Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Networking iPod® dock
Item # 033ASD51N | MFR # ASD51N
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Denon ASD-51N by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Connect the ASD-51N dock to an audio/video system and tap into your digital entertainment library. You get easy access to music and photos stored on the PCs in your home network, plus music, photo and video playback from your iPod or iPhone. The dock can also tune in Internet radio stations using your broadband connection, without requiring a computer.
The dock's "Party Mode" setting lets you stream audio to up to five networked Denon devices. The source can be your iPod, Internet radio, your Rhapsody or Napster subscription, or the music stored on your PC. Have everybody grooving to the same tune in your living room, your kitchen, and wherever else you have a connected Denon system.
The ASD-51N displays a user-friendly menu screen on your TV, making it easy to browse through your PC's and iPod's songs and playlists to select the music you want. And you can control everything with yourt Denon receiver's remote. The dock includes its own remote, too, so you can use it with other brands of audio/video gear.
What's in the Box:
- ASD-51N Network Dock for iPod
- RC-1137 wireless remote control (with installed CR2025 lithium-cell battery)
- AC power adapter with attached 6' DC cord (6V/1.5A)
- 6.5' A/V cable (with stereo RCA/minijack/S-video plugs on each end)
- Owner's Manual (Eng/Spa/Fre/Ger)
- Warranty information
- Denon service network information
- for docking iPods, including 160 GB iPod classic®, fifth generation iPod nano® and third generation iPod touch®
- compatible with iPhone and iPhone 3G
- allows iPod control with Denon remotes
- plays WMA, MP3, WAV, FLAC, and unprotected AAC files
- displays JPEG images
- access Internet radio without a PC (requires free vTuner software download from Denon)
- access music and photos from a networked computer
- "Party Mode" stream the same audio to up to 5 networked Denon components
- compatible with Napster and Rhapsody
- iPod recharges automatically when docked
- RCA stereo audio output
- S-video output
- coaxial digital audio output
- Ethernet port
- remote control
- AC adapter
- 11.3 oz.
- 4-3/4"W x 1-3/4"H x 5-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Windows® XP (Service Pack 2 or higher); Windows Vista; Windows 7
- Windows Media Player 11
- 300MB or more free disk space
Overview: The Denon Control Dock for iPod ASD-51N network client device allows your iPod to be connected to your home network system via Ethernet connection. MP3 and non-protected AAC Audio files from your iPod can then be streamed for listening over your home network. Additionally, viewing video pictures and still image photos with video compatible iPods is also possible. The ASD-51N also supports Rhapsody and Napster subscription-based music services, as well as providing access to your favorite internet radio stations (internet connection required). The ASD-51N is DLNA certified for ease of setup and use. The unit's standard D-dock port is also supplied for current model receiver integration and is compatible with previous receiver models that have the Denon D-dock port for command and control. Your iPod will also stay charged while docked in the ASD-51N keeping it ready to go. A remote is also supplied with the ASD-51N for easy operation.
Denon Component Compatibility: The ASD-51N is compatible with Denon receivers and Denon mini-component systems featuring the dock control jack.
Additional Component Compatibility: The ASD-51N can also be used with components not having the dock control jack, but do have audio/video inputs. You are still able to control the iPod from the ASD-51N's remote control or the iPod, itself.
iPod Compatibility: The ASD-51N supports audio/video playback (video is output through S-video), remote control, display information, and charging of select iPods or iPhones with a dock connector. This add-on dock is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod model functions when used with a compatible Denon AV receiver (as of Dec. 2009):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until an newer software update is available.
GUI (Graphical User Interface): To allow for easier browsing and playback of your files, the ASD-51N provides an intuitive GUI with album artwork via S-Video connection to your television. Multi-language for both GUI and Meta Data are available including English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese.
Remote Control: The ASD-51N comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control for operating your docked iPod. The remote control included with your compatible Denon receiver can also be used to control your iPod, if you connect the ASD-51N to the Dock Control port on back of your compatible Denon receiver. If you prefer, the controls on your iPod can be used as well.
Note: When the Dock Control terminal is connected, the ASD-51N no longer accepts remote control commands. To use the remote control unit, point it at the remote control sensor on the connected Denon receiver when operating it.
Network Media Playback: The ASD-51N can be used to play Internet radio stations, subscription-based music services, or music and still picture (JPEG) files stored on your computer through your connected Denon receiver.
- Media Player: The ASD-51N can access Windows Media Player (version 11 or later) and iTunes (non-DRM files only) to get music, photos and playlists from your PC and play them through your connected Denon receiver and television. The ASD-51N supports MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), MPEG-4 AAC (16-320kbps) WAV (LPCM) and FLAC (.flac) music audio file formats and JPEG still images
- Internet Radio: The ASD-51N allows you to access a list of over 7,000 radio stations (MP3/WMA format) via "vTuner" service and enjoy your favorite music channels when connected to your PC's network and your compatible Denon receiver. Stations can be selected by genre and region.
- Subscription-Based Music Services: The
ASD-51N supports Rhapsody
and Napster, subscription-based music services.
- Napster: Napster is a monthly subscription music distribution service provided by Napster. This service allows you to download and play pieces of music you want to hear on the ASD-51N, through your home receiver. Before you can use Napster, you will need to visit the Napster website on your PC to create an account and register as a member.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is a paid music broadcast service of Real Networks. When you first listen to Rhapsody, it is necessary to subscribe to a Rhapsody account at the Rhapsody homepage by your PC and register this machine.
Web Control Function: You can also operate the Denon ASD-51N using your PC's, iPod touch, or iPhone's web browser.
Mobile Device Operation: You can play music stored on your network by operating a wireless LAN-compatible mobile device (conforming to the DLNA standard). This function allows you to play contents located on your computer (media server) or mobile device (PDA, Cell-phone) connected to your network by operating a mobile device in the same network. From your mobile device, you can browse your media server in the same network and choose the contents you want to play, or select the contents you want to play from among your mobile devices.
Note: The ASD-51N will still need to be connected to your home network system via Ethernet connection.
Party Mode: A Party Mode allows simultaneous playback of the same music (iPod/Internet Radio/PC music) in up to five rooms when connected to compatible Denon Party Mode-compliant components (AVR-3310CI and AVR-4310CI).
Note: Rhapsody and Napster are not available in the Party Mode.
System Requirements: A broadband line connect to the Internet is required in order to use the ASD-51N's Internet radio function and firmware update. When using the ASD-51N, it is recommend you use a router equipped with the following functions: Built-In DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server, Built-in 100BASE-TX switch. A CAT-5 or greater Ethernet cable is recommended for making the connection. Your computer should me the following system requirements.
- OS: Windows XP Service Pack2, Windows Vista
- Software: Windows Media Player ver. 11 or DLNA-compatible server software
- Internet Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- Memory: 300 MB or more free disk space
- Connection: LAN port
Connections: The ASD-51N Dock has the following connections:
- iPod dock connector: proprietary 30-pin Apple iPod dock connector for connecting your iPod
- Ethernet: LAN port/Ethernet connector for connecting unit to your PC's network (Ethernet cable not supplied)
- Dock Control: 3.5mm (1/8") minijack for supplied control-A/V cable
- Remote Control: 3.5mm (1/8") minijack for connecting ASD-51N to a receiver's Remote Control jack; the ASD-51N receives remote control signals from connected equipment, and these signals are sent to the equipment to operate it
- S-Video Out: S-Video jack to display photos, video, and song info using supplied control-A/V cable
- Audio Out: Left and right RCA jacks for supplied control-A/V cable
- Digital Out: coaxial digital output jack for connecting optional coaxial digital cable (sold separately)
- DC In (6V/1.5A): Round DC power connector for supplied AC adapter
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.