Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Hideaway marine digital media receiver with Bluetooth® (does not play CDs)
Item # 020CMS5 | MFR # CMS5
Price Break: -$250.00
$599.99 Earn up to 600 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Clarion CMS5 by Crutchfield's Jon Paulette
A hideaway hub for your music
If you carry all of your music in your phone or other portable device, Clarion's marine-rated CMS5 digital media receiver is like a source unit and a multimedia hub all in one. This compact package consists of a 4.3" color LCD controller and a hideaway "black box" that lets you create a system custom-tailored to your on-the-water entertainment needs.
Black box receiver
The CMS5's hideaway box contains a built-in AM/FM/Weather Band tuner, plus a USB port for your iPhone, a second USB port for another device, and an auxiliary input. Built-in Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling and music streaming with just about any phone.
If you love Pandora® Internet radio, just connect your iPhone® or iPod touch® and enjoy all your favorite stations while you're enjoying a day on the water. You can even give your "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" with the Clarion's controls. You can also plug in a USB thumb drive or portable player and enjoy MP3, WMA, and MP4 files you've ripped from your CD collection.
The CMS5 works with the SiriusXM tuner (not included), so you can enjoy the wide variety of entertainment provided by satellite radio up to 100 miles offshore. It even supports iTunes® Tagging, Artist Alerts, Song Alerts, Game Alerts and Replay to keep you current on the music, news, sports, and entertainment that matter to you.
Handy watertight controller
With the CMS5's "black box" installed, you can control everything from the watertight wired controller. The simple, robust design and IP66-rated water resistance combine to give you maximum functionality and reliability, even in the tough marine environment. The 4.3" LCD lets you see what's playing or who's calling, plus you can watch downloaded video. When you plug your rear-vision camera into the dedicated RCA input on the box, you can even see what's behind you when you're backing out of the slip. Best of all, J1939 compatibility means that you can control this Clarion receiver through your boat's multi-function display.
Start building your system here
The CMS5 is a terrific start toward building a great marine audio system. The receiver houses a built-in amp (19 watts x 4), and you can access bass and treble controls through your wired remotes. You'll appreciate the three pairs of preamp outputs when you add marine amps, along with the dual-zone outputs that allow you to play different sources in different parts of the boat.
Clarion invests thousands of hours into making their marine electronics tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain. All that hard work leads to quality gear that's engineered to stand up to the extremes of a marine environment.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
What's in the Box:
- Marine display controller
- Hide-away connection module
- Wiring/Preout harness
- Remote/USB harness
- AV/Camera harness
- 10' Cat-5 cable
- Mounting bracket
- 4 Mounting screws
- 2 Bolts
- 2 Hex-nuts
- 2 Lock-washers
- Owner's Manual / Quick Start Guide / Installation Guide on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide booklet
- Warranty sheet
- marine digital media receiver
- package includes compact hide-away black box and 4.3" color LCD controller
- built-in MOSFET amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak by 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth
- global AM/FM/Weather Band tuner
- iPod/iPhone Direct Control via USB
- Pandora Internet radio
- Android Smartphone-compatible
- plays USB, MP3, WMA
- Beat EQ and Magna Bass EX
- dual-zone entertainment controls
- switchable high-pass and low-pass filters
- 3-band parametric equalizer
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: RCA audio/video input; two 2.1-amp USB ports; RCA composite camera input
- outputs: composite video output; 8-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub, plus 2-channel rear zone)
- wireless remote included, marine wired remote ready
- J1939 interface port allows control of this Clarion from your boat's multi-function screen
- low power consumption mode when powered off
- long memory retention for presets
- meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (salt/fog exposure)
- meets or exceeds ASTM D4329 (UV exposure)
- Humi Seal-coated PCB
- controller dimensions: 6"W x 4"H x 1"D
- black box dimensions: 8"W x 7"H x 2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Rear (RCA)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Display Color||Full Color|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
Marine Tested: The Clarion CMS5 Marine Mechanism-Less Source Unit has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The unit meets or exceeds ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure and ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standards. The CMS5 offers full IPX6 tested and certified Waterproof protection. The CMS5 features a water resistance chassis and HumiSeal coated PCB to protect against corrosion.
Note: The CMS5's watertight commander is waterproof (XPX6). The hide-away commander unit is water resistant (IPX3).
Hide-Away Module: The Clarion CMS5 includes a hid-away module which contains all of the system's hardwired connections. The hide-away module also contains the system 4-channel amplifier and AM/FM/Weather tuner. The hide-away module connects to the display controller via a 10' Cat-5 cable.
Watertight Commander w/ LCD: With the hide-away connection module installed in a water-protected area, you can control everything from the CMS5's wired watertight commander unit. Its simple design is void of any mechanisms to maximize reliability. Its optically-bonded 4.3" color LCD screen provides video playback and song/artist information, while the 3-way rotary dial and push-buttons offer simple control. You can adjust the brightness of the unit's LCD.
Low Battery Voltage Warning: A "Low Battery Voltage Warning" will appear on the unit's LCD screen when your boat's Battery Voltage drops to or below 10v. The audio will stop until voltage increases to 10.4v or above, then the audio will resume. This will help from draining too much current from the battery until the voltage increases.
Favorites: The unit's "Favorites" button gives you easier access to your AM/FM tuner, weather band, and SiriusXM presets; as well as your Pandora stations and phone contacts. A total of 32 "Favorite" spots are reserved for the combination Pandora, Radio (FM/AM/WB), SiriusXM, and Phone Contacts.
Video Lock: To prevent the displaying of video while your boat is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied wiring harness must be connected to a 12-volt switch (sold separately). This switch should only be activated when the boat is stopped and its safe to view video.
Wired & Wireless Remotes (Optional): The unit is equipped with two rear mounted 8-pin DIN connectors to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls. There is also a 3.5mm SWC input (adapter required; sold separately).
- Wired Remotes: The MW1 (020MW1; sold separately) and MW4 (020MW4; sold separately) are hardwired remote controls with an LCD screen.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (020MF1, sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (020MF2, sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the Clarion marine stereo system via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 6.0+).
Note: When more than two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's Y-adapter (020MWRYC, sold separately) is required. You can use up to a total of 4 remotes.
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion CMS5 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion CMS5. Visit Clarion's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion CMS5 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Clarion head unit, but only one can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (Mic sold separately): The Clarion CMS5 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone (you will need to purchase Clarion's RCB-204 microphone (020RCB204, sold separately). The CMS5 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vessel's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. Clarion's RCB-204 external mic carries on your side of the conversation while your boat's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your marine speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion
in-dash head unit's front-panel controls.
- Direct Dial: Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the marine stereo's rotary control knob.
- Phonebook: You can search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion CMS5 and then make your call.
- Call Log: You can also make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion CMS5.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion CMS5 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Clarion CMS5 for playback. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the CMS5 incorporate the lossless Bluetooth aptX codec which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience. Many Android smartphones support aptX (iPhone does not support aptX).
- Basic Playback Control: You can use the front-panel controls of the CMS5 to operate basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music & music apps; such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (not compatible with all apps). Advanced music control of your stored music and music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Dual USB Ports: The CMS5's hide-away module is equipped with two USB (type-A) ports for connection of a USB mass storage class device, such as your USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The CMS5 supports playback of MP3/WMA music files recorded on these USB MSC devices (up to 32GB). You can search for music files in a folder alphabetically or numerically. The unit also offers USB playback functions such a Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Previous/Next), Intro Scan, and Repeat/Random. This unit will also charge (2.1A) your connected USB device when the receiver is turned on.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class)|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling
rate of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 filers per folder/3,000 total files|
|Tags||ID3 tag, WMA tag|
Note: This unit's USB ports does not support Android devices, USB hubs, or card-readers.
iPod AV Playback: The Clarion CMS5 supports audio & video playback from your Apple device via its USB and RCA connectivity (additional cable required). You also get control of your audio/video content, display of song/artist information, and charging of your device. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ will remain unlocked during connection so you can access apps on your iPod/iPhone. If you have an older Apple device, the touchscreen or clickwheel will be locked when connected to the CMS5.
- Music Control: The Clarion CMS5's USB ports act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the cable that came with your 30-pin or Lightning iPod/iPhone. This type of connection allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the Clarion marine receiver. The Clarion receiver allows you to navigate your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast. You can search these categories alphabetically or numerically. The receiver also supports Repeat (file/all) playback functions of your connected iPod/iPhone.
- Optional Video: iPod Video from a 30-pin Apple device can be viewed on the CMS5's LCD screen using Clarion's CCA748 cable (020CCA748, sold separately). You can search your iPod's video library by Movies, TV shows, or Podcasts. You can search each of these categories alphabetically or numerically.
- Information Display: The receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. The unit will also display song/artist information for select music apps.
- Battery Charging: The receiver's USB connections provide 2.1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CMS5 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/7/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM/Weather Tuner: The CMS5 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with US and European tuning. The built-in AM/FM tuner offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The CMS5 allows you to store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations. The CMS5 is also equipped with a built-in weather band tuner.
|Channel (Ch)||Frequency (MHz)|
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion CMS5 using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), via the cable that came with your iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The CMS5 provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up/thumbs down or bookmark songs/artists that are currently playing.
- Song/Artist Display: The CMS5 will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion CMS5 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- iTunes Tagging for your USB-connected iPod or iPhone
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CMS5 employs a MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) power amplifier capable of delivering 50W (Peak) x 4ch of high quality sound with superior linearity & less distortion than conventional power amps, even with the volume cranked up.
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the CMS5 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/4V RCA Outputs: The Clarion CMS5 features 6ch/4V RCA line-level outputs for Front, Rear, & Sub.
Sub Control: The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (-10 to +10) and phase adjustment (0/180°), as well as a variable low-pass crossover (70/80/90/100/110/120/140Hz) .
5-Band EQ: The Clarion CMS5 offers a 5-band EQ (80Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 8kHz)to tailor the unit's sound to your preference.
Source Volume Control (SVC): You can adjust the volume level of each source independently from 0 to 10.
AV Inputs: The CMS5 is fitted with two sets of AV inputs. Each AV input consists of a composite video input and a stereo RCA input.
Dual Zone Output: With the unit's Dual Zone RCA outputs, it is possible to split your boat into two discrete audio zones to enjoy different audio sources of entertainment. You will need an external amplifier or powered speakers in the second zone. Volume levels can be individually controlled for each zone from the CMS5.
Video Output: The marine stereo's composite video output allows you to output the same video signal that is being played back on the CMS5's LCD screen to an external monitor (sold separately).
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional marine-rated rear-view camera (sold separately). This allows you to see what's behind your boat while on the water. The unit's harness includes a camera trigger wire which can be connected to a +12-volt switch (sold separately).
Watertight Commander: The watertight commander should be mounted to a dry, clean, and flat surface; using the mounting bracket and hardware. The watertight commander comes with an aluminum surface mount C-clamp. The remote mounts to the front of your mounting surface, while the mounting bracket mounts behind the mounting surface. The bracket attaches to the back of the remote via the included hardware and sandwiches the mounting surface in between the remote and bracket. You will need to drill two 0.1875" screw holes to attach the bracket to the remote, and you'll will need drill out a 0.8125" (in diameter) opening for the wired remote's cable to pass-through.
- Width = 6.3125"
- Height = 3.9375"
- Depth = 1.8125"
Hide-Away Module: The hide-away module should be installed in a dry, water-protected area. Select an area with sufficient ventilation for the mounting of the hide-away module in order to prevent the module from overheating. You may mount the module in a horizontal or vertical position. The hide-away module features integrated mounting flanges and included four mounting screws.
- Width = 9.9375"
- Height = 2.625"
- Depth = 7.75"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I would not pick this unit! it is the only one that will fit in my Slingshot bike, but it is nothing but problems and I had to replace it once already and can see it coming again. if you have another choice id go with it! [ Larry Aug 24, 2016 ]
7 questions already asked
The Clarion offers it's own built-in display and does not offer the option to connect to third-party displays. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jan 27, 2017 ] Staff
The only video input is the RCA cable. [ Aedranes Mir Nov 15, 2016 ]
It's a Ethernet connection using a cat5 cable. The one that came with it was too short so I made a longer one and it worked perfect. [ Joel Nov 15, 2016 ]
For details on installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the best fit for your needs and give you the details on what you will need for an installation. [ Kenny Jul 19, 2016 ] Staff
1 answer I have a usb thumb drive with music files on it and I tried to use on usb 1 and 2 both read the drive and played for a little then quite and now it acts like I don't have it plugged in. This is a brand new cms5 and thumb drive unit but it will not play the thumb drive or even recognize it. Any ideas on what could be wrong? [ chris Feb 29, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Feb 29, 2016 ] Staff
The CMS5 supports playback of MP3/WMA music files recorded on these USB MSC devices (up to 32GB), however it doesn't appear to support playback of any video files from a connected USB device. It also only has a single monitor output so you would have to use a video "Y" cable if you wanted to split that signal to two separate monitors. [ Larry Nov 20, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Oct 11, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: We show it offers built in Bluetooth, but not really sure until product research is complete whether this will have advanced control via Bluetooth or hands free calling. So to answer this precisely we need wait until product research has been completed. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Sep 17, 2015 ] Staff