Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Yamaha YSP-5100 Digital Sound Projector
Powered home theater sound bar
Watch a product review
Yamaha YSP-5100 Digital Sound Projector sound bar
Item # 022YSP5100 | MFR # YSP5100BL
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Yamaha YSP-5100 Digital Sound Projector by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
Fill your room with sound, not gear
Yamaha's YSP-5100 works in rooms where traditional home theater speakers won't fit. This slim sound bar speaker uses sophisticated internal processing to direct sound beams off you walls, creating an effect similar to having seven speakers set up in your room. If you have a Blu-ray player, you can hook it up to the '5100 and enjoy the cutting-edge soundtracks found on today's Blu-ray Discs. And built-in wireless technology gives you a convenient way to connect your iPod® or iPhone® and listen to your tunes through the sound bar.
Breakthrough surround sound technology
The YSP-5100 creates three-dimensional surround sound without the need for rear speakers. Versatile Yamaha processing and built-in amplification team up with a sophisticated driver array 44 speakers, in all to beam the sound exactly where it needs to go. The result? Room-filling home theater audio from a single sleek component.
Helpful wireless conveniences
Connect the included wireless transmitter to your compatible iPod® or iPhone®, and you can play your tunes on the system without any docks or cables. What's more, your iPod or iPhone becomes a "remote" for the system, giving you easy access not only to your songs, but also volume and power on/off controls. The Digital Sound Projector also comes with a wireless subwoofer interface that makes setup more convenient. No matter what powered subwoofer you use, this wireless interface means you can place it where it sounds best in your room, without having to run a cable to the sound bar.
Connect all your home theater gear
The Digital Sound Projector includes built-in amplification and processing, so you won't need a receiver or amp. Just connect your Blu-ray player, cable box, or other audio/video components directly to the '5100 for enveloping sound. You can even hook up four of your sources using full HD 1080p HDMI connections. Plus, the '5100 can upconvert analog sources near-HD quality and send those higher-resolution signals to your TV via HDMI.
Listen to music from your iPod® or SIRIUS® Satellite Radio
This Digital Sound Projector is SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready add an optional SiriusConnect Home tuner for access to a wide variety of digital music, news, sports programming, and more. (SIRIUS subscription required.) And if you own an iPod or iPhone, the included wireless transmitter gives you a quick, easy way to connect your music player and control it using the system's remote.
Easy setup in any room
A user-friendly calibration system ensures hassle-free setup. Just plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite listening spot. In less than three minutes, the Digital Sound Projector automatically optimizes itself to give you the best, most convincing sound for your specific room. You can wall-mount the '5100 below a flat-panel TV using the optional bracket, or set it on a shelf or table.
What's in the Box:
- Black YSP-5100 Digital Sound Projector
- Wireless remote (FSR101)
- 2 "AAA" Batteries
- 6.5' AC power cord
- PDX-50TX Wireless transmitter for iPod
- PDX-50BC Charging cradle
- AC adapter for PDX-50BC with attached 6' DC output cord (DC output: 5V/1A)
- SWI-W10 Wireless Subwoofer Kit with attached 6.25' AC cord
- Acoustic Optimizer microphone with attached 19.5' cable (has 3.5mm mini-plug on the end)
- Cardboard microphone stand
- FM wire antenna
- 5' Stereo RCA patch cord
- 5' RCA composite video cable
- 5' RCA coaxial digital cable
- Black metal stand (2 pieces left and right)
- 5' Optical digital cable
- 2 M6 x 15mm bolts (with flat and split lock washers)
- Demonstration DVD
- Owner's manual on CD-ROM
- Safety and Accessory Information
- Quick Reference Guide
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- surround sound from a single amplified speaker ideal for TVs 50" and up
- CINEMA DSP technology delivers 360º wraparound sound from just one speaker
- 11 CINEMA DSP programs, including three movie, three music, and five entertainment modes
- UniVolume keeps volume during TV programs and commercials at the same level
- IntelliBeam automatic speaker calibration (mic included)
- 44 total drivers, including forty 1-9/16" drivers, two 4-5/16" woofers, and two 1" tweeters
- 120-watt peak system power (2 watts x 40, 20 watts x 2)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS Neo:6 processing
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready requires SiriusConnect Home tuner
- compatible with iPod® and iPhone® via included wireless transmitter (YIT-W10)
- analog-to-digital video upconversion up to 1080p via HDMI output
- 7 video inputs: 4 HDMI, 1 component, and 2 composite
- 2 video outputs: 1 HDMI and 1 composite
- audio outputs include 2 analog, 2 optical digital, and 1 coaxial digital
- front-panel minijack for connecting a portable player
- subwoofer output, plus supplied transmitter (SWK-W10) for wireless connection with any subwoofer
- remote control, plus IR port for remote repeater systems and RS-232C port for third-party controllers
- weight: 24.3 lbs.
- 47-1/8"W x 8-5/16"H x 3-7/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Yamaha YSP-5100 Digital Sound Projector Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||1" Balanced dome (x2)|
|Midrange||1.5625" Cone (x40)|
|Woofer||4.3125" Cone (x2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Stand|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||75-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||2W x 40 + 20W x 2|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||---|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Subwoofer Output||2 Mono RCA|
|Sound Bar (inches)||8-5/16H x 47-1/8W x 3-7/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||24.3 lbs|
|Subwoofer Weight||Not Given|
Digital Sound Projector: The Yamaha Digital Sound Projector technology allows a single "sound bar" unit to control and steer multiple channels of sound to generate multi-channel surround sound, all without the need for satellite speakers and cables. The YSP-5100 has multiple audio and video inputs, including 4 HDMI inputs and one output, and a wireless iPod dock. You can add a powered subwoofer using the supplied Wireless Subwoofer Kit or the wired preamp output.
3D Capable: Through a firmware update (version 7.03), 3D video pass-through and ARC (Audio Return Channel) capability can be added for the HDMI connectors. In order to install the firmware update into the YSP-5100, you will need a computer capable of burning an audio CD, and a Blu-ray, DVD, or CD player with an optical or coaxial digital audio connection (a CD player is preferred).
Beam Modes: The five beams (channels) offer several settings to best suit the environment:
- Beam Modes for 5.1 Channels:
- 5 Beam: typical surround with five full range channels
- Stereo + 3 Beam: left and right stereo, plus center channel and left and right surround channels, ideal for live concert DVDs to narrow the stage but keep the depth and reflections of the venue
- 3 Beam: outputs only the left, right, and center channels, widens the ideal listening area. Surround right and left channels are mixed into the front right and left channels.
- Beam Modes for 7.1 Channels:
- 5 BeamPlus2: outputs sound beams from the front right and left, center, and surround back right and left channels. The surround right and left channels are mixed into the front right and left and surround back right and left channels.
- Stereo + 3 BeamPlus 2: left and right stereo, plus center and surround back right and left channels. The surround right and left channels are mixed into the front right and left and surround back right and left channels.
- 3 Beam: outputs only the left, right, and center channels. Surround right and left channels and surround back right and left channels are mixed into the front right and left channels.
- Stereo: 2-channel and 5-channel stereo without surround processing
Surround Formats: The YSP-5100 offers the following digital and analog Surround Modes for movies and music:
- Dolby Digital: includes Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Digital, Dolby ProLogic, Dolby ProLogic II, Dolby ProLogic IIx
- DTS: includes DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DTS-ES (discrete and matrix), DTS Neo:6
Cinema DSP Digital: Yamaha's proprietary Cinema DSP (Digital Soundfield Processing) chip contains precise digital recreations of actual acoustic environments. There are DSP options designed for music, movies, and sports:
- Music DSP Modes:
- Music Video: reproduces a vibrant environment
- Concert Hall: rich effect of a large round concert hall with a lot of presence, placing you near the center of the stage
- Jazz Club: recreates "The Bottom Line", a famous jazz club in New York city, places you right in front of the stage
- Movie DSP Modes:
- Sci-Fi: clearly reproduces dialog and special effects, mimics a large space
- Spectacle: reproduces a wide and grand environment
- Adventure: reproduces the dynamics and excitement of fast moving action movies
- Sports: converges the commentator's voice on the center and broadens the overall atmosphere of the stadium
- Talk Show: reproduces the excitement of live talk shows, while keeping the conversations at a comfortable volume.
- Drama: stabilizes reverberations that match a wide range of movie genres and offers an optimum 3D feeling.
- Game: suitable for adventure and role-playing games, representing the depth and spatial feeling of the field of play while offering movie-like surround effects.
- Mch Stereo: downmixes multi-channel sources to 2 channels, and outputs the sound from all speakers.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Sophisticated digital signal processing and exclusive algorithms regenerate the harmonics missing from compressed music (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc). Highs and lows become richer and smoother, and music is restored to as close to the original as possible.
Automatic Setup: This unit employs IntelliBeam, a combination of beam optimization and sound optimization. These two processes help you automatically achieve very accurate sound adjustments. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, IntelliBeam performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Beam + Sound Optimization: optimizes the beam angle, delay, volume, and quality so the parameters best match your listening environment (takes about 3 minutes)
- Beam Optimization: optimizes the beam angle only (takes about 1 minute)
- Sound Optimization: optimizes the beam delay, volume, and quality only (takes about 3 minutes)
Manual Beam Setup: In addition to the auto setup, you can manually fine tune the beam outputs:
- Setting Parameters
- Position: flat to wall or angled
- Installed Height: between 0 to 10 feet
- Room Configuration: enter length and width of room
- Distance Settings: distance from the unit to left wall, and distance from speaker to listening position
- Beam Adjustment:
- Horizontal Angle: set the the horizontal angle of the listening position relative to the center of the speaker, this adjusts the angle of each beam to best match your listening position
- Vertical Angle: set the the vertical angle to best match your listening height, relative to the speaker
- Beam Travel Length: total travel distance from speaker to reflecting surface to ear for each beam
- Focal Length: distance from the speaker to the focal point of each beam (where the speaker would be if you had five separate speakers)
- Image Location: adjust the direction from which the front left and right speakers are heard if they sound unnatural
Sound Setup: In addition to the auto setup, sound adjustments can be made manually. The menu allows you to adjust the bass and treble, indicate the presence (or lack) of a subwoofer, adjust audio delay and lip sync, and Dynamic Range Control.
Memory: The YSP-5100 has three memory registers to save the beam and sound settings for easy recall. This is useful for saving settings under varying conditions (curtains open, curtains closed, etc).
Turn On Volume: You can program the volume setting at which the unit plays when it is first turned on.
OSD: The on screen display (OSD) is output only through the composite video jack (not through the HDMI output). It is designed to help during the initial setup of your system.
SIRIUS Satellite Ready: You can listen to SIRIUS Satellite Radio by connecting the SiriusConnect Tuner (item number 607SCH1) to the proprietary plug on the rear panel. A 50' extension cable (item number 220SIRXT50) is available if the Home Kit's 20.75' cable is not long enough. During SIRIUS playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, or artist name and song title on the front panel. A subscription is required in order to receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio.
FM Tuner: You can tune stations either manually or automatically. You are able to preset a total 40 stations using the auto tuning as well as the manual tuning function.
iPod Compatible: The YSP-5100 comes with the YIT-W10 wireless transmission system for iPod and iPhone. The YIT-W10 employs Yamaha's "yAired" technology to establish a wireless connection with the YSP-5100 or other "yAired" products. The YIT-W10 consists of the PDX-50TX wireless transmitter for iPod, the PDX-50BC charging cradle, and an AC adapter. Through the PDX-50TX, you can use the iPod as a remote control while listening to your iPod music, and provides synchronized power on and off. The unit is compatible with the following iPods:
- iPod classic
- iPod 5th generation
- iPod touch
- iPod nano
- iPhone 3G
Note: The iPod 4th generation and iPod mini will play and charge using the wireless transmitter, however, you cannot remotely change the volume with the iPod.
Wireless Subwoofer Kit: The YSP-5100 includes the SWI-W10 Wireless Subwoofer Kit, which also uses "yAired" technology to allow you to wirelessly connect an optional powered subwoofer. There's no need to run a long subwoofer cable from the Digital Sound Projector. Just connect your subwoofer to the SWI-W10, and the sub receives the LFE signal wirelessly.
Installation: The YSP-5100 has four threaded mounting holes on the back for an optional wall-mount bracket (item number 022SPMK30). It can also be placed on a shelf or a stand. Positioning can be parallel to a wall or in a corner. The only major requirement is the room must have side and rear walls for beam reflection to create the surround effect. Note: Although the unit is shielded, Yamaha recommends not placing it directly on top of a CRT tube TV.
HDMI: There are four HDMI inputs and an HDMI monitor output on the rear panel. The YSP-5100 supports resolutions up to 1080p via HDMI and HDMI-control when connected to a compatible TV. Analog video inputs (composite or component video) can be scaled and output at up to 1080p from the HDMI output. The HDMI connections also support Deep Color, x.v.Color, Auto Lip-Sync, and CEC functionality.
Multi-brand Remote Control: The receiver comes with a multi-brand wireless remote control. In addition to this unit, the remote can control multiple brands of cable boxes, satellite receivers, TVs, VCRs, and DVD players.
UniVolume: The UniVolume function adjusts the volume level of the TV so that it will not increase suddenly whenever the contents being broadcast change due to commercials. It should be turned off when listening to music.
Volume Trim: The level of each input can be adjusted so the volume remains the same when switching from one input to another.
Dimmer: The display can be dimmed manually or set to dim automatically if no operation is performed for a specified period.
Maximum Volume Level: You can set a maximum volume so the unit can not be turned up beyond that point.
Sleep Timer: You can set the sleep timer to turn the unit off in 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Input: toggle between inputs; TV, Aux1, Aux2, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, HDMI4, iPod, FM, and SIRIUS
- Volume: up/down
- Standby/On: power button
- HDMI: 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output
- FM Antenna: threaded coax antenna input
- Video Inputs: component video, composite video
- Video Output: composite video
- Subwoofer Out: mono RCA output
- Audio In:
- Aux 1: analog stereo RCA audio
- TV: analog stereo RCA audio
- Digital In:
- Aux 1: optical digital input
- Aux 2: coaxial digital input
- TV: optical digital input
- SIRIUS: multi-pin input for the optional SIRIUS tuner
- IR In: 3.5mm mini-jack control expansion terminals for commercial use only
- System Connector: connects to compatible Yamaha subwoofer
- RS-232C: for compatible system control
- Pre Out: eight preamp outputs for front L/R, surround L/R, surround back L/R, center, subwoofer
- IR-Out: 3.5mm mini-jack control expansion terminals for commercial use only
- Intellibeam Mic: 3.5mm Optimizer microphone jack (front panel)
- 2 x 1" balanced dome tweeters
- 40 x 1-9/16" speakers
- 2 x 4-5/16" speakers
- 2 watts x 40 (1-9/16" speakers)
- 20 watts x 2 (4-5/16" speakers and 1" tweeters)
- Weight: 24.3 pounds
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
Dolly, a Crutchfield advisor, listens to a sound bar demo at Crutchfield, and picks out her favorite one: the Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50.