7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, MusicCast, and Dolby Atmos®
Our take on the Yamaha RX-V585 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Fresh home theater thrills
Yamaha's RX-V585 lets you turn any living space into a home theater, and it even gives you a few options for expanding your system into other rooms. This powerful 7.2-channel receiver offers plenty of customization options for thrilling movie sound, plus it offers playback of several different high-resolution audio formats through its front-panel USB port or a networked computer.
Go above and beyond with 4K, Atmos, and DTS:X
The 'V585 delivers a truly lifelike movie experience when you match it to a 4K Blu-ray player and Ultra HD TV. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding give you 360-degree surround sound to match the stunning picture.
Flexible speaker configurations for a custom sound system
This receiver can power up to seven speakers. You can set up a standard 7.2-channel surround sound system, or you can go with a 5.2-channel setup and use the rear surround channels as height channels in a 5.1.2 Atmos system.
You can also use the receiver's rear surround channels to bi-amp your main front speakers for more powerful sound, or reassign them to set up a wired stereo system in a separate room. The audio in the second zone mirrors what you have playing in your main room, so you can enjoy your music as you move around the house.
A world of wireless listening options
Built-in support for streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, and Pandora® lets you play and control your favorite music directly through the receiver. Apple® AirPlay® lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more streaming flexibility. You can even stream audio from the receiver to a set of Bluetooth headphones — great for late-night listening.
MusicCast lets you listen the way you want
Yamaha's MusicCast technology makes it easier than ever to set up a whole-home wireless music system. You can add audio playback in up to nine additional rooms with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars.
MusicCast lets you stream music from your personal collection, internet radio, and streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. The free MusicCast Controller app makes it easy to access your music and control what you have playing in different rooms.
Wireless surround sound? Yes, please
Want fewer wires in your life? Add MusicCast 50 or MusicCast 20 wireless streaming speakers (available summer 2018). This receiver allows them to be connected as wireless surround speakers in a 5.1 home theater system with traditional wired front and center channel speakers.
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
Alexa voice control integration means you only have to ask when you want to play music, control volume, or turn the receiver on and off. Alexa can even help you link or unlink rooms in your multi-room MusicCast system.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X™ for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports a 5.1.2 Atmos setup with multiple placement patterns for height channels
- upscales HD video signals to 4K Ultra HD
- MusicCast Surround lets you add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 speakers (available summer 2018) to create a 5.1-channel setup with wireless rear surrounds
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for automatic speaker calibration and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control the player from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
- free MusicCast app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 32-bit/192kHz resolution)
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC and ALAC files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
Audio Performance Features:
- four 32-bit/384kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters
- Extra Bass offers enhanced low-frequency response even with small speakers
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality and imaging
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- Surround Back speaker outputs can also be used to bi-amp compatible front speakers, as Zone B speakers in a second room, or as height speakers in a Dolby Atmos setup
- HDMI audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 3 pairs of stereo RCA inputs
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- front-panel minijack (3.5mm) for connecting a smartphone or portable music player
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 7 speakers: Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R
- 1/4" headphone jack
- free Yamaha MusicCast Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K and 3D video pass-through
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel (ARC) function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" content via HDMI
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/8"H x 12-7/8"D (8-7/8"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 17.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, MusicCast, and Dolby Atmos®$499.99
5.1-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and MusicCast$399.99
11.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Dolby Atmos®, DTS:X™, and HEOS
Anthem MRX 1120
11.2-channel home theater receiver with Anthem Room Correction, DTS Play-Fi®, and Dolby Atmos®