Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
MusicCAST client with built-in stereo amp and wireless capability
Item # 022MCXA10 | MFR # MCX-A10
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha MCX-A10by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Yamaha's ingenious MusicCAST systems let you enjoy your music collection throughout your home. The MCX-A10 "client" features a convenient tabletop design that fits nicely in just about any room. It connects to your Yamaha MCX-2000 digital music server either wirelessly or via a wired network for easy access to all the songs and playlists stored on the server's built-in hard drive. Hook up a pair of stereo speakers, like the matching MCXSP10 the 'A10's built-in 34-watt amplifier delivers crisp sound. You can even connect a powered subwoofer to this player's dedicated output for bigger, deeper bass.
Automatic configuration makes it easy to set up clients like the MCX-A10 with your MusicCAST server for a whole-house audio system. The MCX-2000 server's built-in wireless transmitter enables it to communicate with up to five music clients in different rooms. When the server's connected via a wired Ethernet network, it can link to an additional ten clients, for a total of fifteen.
The 'A10 offers an easy-to-read LCD on its front panel for browsing and selecting your tunes, plus an on-screen interface sit back with the included remote and browse song and album titles on your TV.
- plays music stored on MCX-2000 digital music server wirelessly or via wired network
- built-in Wi-Fi® (IEEE 802.11b/g) capability
- compatible with MP3 and PCM (uncompressed CD-quality) audio
- retrieves songs by artist, album, genre, or playlist
- allows access to external audio components connected to MusicCAST server
- LCD display
- built-in stereo amplifier (17 watts X 2)
- auxiliary input
- line-level output for connecting an external amplifier or receiver
- line-level output for powered subwoofer
- headphone jack
- Ethernet port for connection to wired home network
- Auto Configuration for easy setup with MusicCAST server
- remote control
- on-screen display capability (requires TV with A/V input)
- composite video output
- built-in wake and sleep timers
- repeat, random, and bookmark settings
- tabletop stand
- 8-5/16"W x 9-1/4"H x 3-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- MCX-A10 Digital Audio Terminal
- 2 Screws for stand
- Wireless remote control (MCX2)
- CR2025 Lithium battery
- LSE0107A1240 AC adapter with attached 7.25' DC output cord (DC out: 12 volts/3.33 amps)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 5' Subwoofer cable (mono RCA plug on each end)
- 5' Composite video cable
- 5' Audio patch cord (left and right RCA plugs on each end)
- Owner's Manual
- Setup Sheet
- Warranty sheet
Product Overview: The Yamaha MCX-A10 Digital Audio Terminal is designed to work in conjunction with the MusicCAST server (MCX-2000 or MCX-1000) to allow you to access all music data and all components connected to the server. The MCX-A10 can be used with a wireless or wired home network.
Wireless Connection: The MCX-A10 uses Wi-Fi technology (IEEE 802.11b/g) to connect to the music server. Up to five MCX-A10 units can be used in a MusicCAST system. Each unit must be within 30 meters (approximately 100 feet) from the server.
Wired Connection: The MCX-A10 can be connected via CAT-5 cables to a network hub. Wired connections are recommended when:
- You plan to use more than five MusicCAST clients simultaneously.
- You wish to place a MusicCAST client more that 30 meters (100 feet) from the server.
- You wish to place a MusicCAST client in an environment where there is a possibility of electronic interference with a wireless network signal.
Built-In Amplifier: The MCX-A10 has a built-in 34-watt Yamaha digital amplifier, allowing you to connect speakers. With an output of 17 watts per channel at 4-ohms, the amplifier has a pair of spring clip terminals. The unit also has preamp outputs (left, right, and subwoofer), to allow you to connect an external amplifier or receiver.
LCD Screen: The unit features a 2-1/2" x 1-1/4", 128 x 64 dot, backlit LCD screen. The screen has a 6-line display for the unit's settings and menu selections, plus information on songs available in the MusicCAST server.
Controls: Below the LCD screen on the front panel, the unit has the following controls: Menu, Play Info, Stop, Play, Volume +, Volume -, and the 5-way controller for navigating the menu. The power switch is located on the top of the unit.
Playback Options: You can select songs to play from a playlist, or by artist, album, genre, or groups. You can also elect to repeat songs or play songs in random order.
Tone Controls: You can independently adjust the bass and treble ±10 dB.
Auto Level Control: Because some songs or albums are recorded with different sound levels compared to others, there may be a large difference between the volume of one song to another. When activated, the unit's Auto Level Control automatically reduces or increases the base volume level to a theoretical average when it plays back songs, in order to eliminate any large differences in volume.
Installation Options: The MCX-A10 can be used as a desktop unit when mounted to the supplied stand. It can also be wall-mounted, using the two provided keyhole slots.
Remote Control: The MCX-A10 includes a wireless remote control for controlling the unit, and for selecting songs to play from the server.
Timers: The unit has an Off timer and an On timer, both of which can be used simultaneously. The Off timer allows you to set the MusicCAST client to switch itself off after a set period of time. You can select 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. The On timer allows you to set a specific time for the unit to turn itself on.
Auto Play: You can set the unit to automatically resume playback on the track it was playing at the time it was last placed in the Sleep mode, when you return it to On mode.
Aux Input: In addition to playing songs from the music server, you can also connect an external device to the MCX-A10's aux input, and play it through the unit's connected speakers. The 3.5mm minijack input can be accessed only by the menu.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (±0.5 dB)
- Signal To Noise Ratio: 100 dB
- Dynamic Range: 90 dB or more
- Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise: 0.008 %
Line Output: 2 Volts RMS
Subwoofer Output: 1 Volt RMS
Speaker Output: 17 W + 17 W (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD)
Front Panel: 3.5mm minijack headphone output
Right Side Panel:
- Video Output: composite video output for viewing the on-screen display
- Subwoofer Output: mono RCA line output for connecting powered subwoofer
- Line Output: stereo RCA line output for connecting an external amplifier/receiver or powered speakers
- Aux Input: stereo minijack input for connecting an external aux device
- LAN: RJ-45 jack for connecting the unit to a wired LAN hub
- DC In 12V: DC power input for supplied AC adapter
- Speaker Outputs: stereo spring clip terminals for connecting speakers (4 ohm minimum)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.