Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
MusicCAST in-wall client/controller
Item # 022MCXC15 | MFR # MCX-C15
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha MCX-C15by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Yamaha's innovative MusicCAST system lets you enjoy your music collection throughout your home. The MCX-C15 in-wall "client" connects to your Yamaha MCX-2000 digital music server via a wired network for easy access to all the songs and playlists stored on the server's built-in hard drive.
To listen to your tunes, just connect the 'C15 to an external audio/video system, or team it up with a Yamaha MCX-CA15 in-wall amplifier and a pair of in-wall speakers. The MCX-2000 server can communicate with up to fifteen MusicCAST clients, including up to five wireless MCX-A10s, making it easy to create a versatile whole-house audio system.
The 'C15 offers an easy-to-read LCD on its front panel for browsing and selecting your tunes. An on-screen interface lets you sit back and browse song and album titles on your TV with the included remote. You can also listen to your server's FM tuner, and if you have an XM Satellite Radio subscription for your MCX-2000 tune in your favorite XM channels through the system.
- plays music stored on the MCX-2000 digital music server via wired network
- compatible with MP3 and PCM (uncompressed CD-quality) audio
- retrieves songs by artist, album, genre, or playlist
- allows access to external audio components connected to MusicCAST server
- 3-line LCD display
- auxiliary input
- line-level output for connecting an external amplifier or receiver
- line-level output for powered subwoofer
- Ethernet port for connection to wired home network
- remote control
- on-screen display capability (requires TV with A/V input)
- composite video output
- built-in wake and sleep timers
- repeat, random, and bookmark settings
- in-wall installation
- controller unit: 4-1/2"W x 4-1/2"H x 4-1/8"D
- in/out box (signal converter): 3-5/8"W x 4-3/8"H x 1-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Distributed Audio Controller
- Wireless remote control (MCX-3)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- MCX-IB15 input/output box
- LSE0215C1240 AC adapter with attached 7.25' DC output cord (DC out: 12 volts/3.33 amps)
- 5' AC power cord
- 6.75' CAT-5 cable (with RJ-45 plugs on each end)
- Two 6.5' lengths of 16-gauge DC power cable
- 4 Self-adhesive spacers
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Upgrade CD-ROM (MusicCAST Software Version Up Disc Volume 2.1 including MCX-C15 connectivity
- Quick Manual
- Install Manual
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Product Overview: The Yamaha MCX-C15 Distributed Audio Controller is designed to work in conjunction with the MusicCAST server (MCX-2000 or MCX-1000) to allow you to access all music data and all components connected to the server. The MCX-C15 is an in-wall device, and can fit inside a low-voltage, dual gang box. It can only be used with a wired home network. It has no wireless capability.
Optional Amplifier: The MCX-C15 can be connected to an optional in-wall MCX-CA15 Distributed Audio Amplifier which can drive speakers in the room. If the in-wall amplifier is not used, the MCX-C15 controller must be connected to the supplied I/O (input/output) box, and to an external amplifier or receiver.
Paintable Faceplate: The MCX-C15's faceplate is removable, and finished in white. It can be repainted to any color to match your decor.
LCD Screen: The unit features a 2-7/16" x 5/8", 128 x 32 dot, backlit LCD screen. The screen has a 3-line display for the unit's settings and menu selections, plus information on songs available in the MusicCAST server.
Controls: Below the LCD screen on the front panel, the unit has the following controls: Menu, Play/Stop, Volume -, Volume +, Power On/Off, 4 "Favorites" buttons, and the 5-way controller for navigating the menu.
Favorites: The faceplate and remote have 4 "Favorites" buttons which enable you to access your favorite music for instant playback at the touch of a button. Each favorites button can be used in one of five ways:
- To assign playback of songs stored in the server library
- To switch playback to a radio station broadcast being received on a Yamaha A/V receiver connected to the server.
- To switch playback to the audio signal being input from an external component connected to the server.
- To switch playback to the audio signal being input from an A/V linked Yamaha receiver
- To switch playback to the audio signal being input from an external stereo source connected to the Audio In jack on the optional MCX-CA15.
Playback Options: Two kinds of files can be played back from the server: MP3 and PCM (pulse code modulation). You can select songs grouped by artist, album, or genre, as well as playback songs at random from pre-selected lists or in playback groups. You can repeat the currently playing song, or all the songs in the currently selected group.
Bookmarks: You can bookmark up to 999 of your favorite songs for easy access. Bookmarked songs are stored in a temporary list and can be copied to create a playlist at any time.
Tone Controls: You can independently adjust the bass and treble ±10 dB.
Auto Level Control: Because some songs or albums are recorded with different sound levels compared to others, there may be a large difference between the volume of one song to another. When activated, the unit's Auto Level Control automatically reduces or increases the base volume level to a theoretical average when it plays back songs, in order to eliminate any large differences in volume.
Remote Control: The MCX-C15 includes a wireless remote control for controlling the unit, and for selecting songs to play from the server.
Timers: The unit has an Off timer and an On timer, both of which can be used simultaneously. The Off timer allows you to set the MusicCAST client to switch itself off after a set period of time. You can select 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes. The On timer allows you to set a specific time for the unit to turn itself on.
Auto Play: You can set the unit to automatically resume playback on the track it was playing at the time it was last placed in the Sleep mode.
I/O Box: The supplied MCX-IB15 input/output (I/O) box allows you to connect an external amplifier or receiver to the MCX-C15. It also supplies power to the MCX-C15 via the provided DC power cable. The MCX-C15 can only operate when connected to the I/O box or to the optional MCX-CA15 in-wall amplifier.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz (±0.5 dB)
- Signal To Noise Ratio: 100 dB
- Dynamic Range: 98 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise: 0.008 %
Output Level: 2 Volts RMS
- Video Output: Composite video output for viewing the on-screen display
- DC Input: Screw terminals for +12V and Ground
- AV Output: RJ-45 jack for connecting to the supplied I/O box or an optional MCX-CA15 amplifier
- LAN: RJ-45 jack for connecting to the wired network
- Video Output: Composite video output for viewing the on-screen display
- Audio Output: Stereo RCA output for connecting an external amplifier or receiver
- IR Output: 3.5mm minijack for connecting an IR flasher
- Control Output: 3.5mm minijack for connecting to an external A/V component that will accept a 12-volt control trigger (+12V, 20mA Max)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.