Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Watch a product demo
Crutchfield: Clarion NX404 display and controls
From Clarion: NX404 Navigation Receiver
Our take on the Clarion NX404 by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Your in-dash multimedia and smartphone command center
Whether you rock an iPhone® or Android™ smartphone, you want a receiver that gives you the most control. Clarion's NX404 navigation receiver not only delivers accurate guidance and a wealth of entertainment options, but it gives you safe ways to integrate your phone so you and your passengers can stay connected on the go.
It all starts with the gorgeous 6.2" touch display
The NX404's 6.2" screen gives you a great view of the receiver's built-in maps of all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada. You'll have access to over 11 million points of interest, along with 3D mapping that allows realistic views of terrain, buildings, and landmarks in select metropolitan areas. The display also supports "flick" operation, just like your smartphone. Animated menu icons that can be dragged and dropped give your dash a little personality, while allowing you to prioritize functions and A/V sources.
Bluetooth® for hands-free calls and streaming music
Built-in Bluetooth lets you talk hands-free on your compatible phone so you can keep your hands on the wheel. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call and hear your caller over the speakers. And you can even stream tunes if your phone or other device supports it. The NX404 features a built-in microphone, or you can add an optional external mic for added clarity during calls in problem vehicles.
Android smartphone integration
Connect a compatible Android smartphone to the NX404 with an HDMI cable to enjoy the receiver's Android compatibility, which allows you to see the display of your smartphone right on the receiver's screen. You can do a lot of cool stuff when you're parked, like check out photos and high-definition video, surf the web, and view smartphone apps on the 6.2" display.
Clarion caters to the iPhone, too
Apple users can enjoy direct iPod® and iPhone audio control with a simple USB connection or via Bluetooth. iPhone 5/5c/5s users will need to add a couple of more adapters, including an HDMI cable and an Apple Lightning™ Digital AV Adapter to get full access to audio and video content from their device.
Pandora® Internet radio as you roam
Take your Pandora stations with you — run the free Pandora app on your phone and control it from the NX404's touchscreen. You can skip tracks, change stations, and thumbs up/thumbs down songs just like you do online. For the iPhone, you'll need a USB or Bluetooth connection; Android phones control Pandora via Bluetooth.
A sound choice
Into full-resolution audio files? The NX404 will play lossless FLAC audio files from your flash drive, so you can enjoy up to 24-bit/192 kHz clarity behind the wheel. Clarion's powerful built-in amp does a great job driving your speaker system. You can choose from four preset tone settings, or make your own using the 3-band parametric equalizer. The subwoofer volume control lets you dial in just the right amount of bass if you've got a sub hooked up, and you've got high- and low-pass filters for further sound customization. Clarion includes a handy remote for additional tweaking.
The NX404 boasts myriad connection points beyond the HDMI input. You'll find a pair of USB inputs on the receiver's back panel, useful for plugging in a dedicated MP3 player plus a flash drive, and you can use the front 3.5mm A/V input and rear RCA A/V inputs for hooking up external sources. A dedicated rear-view camera input allows you to add a layer of safety to your travels. Three sets of 2-volt preamp outputs let you add amplifiers and subwoofers to the mix.
Fun for the cinematically inclined
Enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive — thanks to Clarion's "2-Zone" operation, your backseat gang can watch a video while you and your co-pilot enjoy music up front.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Product was great and was easy to install. Love the USB video feature and the dual zone. Exceptional price for all of the features!
Ben, Roanoke, Va
What's in the Box:
- Navigation receiver (w/ 6.2" touchscreen monitor)
- 8GB microSD map card (pre-installed)
- Remote control (RCX005)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp harness
- AV input/output harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 16.5' cable)
- HDMI connector bracket
- 2 Machine screws
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- 2 Wire splice taps (Red)
- 3 Self-adhesive wire clamps
- 3M tape
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide/Installation Manual
- Warranty Card
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Parrot Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for model compatibility)
- HDMI compatibility for select Android devices when parked requires optional HDMI adapter
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- plays lossless FLAC audio files from your flash drive
- remote control
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 11 million points of interest
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of select buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- 3-band parametric EQ with 4 presets
- low- and high-pass filters
- bass boost
- dual-zone A/V output
- inputs: dual rear USB inputs; front 3.5mm input; rear RCA A/V input; rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer); video output
Clarion NX404 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), RCA (rear), Mini (front)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
6.2" Touchscreen TFT Display: The Clarion NX404 has an integrated 6.2" TFT widescreen display with touchscreen controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB) and 1,152,000 total pixels. The unit's touchscreen panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
- Touchscreen GUI w/ Flick Control: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. The NX404 touchscreen responds to your finger gestures just as your smartphone screen would. You are able to drag & drop icons into different positions to customize the screen. The touchscreen also supports flick operation, so you can quickly scroll to another menu page.
- Short Cut Menu: The unit has a main menu for using all functions and a shortcut menu that groups together frequently used functions. Use of the shortcut menu allows you to quickly access frequently used functions Up to five frequently used functions can be registered to the shortcut menu.
- Dimmer & Brightness Control: The receiver's display automatically dims to a preset brightness when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. The wiring harness includes an orange/white lead that should be connected to the vehicle's parking light circuit in order for the dimmer feature to operate. You can also manually adjust the unit's Day & Night display brightness from 0-20.
- Variable Button Illumination (728 colors): Since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touchscreen, there are only four physical buttons (including a rotary dial) on the unit for the most basic and commonly-used functions. You can set the head unit's button illumination to 1 of 9 preset colors or have the unit scan through all the preset colors. You can also select three custom user colors by adjusting red, green, and blue values.
Start Up Time: The NX404 has a start up time of approximately 29.75 seconds from Off to the Map Screen.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus. Video can only displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you try to view video with the vehicle in motion, the head unit will simply display "CAUTION! Video is disabled for your safety".
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion NX404 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the NX404 in a custom 4" opening. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
Navigation Mapping Software: The map database (by TomTom) used by the Clarion NX404 was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. Navigation data is stored on the unit's preloaded 8GB microSD-card for quick access and response. The NX404 provides map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, and Puerto Rico. The NX404's integrated Clarion Mobile Map navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: It is easy to keep the navigation system up to date via naviextras.com and your Windows PC (XP and newer). Simply download new map data from Clarion's portal site (clarion.naviextras.com), store the updated map data on a microSD card and insert it into the Clarion NX404 via the front-panel microSD card slot. You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS (Global Position System): Clarion's built-in navigation helps you find your way to your destination with an integrated GPS receiver & external GPS antenna. The Clarion NX404 features a built-in SiRF GPS receiver and includes a GPS antenna which can be mounted on the dash with the included 3M tape or outside the vehicle on a flat magnetic surface. The NX404 uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display vehicle positioning and travel direction. The NX404 considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location. Three (good) or four (best) satellites must be receive to accurately determine location. This unit does not transmit your GPS position, so others cannot track you.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an magenta line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Clarion NX404 allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Clarion NX404's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Clarion NX404 offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance: In addition to graphic directions, the NX404 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The NX404 provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note:The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby.
Find Menu: The Find Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display.|
|Combined Search||You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.|
|Home||Store and easily recall your home address.|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or search for a city (central location), or search for the intersection of two roads.|
|Find Places||Search for over 11,000,000 points-of-interest (POIs) by name, phone #, or category; search near your current location, in a specific city, along your current route, or near your destination.|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall.|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Phone||Select a destination by entering phone #.|
|Coordinates||Enter geographic coordinates (latitude & longitude).|
Route Calculation: The Clarion NX404 calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can
choose which route method (Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation
unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Note: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of three routes with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel), Weight, and Dimensions (length x width x height).
My Route: "My Route" displays the route parameters and the calculated route in its full length on the map. You can also perform route-related actions such as editing or canceling your route, setting a start point for the route, picking route alternatives, avoiding parts of the route, simulating navigation or adding the destination to your Favorites.
Modifying A Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations and waypoints. You can add or remove destinations (waypoints), modify the start position or reorder the list. You'll be able to create a brand new route, add intermediate destinations (waypoints), and modify the final destination. Or, you can simply cancel your active route.
Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Quick Menu: The Quick Menu is a selection of controls and functions that are frequently needed during navigation. It can be opened directly from the Map screen by tapping Quick Menu icon. You can customize which controls and functions are accessible through the Quick Menu.
Calculator & Unit Converter: The calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic. The Unit Converter converts distance, speed, area, currency, temperature, volume, and weight.
Bluetooth Technology: The Clarion NX404 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile), HSP 1.0 (Headset Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Clarion NX404. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for complete list of compatible phones and players.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Clarion NX404 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can register up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices with the Clarion head unit (only one paired phone can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication: The NX404 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The NX404 can be set to automatically answer your incoming calls and mute any music audio to your vehicle's speakers so you can instantly carry on a phone conversation hands-free. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can make a call by entering the phone number, selecting a contact from your Phonebook list, or using the Call History Log of received/dialed/missed calls.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Clarion in-dash head unit's front-panel controls (with or without the parking brake engaged). Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers (0-9, *, #, +) directly via the head unit's touchscreen. You can also search for contact names in your mobile phone's phonebook from the Clarion NX404 and then make your call; the head unit can store up to 500 contact numbers. In addition, you can make a call by searching your mobile phone's call history (Received/Dialed/Missed) from the Clarion NX404.
Note: The Clarion RCB-204 (sold separately) is an external microphone which can be added to the Clarion NX404. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than the integrated microphone found on the front-panel of the head unit.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Clarion NX404 can stream & control music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your mobile device to the NX404 receiver. The unit offers basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, & Random/Repeat) for stored music and music apps. In addition, the NX404 provides a Track List of the stored music on your smartphone (AVRCP 1.4 phones only) and even offers Playlist/Artist/Album/Song/Genre/etc. browsing for stored music on your iPod/iPhone (iOS 6.0+); as a result you can find your music much quicker. The head unit will also display your stored music and music app song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Disc Compatibility: The Clarion NX404 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier. The NX404 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The head unit supports a variety of audio/video files recorded onto DVD or CD.
Dual USB Ports: The Clarion navigation head unit features two rear-panel USB type-A ports (attached to rear chassis by 42" cables) that allows you to connect portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as select Android devices (Froyo/Gingerbread 2.2+ OS only), digital audio players, and thumbdrives. The unit supports a variety of music and movie files recorded onto USB. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Clarion NX404 supports the following types of music and movie files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling frequency of 8-48kHz
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling frequency of 32-48kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16 or 24 bits w/ sampling frequency of 44.1-192kHz
max resolution of 720 x 480
AVI: max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG4: max resolution of 720 x 480
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
|MPEG4: max resolution
of 1920 x 1080
MPEG2: max resolution of 720 x 480
AVC/H.264: max resolution of 720 x 480
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||200 folders/1500 files (200 files per folder)||65,535 folders/65,535 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, & Album Art|
Playback Operations: The Clarion NX404 offers the following playback & search functions for disc and USB.
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks on a disc or within in a folder.
- Direct Search: You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific MP3/WMA track from a disc or USB device.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind : The NX404 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc or USB device is played.
- Repeat/Random: You can play back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc or USB device.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 5 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: You can insert or eject a disc with the unit off. If a disc is left in the ejected position for 10 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The Clarion NX404 supports direct connection of your 30-pin or Lightning-connector through its rear-panel USB port, rear-panel AV input, and rear-panel HDMI connector. The NX404 offers audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Clarion NX404's USB or HDMI connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Clarion receiver and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC).
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the Clarion NX404. Using Clarion's proprietary CCA-750 iPod/iPhone Video cable (020CCA750, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music on your iPod/iPhone and music apps on your iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies on your iPod/iPhone and video apps on your iPhone through the Clarion NX404. If you only desire audio playback, you can simply use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the NX404.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Clarion NX404 for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the Clarion DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the NX404, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Operation Modes: The Clarion NX404 lets you control your iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen, your iPod/iPhone's touchscreen/clickwheel, or a downloaded app.
- iPod Control + Song/Artist Information: In iPod Control Mode, the Clarion NX404 allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, Genre, Composer, Audiobook, or Podcast from its touchscreen monitor. You can also browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rental. Content in each category is listed alphabetically. The head unit also supports basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random of your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ also allow you to navigate stored music and movies, as well as access music and movie apps from the Apple device's touchscreen; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection. During iPod Control Mode, the navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The NX404 will also display song/artist information, station identification, and Album Art from select music apps in iPod Control Mode.
- Simple Control Mode: In Simple Control Mode, you can navigate stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Music browsing is disabled from the head unit's touchscreen; you'll still be able to control basic playback functions from the head unit, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. There is no song/artist information or Album Art in this mode and video content cannot be output to the receiver's touchscreen. The head unit will simple display "Simple Control Mode". Not all apps will be compatible.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
HDMI Mode: The Clarion NX404's HDMI mode and rear-panel HDMI input can be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices for mirroring and audio/video playback through the navigation receiver. You can listen to stored music and music apps (like iHeartRadio), as well a view stored video and video apps (like Netflix). The head unit's touchscreen will display the same screen which is displayed on your smartphone, as well as video only when your vehicle's parking brake is engaged (not always full-screen). Audio content can be heard without the parking brake engaged, but the unit will only display "Caution! Video is disabled for your safety". You cannot perform operation of the Android or Apple iOS device from the head unit's touchscreen; you will still need to use your mobile phone's touchscreen for operation. The following proprietary connector cables are required for Android or Apple iOS connectivity.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable; if you have a 30-pin iPhone 4/4S, you'll need a 30-pin digital AV adapter and the 30-pin dock cable (all sold separately). In addition, for both types of iPhones, you will need a a mobile-grade HDMI cable (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device.
- Android Connectivity: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver via a MHL-to-HDMI (sold separately). The Samsung Galaxy S3/4 and Note II requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged for the head unit to display video from your smartphone device or "mirror" your smartphone device's screen. Control of your smartphone must still be done from your smartphone's touchscreen (not the head unit).
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NX404 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/29/2014):
Apple Device Generation Tested Version Media Type Control Type Display Type Bluetooth Charge Audio Video Head Unit iPod/iPhone Pandora App Album Art Song/Artist Text Track Info Phone Audio iPhone 2G 3.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y N Y 3G 4.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y 3GS 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4 7.1.2 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 4S 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 5/5C/5S 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y 6/6+ 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y touch 1st 2.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 2nd 4.2.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 3rd 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 4th 6.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y 5th 8.0 Y Y* Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y nano 2nd 1.1.3 Y N Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 3rd 1.1.3 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 4th 1.0.4 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 5th 1.0.2 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 6th 1.2 PC Y N Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 7th 1.02 PC Y Y* Y Y N Y Y Y N Y Y classic 80GB 1.1.2 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 120GB 2.0.1 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y 160GB 2.0.4 Y Y Y Y N Y Y Y N N Y iPad 1 5.1.1 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 2 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 3 8.0 Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N 4/air 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y N mini 8.0 Y Y* Y Y Y Y Y Y N Y Y
- *Requires Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NX404 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NX404 offers Seek, Manual, and Preset tuning. The NX404's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 6 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NX404 automatically store the strongest stations for you. The Preset Scan feature receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order and scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially; this function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory. When "Local" seeking is turned On, only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
Pandora App (for iPhone/Android): The free Pandora App (either from iTunes Apps or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Clarion NX404 using your USB-connected or Bluetooth-paired Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The NX404 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information, as well as Album Art.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z). You can also choose to randomly playback songs from all your registered stations.
- Create New Station: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing on Pandora.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone/Android to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion NX404 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the NX404 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V RCA Output + Sub Level Control: The Clarion NX404 features 6ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14) and phase adjustment (normal/reverse).
Built-in Crossovers: The Clarion NX404 is equipped with built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers.
- Low-Pass Subwoofer Filter: The Low-Pass Filter (LPF) for the subwoofer preamp output will send only the low frequency range through the preamp outputs to ensure superb performance with a connected subwoofer. The low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range).
- High-Pass Filter: The NX404 features a High-Pass Filter (HPF) for the unit's front & rear channels, via speaker-output or preamp-output. You can adjust the high-pass filter from 60Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz, or Through (full-range). The HPF prevents low bass notes from distorting your front & rear speakers. The high-pass filter setting effects both the front & rear channels of the head unit.
BeatEQ: BeatEQ lets you tune the sound to your liking, depending on the category of music, for a more fulfilling listening experience. The Clarion navigation receiver provides 4 preset EQ curves (Bass Boost, Impact, Excite, Off) and 1 custom EQ curve. Bass Boost emphasizes the bass portion of your music; Impact emphasizes the bass & treble portions of your music; Excite emphasizes bass, midrange & treble portions of your music; while Flat sets the bass, midrange, & treble to 0. The Custom EQ lets you freely customize the frequency, Q-factor, and level of the bass, midrange, & treble.
|BeatEQ (Custom Mode)||Frequency||Q-Factor||Level|
|Bass||50Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz||0.7, 1, 1.4, 2.0||-7 to + 7 dB|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz|
|Treble||5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz|
Note: BeatEQ settings are applied to all sources.
Magna Bass EX (Extend): The Magna Bass Extend feature does not adjust the low frequencies like the normal sound adjustment function, but emphasizes the deep bass frequencies to provide you with a dynamic sound. This circuit boosts bass at an ultra-low frequency of about 50Hz, creating a rich, deep, defined bass rather than the muddy, booming bass of a standard loudness control. What is more, boost levels are dependent on the system volume, resulting in balanced system response and dynamic bass reproduction.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Clarion NX404 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV mini-jack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
HDMI/MHL Input: In addition to iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Audio/Video Output (with Dual Zone): The NX404 features a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA audio output that allows you to connect an external display and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can playback audio/video content from a Disc, iPod/iPhone, or AV 1/2 Input on a rear-seat monitor system; while viewing a different or the same audio/video source on the navigation receiver's touchscreen monitor.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera (such as the 020CC510, sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 2.75 seconds.
Note: Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touchscreen and hard-key controls, the NX404 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the navigation receiver and your connected devices. The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
23 questions already asked
1 answer I'm looking to buy this unit for my 2014 Nissan Xterra. I am completely new to buying additions to my car with electronics. How do I go about actually get it installed? Is there anything else that I need to purchase? Any and ALL information would be helpful. thanks - from a rookie. [ N Athan Apr 03, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Apr 05, 2015 ] Staff
The only suggestion I can make here is to check the location of your microphone, I have mine placed right above the steering wheel centered in the instrument cluster.. and I haven't had any complaints from those I have conversed with on poor sound quality. [ Frank Mar 27, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Mar 18, 2015 ] Staff
There are 12 basic colors but there is also a screen where you can select an infinite number of colors. So Yes, you should be able to match the backlight color to anything. [ ROBERT Mar 16, 2015 ]
Where the power button is and navigation on the left side of the unit, I made my background color red to match the rest of the lighting in my car. [ Sue Nan Mar 16, 2015 ]
You can customize the the color. [ Bernard Mar 16, 2015 ]
I seldom drive at night and at this point I have not addressed this issue. [ DANIEL Mar 16, 2015 ]
You can match it to nearly any color you want every color is fully editable from light to dark. [ Rich Mar 16, 2015 ]
Yes, you can match to any color. It uses the GUI to create a color if the presets dont work out for you. [ Sergio Mar 16, 2015 ]
There is about 20 colors to choose from light blue green white dark blue and so on it should match any color that your car panel has [ trevor Mar 16, 2015 ]
The NX404 has a settings option that allows you to best match the illuminated color of the function buttons. Though not a 100% match to my dash lighting, it's closer than any other unit I've owned and the fact that you can customize the colors at all it pretty slick. Standard colors are simple since they have a ton of preset ones, but my orange lighting on the dash was a toughy, but doable, I'm happy with it. [ Minesh Mar 16, 2015 ]
There are 12 presets, 3 custom slots and upon selecting a preset you can initialize a "scan" through that colors hue. Which is what I had to do to accomplish the red-orange I have to match the Juke's dials. Some of the colors seem to be way off. If you choose to customize it, better stay away from white, its easy to make, sure, set the red, blue and green to 255. Sadly, you get yellow. Its better to scan through the colors unfortunately, Clarion made this difficult as well. At first, I thought scan would scan through which ever color sample you select, when it goes through the hue or rainbow within the color selection it moves onto the next color selection. It really is the most horrible and idiotic color selection I can think of. If you are too slow at hitting initialize, you will miss the color you want. There are a lot of flaws with this radio. [ tasattack Mar 16, 2015 ]
Over 700 colors to choose from. Can match almost anything. [ ian Mar 16, 2015 ]
well, it changes colors during playing music [ Jose Mar 16, 2015 ]
There's 12 different choices of colors [ Jake Mar 16, 2015 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls& rear view camera with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Mar 13, 2015 ] Staff
Navigation works great... not sure what the question is about the greyed out. [ Matthew Mar 16, 2015 ]
Greyed out is unseletable. Cant set or adjust time. Mine adjusted time when paired. As for the navigation being greyed out. My guess the maps sd isnt inserted or isnt properly inserted. [ Tracy Mar 13, 2015 ]
Unit didn't work with my car Return never used it Sorry I can't help on this question Bought on in the pass it was a very good unit [ James Mar 13, 2015 ]
Some features are unavailable while in drive. Try accessing them with your car in park. [ Edward Mar 13, 2015 ]
The Time selection in settings will be grayed out because the selection is made to automatically set the time from GPS time. I would guess that the navigation button is not available because either the micro SD card is not inserted or corrupt. Make sure you get the system updates and insert the micro SD in the correct direction. [ Adrian Mar 13, 2015 ]
I like my Clarion 404 in the '91 Corvette. Unfortunately I have not used the navigation controls yet so I don't have experience to answer your question. Marc [ Marc Mar 13, 2015 ]
You need to hook up GPS antenna correctly. [ JEREME D Mar 13, 2015 ]
It will be like that until you set up your navigation. It then syncs the time automatically. I dont think you can adjust it. All I did was take the navigation card out and put it back in. It then took me through and did everything. [ JESUS Mar 13, 2015 ]
I didn't have that issue and I have no idea. Good luck though [ John Mar 13, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Mar 13, 2015 ] Staff
Good question not really sure though I do know in the GPS mode it does tell you your speed. If there is a way to see it all the time not sure but the radio is great I like it a lot the Bluetooth is awesome you'll be happy with the purchase especially for the price. [ PAUL Mar 27, 2015 ]
The GPS DOES show speed. [ Derek Mar 13, 2015 ]
YES,SHOWS ODMETER SPEED [ VICTOR Mar 10, 2015 ]
There is not a full speedo function but if you leave the nav screen up it displays speed down in the bottom corner. Im 62 so it is hard for me to read without reading glasses but it would function well for a younger person. I am very happy with the stereo, it sounds good and I like the display. Only complaint is I have recorded a bunch of mp3s on a dvd disc and it is a little slow to load up and begin playing. I would recommend this unit to buy, good price for a lot of features. Hope this helps. [ ed Mar 06, 2015 ]
Yes sir there is. It will even let you know when you are speeding by voice or color. You can adjust that setting. Very happy with this unit. [ Kevin Mar 05, 2015 ]
No, just a warning when you go over speed limit. [ Donald Mar 05, 2015 ]
Yes it shows your speed on the navigation screen. [ David Mar 05, 2015 ]
Yes it shows your current speed [ FRANKIE Mar 05, 2015 ]
I haven't actually installed mine yet [ mike Mar 05, 2015 ]
Yes it has a visible speedometer and speed limit warning feature. [ colorado race Mar 05, 2015 ]
Our remote worked fine, but the radio had other bugs. You could ask a tech at Crutchfield about trying the reset. Their is a small reset under the cover, beneath the volume knob. You will need a paperclip to reset it. That fixed some things for me. I also found out after many calls their is a firmware update. [ JAMES Mar 02, 2015 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Mar 02, 2015 ] Staff
Mine was telling me well ahead of time (a mile or two) and then as I got closer. Keep in mind that it does not give street names, only "turn right", "turn left" etc.... [ jack Mar 07, 2015 ]
It starts telling you at 1000 feet and restates the distance at 500 then 200 then next turn turn left or right as needed to reach your destination. It will tell you when you are speeding if you do not turn off this feature. Hope this helps [ Maria Mar 01, 2015 ]
Yes. On the freeway, it does announce 2 miles ahead, 1/4 mile ahead, and there is a ding at the point of interchange. On local roads, it will announce the next instruction after the current instruction, if it is within quarter mile. If anything, I found it over-announced and quite annoying. [ Andrew Feb 27, 2015 ]
No it is loded with the most current maps when you buy it and you haft to update it by purchasing an updated map package every year.... also this radio is not xm radio ready [ Ryan Feb 20, 2015 ]
No, the navigation just needs to receive the GPS signal, which is "free" (your tax dollars ACTUALLY at work). However, the maps and points of interest information are stored inside the unit, and if you don't update the database then your maps, just like paper maps, won't keep up with the changes in roads and business locations and eventually, especially if you live in an area with lots of construction, the navigation becomes less useful. I expect to buy a database update every few years. You get one free database download within a certain time of buying the unit (60 days, I think) and you have to install an application on a computer with an SD slot to get that. BTW that application only runs on Windows or Mac, not Linux. [ ALLEN Feb 20, 2015 ]
No, the navigation system comes with the unit. No extra purchase needed [ Jennifer Feb 19, 2015 ]
No. Its part of the unit. Updates are available on clarion's website. [ CHRISTOPHER Feb 19, 2015 ]
The unit comes with US maps and you can purchase additional locations and updates from Clarion. The NX404 comes with an 8 GB micro sd card for map data. [ Gene Feb 19, 2015 ]
The only thing is you'll have to purchase are the map update [ MARK Feb 19, 2015 ]
No the navigation feature is included. That is not a separate subscription. [ TIMOTHY Feb 19, 2015 ]
No - the navigation is pre-loaded into the radio. [ Kyle Feb 19, 2015 ]
There is a connector for Sirius reciever in the back of this unit although you may or may not need an adapter. If you download the manual from the Clarion (be sure to get the right model number of the unit you want to purchase) web site you can look at the devices that can be connected to this unit and judge for yourself if it meets your requirments. [ MICHAEL Feb 14, 2015 ]
Bluetooth doesn't work .. I have problems with it more then not [ Raquel Feb 06, 2015 ]
No it does not. Mine is set up wireless. [ Bradley Feb 05, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Jan 26, 2015 ] Staff
Will it fit a 2004 z71 suburban with bose? It says modified fit. [ Eli Mar 05, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Jan 14, 2015 ] Staff
Justin, You can upload pics feom the USB input. JJP [ JAMES Jan 12, 2015 ]
It works great, and it does what it claims. I installed it myself without a problem. If you want higher integration with iPhone, perhaps the next level from the x404 wil work better, more expensive, however. [ DAVID Jan 12, 2015 ]
I am sorry, but I do not know. [ JOSEPH Dec 27, 2014 ]
I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey and there was no easy way to connect the mid DVD player. It connected through the stock stereo. The Crutchfield reps that I spoke with said that I would have to figure out the wiring and rewire the mid DVD separately on my own. I went back to stock and still use my phone for GPS. [ JAMES Dec 27, 2014 ]
The NX404 is not XM ready. You can use one of the AUX inputs to add XM or upgrade to the NX604. [ Gene Dec 27, 2014 ]
No, you would need the NX604 for satellite radio. [ Gene Dec 26, 2014 ]
I don't use xm radio. [ Eric Dec 26, 2014 ]
I don't believe so. However the map of the navi is much better than google. [ MICHAEL Dec 16, 2014 ]
Not really sure to be honest but I don't know why you would want to use Google maps when it already has a built in GPS that works very well. Probably one of the best GPS units I've had. I had a Tom Tom before I got the head unit. [ KYLE Dec 16, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Apr 27, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: It is a 24 bit DAC, Clarion does not specify the maker of the DAC. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 23, 2014 ] Staff
2 answers Does this unit support Navigating while on phone? Read thru the manual and did not see any indication of what happens to the display when a call is received. Is there a separate button presented to answer the call or does the whole screen switch to the phone screen? If the latter, how do you get back to navigation screen while on call? [ ChrisB Apr 18, 2014 ]
I purchased a sony xav701hd from crutchfield and am now ready to give up on it. My Samsung phone never was able to be mirrowed. I even downgraded from the S5 to the S3 following Sony's instructions. Doesn't work. Now I'm interested in the clarion. Will it mirrow my Samsung S3? It had kitkat 4.4. Or my S5, with 4.4 as well. Anyone? And does the navigation inform the driver of speed cameras and red light cameras? ???? [ jimv21 Jan 11, 2015 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Apr 21, 2014 ] Staff
2 answers I just installed this unit for a friend this past weekend. The thing that sold him was the text to speech that announces street names. However, I can't get that function to work. It will tell me to turn or take an exit in xxx feet, but will not give a street name. If I do a route summary it will give a street name then, but not when navigating. Can someone with hands on experience with this unit tell me if it really does say street names as you approach them to turn? Thanks! [ Greg Apr 14, 2014 ]
OK I found your answer. You need to change the voice setting to "TTS Voice: These computed voices can tell you complex instructions, they can tell you the street names or read out the system messages for you." The natural voice - although better than the TTS voice will NOT give you turn by turn street name audio. My setting was TTS not natural out of the box that is why my unit stated street names and not "turn in 50 feet" type generic nav audio. The fix is simple, just change that setting to one of the first few voices and you are good. If you look under the voice name it will tell you "natural voice" or TTS - select TTS and you're off!! Good luck, Bill [ WILLIAM Apr 19, 2014 ]
My NX announces street names, it did it by default. However, did you UPDATE the navigation unit via the website? You have 30 days from the purchase date to do so - that MAY be your issue. When I updated my unit it gave me more 3D options, a map and speed traffic cams. But again the text to speech was there from day one for me - you may just need to update the unit. Take out the MINI SD chip that come with the unit, the insert it in your computer via the mini SD slot or adapter (that you buy). Then download the Naviextras update utility at (naviextras DOT com) and install it. Once it's installed and the Mini SD card is in your computer the program will see the card and tell you what is available for your NX404. The program will not work with any other SD card. SO back up the entire thing in-case that card goes bad - just sayin. When you are in the update program go to the FREE UPDATES section on the left. Do this first and get the one's you need. Should have traffic cams, new maps and so on, possibly some 3D options. Then re-install the SD CARD back into the front of the system and reset the unit back to FACTORY DEFAULT setting and try it again. When all of that is done start-er up and see what happens. That could most likely get you where you need to be. Good Luck [ WILLIAM Apr 15, 2014 ]
1 answer hi, im planing on buying this item and need to know what wires i would need to hook up my iphone 5 to mirror link and will i need to buy a steering Wheel Control Interface? and other then these wires and the Installation Install Wire Harness + Antenna Adapter , will there be any other wires i will need? i am installing this in my 2011 Subaru forester (if that helps?) thanks for your time and looking forward to your input. [ Armed Infidel Apr 05, 2014 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 07, 2014 ] Staff
I purchased this product and installed it (professionally) and everything works great. However I'm having a problem with the gps always searching for signal and it doesn't seem to work. I have the gps antenna set on my dashboard like the instructions said. How can I get the gps to work? [ Kiko9494 Mar 30, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Mar 16, 2014 ] Staff