Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Navigation receiver (New Stock)
Our take on the Clarion NZ500 by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
Put Clarion's NZ500 navigation receiver in your dash if you take your road trips seriously. You'll enjoy DVD playback, built-in hands-free calling with a compatible phone, and maps that are always a finger tap away. Designed for your single-sized dash opening, the NZ500 gives you a big 7" touchscreen that motors out on command, and a simple, intuitive interface for controlling all your in-dash entertainment.
The NZ500 gives you spoken, turn-by-turn directions that guide you to your next destination. The navigation maps really pop on the bright screen, so they're easy to see all day and night. You can search the 12 million points of interest to find nearby attractions quickly and easily. And all navigation info is contained in the receiver's memory, so there's no extra black box to install.
Clarion builds Bluetooth into the NZ500, letting you talk hands-free on your compatible phone. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call and hear your caller over the speakers. And you can even stream tunes if your device supports it.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
A powerful internal amp puts some punch in your tunes, and Clarion's 24-bit digital-to-analog converter brings out every detail in your CDs and music files. You can choose from eleven preset tone settings, or make your own using the bass and treble controls. The subwoofer volume control lets you dial in just the right amount of bass if you've got a sub hooked up. Clarion includes a handy remote for on-the-fly changes.
iPod® controls and more
Connect your iPod to the rear USB slot, and you'll get touchscreen control over your tunes no adapter required. Add an optional adapter, and you can play videos from your iPod on the 7" screen.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
The NZ500 plays your store-bought and recordable CDs and DVDs, including those you've loaded with MP3 and WMA files. You can load your files on a USB thumb drive, too.
Movies and more
Enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive. You'll also find an audio/video input for hooking up a video game system.
Your options don't end there — you can connect an optional SIRIUS satellite radio tuner directly to the NZ500 (no adapter required) to enjoy the nearly endless variety of entertainment available. Or add Clarion's HD Radio™ tuner for sweet digital AM/FM sound quality and the ability to tag tunes for purchasing later on iTunes®. Three sets of preamp outputs let you add amps and subs to the mix.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
What's in the Box:
- Multimedia/navigation receiver
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- 16" Minijack AV to composite video/stereo RCA cable (male minijack connector on one end a female RCA jacks on other end)
- GPS antenna with attached 16.5' cord terminated by a proprietary connector
- Remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- Cleaning cloth
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Flat-head ISO screws
- 4 Pan-head ISO screws
- Rear stud
- Rubber bumper
- Metal backstrap
- Owner's Manual/Installation Manual (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- Warranty Card (Eng/Fre)
- Correct Note
- navigation receiver with internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/40 watts peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized touchscreen
- fits single-sized openings
- built-in GPS with 12 million points of interest
- built-in Bluetooth for phones and music streaming
- wireless remote
- plays CDs, CD-R/RW, DVDs, DVD-Rs/RWs, DVD+Rs/RWs, MP3/WMAs on CD, DVD, and USB thumb drive
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- built-in iPod control Clarion's optional adapter required for viewing video content
- 2-band parametric equalizer with 11 tone presets
- works with Clarion HD Radio tuner, SIRIUS satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, one A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front/rear/subwoofer)
Clarion NZ500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||40 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Motorized/Retractable 7.0" Touch Panel TFT Display: The Clarion NZ500 has a motorized, retractable 7.0" TFT wide screen display with touch panel controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a resolution of 1440 x 234 and 336,960 total pixels. The display features brightness (0-20) and aspect ratio (4:3 or 16:9) adjustments. The unit's touch panel features interactive controls and video graphics, making menu navigation easy. An on-screen numeric keypad allows you to directly access music tracks and movie titles.
Note: A screen cleaning cloth is provided to help you keep the unit's LCD display clean.
Display Angle and Position Adjustment: You can adjust the display's angle for better visibility. The display angle can be adjusted from 70° to 110°.
2nd Display: In addition to its main LCD screen, when the NZ500 is in the "closed" position, the informative 12-digit blue LCD offers maximum visibility in a space-saving package.
Front-Panel Controls: In addition to the unit's touch-panel display, the unit features hard-key controls, including two rotary dials, along the bottom front-panel and side of the unit.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied 18-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Built-In Navigation System: The Clarion NZ500 features a built-in car navigation system with simple destination input, turn-by-turn voice prompts, and selectable route guidance (everything you need to reach your destination quickly and efficiently). The NZ500 comes pre-loaded with 12 million Points of Interest; its database includes national parks, restaurants, gas stations, and much more.
GPS (Global Position System): The navigation software uses Global Position System (GPS) satellites, and a digital roadway map database to calculate and display travel direction.
GPS Antenna: The system's supplied GPS antenna receives signals from a constellation of 24 satellites orbiting the earth and uses the strongest of signals to determine your position to within meters. The GPS antenna features a magnetic base and a 16.5' attached cable.
Vehicle Positioning: The built-in navigation software's computer considers vehicle speed an heading changes, together with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on a digital map. Signal from GPS satellites are used to determine the vehicle location. Three (good) or four (best) satellites must be receive to accurately determine location.
Navigation Mapping Software: The integrated map database used by the built-in navigation software was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. Navigation data is pre-stored on the unit's 4GB internal flash memory for quick access and response. The NZ500 provides map coverage of the United States and Canada. The Clarion NZ500's integrated navigation software provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct you to your selected destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Voice Guidance: In addition to graphic directions, the NZ500 provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French and Spanish audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
Destination Search: The Destination Entry Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
- Home: You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.
- Office: You can store one work location to allow you to calculate a route to work from any current location.
- Address/Intersection: You can input your destination address by house number, street, and city. You can also enter one street name, then choose from a list of cross streets.
- POI (Point-of Interest): Select a destination or waypoint from a database of restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc. A Point-of Interest may be searched by category, city, or name. This unit provides 12-million points-of-interests.
- My POI: My POI will allow you to create and save your own personal points of interests.
- Coordinates: You can route to a destination by directly inputting latitude and longitude values.
- Favorites: You can select your route to a destination by choosing on multiple preset favorite places.
- Address Book: The address book s a convenient place to store frequency visited destinations.
- Trail Book: The trail book allows you to create your own navigation routes.
- Trip Book: The trip book allows you to navigate multiple destination trips.
- History: Previous destination entered into the unit's built-in navigation software are automatically saved into its memory. This is helpful when you want to return to a recent destination.
2D Map: The on-screen map is 2 dimensional. 2D looks down from above at the map grid, just like looking at a paper map. You can choose to orient the map in one of two ways; show North at the top of the screen, or show the direction in which you are heading at the top.
Day/Night Settings: You can select one of three brightness modes for the on-screen map:
- Daytime: Has a lighter, brighter background for easier viewing during the day.
- Nighttime: Has a darker background, so it is easier to see at night.
- Auto: The brightness of the display automatically switches between daytime and nighttime at sunrise and sunset.
Route Priority: You can set the following conditions for route calculation; shortest distance or shortest time, avoid freeway, avoid tolls, or use ferries.
Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Trip Computer: The Trip Computer displays current speed, max speed, average speed, compass reading, odometer reading, and clock reading.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and high linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the NZ500 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the NZ500 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 40 watts x 4 channels (160 watts total)
Audio Settings: The Clarion NZ500 offers the following audio adjustments:
- Preset EQ: Jazz, Pop, Classical, Rock, Urban, Rave, Movie, Techno, News, User, Flat.
- Bass and Treble: Independent and variable bass (60, 80, 100, or 200Hz) and treble (10, 12.5, 15, or 17.5kHz) control (+/- 7 dB); you can also adjust the Bass Q-Factor to 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, or 2.0.
- Loudness: Compensates for low and high tones during low volume.
6-Channel Preamp Output: With 3 sets of RCA outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. Also, independent volume control is enabled for the subwoofer so you can adjust the level of bass output to your liking at any time, regardless of the output level of the other channels. The multimedia headunit is equipped with stereo front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs for connecting the unit to an external amplifier. The subwoofer preamp output's level can be adjusted independently from -7 to +7 dB. The NZ500 also features a low pass filter for the subwoofer preamp output. You can select between 80Hz, 120Hz or 160Hz.
Beep: The in-dash headunit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion NZ500 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The NZ500 offers Seek, Scan, Manual, and Preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The NZ500's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 12 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 36 FM and 12 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the NZ500 automatically store the strongest stations for you.
Preset Scan: The Preset Scan receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order. The unit scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially. This function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory.
Local Seeking: When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
HD Radio Ready: Connecting the optional Clarion THD400 HD Radio tuner (020THD400, sold separately) lets you enjoy listening to digitally broadcast radio programs with superior sound quality and text information (such as artist name and song titles or traffic news; viewable on the headunit's display). The add-on HD Radio tuner includes iTunes Tagging capability, so if you hear a song on the radio that you like, you can tag it to download later from the iTunes Store.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Sirius Direct: You can connect the Clarion NZ500 to the SiriusConnect SC-C1 Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver (607SCC1, sold separately) without any need for a interface box and enjoy over 130 channels of music, news, talk shows, sports and traffic information with digital quality sound throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Note: A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required for service.
Electronic Skip Protection: The Clarion NZ500 provides electronic skip protection for your CD-Audio discs (10-seconds), as well as your discs containing MP3 (45-seconds) and WMA (90-seconds) audio files.
Disc Compatibility: The NZ500 can play back the following types of discs.
- CD: CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
- DVD:DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3/WMA (32-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs in Joliet, Romeo, or ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 format. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 200 folders, 1500 files per folder, and 1500 total files. The headunit also supports ID3 Tag information (Ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.3, 2.4) which will display the title, artist, and album information when recorded on the disc.
Parental Lock: You can set and change the level of parental lock. This function allows cutting scenes that are unfavorable for children or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 5 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Mounting: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Port: The headunit features a rear panel USB port that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage devices loaded with MP3 and WMA audio files. This unit supports USB 2.0/1.1 Full-Speed and FAT12/16/32 file systems. The multimedia headunit will support MP3 files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps and WMA files with a bit rate of 32-192 kbps. The NZ500 can recognize up to 200 folders with a maximum of 1500 files in each folder (maximum total number of files: 1500). The NZ500 offers the following playback operation of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The optional Clarion CCA-748 iPod/iPhone connector cable (020CCA748, sold separately) allows the NZ500 to connect to your iPod via the headunit's rear-panel USB port and A/V input. Using the optional iPod/iPhone connector cable, the NZ500 supports audio/video playback, control, information display, and charging of select iPods and iPhones. If you only need audio playback, you can simply use the USB/Dock cable supplied with your iPod.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 87dB.
- Audio/Video Playback: The Clarion multimedia headunit supports both audio/video playback from compatible iPod or iPhone. Using your iPod or iPhone's USB/Dock cable you can enjoy audio playback of music stored on your iPod or iPhone. Using the optional Clarion iPod/iPhone connector cable (sold separately), you can also enjoy video playback of movies, TV shows, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park (the unit will display "Audio Only" when your vehicle is in motion).
- Media Navigation: You can control your iPod/iPhone from the multimedia headunit. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Composer. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rented Movie. You can also select random and repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. Your iPod/iPhone's controls will be locked while connected.
- Music Information: The multimedia headunit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, Album Title and Album Art.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the multimedia headunit's USB connection will power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it. In this case, you will need to charge your iPod/iPhone's battery before connecting it to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion NZ500 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features when connected to the optional Clarion iPod/iPhone connector cable (as of Dec. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
Front and Rear AV Inputs: The Clarion NZ500 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV minijack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Video Output: The NZ500 is equipped with a single composite video output for connecting a rear monitor.
Note: When playing video from an iPod source, the rear video output is only active when the parking brake is engaged.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera. This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle).
Built-In Bluetooth: The NZ500 features built-in Bluetooth Technology. Bluetooth wireless technology enables voice and data to be sent via a short-distant digital radio link (2.4GHz) up to approximately 33 feet. With Bluetooth built-in, you can wirelessly connect your Bluetooth capable mobile phone to listen to calls through your car's audio system. HFP/OPP/A2DP/AVRCP protocols are supported. You can pair up to 5 Bluetooth enabled devices (only one can be used at a time).
- HFP/OPP: The NZ500 supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The NZ500 allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the headunit's built-in microphone and your car audio speakers (the headunit also features a microphone input for connecting an external microphone: 020RCB199, sold separately). The NZ500 utilizes a Noise Canceller feature to reduce noise generated during hands-free conversation. The multimedia NZ500 allows you to answer the call manually from the headunit's controls or automatically. You can make a call from the NZ500 using the unit's on-screen ten-key pad, your transferred Phone Book, or a call history data log of dialed and received calls. The unit also feature a redial function.
- A2DP/AVRCP: The NZ500 supports wireless music streaming for transferring stereo music audio data that is processed as a steady and continuous audible stream from your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player to the Clarion headunit and your car's audio system. You can listen to and control music stored on your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player. The NZ500 lets you control the following playback functions from your Bluetooth compatible phone or audio player - Play, Pause, Stop, Track Search, Fast Forward and Rewind.
Note: Not all Bluetooth enabled mobile cell-phones and devices will be compatible with the NZ500. Go to Clarion.com for list of current compatible cell-phones.
IR Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touch-panel and hard-key controls the NZ500 comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control for full function of the multimedia/navigation player.
OEM Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIJACK, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.