Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2080
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility
Our take on the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2080 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Premium design and performance
When it comes to delivering a thrilling home theater experience, Yamaha's RX-A2080 is no joke. Nine channels of high-powered amplification — rated at an impressive 140 watts per channel in stereo - give you plenty of brute strength for riveting surround sound. You can enjoy 4K video sources on up to three compatible displays — and this receiver even upscales analog and HDMI sources so you can watch more of your video content in Ultra HD resolution. Decoding for Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ brings movie soundtracks to life with three-dimensional realism.
The AVENTAGE difference
For their AVENTAGE-series receivers, Yamaha uses custom-designed parts with anti-resonance technology to reduce distortion caused by vibration. A rigid H-shaped frame adds stability to cut out chassis vibration almost completely. A specially designed fifth foot at the center of the receiver's base dampens internal and external vibrations, and an aluminum front panel further reduces resonance to maximize sound quality.
The RX-A2080's meticulous construction, symmetrical amplifier layout, and low-jitter digital circuitry all work together to give you accurate sound with precise stereo imaging and a wide, natural soundstage.
For music lovers
This receiver can play a variety of high-resolution audio formats through its front-panel USB port or from a networked computer. And if you're a vinyl lover, a phono input provides an easy connection for your turntable.
Flexible speaker configurations for a custom sound system
The RX-A2080 has outputs for eleven speakers (don't forget, it can only power nine speakers at a time), so you can play music in up to two additional rooms and still enjoy five- or seven-channel surround sound in your home theater. If you have nine speakers connected in your living room, Yamaha's Intelligent Amp Assign feature automatically powers them all when the second and third zones aren't in use.
A world of wireless listening options
Built-in support for streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, and Pandora® lets you play and control your favorite music directly through the receiver. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more streaming flexibility.
MusicCast lets you listen the way you want
Yamaha's MusicCast technology makes it easier than ever to set up a whole-home wireless music system. You can add audio playback in up to nine additional rooms with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars.
MusicCast lets you stream music from your personal collection, internet radio, and streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. The free MusicCast Controller app makes it easy to access your music and control what you have playing in different rooms.
Wireless surround sound? Yes, please
Want fewer wires in your life? Add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 wireless streaming speakers. This receiver allows them to be connected as wireless surround speakers in a 5.1 home theater system with traditional wired front and center channel speakers.
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
Alexa voice control integration means you only have to ask when you want to play music, control volume, or turn the receiver on and off. Alexa can even help you link or unlink rooms in your multi-room MusicCast system.
Power and Processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 140 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports 5.1.2, 5.1.4, and 7.1.2 Atmos setups with multiple placement patterns for height channels
- video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) automatic speaker calibration with Reflected Sound Control to deliver more accurate surround sound across different listening levels (microphone included)
- Enhanced Cinema DSP programs add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Cinema DSP HD3 with Virtual Surround Back Speaker creates increased realism for movie soundtracks
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
- Dialogue Lift and Level Adjustment for clearer, louder dialogue while watching movies and shows
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver, controlled by your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- support for TIDAL and Deezer
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible phone, tablet, or computer
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole-home audio
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 11.2 MHz)
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- four-room/four-source output
- powered stereo audio outputs for 2nd and 3rd rooms (allows 5.2-channel sound in main room while in use)
- Zone 2 HDMI output allows you to watch different video content simultaneously on two TVs
- line-level 2nd- and 3rd-room outputs for use with separate amplifiers or powered speakers
- Intelligent Amp Assign automatically redirects front and/or rear presence channels in Main zone to Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 speakers when those zones are powered on
- 2nd HDMI output assignable to Zone 4 (HDMI sources only)
- Zone 4 only receives audio/video signals via HDMI; separate receiver required to power stereo or surround sound speakers
- HDMI and optical/coaxial digital audio sources cannot be output to Zone 3
Audio Performance Features:
- dual ESS Sabre Premier 32-bit/384kHz digital-to-analog converters
- symmetrical power amp layout electrically isolates left and right channel circuitry for high signal-to-noise ratio and wider soundstage
- front presence speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of Bluetooth streams, MP3s, and other digital music files
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- 2 component video inputs
- 4 composite video inputs
- digital audio inputs: 3 optical and 3 coaxial
- 8 analog stereo audio inputs (including 1 front-panel input)
- phono input for use with a turntable
- 7.2-channel preamp outputs for connection to an external power amp and powered subwoofers
- Ethernet port for network connection
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Extra SP1 L/R, Extra SP2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C, remote (IR), and 12 volt-trigger connections for use with external controllers
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Yamaha MusicCast Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 8 SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- full-color on-screen display
- HDMI standby pass-through allows source switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- full-size headphone jack
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 7-1/2"H x 18-5/8"D (10-5/8"H with Wi-Fi antenna up)
- weight: 37.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get more power and better sound
The Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080 offers these features:
150 watts per channel into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven
audiophile-grade 32-bit/384 kHz ESS Sabre PRO Premier digital-to-analog converters for 7 main channels
1 pair of balanced XLR inputs for connecting a compatible high-end source component
11.2-channel surround sound processing with external amplifier
Front L/R balanced XLR preamp output for connecting an external power amplifier
Frequently Compared With
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2080
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility$1,599.99
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1080
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility$1,199.99
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3080
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility$1,999.95
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3070
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, MusicCast, and Dolby Atmos®