Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Yamaha MCX-RC100 Network Music Commander
Controller for the Yamaha MusicCAST2 system
Item #: 022MXRC100
This item is no longer available.
Yamaha MCX-RC100 Network Music Commander
Our take on the Yamaha MCX-RC100 Network Music Commander by Crutchfield's Tara W.
Use the Network Music Commander to select music, adjust playback volume, and control the individual music players in your Yamaha MusicCAST2 multi-room system. It features a 3-1/2" color display and user-friendly trackpad control. This powerful remote connects to your wireless home network, so you can control playback from the porch, living room, or bedroom. Queue up a playlist of your favorite tunes to pump throughout your home, or select different albums for playback in different rooms.
Multi-room playback and signature Yamaha audio performance
A Yamaha MusicCAST2 multi-room system lets you play music from your computer and the Internet in any room of your home. Enjoy playback from a networked Yamaha home theater receiver, like the RX-V3900 or RX-Z7, as well as from Yamaha's dedicated multi-room music players, the MCX-P200 and the MCX-A300. You can add up to 32 different players in total.
What's in the Box:
- Network Music Commander
- Charging cradle
- AC adapter with 5' output cord (5 volts DC/1 amp)
- TwonkyMedia server license key
- Owner's manual
- Getting started guide
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- Rhapsody information
- wireless controller for Yamaha MusicCAST2 system
- controls volume and music selection for each player in your home, from any room
- 3-1/2" LCD (320 x 240 pixels)
- hard buttons and trackpad control
- displays album art
- built-in movement sensor wakes up the controller
- built-in Wi-Fi® (compatible with wireless standard 802.11b/g)
- includes charging cradle
- 5-7/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 5/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The Yamaha MCX-RC100 Network Music Commander is a wireless remote control that allows you to access and control your MusicCAST2 system. It is designed to control multiple Yamaha MusicCAST2 players (item numbers 022MCXP200 and 022MCXA300, both sold separately). It can also play music files on your networked PCs, Internet Radio stations, and the Rhapsody music service. Up to 32 MusicCAST2 players can be controlled (creating up to 32 zones) and up to 16 computers can be accessed. Additionally the MCX-RC100 can control Yamaha network receivers. Commands are broadcast wirelessly to your wireless router (802.11 b/g) and forwarded to the other components in the system either wirelessly or by Ethernet cable.
Rechargeable Battery: The MCX-RC100 is powered by a built-in rechargeable battery. Completely charging the battery in the included cradle takes about 135 minutes and under typical use a fully charged battery will operate approximately two days.
Display: The commander features a 3.5" (diagonally measured) color LCD screen, with a resolution of 240 x 320 pixels and 16.7-million colors, for navigating zones, menus, sources, etc. Full color album artwork is also displayed when available. A built-in light sensor located above the LCD screen automatically adjusts the LCD brightness based on ambient light in the room.
Controls: The MCX-RC100 features 11 hard keys, three soft keys, and a control pad to move the cursor across the LCD display and select highlighted items (the LCD is no a touch screen):
- Hard keys:
- Zone: access the menu to select a zone to play music in (one of the MusicCAST2 players or Yamaha network receiver)
- Music/Remote: access the menu to browse music contents (first choose from the sources available for the specific zone, then navigate music options)
- Volume: buttons for volume up and volume down
- Mute: temporarily mutes the music in a specific zone
- Back: returns to the previous menu screen
- Home: returns to the top menu screen
- Play: play selected music
- Pause: pause playback
- Skip Backward: return to beginning of current song (press multiple times to continue skipping backward)
- Skip Forward: skip to next song (press multiple times to continue skipping forward)
- Soft Keys: The three soft keys are located across the bottom of the LCD; their functions vary with the menu that's displayed on-screen; each key corresponds to the command displayed immediately above it.
- Control Pad: Like the mouse touchpad on a laptop computer, the control pad moves the cursor across the display and selects highlighted items.
Computer: By connecting the MusicCAST2 system to a DLNA server (such as Windows Media Player 11 or TwonkyMedia Server) via your network router, you can play the PC's music contents with any of the connected MusicCAST2 players. Up to 16 computers can be integrated with the system. Supported file types include MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG-4 AAC, and FLAC. A license key is included for TwonkyMedia Server software, useful for three computers running Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Macintosh.
Internet Radio: The MCX-RC100 commander uses the vTuner Internet Radio service, customized for the MusicCAST2 system, providing a database of over 10,000 radio stations.
Rhapsody: You can also stream music using the Rhapsody service (subscription required). A free 30 day trial subscription is included with the MCX-RC100 commander.
iPod Universal Dock: When an iPod is added to one of the system's MusicCAST2 players using the optional YDS-11 iPod Universal Dock (item number 022YDS11) it is controlled using the MCX-RC100 commander. Most fourth generation and later iPods (Click Wheel) are compatible. Playback status, album art, song time (elapsed and remaining, as well as the progress bar), album title, artist name, and song title are displayed on the MCX-RC100's LCD screen. The iPod can only be played on the player to which it's connected, not in other zones in the system.
Bluetooth: An optional YBA-10 Bluetooth adapter (item number 022YBA10) can be connected to any MCX-P200 or MCX-A300 player in the system allowing you to stream audio wirelessly from your compatible Bluetooth device to that player. The Bluetooth device is controlled locally, not by the MCX-RC100 commander.
Note: Either the iPod dock or Bluetooth dock can be connected to each player, not both.
USB: The MCX-P200 and MCX-A300 players have rear panel USB port is for use with a USB flash memory mass storage class device formatted as FAT16 or FAT32. Supported file types include MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG-4 AAC, and FLAC. Playback from the USB device is controlled by the MCX-RC100 and the playback status, album art, song time (elapsed and remaining, as well as the progress bar), album title, artist name, and song title are displayed on the LCD screen. Files on a USB drive can only be played on the player to which it's connected, not in other zones in the system.
Miscellaneous Controls: The MCX-RC100 offers numerous other controls for each MusicCAST2 player:
- Zone Name: customize each zone name
- Party Mode: play the same source in up to three zones
- Sleep Timer: set the sleep timer in any zone to 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes
- Alarm: individual alarms can be set in different zones
- Stop All: playback can be stopped in all zone simultaneously
- Bass/Treble: adjust the bass and treble independently in each zone; ±6 dB at 20 Hz and 20 kHz respectively
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.