Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
A/V receiver with DTS-ES, Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II
Item # 033AVR3802 | MFR # AVR-3802
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Denon AVR-3802 by Crutchfield's Barry Montgomery
Whatever your A/V entertainment desires movies, music, or both and whatever your multichannel or multi-speaker fantasies, the Denon AVR-3802 has the power, processing, and flexibility to turn your dreams into reality!
The sound quality is stunning, thanks to 110 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels worth of high-current Denon amplification. All that on-board power lets you hook up front left/center/right, surround left/right, and back surround left/right speakers for an enveloping 360° experience. Plus, you get yet another pair of speaker terminals for connecting rear corner-mounted directional speakers great for multichannel music sources like DVD-Audio! Denon's dual surround mode speaker switching lets you route power to different pairs of surround speakers, as needed for optimum movie or music surround.
The AVR-3802's built-in multichannel processing will have you using your speakers a lot! You get DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, and Pro Logic II decoding, plus Denon's Widescreen 7.1 mode which delivers 7.1 sound with stereo, matrix-encoded, and discrete 5.1-channel sources. Denon's DDSC-Digital (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit) configuration uses separate circuit blocks for A/D conversion, surround decoding, other DSP, and D/A conversion each function is optimized, and so is your sound! An advanced 32-bit SHARC processor performs the digital duties with precision.
System control is a breeze using the included learning/multibrand remote and TV-based on-screen display. The AVR-3802 can even deliver 2 different sources to 2 separate rooms of your home, simultaneously. Now that's versatility!
- 110 watts x 7 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
- Widescreen 7.1 mode
- DTS Neo:6 modes
- 2-room/2-source output
- learning/multibrand backlit LCD remote with macros
- digital inputs: 3 optical, 1 coaxial
- digital output: 1 optical
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (27MHz bandwidth)
- 3 audio and 5 A/V (including 5 S-video) inputs
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs and outputs
- Cinema EQ
- dual surround mode speaker selection
- on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
- 96kHz/24-bit D/A converters
- 32-bit SHARC processor
- high-current, low-impedance amp design
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-883 Wireless remote control
- 3 "AA" batteries
- 1 FM Antenna adapter
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- "Denon Service Network" sheet
- List of Preset Codes
Features and Specs
Dolby Pro Logic II: Enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback. The Dolby Pro Logic II decoder reproduces dynamic 5.1-channel surround sound not only from normal 5.1-channel DVD but from 2-channel sources as well. Dolby Pro Logic II uses matrix decoding technology that has been dramatically improved over Pro Logic. With Pro Logic II, for instance, the Surround (Rear) channels are in stereo (only mono with Pro Logic) and playback covers the full frequency range (only up to 7 kHz with Pro Logic). These improvements let you enjoy a wide variety of 2-channel sources with the exciting effects of 5.1-channel surround sound. In Dolby Pro Logic II, there is a Movie mode that creates a sound space suitable for movies, a Music mode that does the same for music, and a Pro Logic emulation feature that reproduces sound effects in the way that conventional Pro Logic does.
DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES includes the Surround Back (SB; also known as Surround Rear) channel in addition to the existing 5.1 surround channels of front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and LFE, enabling surround playback from a total of 6.1 channels. Due to differences in surround signal recording methods, DTS-ES offers two types of signal formats:
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: Discrete 6.1 utilizes the digital discrete method to record all 6.1 channels, including the newly-added surround back channel, as independent channels. Since the surround left, surround right, and surround back channels are fully independent, sound can be freely designed and sound images can move freely and rapidly amongst each other within a background sound that envelopes the room from all sides.
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: In the Matrix 6.1 format, the surround back channel is matrix encoded in advance to the surround left and surround right channels, and when a matrix decoder plays them back, they are decoded into separate surround left, surround right, and surround back channels.
DTS Neo:6 Surround: Featuring the newest DTS matrix processing technology, the DTS Neo:6 function provides up to 6.1-channel surround sound from conventional stereo sources, and can be used with virtually any 2-channel stereo source, analog or digital. Two modes are provided: Neo:6 Cinema is optimized for surround encoded stereo movie soundtracks, while Neo:6 Music mode is optimized for superior surround sound with stereo music sources.
Hefty Power Transformer for Stable Supply of Power: A huge power transformer has been connected in the power section where it is combined with a rectifier diode and a large block capacitor to ensure a large, stable supply of electrical current.
High Power Custom Transistor: When temperatures rise or fall inside the unit, bias current values supplied to the power transistor tend to fluctuate, causing sound quality to deteriorate. The high power custom transistor used in the AVR-3802 ensures that the bias current is constantly uniform so that the sound you hear is of consistently stable, high quality.
Wide Range Circuit Topology: Front end and power amplifier circuitry is designed with flat frequency response that extends to 100 kHz, perfectly suited for next-generation wide range audio media such as SACD and DVD-Audio.
DDSC-Digital (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit): DDSC-Digital is a circuit configuration specially designed by Denon in which all the elements of the surround processor are optimized by the use of selected high performance discrete elements, including separate A/D and D/A conversion, with sophisticated DSP surround decoding.
32-bit SHARC Processor: Featuring the latest Analog Devices 32-bit floating point SHARC DSP processor, the AVR-3802 provides superb resolution and widest dynamic range of Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM audio signals.
24-bit, 96 kHz A/D Converters: The AVR-3802 uses highly accurate 24-bit, 96 kHz A/D converters to handle analog to digital conversion. Since the converted digital signals are at extremely high resolution, the resulting sound quality is far more faithful to the original source than with conventional designs.
On-Screen Display (OSD): An OSD can be displayed on your television for easy system setup. The OSD is sent through the S-video and composite video monitor outputs; the OSD is not sent through the component video output.
7.1 Multi-Channel Input: The AVR-3802 is equipped with a 7.1-channel input to accommodate present and future multi-channel formats, such as DVD-Audio.
Multi-Zone Output: The AVR-3802 provides a Multi-Zone Output function and a Select function that let you output different sources to multiple zones. Sources can be selected for output to up to 1 additional zone, in addition to the main room. Multi-room Zone can have variable pre-amp output. The AVR-3802's Power Amplifier Assign function lets you assign the 2 Surround Back (SB L/R) amplifier channels to instead drive the Multi-room Zone powered speaker outputs, with 110 Watts per channel power output capability, while still providing 5 full amplifier channels to drive the main and surround speakers in the home theater room.
Dual Surround Speaker Mode: The AVR-3802 provides the ability to connect two different sets of surround speakers, and place them in the appropriate locations in your home theater room, so that you can enjoy both movie soundtracks and music listening, with optimum results and no compromise.
Surround Modes: In addition to straight Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS playback, you can choose from the following modes:
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Enjoy 2-channel stereo recordings in stunning 5.1-channel surround playback. In Dolby Pro Logic II, there is a Movie mode that creates a sound space suitable for movies, a Music mode that does the same for music, and a Pro Logic emulation feature that reproduces sound effects in the way that conventional Pro Logic does.
- DTS ES Discrete 6.1 and DTS ES Matrix 6.1: DTS ES Matrix 6.1 performs matrix decoding to create a rear center speaker. DTS ES Discrete 6.1 features digital discrete recording of all channels including the surround back channel.
- DTS NEO:6: Allows you to choose Neo:6 Cinema mode, which is optimized for surround encoded stereo movie soundtracks, or Neo:6 Music mode, which is optimized for superior surround sound with stereo music sources.
- Wide Screen: Select this to achieve an atmosphere like that of a movie theater with a large screen. In this mode, all signal sources are played in the 7.1-channel mode, including Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital 5.1-channel sources. Effects simulating the multi- surround speakers of movie theaters are added to the surround channels.
- Rock Arena: Use this mode to achieve the feeling of a live concert in an arena with reflected sounds coming from all directions
- Jazz Club: This mode creates the sound field of a live house with a low ceiling and hard walls. This mode gives jazz a very vivid realism.
- Video Game: Use this mode to enjoy video game sources
- Matrix: Select this to emphasize the sense of expansion for music sources recorded in stereo
- Mono Movie: Select this when watching monaural movies for a greater sense of expansion
- 5Ch/7Ch Stereo: The front left channel signals are output to the surround and surround back signal left channels, the front right channel signals are output to the surround and surround back signal right channels, and the in-phase component of the left and right channels is output to the center channel. Use this mode to enjoy stereo sound.
Panorama Mode (Dolby Pro Logic II): This mode extends the front stereo image to include the surround speakers for an exciting "wraparound" effect with side wall imaging. You can select "Off" or "On".
Dimension Control (Dolby Pro Logic II): This control gradually adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear. The control can be set in 7 steps from 0 to 6.
Center Width Control (Dolby Pro Logic II): This control adjusts the center image so it may be heard only from the center speaker, only from the left/right speakers as a phantom image, or from all three front speakers to varying degrees. The control can be set in 8 steps from 0 to 7.
Personal Memory Plus: The Personal Memory Plus function automatically memorizes the surround modes and input modes selected for the different input sources. When an input source is selected, the modes stored in memory for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings and playback level balance for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Direct Mode: In addition to surround sound playback, the AVR-3802 lets you enjoy pure 2-channel stereo sound without any digital processing.
Bass Management and Speaker Setup: Various speaker size settings are available to ensure that small speakers do not receive full-range signals and to tell the receiver where to send signals.
- Front Speakers: The front speaker size may be set to "Large" or "Small"
- Center Speaker: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Subwoofer: You may select "Yes" or "No"
- Surround Speakers A: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers A may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers A may be set to "Small" or "None". Note: If you have selected "None" as the surround speakers A size, the surround speakers B and surround back speakers are automatically set to "None".
- Surround Speakers B: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers B may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers B may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Surround Back Speakers: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size and either the surround speakers A or surround speakers B are set to "Large", the surround back speakers may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround back speakers may be set to "Small" or "None". If the surround back speaker size is set to "Small", you may set the number of surround back speakers to 1 or 2.
- Delay Time: The delay time for each channel can be adjusted from 0 to 60 feet in 1 foot increments
- Test Tone: The test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel
CINEMA EQ. (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS Surround and Wide Screen modes.
D.COMP. (Dynamic Range Compression): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, the Dynamic Range Compression allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack (but with reduced dynamic range). This only works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS. You can select one of the four settings: "OFF", "LOW", "MID" (middle), or "HI" (high).
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
Dialogue Normalization: The dialogue normalization function is activated automatically when playing Dolby Digital program sources. Dialogue normalization is a basic function of Dolby Digital, which automatically normalizes the dialog level (standard level) of the signals that are recorded at different levels for different program sources, such as DVD, DTV and other future formats that will use Dolby Digital.
Component Video Switching: In addition to composite and S-Video switching, this unit can switch between two component video sources. There are 2 component video inputs and 1 component video output; each input and output has jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR". This feature allows you to connect, and switch between, high resolution video sources equipped with component video outputs.
Last Function Memory: This unit is equipped with a last function memory, which stores the input and output setting conditions as they were immediately before the power was switched off.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is also equipped with a back-up memory. This function provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and with the power cord disconnected.
Multibrand/Learning Remote: In addition to being pre-programmed to control many brands of audio/video components, this remote also has learning capability, allowing it to be customized for any installation. An LCD screen at the top of the remote displays the current source.
System Call: Up to 8 System Call settings (a programmed series of 29 sequentially-issued commands) can be stored.
Illumination: When the Backlight button is pressed, the power, off, menu, display, return, setup, cursor, and source buttons, along with the LCD, will illuminate in blue for approximately 5 seconds.
- Headphone jack: Standard headphone jack
- FM Antenna input: Slip-on F-connection
- AM Antenna inputs: Spring clips
- Phono Input: Stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
- CD Input: Stereo RCA jacks
- CD-R/Tape Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- DVD Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR")
- VDP Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- TV/DBS Input: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR")
- VCR 1 Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- VCR 2/V. Aux Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack, and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "PB/CB" and "PR/CR")
- EXT. Input: 8 RCA jacks that may be used for 7.1 multi-channel input from an outboard decoder (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, surround back left, surround back right, and subwoofer)
- Multi-Zone Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- Preamp Outputs: 8 RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, surround back left, surround back right, and subwoofer)
- Coaxial Digital Input: Standard coaxial digital input (this digital connection may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- 3 Optical Digital Inputs: 3 Toslink digital inputs, each with a plastic protective plug (these digital connections may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- Optical Digital Output 3: Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective plug (outputs the signal coming into the optical digital 3 input)
- Speakers: Binding post outputs for front, center, surround A, surround B, and surround back/multi-zone speakers (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs)
- AC Outlets: 2 switched AC outlets, maximum total 120W 1Amp
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.