Powered sound bar with built-in subwoofers, 4K/HDR video passthrough, and DTS® Virtual:X
Yamaha YAS-108 - Built-in gyroscope optimizes sound whether the bar is mounted vertically or placed flat on a table
Yamaha YAS-108 - DTS® Virtual:X simulates surround and height-channel speakers to create a spacious, lively soundstage
Our take on the Yamaha YAS-108 by Crutchfield's Emily S.
A "bang for your buck" champ from Yamaha
Our customers were consistently shocked at the quality of sound they got from the previous version of this budget-friendly sound bar. Reviewers had many different ways of saying it should probably cost a lot more. I recently got to hear Yamaha's updated YAS-108 in person, and I was also astounded by the rich, full-range sound it put out. Its DTS Virtual:X processing did a great job of filling our cavernous vendor training room with simulated surround sound.
Onboard amplification powers six drivers, including a pair of built-in ported subwoofers that deliver more bass than you'd expect from such a slim bar, especially at this price point. But if you want even more low-end rumble, there's a dedicated output for adding on a separate powered sub.
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. The drivers inside the YAS-108 sound bar are slightly angled, but they're placed more or less where you'd expect to find them in two-channel bar. There are no upward-firing drivers. Instead, DTS Virtual:X almost completely relies on digital sound processing.
DTS uses what they call "spatial audio techniques" to make it seem like the sound is all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Check out Jeff Miller's article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details.
Don't miss a word
Sometimes I have to rewind movie and TV shows because I didn't catch what the actor just said, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It can be hard to hear dialogue over the background noise. That's where Yamaha's Clear Voice processing comes in handy — it brings speech to the forefront so that dialogue is easier to hear and understand.
Stream your favorite tunes
Built-in Bluetooth makes it easy to stream your favorite tunes. You can wirelessly connect up to two compatible devices at once for quick switching between them. And if you have an Alexa-enabled device, you can pair the YAS-108 to that with Bluetooth, too.
- ultra-slim design sits on your TV stand or mounts on your wall
- two-channel sound bar with simulated surround sound
- two 1" balanced dome tweeters
- two 2-1/8" midrange drivers
- two 3" cone subwoofers
- built-in amplifiers: 30 watts x 2 for front left and right drivers, 60 watts for bass drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- pair with an Amazon Echo device for Alexa voice control
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing
- emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- simulated surround and height-channel speakers create a spacious, lively soundstage
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, TV Program, Sports, and Game
- Clear Voice processing makes dialogue easier to hear
- remote control offers Bass Extension button and independent volume control for built-in subs
Connections and Dimensions:
- 1 HDMI input
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- supports 3D and 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR) and HDMI-CEC
- 1 HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- 1 optical digital audio input
- 1 stereo minijack audio input
- subwoofer output
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- built-in gyroscope determines orientation (table top or wall-mounted) and optimizes sound accordingly
- remote control
- 35"W x 2-1/8"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 7.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||1" dome (2)|
|Midrange||2.125" Cone (2)|
|Woofer||3" Cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||---|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||---|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||---|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||---|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/8H x 35W x 5-1/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.1 lbs|
|Subwoofer Weight||Not Given|
Why did you buy this?
Good reviews [ Andrew Jul 10, 2018 ]
I chose the Yamaha YAS-108 due to the rave reviews of the prior model (YAS-107) Also the excellent reputation of Yamaha products in general and the price. [ Johnny Jul 09, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Powered sound bar with built-in subwoofers, 4K/HDR video passthrough, and DTS® Virtual:X$199.99
ZVOX AV200 AccuVoice TV Speaker
Powered sound bar with dialogue boost
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and DTS Virtual:X®
Powered home theater sound system/TV platform/wireless music system