Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
CD player/network music player/USB port for iPod®/iPhone®
Item # 022CDN500 | MFR # CD-N500BL
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha CD-N500 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
An "all-access" pass to a world of music
Yamaha's CD-N500 will spin your entire CD collection with impressive precison and sound quality, just like any CD player worth its salt. But it also does more — much more. Simply plug this versatile player's Ethernet jack into to your home's broadband router to stream music files stored on your PCs and networked hard drives, including high-resolution files up to 192kHz/24-bit. And that's not all. A front-panel USB port makes it a snap to plug in and play music stored on an iPod, iPhone, iPad®, or a USB thumb drive loaded with songs. Plus, a free Internet radio service called vTuner lets you listen to stations from around the world.
Want handy operation from your smartphone or tablet?
There's an app for that. Using your Wi-Fi® network and your smartphone or tablet, you can browse your music libraries, view album artwork, and control the CD-N500 with wireless convenience thanks to Yamaha's downloadable Network Player Controller app. This free app even includes a Music Play function that lets you stream music from your portable device wirelessly.
Top-notch Yamaha build and sound quality
All of the CD-N500's features and versatility wouldn't mean a thing if it didn't sound fantastic, too. And this Yamaha doesn't dissapoint. Its aluminum front panel and rotary encoder knob provide a solid feel and refined looks. A double top and bottom structure with steel vibration dampers on both the top cover and the bottom of the chassis squelches vibrations that hinder sound quality. The transport's optical pickup and servo control are optimized specifically for CD use with the priority focused squarely on stable disc tracking and precise playback. Interior layout was also carefully considered for sound quality, and includes left-right symmetrical audio circuitry with the shortest possible signal paths. Finally, all of the player's parts, including the high-precision 192KHz/32-bit Burr-Brown DAC, were carefully selected to deliver top-quality sound.
It is the best CD player I have ever owned - sound noticeably better than my old Onkyo player - Network capabilities are nice, but the navigation to the songs on the hard drive can be a bit confusing via the remote - all in all satisfied with this unit - Thanks Crutchfield!
brad, North Carolina
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc CD/Network player
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (CDX9 ZF92130)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 59" Stereo RCA cable
- Owner's Manual
- Limited Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
- Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices
- plays standard audio CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- plays digital music stored on your home network, smartphone, or tablet
- plays high-resolution digital music files from a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- compatible with FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, AAC, MP3, and WMA
- free Yamaha Network Player Controller app lets you use your iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, or other Android device as a music controller
- app supports wireless music playback from your smartphone or tablet through your Wi-Fi network
- DLNA certified for use with compatible networking devices
- vTuner Internet radio gives you access to thousands of Internet radio stations
- anti-vibration chassis and optimized audio circuitry layout for natural, high-purity sound
- supports gapless playback to eliminate pauses between tracks when transmitted from a network source (ideal for classical music and live albums)
- frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz (CD), 2-96,000 network source with 96 kHz sampling rate)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- detachable power cord
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 3-3/4"H x 14-1/16"D
- 11.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- stereo RCA analog audio output
- optical digital output (Toslink)
- coaxial digital output (RCA)
- Ethernet port for connection to your network
- front-panel USB (Type A) port for connecting iPod®, iPhone®, iPad® and USB storage devices
Yamaha CD-N500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20,000 Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||Not Compatible|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
High Quality Construction: This unit has a double top and bottom structure with steel vibration dampers on both the top cover and the bottom of the chassis. Various vibrations that lower sound quality are prevented by joining the CD mechanism and chassis using Yamaha's proprietary loader support, and by increasing the stiffness of the mechanism itself by anchoring it to the surface. The optical pickup is specialized for CD use with priority on sound quality, and an intelligent digital servo that performs servo control optimized for the disc being played achieves stable disc tracking and improves reading precision. The result is natural and high purity sound playback.
Aluminum Front-Panel: The aluminum front panel, with its simple yet high-quality hairline finish, features a top-grade design with a rotary encoder that's convenient for music navigation.
Audiophile Sound: The carefully considered interior layout includes left-right symmetrical audio circuitry and provides the shortest circuit path for audio signal travel, allowing sound to be faithfully reproduced without loss of audio signal purity. Furthermore, all parts were rigorously selected, including the 192KHz/32-bit Burr-Brown high precision DAC, highly regarded for audio use.
Disc Compatibility: The Yamaha CD-N500 CD/Network player will play CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, and CD-RW discs (12cm or 8cm).
MP3/WMA Playback: The CD-N500 supports playback of compressed MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (16-320 kbps) files recorded on CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 format. The CD player can recognize up to 256 folders, 512 filers per folder, and a maximum of 999 total files.
Front-Panel USB Port: The USB port on the front panel allows you to play MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (16-320 kbps) music files from a USB memory device (flash drive), card reader, or portable audio player that use FAT16/FAT32 format. The unit will recognize up to 256 folders, 512 files per folder, and a maximum of 32,767 total files. The unit's USB port supports basic playback controls, such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Skip (Next/Previous); as well as folder and track select.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Yamaha CD/Network player's USB port also supports playback of your iPod/iPhone's music files (via the USB cable supplied with your iPod/iPhone). The CD-N500 offers audio playback, basic control (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next), information display, and charging of your iPod/iPhone. Artist/song information can be viewed on the CD/Network player's front-panel display. Advanced navigation is still done through your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Yamaha CD-N500 is "made for iPod/iPhone" compliant and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 3/8/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Network Connection: The Yamaha CD/Network player is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (10BASE-T/100BASE-TX) port to connect the unit to your home network in order access your DLNA music server and Internet Radio.
DLNA Certified: The CD-N500 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The CD/Network player supports playback of MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, and Apple Lossless music files stored on your Windows PC (Windows 7 recommended) or other DLNA certified storage device.
|Audio File||Sampling Rate|
|MP3||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|WAV/FLAC||8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
|Apple Lossless||44.1, 48 kHz|
Note: This unit can play back music files stored on the following music servers; (1)PC with Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Player 12 installed (2) NAS that is compatible with DLNA version 1.5.
vTuner Internet Radio: You can listen to Internet radio stations using the vTuner Internet Radio Station database service particularly customized for this unit, providing a database of numerous radio stations around the world. You can search for Internet Radio stations by Location, Genre, New, Popular, Bookmarks, or Podcast. The vTuner Internet Radio service will display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time.
Gapless Playback: The CD-N500 features gapless playback, which eliminates the pauses usually heard when continuous music (classical, live album) is transmitted from a network source.
NP Controller App (for Apple iOS & Android): The free Network Player Controller App from iTunes Apps or Google Play turns your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (iOS 4.3+) or Android device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for the Yamaha CD-N500. The NP Controller App allows you to access the player's sources and control playback functions, as well as view song/artist information and album art; all from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Input Select: Simply by touching an icon, you can select the source (CD/USB/DLNA server) or service (vTuner/Music Player) you want to enjoy.
- CD Player Control: You can control the basic functions of the unit's built-in CD Player such as Play, Pause, Skip and CD tray operations.
- Content Browsing: Browse music stored on your network connected DLNA server or select internet radio stations from vTuner.
- Music Player: Browse and play music stored on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device using the NP Controller App, with full access to cover art and track information.
Note: You must have a wireless network in your home and the Yamaha CD/Network player & Apple or Android device connected to the same network.
LCD Display: The Yamaha CD/Network player features a front-panel LCD display that shows the current status of the unit. The unit displays song/artist information from CD-R/RW discs, iPod/iPhone, USB device, DLNA server, or Internet Radio. You can also view elapsed time of the current track, remaining time of the current track, or the remaining time of the disc. The front-panel display offers 4 brightness settings.
Pure Direct: The CD-N500 offers Pure Direct, which is the same popular feature included in Yamaha amplifiers and receivers. By pressing the button on the front panel or on the remote control, it shuts down the digital audio output and turns off the display. This achieves the lowest possible noise interference and, therefore, the highest sound quality of the analog audio output.
Playback Modes: The CD-N500 offers the following playback modes.
- Program: You can customize the playback order of up to 50 tracks recorded on an Audio CD. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Random: You can play back tracks in random sequence from and Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device.
- Repeat: You can play back a single track or all tracks repeatedly from a Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device.
- Repeat A-B: You can repeat a specified section of a track on an audio CD. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Ready Mode: Pauses playback after each track, allowing you to start the next rack at any desired time.
Note: This unit retains the current Repeat & Random playback mode after turning off the power.
Search Functions: The CD-N500 offers the following search functions.
- Direct Search: You can enter the desired track number for an Audio CD using the numeric keypad (0-9) on the remote control. This operation is not available for MP3/WMA playback.
- Skip: You can skip to the beginning of the current, next, or previous track of an audio CD, CD-R/RW, USB device, or Media Server.
- Fast Forward/Reverse: You can rapidly advance or reverse through a track on an Audio CD, CD-R/RW, or USB device. Each time you press the search key, the search speed increases by 2 levels.
Remote Control: The Yamaha CD-N500 comes with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the unit. The remote will also operate basic functions (Input/Volume/Power/Mute) of a Yamaha receiver. The remote has a range up to 20 feet with an angle of 30-degrees to the left and right of the unit's front-panel IR eye.
Auto Power Down: This unit will automatically power off if it is left turned on for the selected time (4/8/12 hours) without playback or any other operation being performed.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Yamaha CD-N500 CD/Network player is fitted with both analog (RCA) and digital (optical/coaxial) audio outputs.
- Analog Audio Output: The CD/Network player is equipped with one set of stereo RCA jacks.
- Digital Audio Output: The CD-N500 features an optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital output. This unit can output digital signals up to 192kHz/24-bits linear PCM.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff May 05, 2014 ] Staff