Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Home theater receiver with 3D-ready HDMI switching and Apple AirPlay®
From Yamaha: RX-A720 AV Receiver
From Yamaha: RX-Ax20 Series AV Receivers
Yamaha: AV Controller
Item # 022RXA720 | MFR # RX-A720BL
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha RX-A720 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Yamaha AVENTAGE® premium design and performance
Yamaha designed their AVENTAGE series of receivers from the ground up with sound quality as the ultimate goal. They paid attention to the little details that add up to better performance from a solidly built double-bottomed chassis, to separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry. And to top it off, AVENTAGE receivers are backed by a three-year warranty.
Let your iPod® take center stage with AirPlay®
AirPlay lets you stream music from your iTunes® library directly to your Yamaha receiver, either from a networked computer or right from your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®. Not only do you get a fast and convenient way to listen to your favorites, but anyone in your home can stream from their player to share their latest find.
The RX-A720 has a direct digital input on the front panel, so you can plug your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad directly in. It even charges your iPod when it's turned off. And Yamaha offers a free, downloadable app for both Apple® and Android devices that you can use to control this receiver with ease. Requires a wireless home network. Receiver requires wired connection to the router.
Instant access to an immense variety of music
The RX-A720's Ethernet port opens the door to a world of fresh, new listening options. Thousands of Internet radio stations from every corner of the world are at your fingertips. And music files streamed from your networked PC are just a touch away. The possibilities seem endless.
Connection flexibility to meet your needs
This seven-channel receiver gives you two channels that can be used for back surround channels. So when your action movie includes a sneak attack from the rear, you'll hear it coming. And when you're enjoying that favorite live concert CD the rear soundstage makes it really come alive.
If you stick with just five speakers in your home theater, there are other choices available. The back surround channels can be reassigned to send extra power to bi-ampable front speakers. You'll enjoy better clarity and dynamic range, perhaps as never before. Or if you'd simply like to hear music in another room, those extra powered outputs can be used for a pair of speakers in your favorite lounge or work area, entertaining you while others enjoy the movie in your theater room.
Quick, accurate setup, and easy everyday operation
Yamaha's auto-calibration system provides easy, precise home theater setup. Plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite seat. The RX-A720 quickly analyzes the size, distance, and frequency response of every speaker in your system, adjusting the settings for each one individually. In minutes, your system is fine-tuned for optimum performance with your specific speakers and room.Today's feature-packed home theater receivers do so much that you can find yourself lost in a maze of on-screen menus. The RX-A720 lets you sidestep the confusion: Four "SCENE" buttons in the center of the front panel give you easy one-touch access to common choices like watching a Blu-ray movie or listening to a CD. Just hit a button and the receiver switches to the correct input and settings. Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
very easy to connect, and Works perfect, before this Yamaha I was using a Denon receiver, Denon was very difficult to setup. I'm Glad that I choose Yamaha.
RdPuerto, Laredo, TX
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wireless remote control (RAV472)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone (with attached 19' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Easy Setup Guide
- Quick Guide for Useful Functions
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- FCC Information
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p)
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for easy automatic speaker setup and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP modes add richness and presence to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
Digital Music Options:
- Internet-ready access music from your PC and Internet radio stations
- listen to music from iPod®, iPhone®, iPad® or thumb drive through the front-panel USB input
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- Wi-Fi®-ready with optional Yamaha adapter
- DLNA and Windows® 7 certified for better compatibility with other certified audio networking components
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- optical and coaxial digital audio sources are not output to Zone 2
- USB and network-connected sources cannot be played back in different Zones at the same time
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping compatible front left and right speakers
- Pure Direct mode switches off front-panel display, tone controls, and DSP circuitry for cleaner sound with analog audio sources
- Compressed Music Enhancer for better sounding MP3s and other digital music files
- detachable power cord
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- composite video switching (5 in, 1 out) including the front-panel input
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 2 analog stereo audio-only inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for music streaming from a PC network
- USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives, hard disk drives, and portable MP3 music players
- 1 pair of main speaker outputs
- free Yamaha remote app lets you use your iPod touch, iPhone or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- four SCENE presets for easier source switching
- full-color on-screen display lets you browse movies and music, including album art (via HDMI only)
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- 40 AM/FM presets
- multibrand remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 15-1/2"D
- weight: 23.6 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Yamaha RX-A720 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Aventage Series: The Aventage line of Yamaha AV receivers is based on the audio design concept of providing a massive, full-bodied sound for movie sound effects and the accurate reproduction of music sources. By expertly harmonizing traditional and advanced technologies, every factor that affects sound quality, from materials & parts construction to circuitry layout, vibration damping, and "fine-tuning" the sound, is handled with no other thought than to achieve the best possible audio quality. As a result, every Aventage receiver has the ability to reproduce the most subtle details of high-definition sound, so that listeners can enjoy a truly high-class sound studio experience at home.
- Aluminum Front Panel: The aluminum front panel is used to effectively shield sensitive circuitry from external noise and electronic energy generated by dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, video monitors and so on. This ensures optimum sonic performance in the widest range of installation environments.
- A.R.T.: The A.R.T. (Anti-Resonance Technology) Wedge 5th foot is in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers. A.R.T. Wedge 5th foot helps ensure that vibrations do not affect the sound quality.
- Hybrid Power Supply: Independent power supplies for the digital and analog circuit, resulting in less power consumption in the standby mode, and a more efficient power transformer.
Wide-range Frequency Response: The receiver's wide-range frequency response, 10Hz to 100kHz, allows you to enjoy the full fidelity of DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players.
192kHz/24-bit Burr Brown DACs: The Yamaha RX-A720 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels to maximize sound quality.
Low-Jitter PLL Circuitry: The Yamaha AV receiver utilizes low-jitter PLL circuitry to help optimize sound imaging. The result is a more dynamic sound with greater detail and less distortion.
7.2ch AV Receiver: The Yamaha RX-A720 AV Receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability. The RX-A720 also includes dual LFE (mono-subwoofer) outputs for connecting a powered sub.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for the Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back/Bi-Amp, and Zone 2/Presence speaker terminals. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. These terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs and a collar surrounding them prevents the use of spade connectors. The Surround Back/Bi-Amp and Zone B/Presence speaker channels of the amplifier can be configured in the following way.
- 7.2ch w/ Surround Back or Front Presence: Seven speakers are powered in the main room - Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, and Surround Back L/R (or Front Presence L/R).
- 5.2ch w/ Front Bi-Amp: Five speakers are powered in the main room (Front L/R, center, and Surround L/R) with the surround back amplifier channels reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
- 5.2ch + Zone 2: Five speakers are powered in the main room (Front L/R, Center, and Surround L/R), while two speakers in a second zone are connected to the receiver's surround back terminals. The Zone 2 speaker output allows the receiver to send 2-channel sound to a second zone, limiting the main zone to 5.2-channel output. This means that you can enjoy stereo sound in a second room of your home. The same or different analog input sources/volume settings can be applied to both zones. Multichannel sources are mixed down to 2-channels and output to Zone 2.
Note: You can select 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 4- to 8-ohm Front speakers, and 6- to 8-ohm Center, Surround, Surround Back speakers.
Bi-Amp Speaker Connections: This receiver allows you to reassign the surround back amplifier channels to make bi-amp connections (compatible speakers required). A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
Presence Speakers: One pair of speaker terminals (Zone 2/Presence Speakers) can be used for Presence speakers or for driving a pair of speakers in a second zone. The Presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by Cinema DSP. These effects include sounds that the filmmakers intended to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. The Presence speakers should be placed at the front of the room 1-3 feet outside of the front speakers and at least 6 feet off the floor.
Note: You must select in the menu whether the speaker terminals are being used for Presence or Zone2. When the Presence or Zone2 speakers are engaged, the surround back speakers are disabled.
YPAO R.S.C. (Reflect Sound Control): YPAO-R.S.C. analyzes room acoustics and measures various speaker characteristics, then calibrates audio parameters to achieve optimum sound. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound. It also provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds. Yamaha's YPAO-R.S.C. system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate crossover frequency for each channel.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the delay of each channel.
- EQ: Each channel has a parametric equalizer; choose one
of three target settings before running the setup.
- Natural: adjusts all speaker to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright
- Flat: use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics
- Front: EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Yamaha RX-A720 supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Surround Parameters: The Yamaha A/V receivers offers the following Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following
parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes:
- Panorama: sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect
- Dimension: adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room
- Center Width: moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
CINEMA DSP Soundfields: Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha CINEMA DSP is much more advanced, actually creating richly realized independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialogue, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers 17 CINEMA DSP programs for movies, music, and games.
- Movie Soundfields: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie
- Entertainment Soundfields: Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game, Music Video, Recital/Opera
- Music Soundfields: Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, 7ch Stereo
CINEMA DSP Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters of the Cinema DSP modes.
- DSP Level: You can change the receiver's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB.
- Delay: Adjusts the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms).
- Room Size: Adjusts the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field.
- Liveness: Adjusts the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield.
- Reverb: Adjusts the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
CINEMA DSP Modes: The Yamaha RX-A720 A/V receiver offers three proprietary Yamaha CINEMA modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using Presence Speakers, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- CINEMA DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound images. CINEMA DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height of theses sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. CINEMA DSP 3D does this by using the receiver's Presence (height) Speakers.
- Virtual CINEMA DSP: Virtual CINEMA DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual CINEMA DSP lets you enjoy the effects of CINEMA DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center/presence speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual CINEMA DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- SILENT CINEMA: SILENT CINEMA makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of CINEMA DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
Virtual Presence Speaker: Virtual Presence Speaker mode provides the 3D sound effect without actual front presence speakers. It creates virtual presence speakers from the receiver's front speakers, center speakers, and surround speakers, which brings you into a stereoscopic soundfield.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3, WMA, and AAC. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Bass Management: The Yamaha RX-A720 A/V receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either of the front speaker or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Dialogue Lift & Level Adjustment: Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed virtual dialogue lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers. Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialogue and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening.
Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) automatically adjusts the dynamic range in relation to the volume, useful at low volume. The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Volume Adjustments: The Yamaha RX-A720 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -30 dB to +15 dB in 5 dB steps, or to +16.5 dB (full volume range is -80 dB to +16.5 dB).
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6 dB to +6 dB in 0.5 dB increments.
Digital Inputs: The Yamaha AV receiver is equipped with two optical digital inputs (AV-1/AV-4) and two coaxial digital inputs (AV-2/AV-3).
Headphone Jack: The Yamaha RX-A720 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphone, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
HDMI (v.1.4): 1080p HDMI (v.1.4) with 3D and Audio Return Channel (6 In/1 Out) deliver crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable. HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide you with the highest-quality home theater experience. HDMI can provide an interface between most audio/video sources, such as a set-top box, Blu-ray player, DVD player, or A/V receiver and a video monitor, such as a High Definition Television (HDTV), over a single cable. The AV receiver's HDMI jacks can be used for 2-channel and multi-channel linear PCM (up to 8-channel) and Bitstream (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) digital audio formats. The HDMI 1.4 jacks also support 1080p and 4K video signals; as well as Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 24 Hz refresh rates, and auto Lip-Sync compensation.
4K Video Upscaling: The Yamaha RX-A720 is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality. This AV Receiver will upscale video signals from analog (480i/480p only)-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 4K. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K resolution.
Edge Adaptive Deinterlacing: In ordinary deinterlacing, pixels in areas of movement are interpolated by upper and lower ranges. This causes jaggies in diagonal lines. Edge adaptive deinterlacing detects the direction of the line and interpolates the pixels optimally.
3D Ready: The Yamaha RX-A720 AV receiver supports 3D HDMI pass-through from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). 3D provides a more engaging audio and video consumer experience. Note that special eyewear may be required for viewing 3D content
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
HDMI Standby Through Mode: When the RX-A720 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's not need to turn on the A/V receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Yamaha receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Note: x.v. Color and Deep Color technology are supported only when source product, HDMI cable, media and HDTV all support those features.
Lip-sync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the Lip-sync function automatically.
- Auto: When connected to a TV via HDMI, automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic lip-sync function.
- Manually: You can manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDTV-compatible Component Video: The RX-A720 offers two component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These inputs and output have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 60 MHz and will pass High Definition video sources up to 1080p.
Front Panel AV Input: The front panel's Video Aux input features composite video and HDMI input.
Background Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-A720, you can select any video input, and listen to AM/FM radio or network source at the same time.
Ethernet LAN Port (optional WiFi): The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network to access your DLNA music server, or Internet Radio. There is also a rear-panel USB type-A port (5V/0.5A) that allows you to connect Yamaha's YWA-10 wireless network adapter (022YWA10, sold separately) for a wireless network connection.
DLNA 1.5/Windows 7 Certified: The RX-A720 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-A720 to browse and play music files on your hard drive.
Media Player: The Yamaha RX-A720 lets you play music files stored on your computer via a network connection. MP3 (up to 48kHz), WMA (up to 48kHz), AAC (up to 48kHz), WAV (up to 96kHz), and FLAC (up to 96kHz) audio files stored on your computer can be played through the RX-A720 via its wired network connection. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI). This unit can play back music files stored on the following music servers:
- PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed
- PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed
- NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification
Internet Radio: The Yamaha AV receiver lets you access various Internet Radio providers through its Ethernet network connection. You can control these Internet Radio services with the menu displayed on the TV screen (via HDMI only). The receiver will also display station name, album name, song title, and elapsed time on your HDMI-connected television.
|vTuner||vTuner offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.|
|Pandora*||Pandora is a free, personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.|
|Rhapsody*||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|SiriusXM*||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, and more.|
Note: *Firmware update required to access Pandora, Rhapsody and SiriusXM.
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha RX-A720 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-A720 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection) you can control the Yamaha RX-A720 AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as Zone2, Power On/Off, and Volume. Internet Explorer 7.x, 8.x, 9.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates. The test A/V receiver contained firmware version 1.14 (as of 6/20/2012).
USB Port: This unit is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy WAV (PCM format only), MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a portable MP3 player or USB thumbdrive (not compatible with USB HDDs). This unit can recognize sampling frequencies of up to 48 kHz on a compatible USB storage device. Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 . You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (max. 2.1A); even in standby mode.
Note: While listening to a song from a USB device, you can view a favorite video or photo from the receiver's monitor output. There is a rear-panel USB port (5V/0.5A) that is used only do connect the optional Yamaha wireless network adapter (YWA-10, sold separately).
AirPlay: This AV receiver supports AirPlay, which means it can accept wireless music streaming from your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad; as well as from iTunes on Macs or PCs. This makes it easy to enjoy your iTunes music from your mobile Apple iOS device or computer on your home theater system. You can even view metadata such as song title, artist name, as well as album art via AV receiver's on-screen display. In addition, you can download Apple's free "Remote" application and use your Apple device as the remote control for your iTunes account.
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: Using a USB-to iPod-Dock cable plugged into the front-panel USB port, music can be played directly from an iPod/iPhone, bypassing the iPod/iPhone's DAC. To view the video content from your iPod/iPhone, connect it to the receiver's front-panel USB port and composite video input using the official Apple Composite AV Cable (sold separately). Your connected iPod/iPhone's music content is controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to control your iPod/iPhone's music content from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on the receiver's front-panel display and your connected TV screen (via HDMI only). You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, Song, or Composer. You can also shuffle the playback of your iPod/iPhone's music and view the Now Playing screen. Video stored on your iPod/iPhone can only be navigated from your iPod device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver). Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (even in standby mode for up to 4 hours). iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (as of 1/11/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu: The RX-A720 offers an on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Russian, or Chinese.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-A720 features four Scene buttons on the front panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. These buttons are initially set to default settings for Blu-ray/DVD viewing, TV viewing, CD listening, and Radio listening. Each can be reprogrammed to any input and any soundfield. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button. Other Scene settings are also available, such as iPod Listening, TV Sports Viewing, and Action Game Playing. Browsing and selecting the settings is quickly accomplished by changing Input via the front panel and watching the on-screen display. The settings can be selected for one-time use, or they can replace the original default settings. The Scene names can be changed also.
Zone 2: The Zone 2 feature allows you to set this receiver to reproduce separate input sources in the main zone and the second zone (Zone 2). The receiver has dedicated stereo RCA outputs for Zone 2, or the built-in amplifier can be configured to power speakers in the second zone connected to the Extra Speaker terminals. By using the RCA outputs on the AV receiver you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 7.1 surround in the main room and play a different stereo audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp. By using the speaker-level outputs on the AV receiver you can directly connect a secondary pair of speakers in another room of your home, allowing you to listen to 5.1 surround sound in your main room and play a different stereo audio source in the other room. When the receiver is powering speakers in Zone 2, the surround back speakers in the main room are turned off (limiting you to 5.1ch in the main room). The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by the AV receiver
- Compatible Zone Sources: You can select the following input
sources for Zone 2.
- Analog Audio Inputs
- AM/FM Tuner (you cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for each zone)
- USB (including iPod/iPhone)
- Internet Radio (vTuner)
- DLNA/Media Player contents
- Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2. You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2.
Note: Unfortunately, a USB source (including iPod/iPhone) and Network connected sources (Internet Radio/Media Player) cannot be played back in different Zones at the same time.
Input Rename: You can rename each input so the display reflects the actual source; choose from 15 templates or create an original name, up to nine characters.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable to 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours.
Multibrand Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multibrand wireless remote control. In addition to the receiver, the remote can control multiple brands of TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD players/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
HDMI Control: The Yamaha AV receiver supports the HDMI control function, which allows you to operate external components via HDMI. If your TV or other external components support HDMI control, you can use the remote controls of those devices to operate some of this unit's functions, and to synchronize this unit with the operation of those devices. You can use the following operations with the remote control of any of the connected HDMI Control compatible devices.
- Power synchronization (On/Standby)
- Volume control, including Mute
- Changing the volume of the audio output signal device (either the TV or the receiver)
AV Controller App: This AV Controller App (free) will turn your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or Android device into a Wi-Fi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. This App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands. You can browse content from all internally available sources such as Internet Radio, USB and AM/FM tuners. You can also control all AV receiver zones such as powering on and changing input for each zone. This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play, Stop and Forward. In addition, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- AV Controller App for Apple: The free AV controller App for Apple is available for download from the Apple iTunes App Store. It supports the iPod touch, iPhone , or iPad with iOS 4.2 or higher installed.
- AV Controller App for Android: The free AV controller App for Android is available for download from the online Android Market. Requires Android 2.1 and up.
Note: You must have a wireless network in your home and the Yamaha AV receiver & Apple or Android device connected to the same network.
Remote Connections: The RX-A720 offers a variety of remote connections.
- 12V Trigger Output: The RX-A720 has a programmable minijack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifier or motorized projection screen. The trigger is programmed either to work with a specific zone (main room or Zone 2) or a specific source.
- Remote Jacks: The receiver has remote input and remote output minijack terminals for use with external IR receivers and compatible Yamaha components.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.