 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 19 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 45 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
BeatEQ: In addition to providing 3 preset equalization patterns (Bass Boost, Impact, and Excite), Clarion's BeatEQ lets you freely customize the level and range of the bass, midrange and treble portions of each pattern. You can tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience.
- Bass Boost: Bass is emphasized +/-3.
- Impact: Bass and treble are emphasized +/-3.
- Excite: Bass, midrange, and treble are emphasized +/-3.
- Custom: Adjusts the bass, midrange, and treble
- Bass: You can set the effected bass frequency to 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 200Hz and the Q-factor to 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, or 2.0
- Midrange: You can set the effected midrange frequency to 500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.0kHz and the Q-factor to 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, or 1.25
- Treble: The effected treble frequency can be set to 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 15kHz, or 17.5kHz; the Q-factor is fixed
- Off (Flat): Bass, midrange, and treble are set to 0.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
4ch/2V Preamp Output: The Clarion CMD7 features 4ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front, Rear/SW). The unit's rear preamp outputs can be configured as a dedicated non-fading RCA subwoofer output with a low-pass filter and level control (+/-6).
Beep: The headunit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The CMD7 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with U.S. and European tuning.
Tuning Modes: The built-in tuner offer 3 tuning modes - Seek, Manual, and Preset.
Preset Tuning: The CMD7 provides 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. Each AM/FM bank can hold up to 6 station presets, proving you with 18 FM station presets and 6 AM station presets. Stations can be stored manually or automatically.
Preset Scan: Preset scan receives the stations stored in the headunit's preset memory in order. This function is useful when searching for a desired station in memory.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- Sirius Satellite Radio: To receive Sirius Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SC-C1 Sirius Connect Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1, sold separately) directly to the headunit's Sirius direct connection (no proprietary interface required). You can also connect the Sirius dock-and-play adapter (607SCVDOC1) along with a compatible portable Sirius radio (all sold separately).
- Auxiliary Input: A portable XM or Sirius Satellite Radio receiver can also be connected to the headunit via the front-panel auxiliary input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from Sirius or XM.
Compatible Discs: The Clarion CMD7 marine CD receiver supports playback of CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-Text discs.
MP3/WMA Playback: : The unit can play MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (8-320 kbps) audio files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs using ISO9660 Level 1/2, Joliet, Romeo, or Apple ISO formats. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels per folder, up to 999 filers per folder, and a total of 3,000 files. This unit is compatible with, and will display MP3 and WMA ID3 tags.
Top Function: The Top Function resets the CD player to the first track of a CD-audio disc. In the case of an MP3/WMA disc, the first track of a folder being played will be reset.
Scan Play: This function allows you to locate and play the first 10 seconds of all the tracks recorded on a CD or the first 10 seconds of the first track of all the folders on an MP3/WMA disc.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 15 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Backup Eject: The Backup Eject feature allows you to eject a disc even if the power to the unit is turned off.
USB Port: The Clarion CMD7 is equipped with a rear-panel USB type-A port attached to the chassis by a 39" pigtail that is USB1.1 and USB 2.0 compatible. The CMD7 supports playback of MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (8-320 kbps) audio files recorded in FAT12/16/32 onto a USB mass storage/MTP device. By supporting MTP, this unit will playback WMDRM10 protected files. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels per folder, up to 255 filers per folder, and a total of 510 files. This unit is compatible with, and will display MP3 and WMA ID3 tags. The CMD7 offers USB playback functions such a Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Track/Folder), Repeat (Track/Folder), and Random (Folder/All) as well as a screen list of your connected USB mass storage device's tracks and folders.
Note: The optional Clarion 62" USB extension cable (020CAUSB, sold separately) features a male USB type-A connector on one end which plugs into the headunit's rear-panel USB port and a female USB type-A port on the other end with a rubber cap that can be flush-mounted for a permanent and safe installation in a marine environment.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Clarion CMD7 allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone to the headunit's front-panel USB port using your iPod's USB/Dock cable for audio playback, control, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. This headunit also supports the display of title information transmitted from your iPod/iPhone.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 1-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 80dB.
- Audio Playback: The Clarion headunit supports audio playback of music files stored on your iPod or iPhone. iPod Video can be viewed by connecting the CMD7 to an external universal monitor with RCA video input and connecting a compatible iPod/iPhone via the optional Clarion CCA748 cable (020CCA748, sold separately).
- Music Navigation: The headunit lets you search music for playback from your iPod/iPhone by category (Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer). You can then search each category alphabetically. You can also control the following playback functions of your iPod/iPhone: Skip Tracks, Fast-forward/backward, Pause, Repeat, and Random. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Information Display: The headunit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, and Album Label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CMD7 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of May 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: This unit features a rear mounted, stereo RCA auxiliary input on a 6" pigtail so you can connect an external audio source. The sensitivity of the inputs can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
Note: The optional Clarion auxiliary extension cable (020CCAUX, sold separately) turns one pair of the headunit's stereo RCA inputs into a single stereo minijack (3.5mm) input. The auxiliary extension cable's 3.5mm connector features a rubber-cap and can be flush mounted for a permanent and safe installation in a marine environment.
Optional Wireless Remote: The CMD7 is compatible with Clarion's RCB-176 IR remote control (020RCB176, sold separately) for wireless operation of the marine receiver.
Optional Wired Remote: The unit is also equipped with a rear mounted DIN connector to accommodate an optional Clarion wired marine remote control. The Clarion MW1 (020MW1, sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD display; and the Clarion MW2 is a hard-wired remote control without an LCD display (020MW2, sold separately).
Mounting: The CMD7 requires a rectangular cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis. Six screws (supplied) fasten the faceplate against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket against the bulkhead. A clear, self-adhesive template is supplied to assist you with the cutout and drilling the screw holes. You can install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard I-, J-, or E-sized automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Chassis Width: 7.125"
- Chassis Height: 2.025"
- Chassis Depth: 7.0625"
- Nose Width: 7.765"
- Nose Height: 3.515"
- Nose Depth: 1.9375"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has four mounting holes across the top, above the chassis, and two holes below the chassis for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The screw hole spacing is as follows:
- Top Row:
- Total Width: 7.0625"
- Width Between Two Center Holes: 2.375"
- Width Between End Holes and Adjacent Center Holes: 2.375"
- Bottom Row Width: 7.25"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Rows): 2.9375"
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.875"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.