Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Home theater receiver with HDMI switching and video upconversion
Watch a product review
Yamaha '1900, '3900, & 'Z7 receivers
Analog-to-HDMI Conversion and Upconversion
Understanding Automatic Speaker Calibration
Understanding Multi-room/Multi-source Playback
Item # 022RXV3900 | MFR # RXV3900BL
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha RX-V3900 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Yamaha designed the versatile RX-V3900 to make the most of every entertainment source in your system. This multichannel powerhouse teams plenty of clean, high-current Yamaha amplification with sophisticated digital processing to unlock the full potential of the latest audio and video technologies. For example, it can decode Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio two high-resolution surround sound formats found on many newer Blu-ray players and discs. And advanced video processing delivers exceptional picture quality from all of your video sources analog or digital. And that's just the beginning. The 'V3900 also comes packed with great features such as PC networking, HD Radio, iPod® integration, and flexible three-room/three-source output.
1080p HDMI switching and other video conveniences
This receiver's 1080p-compatible HDMI connections let you switch easily among four digital high-definition sources, like an HD satellite tuner and a Blu-ray player, while maintaining pristine digital picture and sound quality. Two HDMI outputs add to the convenience for connecting systems that feature more than one HDTV or projector.
Yamaha also outfitted the RX-V3900 with Anchor Bay's VRS video processor. This sophisticated technology provides superior video scaling and deinterlacing including digital upconversion of all your video sources to resolutions as high as 1080p. You'll see improved detail and smoother playback from your video gear, and enjoy the convenience of a single-cable digital connection to your TV. And this processor supports HDMI-to-HDMI upconversion, a rarity in this price range. That means all incoming HDMI signals can be upscaled by the receiver to a higher resolution that better matches your HDTV.
Easy access to PC music and Internet Radio
You get plenty of digital music options, too. Connect the 'V3900 to a wired PC network and you can access MP3 music files stored on your compatible computer. View track titles on your TV and select the tunes you want to hear using the receiver's remote. You can also listen to Internet Radio stations with your broadband connection. Add Yamaha's optional Wi-Fi® Network Music Commander for a handy way to browse through songs and stations or control playback from anywhere in your home.
More fun with your MP3 collection
When you add the optional Yamaha YDS-11 control dock, your iPod becomes a fully integrated component in your A/V system. You can view its menu on your TV and select songs, photos, or videos using the receiver's remote. A handy front-panel USB input lets you plug in a wide range of portable MP3 players, a USB flash drive, or even a hard disk drive loaded with your favorite tunes. Switch on Yamaha's Compressed Music Enhancer mode to hear your MP3 collection at its best.
The 'V3900 also lets you re-assign up to four of its surround amplifier channels to power stereo speakers in other rooms, or even on your back porch. This lets you play three different audio sources in three different areas of your home at the same time, without the need for any additional amplifiers. Dual-source video output lets you send a second video source to a second or even third display for viewing. Yamaha also includes a basic second remote that, when used with an optional remote control extender system, lets you operate your system from your second or third listening area.
Easy, accurate home theater setup
Yamaha's sophisticated auto-calibration system enables fast, easy, and remarkably accurate home theater setup. The '3900 uses the included microphone to analyze sound from up to eight different listening positions, then automatically adjusts level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. A streamlined on-screen display puts intuitive, easy-to-follow menus on your TV screen to simplify receiver operation and setup. And these menus don't block the entire TV picture, allowing you to control receiver functions on-screen while still viewing your programs. The learning/multibrand remote lets you control every component in your system.
What's in the Box:
- Black AM/FM/Surround Sound receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV386)
- Wireless remote control for Zone 2/3 (RAV36)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed)
- 76" AC power cord
- Acoustic Optimizer microphone with attached 20' cable (has 3.5mm miniplug on the end)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Owner's Manual
- Front panel/remote diagram
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- XM Mini-Tuner information
- Note on updating firmware
- 140 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.04% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, DTS Neo:6, and SRS Circle Surround II decoding
- home PC networking capability with Web browser control
- built-in HD Radio tuner with multi-casting reception and iTunes® tagging
- Advanced YPAO 8-point sound optimization with Quick Start for easy and precise automatic speaker setup (microphone included)
- Cinema DSP 3D modes and enhanced Adaptive DSP level for fuller surround effects at low volumes
- enhanced Adaptive DRC (dynamic range control) for better clarity at lower listening levels
- Anchor Bay PReP and VRS video processing
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural-THX Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- SIRIUS satellite radio capable (requires SIRIUS subscription and optional SiriusConnect home tuner kit)
- iPod integration (requires optional Yamaha YDS-11)
- Improved Compressed Music Enhancer for MP3s and other digital music files, including multi-channel sources
- three-room/three-source capability (powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms, two-source composite video output for a 2nd and 3rd room)
- Digital ToP-ART design
- high-current, low-impedance amplifier construction
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Pure Direct mode for better sound from stereo sources
- Silent Cinema for simulated surround sound via standard stereo headphones
- on-screen GUI (Graphic User Interface) with display overlay
- learning/multibrand remote
- basic remote for second or third listening room (requires remote control extender system, not included)
- 17-1/8"W x 7-1/8"H x 18-7/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching (4 in, 2 out)
- selectable 480p/720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for all non-HD and HDMI sources (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, 120Hz and 24Hz refresh rates, and auto lip-sync compensation
- Ethernet port for computer networking
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from portable USB music players, USB flash drives, and hard disk drives
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- component video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
- 6 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
- 5 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 4 audio-only inputs (including phono)
- digital audio inputs: 5 optical (including 1 front-panel), 3 coaxial
- digital audio outputs: 2 optical
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.1-channel preamp output for connecting optional external amplifiers
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- binding post speaker terminals
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- detachable power cord
Yamaha RX-V3900 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Digital ToP-ART/High Current Amplification: Yamaha uses the Digital ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) design concept, which combines the latest and best technologies, parts, and circuit designs, to maximize sound quality. High Current Amplification uses superior quality components from input to output to achieve high current power with low impedance.
Wide-range Frequency Response: The receiver's wide-range frequency response, 10Hz to 100kHz, allows you to enjoy the full fidelity of DVD-Audio and Super-Audio CD players.
Cinema DSP Digital: Yamaha's proprietary Cinema DSP (Digital Soundfield Processing) Digital technology goes beyond Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, which uses relatively simple matrix and steering techniques to create surround sound effects. Cinema DSP Digital draws on a huge memory of real-world data from actual venues, especially for the music programs, and input from movie sound technicians to deliver a more realistic surround experience.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3 and WMA. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible. You can select between 2-channel Enhancer and 7-channel enhancer.
YPAO Technology: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer), which helps you automatically achieve highly accurate sound adjustments. The advanced YPAO setup allows you to measure up to eight seating positions. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Wiring: Checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each speaker.
- Speaker Distance: Checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the timing of each channel.
- Speaker Size: Checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate low-frequency crossover for each channel.
- Parametric EQ: Adjusts the frequency and the parametric equalizer level of each channel to reduce coloration across the channels and create a cohesive sound field. This is particularly important if you use different brands and sizes of speakers, or if you have a room with unique sonic characteristics.
- Volume Level: Checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
Parametric Equalizer: In connection with YPAO technology, the RX-V3900 employs a parametric equalizer with frequency adjustments in one-third octave increments between 32 Hz and 16 kHz, gain adjustments in 0.5 dB increments between -20dB and +6dB, and Q factor values between 0.5 and 10. Each channel is independently adjustable, including the sub and presence speakers.
Presence Speakers: The receiver has a pair of speaker terminals that can be used for Presence speakers. The presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by Cinema DSP. These effects include sounds that the filmmakers intended to locate a little farther back behind the screen in order to create more theater-like ambience. The Presence speakers should be placed at the front of the room about 1-3 feet outside the front speakers.
Three Zone Capability: The RX-V3900 allows you to play different audio sources in three separate zones. The receiver has two pairs of stereo preamp outputs and two pairs of speaker terminals that can be assigned for Zone 2 or Zone 3 use. Only sources that are connected via analog audio inputs can be output to Zones 2 and 3. You can control the receiver from the second or third zone using the supplied Zone 2/3 remote control when an infrared signal repeater system is used. If you're using the preamp outputs in the second and/or third zone, a separate amplifier or stereo receiver with a pair of speakers, or a powered speaker system are required. Zone 2 and Zone 3 each have a video output as well so you can have one additional video source playing in two different rooms of the house.
Note: Zone 2 and Zone 3 use the same video source.
Multi Channel Input: The receiver features input jacks for an outboard 7.1 channel surround processor or source device.
Digital Inputs/Outputs: Digital audio signals input at the optical or coaxial input jacks can be output at the optical digital outputs.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post speaker terminals for the front, center, surround, surround back, presence/zone 2, and zone 2/zone 3 channels. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. A collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevents the use of spade connectors.
Bi-Amp Speaker Connections: This receiver allows you to reassign the surround back amplifier channels to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker, one amp connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker and the other to the combined midrange and tweeter section, effectively doubling the power driving the speaker. This requires the speakers have bi-amp inputs.
Preamp Outputs: The RX-V3900 offers preamp outputs for all channels: front L/R, center, surround L/R, surround back/presence L/R, subwoofer, zone 2 L/R, and zone 3 L/R for connecting separate amplifiers if desired.
FM/AM Tuner: You can tune stations either manually or automatically. You are able to preset a total 40 stations in 5 preset station groups (A to E). Each group contains 8 station presets. You can preset stations using the auto tuning as well as the manual tuning function.
HD Radio Tuner: The RX-V3900 is equipped with an HD Radio tuner. HD Radio, the only digital broadcast system in America approved by the FCC, offers crystal-clear, CD-quality sound via existing AM/FM bands. In addition, it provides program-associated data and the ability to tune to multiple programs at the same dial position. The RX-V3900 can display HD radio information on the front panel and on a monitor.
192kHz/24-bit DACs: The RX-V3900 uses high quality, audio-grade Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels.
Next Generation Surround Sound: The RX-V3900 offers the latest high definition surround sound formats supported by Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players:
- Dolby TrueHD: a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs; the reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit
- Dolby Digital Plus: developed as an extension to Dolby Digital, the coding technology supports 7.1 discrete channels
- DTS-HD Master Audio: an advanced lossless technology that delivers sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, offering a high-definition home theater experience
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: high resolution audio, virtually indistinguishable from the original audio track
Surround Modes: The RX-V3900 offers the following Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Decoding Formats:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby TrueHD
- Dolby Digital Plus
- DTS-HD Master Audio
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- DTS 96/24
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Music, Movie, and Game)
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Music, Movie, and Game)
- DTS Neo:6 (Music and Cinema)
- Neural-THX Music
- SRS Circle Surround II Cinema
- SRS Circle Surround II Music
- HiFi DSP Modes:
- Classical: Hall in Munich, Hall in Vienna, Hall in Amsterdam, Church in Freiburg, or Chamber
- Live/Club: Village Vanguard, Warehouse Loft, Cellar Club, The Roxy Theatre, or the Bottom Line
- Stereo: 2-channel stereo, 7-channel stereo, 2-channel Enhancer, or 7-channel Enhancer
- Cinema DSP Modes:
- Entertainment: Sports, Action Game, Role-playing game, Music Video, Recital/Opera
- Movie: Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, or Mono Movie
Neural-THX Surround: THX Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. THX Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
XM HD Surround Sound: XM HD Surround provides content with six discrete channels of digital full fidelity audio powered by Neural Audio technology, marking the first time that a radio company has broadcast in 5.1 Surround Sound twenty-four hours a day. XM will broadcast the Fine Tuning (XM Channel 76) and the classical pops music channel XM Pops (XM Channel 113) in XM HD Surround. XM will also broadcast a variety of special shows and live music performances at the XM studios in XM HD Surround.
Dialogue Normalization: This feature of Dolby Digital or DTS is used to keep the programs at the same average listening level so the user does not have to change the volume control between Dolby Digital or DTS programs.
Pure Direct: The Pure Direct mode turns off the video circuitry and the front panel display and bypasses the decoders and DSP processors of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel PCM and analog sources. During Pure Direct playback, tone control and sound menu settings are not available.
Straight Mode: In this mode 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the left and right speakers while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing.
Silent Cinema: The Silent Cinema mode allows private listening of multi-channel music or movies, with an accurate simulation of surround sound, through ordinary stereo headphones.
Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP or HiFi DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front / center / presence speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers.
Adaptive Dynamic Range Control (DRC): During low-volume listening, such as late as night, dynamic range suffers and some sounds are missed. The effect of Adaptive DRC varies with volume, at lower volume the dynamic range is narrowed.
Decoder Parameters: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II/x Music mode:
- Panorama: sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect
- Dimension: adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room
- Center Width: moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers.
Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Focus: Focus elevates the sound image to compensate for speakers placed below ear level; available in SRS Circle Surround II Cinema and Music modes.
TruBass: TruBass enhances the low frequency performance, with or without a subwoofer; available in SRS Circle Surround II Cinema and Music modes.
Soundfield Parameter Adjustments: You can adjust the value of certain digital soundfield parameters so that the soundfields are recreated accurately in your listening room. The following is a list and description of the soundfield adjustments:
- Decoder Type: This function allows you to select the decoder used.
- DSP Levels: This function adjusts the level of all the DSP effect sounds within a narrow range depending on your the acoustics of your listening area. You can adjust the DSP level between -6dB to +3dB
- Initial Delay: This feature changes the apparent distance from the source sound by adjusting the delay between the direct sound and the first reflection heard by the listener. You can select between 1 to 99ms for the Main and Presence speakers and 1 to 49ms for the surround and surround back speakers.
- Room Size: This feature adjust the apparent size of the surround soundfield. You can make adjustments for the Presence, Surround and Surround Back room size between 0.1 to 2.0.
- Liveness: This function adjusts the reflectivity of the virtual walls in the hall by changing the rate at which the early reflections decay. You can adjust the Surround and Surround Back Liveness from 0 to 10.
- Reverberation Time: This setting adjusts the amount of time taken for the dense, subsequent reverberation sound to decay by 60 dB at 1 kHz. You can set this between 1.0 to 5.0 s.
- Reverberation Delay: This function adjust the time difference between the beginning of the direct sound and the beginning of the reverberation sound. You can adjust this setting between 0 to 250ms.
- Reverberation Level: This setting adjusts the volume of the reverberation sound. You can adjust this setting between 0 to 100%.
- Dialog Lift: When Presence speakers are in use, you can activate the Dialog Lift feature, which assigns some of the front and center channel elements to the presence speakers to lift the dialog to a higher position. The effect of the Dialog Lift can be set between 0 and 5, with the higher adjustments reflecting a higher position of the front/center channel sound.
Speaker Setup: This feature allows you to adjust the following speaker settings.
- LFE/Bass Out: Use this feature to select the speakers that will output the LFE (low-frequency effect) and the low-frequency signals. You can choose between Subwoofer, Front Speakers, or Both.
- Speaker Sizes: You can adjust the
following speaker sizes for each speaker in your system.
- Front: select Large or Small
- Center: select Large, Small, or None
- Surround: select Large, Small, or None
- Surround Back: select Large x 1, Large x 2, Small x 1, Small x 2, or None
- Presence Speakers: select between None or Yes
- Bass Crossover: This feature allows you to select the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to Small. You can choose 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, or 200Hz.
- Subwoofer Phase: The feature allows you switch the phase of your subwoofer if the bass sounds are lacking, weak or unclear. You can choose Normal or Reverse.
- Presence/Surround Back Channel Priority: This feature allows you to prioritize either the Presence or the Surround back speakers when playing sources that contain surround back channel signals.
- Speaker Level Adjustment: You can adjust the output level of each speaker from -10dB to +10dB to match their loudness.
- Speaker Distance: This feature is used to manually adjust the distance of each speaker and the delay applied to the respective channel. You can select between 1 to 80 feet in 0.2 foot steps.
Low-Frequency Effect Level: This feature adjusts the output level of the LFE channel according to the capacity of your subwoofer or headphones. You can select between -20 and 0dB.
Dynamic Range: This feature allows you to select the amount of dynamic range compression to be applied to your speakers or headphones. You can select between Minimum, Standard or Maximum.
Bass and Treble Control: You can independently adjust the bass and treble from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB steps. You can also choose at what frequency you want the Bass and Treble enhanced. Bass (125, 350, 500Hz) and Treble (2.5, 3.5, 8.0kHz)
Impedance Selection: You can select between either 8 ohms or 6 ohms in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier's front channels can actually accommodate 4 ohm, 6 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. The remainder of the receiver's channels can handle 6 or 8 ohms.
Audio Delay: You can delay the sound output up to 240 ms in 1 ms steps to synchronize it with the video image.
Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the level of the signal input at each jack. This is useful if you want to balance the level of each input source to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources.
Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the maximum volume level in the main zone. This feature is useful to avoid unexpected loud sound by mistake. You can set the Max Volume between -30.0 dB and +15.0 dB. The actual full volume range is -80 dB to 16.5 dB. Zones 2 and 3 also have individual maximum volume settings.
Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level of the main zone when the power of this unit is turned on. You can choose between Off, Mute, and -80 dB to + 16.5 dB in increments of 0.5 dB. Zones 2 and 3 also have individual initial volume settings.
Channel Mute: This feature mutes specific speaker channels you want to deactivate.
Memory Guard: This feature is use to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
System Memory: This feature is used to save up to four of your favorite settings that can be easily recalled when needed. You can save settings such as the following.
- Soundfield programs parameters
- Speakers settings
- LFE level
- Dynamic range settings
- Parametric equalizer settings
HDMI Inputs/Outputs: This receiver has the capability of repeating 1080p signals from HDMI input to HDMI output. The RX-V3900 is equipped with four HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs for digital multi-channel audio and video signals. The two outputs are live simultaneously. The HDMI inputs and outputs will pass 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and, 1080p (including 1080/24p) video. The HDMI version 1.3a jacks are compatible with 30 and 36 bit Deep Color and xvYCC color space technology (currently no pre-recorded software supports Deep Color or xvYCC).
Component Video: The RX-V3900 offers three component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These inputs and outputs have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 100 MHz, capable of switching High Definition video sources, including 1080p.
Video Conversion: Video conversion allows analog video signals from composite, S-video, and component video sources to be output as digital video signals through the HDMI output. In addition, component video signals can be output as S-video or composite signals, S-video signals can be output as composite or component video signals, and composite video signals can be output as S-video or component video signals. You cannot convert HDMI input signals to any other type of signal.
Standby Through: When the RX-V3900 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows an HDMI source signal to pass through the receiver to the TV. Which HDMI input and output are used can be specifically programmed, or the menu can be set such that the HDMI input and output engaged when the receiver is turned off are used.
Video Scaling (up-conversion): The receiver features Anchor Bay Technology's VRS video processing for advanced analog video up-scaling. The scaler engine will take any resolution input and scale it as high as 1080p (up-scaled video is only available from the HDMI output).
Component I/P Conversion: You can convert 480i analog video signals input as composite video, S-video, and component video to 480p signals output as component video.
Auto Lipsync: When using the HDMI output, the audio and video signals can be synchronized automatically.
On-Screen Display with GUI: An on-screen GUI (Graphical User Interface) display makes operating the receiver easy and intuitive. It is compatible with iPod, internet radio, PC, and USB displays. Six display languages can be selected: English, Spanish, French, German, Russian and Japanese.
Assignable Inputs: All of the HDMI, component video, and digital audio jacks can be assigned to the input of your choice.
Rename: This feature in the GUI Menu allows you to change the name of the inputs in the GUI screen or the front panel display menu. You can use up to 9 characters.
Network Receiver: Using a local area network (LAN) connection and Windows Media Player 11 or Windows Media Connect 2.0, Yamaha Network enabled receivers allow you to play MP3, WMA and WAV music from your PC. The receiver can even be used as a client for Yamaha's MusicCAST home music server, seamlessly integrating with the MCX-2000 digital audio server within your LAN. If the RX-V3900 has a broadband Internet connection you can listen to any of the thousands of stations available on Internet radio using the included vTuner database. You can also stream music Rhapsody (subscription required). With the USB terminal on the front panel you can play music from USB flash drives and portable USB music players.
Web Control: If the receiver is connected to the internet via your LAN, you can control the RX-V3900 using a web browser.
Main Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control (RAV386) with learning capabilities. In addition to the receiver, the remote can control multiple brands of A/V components. The remote has numerous pre-programmed macros which allow you to perform multiple operations with the press of one button. The macros are also user programmable. The remote's LCD and most buttons are backlit when you press any key, or the Light button on the side.
Macro Programming: The macro programming feature makes it possible to perform a series of up to 10 operations with the press of a single button from the receiver's main remote.
Zone 2/3 Remote Control: In addition to the main remote, the receiver comes with a smaller wireless remote control (RAV36). The RAV36 can be set to control the main zone, zone 2, or zone 3.
RS-232C: The RS-232C terminal is a control expansion terminal for factory use only.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer is useful when you are going to sleep while this unit the receiver is playing or recording a source. You can select between Off, 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes.
iPod Universal Dock: With the optional YDS-11 iPod Universal Dock (022YDS11, sold separately), you can connect your iPod digital music player to the RX-V3900 and control audio/video playback using the remote control. Most fourth generation and later iPods (Click Wheel) are compatible. Video from your iPod and album art can be displayed on a connected TV monitor.
XM Satellite Ready: You can listen to XM Satellite Radio by connecting the XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Kit (700XMTUNPK, sold separately) to the RX-V3900's proprietary plug. XM Satellite Radio offers over 150 commercial-free channels of music, news, sports, comedy, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During XM playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name, and song title on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive XM Satellite Radio.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready: You can listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio by connecting the SiriusConnect tuner (607SCH1 or 220SCH2P, sold separately) to the RX-V3900's proprietary plug. SIRIUS Satellite Radio offers over 130 channels of music, news, sports, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During SIRIUS playback you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name and song title, Composer name, channel number and antenna reception level, or Soundfield program on the front panel.
Note: A subscription is required in order to receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.