Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
DVD receiver (New Stock)
Our take on the Clarion VX401 by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
You're the captain of the road trip. You're driving the ship, so you're the master of entertainment, too. But you don't have proper control over your vessel without a sleek, touchscreen command center in the dash. Enter the Clarion VX401 DVD receiver and its ample 6.2" touchscreen, combined with a slick interface — finally, you have a dash worthy of a leader of your magnitude.
Movies and more
You can enjoy watching DVDs up front while you're parked, or hook up a video screen in the back so the kids can watch movies as you drive. Plug your iPod® or iPhone® into the rear USB input — you'll get touchscreen control over your tunes, and your iPod will stay charged as you drive. You can add an adapter to view video content from your iPhone or iPod, and you'll also find an audio/video input for video games or other sources.
Built-in hands-free calling, plus navigation-ready
A good captain is always concerned with the safety of the crew. With built-in Bluetooth®, you'll talk hands-free with your compatible phone. When a call comes in, you can tap the screen to answer the call, then you'll hear your caller over the speakers. And you can even stream tunes if your device supports it.
Your options don't end there. You can connect an optional SIRIUS satellite radio tuner directly to the VX401 (no adapter needed) to get the nearly endless variety of entertainment available. Hook up Clarion's HD Radio™ tuner for awesome digital AM/FM sound quality.
Good news if you crave great sound
The VX401 plays your store-bought and recordable CDs and DVDs, including discs you've loaded with MP3 and WMA files. A powerful internal amp gives your music plenty of punch, while a premium digital-to-analog converter ensures you'll hear all the musical details. Three sets of preamp outputs let you add amps and subs to the mix, and the subwoofer volume control lets you dial in just the right amount of bass. Clarion includes a handy remote for on-the-fly changes.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Clarion stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Clarion, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. Check the "Accessories" tab for compatible adapters.
What's in the Box:
- Multimedia receiver with built-in monitor
- 2 Trim rings
- Wiring harness
- 16" Minijack AV to composite video/stereo RCA cable (male minijack connector on one end a female RCA jacks on other end)
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed)
- 8 Phillips-head ISO screws
- 8 Hex-head ISO screws
- Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual/Installation Manual (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- Warranty Card (USA/Canada)
- DVD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/40 watts peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" touchscreen
- fits double-DIN openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and music streaming
- wireless remote
- plays CDs, CD-R/RW, DVDs, DVD-Rs/RWs, DVD+Rs/RWs, plus MP3/WMAs on CD and DVD
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- built-in iPod control Clarion's optional adapter required for viewing video content
- works with Clarion navigation system, HD Radio tuner, SIRIUS satellite radio tuner
- inputs: two A/V inputs (front and rear), rear camera input, rear USB
- outputs: video out, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front/rear/subwoofer)
Clarion VX401 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Android Control||USB MSC protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||40 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
2-DIN Chassis: The Clarion VX401 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using your vehicle's factory radio brackets and the supplied hardware. There is also an optional custom double-DIN sleeve (0202DBKT, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to mount the VX401 in a custom 4" opening.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
6.2" Touch Panel TFT Display: The Clarion VX401 has an integrated 6.2" TFT wide screen display with touch panel controls. The display provides a high-resolution video monitor for watching your DVD videos. The screen has a total pixel count of 1,152,000 pixels. The display features brightness and shape (4:3 or 16:9) adjustment. The unit's touch panel features interactive controls making menu navigation easy.
Touch Panel Controlled GUI: The GUI (Graphical User Interface) shows large icons that are highly visible and easily recognizable at a glance. And thanks to the touch panel screen, accessing each function is as intuitive as touching its icon. This very straightforward system lets the driver keep his attention on the road, and enables front seat passengers to use any desired function without the need to "learn" anything. What's more, since the vast majority of functions are controllable from the touch panel, there are only 4 physical buttons on the unit for the most basic and commonly-used functions.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent displaying video while the vehicle is in motion, the bright green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Anti-Theft Code: You may program the unit with a 4 digit security code. Once the unit has been programmed with a security code, the code must be entered to use the unit after it has been disconnected from power.
24-bit D/A Converter: The unit's 24-bit D/A converter re-quantizes the 16-bit audio signals from CDs and DVDs as 24-bit data while maintaining the low distortion and linearity of a 1-bit D/A converter. This allows an expanded dynamic range and clearer reproduction of subtle nuances, for a richer sound when viewing DVDs or listening to CDs.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion VX401 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the VX401 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the VX401 are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 40 watts x 4 channels (160 watts total)
Audio Settings: The Clarion VX401 offers the following audio adjustments.
- Preset EQ: Flat, Jazz, Pop, or Classical
- Bass and Treble: Independent and variable bass (60, 80, 100, or 200Hz) and treble (10, 12.5, 15, or 17.5kHz) control (+/- 7 dB); you can also adjust the Bass Q-Factor to 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, or 2.0.
- Loudness: Compensates for low and high tones during low volume.
6-Channel Preamp Output: With 3 sets of RCA outputs, you are free to add external power amplifiers to create a more powerful, sophisticated audio system. The multimedia head unit is equipped with stereo front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs for connecting the unit to an external amplifier.
Subwoofer Controls: Independent volume control is enabled for the subwoofer preamp output so you can adjust the level of bass output to your liking at any time, regardless of the output level of the other channels. The subwoofer preamp output's level can be adjusted independently from -9 to +9 dB. The VX401 also features a low pass filter for the subwoofer preamp output. You can select between 80Hz, 120Hz or 160Hz.
Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Clarion VX401 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner. The VX401 offers Seek, Scan, Manual, and Preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The VX401's built-in AM/FM tuner features 3 FM bands and 1 AM band. You can store up to 12 presets in each bands, allowing you to store 36 FM and 12 AM preset stations. You can manually store your favorite presets or have the VX401 automatically store the strongest stations for you.
Preset Scan: The Preset Scan receives the stations stored in the units' preset memory in order. The unit scans each station for 10 seconds sequentially. This function is useful when searching for the desired station in memory.
Local Seeking: When Local seeking is turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be received.
HD Radio Ready: Connecting the optional Clarion THD400 HD Radio tuner (020THD400, sold separately) lets you enjoy listening to digitally broadcast radio programs with superior sound quality and text information (such as artist name and song titles or traffic news; viewable on the head unit's display). HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. No subscription fees required.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
iTunes Tagging: The add-on HD Radio tuner (sold separately) includes iTunes Tagging capability. iTunes Tagging allows you to "tag" songs heard over HD Radio. iTunes Tagging saves the song's title and metadata to your connected iPod/iPhone (you may store up to 64 tags in the memory). When the iPod/iPhone is synced to iTunes, a playlist is generated with links to the iTunes Store where the song can be purchased and downloaded.
Note: This function can be operated with the following iPod/iPhone models - iPod nano (3rd/4th/5th/6th gen), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th gen), and iPhone (2G/3G/3GS/4).
Sirius Direct: You can connect the Clarion VX401 to the SiriusConnect SC-C1 Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver (607SCC1, sold separately) without any need for a interface box and enjoy over 130 channels of music, news, talk shows, sports and traffic information with digital quality sound throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Note: A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required for service.
Disc Slot: The Clarion VX401 has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Electronic Skip Protection: The Clarion VX401 provides electronic skip protection for your CD-Audio discs (10-seconds), as well as your discs containing MP3 (45-seconds) and WMA (90-seconds) audio files.
Disc Compatibility: The VX401 can play back the following types of discs:
- CD: CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
- DVD: DVD-Video, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW
MP3/WMA Playback: This unit can play MP3 (32-320 kbps) and WMA (32-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs ISO 9660 Level 1 or 2 format. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 200 folders, and 1500 files per folder (1500 total files). The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information (Ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.3, 2.4) which will display the title, artist, and album information when recorded on the disc.
Playback Operations: The Clarion VX401 offers the following DVD and CD playback operations -
- Track List: This function allows you to select audio tracks from a displayed list of tracks.
- Direct Search: You can locate the beginning of a movie scene using the time, chapter numbers, or title numbers recorded on a DVD video disc. You can also select a specific track on a music disc.
- Skip Search: Chapters or Tracks are skipped down or up from the current location, as many times as the key is pressed, and then playback starts.
- Fast Forward/Rewind: The VX401 offers a variable fast forward and rewind function. You can select between 2x, 4x, 8x, or 16x.
- Scan: The first 10 seconds of each music track on the disc is played.
- Repeat: This operation plays back chapters, titles, or tracks recorded on a disc repeatedly. You can also select A-B repeat in order to repeat a desired passage of video on DVD disc.
- Shuffle: This function allows you to randomly playback audio tracks or files recorded on a disc.
Switching Angles: On DVD disc in which video images have been recorded in two or more angle, you can switch among the angles during playback.
Parental Lock: Like home DVD players, you can set password protected viewing restrictions. This function allows cutting scenes that are inappropriate for children, or replacing them automatically with other scenes prepared in advance. There are 8 levels of parental lock that are protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Auto Reload: If a disc is left in the ejected position for 10 seconds, the disc is automatically reloaded.
Mounting Angle: For proper disc playback, you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Port: The head unit features a rear panel USB port (attached to a 7" pigtail) that allows you to connect and play USB Mass Storage devices loaded with MP3 and WMA audio files. This unit supports USB 2.0/1.1 Full-Speed and FAT12/16/32 file systems. The multimedia head unit will support MP3 files with a bit rate of 32-320 kbps and WMA files with a bit rate of 32-192 kbps. The player can recognize up to 8 hierarchical levels, 200 folders, and 1500 files per folder (1500 total files). The VX401 offers the following playback operation of your USB Mass Storage device - Play, Pause, Track selection, Fast-forward/backward, Scan play, Repeat play, Random play and Folder selection. The head unit also supports ID3 Tag information (Ver. 1.0, 1.1, 2.3, 2.4) which will display the title, artist, and album information when recorded to the USB device.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The optional Clarion CCA-748 iPod/iPhone connector cable (020CCA748, sold separately) allows the VX401 to connect to your iPod via the head unit's rear-panel USB port and A/V input. Using the optional iPod/iPhone connector cable, the VX401 supports audio/video playback, control, information display, and charging of select iPods and iPhones. If you only need audio playback, you can simply use the USB/Dock cable supplied with your iPod.
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 87dB.
- Audio/Video Playback: The Clarion multimedia head unit supports both audio/video playback from compatible iPod or iPhone. Using your iPod or iPhone's USB/Dock cable you can enjoy audio playback of music stored on your iPod or iPhone. Using the optional Clarion iPod/iPhone connector cable (sold separately), you can also enjoy video playback of movies, TV shows, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park (the unit will display "Audio Only" when your vehicle is in motion).
- Media Navigation: You can control your iPod/iPhone from the multimedia head unit. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Composer. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's video content by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rented Movie. You can also select random and repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. Your iPod/iPhone's controls will be locked while connected.
- Music Information: The multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, Album Title and Album Art.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the multimedia head unit's USB connection will power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it. In this case, you will need to charge your iPod/iPhone's battery before connecting it to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Clarion VX401 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features when connected to the optional Clarion iPod/iPhone connector cable (as of November 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front and Rear AV Inputs: The Clarion VX401 is equipped with AV input terminals on the front and rear of the unit to enable enjoyment of content from an external connected source. The rear composite video/stereo RCA inputs are ideal for permanent installations, while the front AV minijack (3.5mm) input will come in handy for quick connection of a portable audio/visual source.
Note: The unit includes a 16" AV minijack-to-composite/stereo RCA adapter cable.
Video Output: The VX401 is equipped with a single composite video output for connecting a rear monitor.
Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera. This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (purple/white wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle).
Navigation Ready: The optional Clarion NP401 hide-away navigation system (020NP401, sold separately) can be connected to the VX401 directly and controlled through its touch panel, allowing to upgrade this multimedia station to a car navigation system at any time. The NP401 add-on navigation system offers voice & visual guidance messages, along with high-resolution map displays to assist you safely to your destination.
Built-In Bluetooth: The Clarion VX401 features built-in Bluetooth Technology Bluetooth Ver 2.1+EDR). Bluetooth wireless technology enables voice and data to be sent via a short-distant digital radio link (2.4GHz) up to approximately 33 feet. The following Bluetooth Profiles are supported - HFP, HSP, A2DP, and AVRCP. With built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly connect your Bluetooth capable mobile phone to listen to calls through your car's audio system. You can also stream audio from a Bluetooth enabled audio player. You can only pair (register) one Bluetooth enabled device.
- Hands-free Communication (HFP/HSP): The VX401 supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The VX401 allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's built-in microphone and your car audio speakers (the head unit also features a microphone input for connecting an external microphone: RCB-199, sold separately). The VX401 utilizes a Noise Canceller feature to reduce noise generated during hands-free conversation. The multimedia VX401 allows you to answer the call manually from the head unit or automatically. You can make a call from the VX401 using the unit's on-screen 10-keypad, your transferred Phone Book, or a call history data log of dialed and received calls. The unit also feature a redial function.
- Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): The VX401 supports wireless music streaming for transferring stereo music audio data that is processed as a steady and continuous audible stream from your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player to the Clarion head unit and your car's audio system. You can listen to and control music stored on your Bluetooth enabled phone or audio player. The VX401 lets you control the following playback functions from your Bluetooth compatible phone or audio player - Play, Pause, Stop, Track Search, Fast Forward and Rewind.
Note: Not all Bluetooth enabled mobile cell-phones and devices will be compatible with the VX401. Visit Clarion Bluetooth Support for list of current compatible cell-phones.
Wireless Remote Control: In addition to the unit's touch-panel and hard-key controls, the VX401 comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia player. The remote control operates off of a single CR2025 Lithium-cell 3V battery (included).
OEM Remote Ready: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.