Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Denon AVR-5800 A/V Receiver
THX Ultra, THX Surround EX, DTS-ES 6.1, and Dolby® Digital
Item # 033AVR5800 | MFR # AVR-5800
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Denon AVR-5800 A/V Receiverby Crutchfield's Mike Colley
Behold the most powerful receiver Crutchfield has ever offered. With 170 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels that's 1,190 watts total! the AVR-5800 sets a very high standard when it comes to home theater clarity, versatility, and impact.
It's also extremely smart. Dual 32-bit SHARC processors handle THX Surround EX, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Digital, and Pro Logic decoding. The AVR-5800 also offers all the Lucasfilm Home THX Cinema enhancements required for THX Ultra certification. Its dual processors also provide Widescreen 7.1 processing, which delivers 7.1-channel sound with stereo, matrix-encoded, and discrete 5.1 sources, and Denon's renowned AL 24 (ALPHA 24) processing, which uses sophisticated interpolation to produce analog smoothness from stereo digital audio (for sources with resolutions between 16-bit and 24-bit).
These are all part of Denon's DDSC-Digital (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit) configuration, which treats your surround audio to a series of optimized, single-function circuit blocks, ensuring impeccable quality. Another key element is the D/A conversion section, which uses 16 high-resolution 192kHz/24-bit DACs (2 per channel) in differential configuration. The result? Simply stunning sound!
The AVR-5800 is a shining example of Denon's forward-thinking approach. It has an RS-232C port for enabling software upgrades. And for high-speed connectivity with compatible components down the road, the AVR-5800's back panel and circuitry are ready for the addition of an IEEE 1394 port. As for expandability, just feast your eyes on the back panel. Two sets of 7.1-channel inputs, 10 digital inputs (including AC-3 RF for Dolby Digital laserdisc fans), 8 S-video inputs, 3 component video inputs, true 192kHz/24-bit digital input capability and that's just for starters (see "Key Features" below).
This Denon will accompany you into new A/V frontiers. But you'll always be in cool control thanks to its intuitive touchscreen LCD remote. The included charger/base station supplies RF/IR flexibility.Details:
- 170 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- dual 32-bit SHARC processors for surround decoding (THX Surround EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo:6, and ALPHA 24 processing
- 16 total 192kHz/24-bit DACs (2 per channel)
- true 192kHz/24-bit digital input capability
- two 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- digital inputs: 6 optical, 3 coaxial, 1 AC-3 RF
- 4 audio and 8 A/V (including 8 S-video) inputs
- IEEE 1394 upgradable
- learning/multibrand, backlit touchscreen LCD remote with USB port and macros; RF capable using the included charger/base station
- THX Ultra
- Pure Direct mode
- RS-232C port
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out (50MHz bandwidth)
- 2 optical digital outputs
- 3-room/3-source output
- dual surround mode speaker selection
- Widescreen 7.1 mode
- 7.1-channel preamp output
- on-screen display
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 17-1/8"W x 8-1/2"H x 19-3/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RC-8000 Wireless remote control
- 4 "AA" batteries
- RC-8001ST Charger base station
- AA-25 AC adapter for the charger base station (7.5V/300mA/Tip +/10' cord)
- Nickel cadmium rechargeable battery pack (70mA/8h)
- 10' Connection cord (mono mini-jack on each end)
- 2 Plastic battery holders
- 1 Self-adhesive foam pad
- 6' AC power cord
- 1 FM Antenna adapter
- 1 AM loop antenna
- 1 FM wire antenna
- AV Surround Receiver Operating Instructions
- Remote Control Unit Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Charger Base Station Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Warranty sheet
- "Denon Service Network" sheet
- "Additional functions of the remote control unit (RC-8000)" sheet
Features and Specs
THX Ultra Certification: This unit has been built and tested to conform to the high standards of sound and build quality set by the THX Ultra Certification program. This receiver is equipped with a "THX Cinema" mode that may be used to process movie soundtracks so they are heard as the movie directors intended them to be heard. All THX Select Certified receivers include Re-Equalization, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Bass Management, Bass Peak Level Manager, and Loudspeaker Position Time Synchronization (delay).
THX Surround EX 7.1 Decoding: THX Surround EX soundtracks have an additional surround channel signal matrix encoded into the standard surround channel signals of a Dolby Digital soundtrack. When a THX Surround EX soundtrack is decoded and played through a 7.1 channel system, you will hear more detailed imaging behind you; this feature brings more depth, spacious ambience and sound localization to the home theater experience than ever before. Although THX Surround EX decoding produces the best results with soundtracks that have been recorded with THX Surround EX processing, the THX Surround EX 7.1 Decoding feature can be used, with varying results, with all 5.1 channel Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG soundtracks. THX Surround EX 7.1 playback requires a total of 4 surround speakers; one pair of surround speakers should be placed to the sides of the listening position, and the other pair of surround speakers are supposed to be placed behind the listening position. The receiver is equipped with amplification for all 4 surround speakers.DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES includes the Surround Back (SB; also known as Surround Rear) channel in addition to the existing 5.1 surround channels of front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and LFE, enabling surround playback from a total of 6.1 channels. Due to differences in surround signal recording methods, DTS-ES offers twotypes of signal formats:
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1:Discrete 6.1 utilizes the digital discrete method to record all 6.1 channels, including the newly-added surround back channel, as independent channels. Since the surround left, surround right, and surround back channels are fully independent, sound can be freely designed and sound images can move freely and rapidly amongst each other within a background sound that envelopes the room from all sides.
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1:In the Matrix 6.1 format, the surround back channel is matrix encoded in advance to the surround left and surround right channels, and when a matrix decoder plays them back, theyare decoded into separate surround left, surround right, and surround back channels.
DTS Neo:6 Surround:Featuring the newest DTS matrix processing technology, the DTS Neo:6 function provides up to 6.1-channel surround sound from conventional stereo sources, and can be used with virtually any 2-channel stereo source, analog or digital. Two modes are provided: Neo:6 Cinema is optimized for surround encoded stereo movie soundtracks, while Neo:6 Music mode is optimized for superior surround sound with stereo music sources.
Chassis Construction:The AVR-5800 incorporates a chassis design in which the digital, analog audio, video, and control circuits are each isolated in their own blocks. These circuits are also individually shieldedfrom the effects of transformer coils in the power section. The total chassis design preserves the purity of the audio signal from input to output to give your home theater a clean yet powerful sound, alive with all the details of the original recording.
Wide Range Circuit Topology: Front end and power amplifier circuitry is designed with flat frequency response that extends to 100 kHz, perfectly suited for next-generation wide range audio media such as SACD and DVD-Audio.
192kHz/24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converters: Two linear PCM 192kHz/24-bit DACs are included for each channel, giving the AVR-5800 a total of 16. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
ALPHA 24 Processing:The AVR-5800 includes Denon's renowned 24-bit ALPHA processing technology that reproduces digital signals in a waveform with the smoothness of analog signals. This technology thoroughly suppresses annoying quantization distortion and faithfully reproduces the delicate musical details of low-level signals. ALPHA 24 processing works in 2-channel Stereo, Direct, Pure Direct modes.
DDSC-Digital (Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit): DDSC-Digital is a circuit configuration specially designed by Denon in which all the elements of the surround processor are optimized by the use of selected high performance discrete elements, including separate A/D and D/A conversion, with sophisticated dual DSP surround decoding.
Dual 32-bit SHARC Processors: Featuring the latest Analog Devices 32-bit floating point SHARC DSP devices, the AVR-5800 provides superb resolution and widest dynamic range of Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM audio signals.
Fan Cooling: The receiver is fan cooled for reliable operation at high output levels. The fan is temperature and volume level sensitive, to minimize or prevent audible fan noise.
On-Screen Display (OSD): An OSD can be displayed on your television for easy system setup. The OSD is sent through the Monitor 1 S-video and composite video monitor outputs; the OSD is not sent through the component video output, the Monitor 2 S-video output or the Monitor 2 composite video monitor output.
7.1 Multi-Channel Inputs: The AVR-5800 is equipped with two 7.1-channel inputs to accommodate present and future multi-channel formats, such as DVD-Audio.
RS-232C Port:The AVR-5800 includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as Crestron, Panja and others, and provides a software/firmware upgrade pathway.
IEEE 1394 Expansion: The back panel and circuitry are ready for the addition of an IEEE 1394 port. IEEE 1394, also known as "i.LINK", is a high speed digital interface that may be used for plug and play connection of compatible digital components.
Multi-Zone Output:The AVR-5800 provides a Multi- Zone Output function and a Select function that let you output different sources to multiple zones. Sources can be selected for output to up to 2 additional zones, in addition to the main room. Multi-roomZone 1 can have variable pre-amp output along with a composite video feed, and Multi-room Zone 2 can have a fixed stereo audio pre-amp output. The AVR-5800's Power Amplifier Assign function lets you assign the 2 Surround Back (SB L/R) amplifier channels to instead drive the Multi-room Zone 2 powered speaker outputs, with 170 Watts per channel power output capability, while still providing 5 full amplifier channels to drive the main and surround speakers in the home theater room.
Dual Surround Speaker Mode: The AVR-5800 provides the ability to connect two different sets of surround speakers, and place them in the appropriate locations in your home theater room, so that you can enjoy both movie soundtracks and music listening, with optimum results and no compromise.
Surround Modes: In addition to straight Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS playback, you can choose from the following modes:
- Home THX Cinema: This mode applies processing (Re-Equalization, Adaptive Decorrelation, Timbre Matching, etc.) to recreate the exact sound the movie director intended you to hear
- THX Surround EX: THX Surround EX soundtracks have an additional surround channel signal matrix encoded into the standard surround channel signals of a Dolby Digital soundtrack. By adding a surround back channel, this mode gives you more detailed imaging behind you, allowing for 360-degree surround sound effects.
- DTS ES Discrete 6.1 and DTS ES Matrix 6.1: DTS ES Matrix 6.1 performs matrix decoding to create a rear center speaker. DTS ES Discrete 6.1 features digital discrete recording of all channels including the surround back channel.
- DTS NEO:6:Allows you to choose Neo:6 Cinema mode, which is optimized for surround encoded stereo movie soundtracks, or Neo:6 Music mode, which is optimized for superior surround sound with stereo music sources.
- Wide Screen:Select this to achieve an atmosphere like that of a movie theater with a large screen. In this mode, all signal sources are played in the 7.1-channel mode, including Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital 5.1-channel sources. Effects simulating the multi- surround speakers of movie theaters are added to the surround channels.
- Super Stadium:Select this when watching baseball or soccer programs to achieve a sound as if you were actually at the stadium. This mode provides the longest reverberation signals.
- Rock Arena: Use this mode to achieve the feeling of a live concert in an arena with reflected sounds coming from all directions
- Jazz Club:This mode creates the sound field of a live house with a low ceiling and hard walls. This mode gives jazz a very vivid realism.
- Classic Concert: Select this for the sound of a concert hall rich in reverberations
- Mono Movie: Select this when watching monaural movies for a greater sense of expansion
- Matrix:Select this to emphasize the sense of expansion for music sources recorded in stereo
- 5Ch/7Ch Stereo:The front left channel signals are output to the surround and surround back signal left channels, the front right channel signals are output to the surround and surround back signal right channels, and the in-phase component of the left and right channels is output to the center channel. Use this mode to enjoy stereo sound.
Personal Memory Plus: The Personal Memory Plus function automatically memorizes the surround modes and input modes selected for the different input sources. When an input source is selected, the modes stored in memory for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings and playback level balance for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Pure Direct Mode:In addition to surround sound playback, the AVR-5800 lets you enjoy pure 2-channel stereo sound as well through its Pure Direct mode. In Pure Direct mode, power to the video circuitry and the front panel display is turned off, and during analog input, power to the digital circuitry is also automatically turned off. Furthermore, during 2-channel linear PCM input, the D/A converter section is re-configured to 8 DAC dual-differential operation (4 DAC channels for each audio channel) to provide optimum D/A conversion of 2-channel PCM sound sources, such as CD with the highest transparency and widest dynamic range.
Bass Management and Speaker Setup: Various speaker size settings are available to ensure that small speakers do not receive full-range signals and to tell the receiver where to send signals.
- Front Speakers: The front speaker size may be set to "Large" or "Small"
- Center Speaker: If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the center speaker may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Subwoofer: You may select "Yes" or "No"
- Surround Speakers A:If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers A may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers A may be set to "Small" or "None". Note: If you have selected "None" as the surround speakers A size, the surround speakers B and surround back speakers are automatically set to "None".
- Surround Speakers B:If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers B may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround speakers B may be set to "Small" or "None".
- Surround Back Speakers:If you have selected "Large" as the front speaker size and either the surround speakers A or surround speakers B are set to "Large", the surround back speakers may be set to "Large", "Small" or "None". If you have selected "Small" as the front speaker size, the surround back speakers may be set to "Small" or "None". If the surround back speaker size is set to "Small", you may set the number of surround back speakers to 1 or 2.
- Delay Time: The delay time for each channel can be adjusted from 0 to 60 feet in 1 foot increments
- Test Tone: The test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel
- Bass Peak Level: The bass peak level may be set to prevent distortion and possible damage to your subwoofer
Re-Equalization: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home because film soundtracks are designed to be played back in large movie theaters using very different professional equipment. Re-Equalization restores the correct tonal balance for watching a movie soundtrack in a small home environment.
Timbre Matching: The human ear changes our perception of a sound depending on the direction from which the sound is coming. In a movie theater, there is an array of surround speakers so that the surround information is all around you. In a home theater, only two speakers located to the side of your head are used. The Timbre Matching feature filters the information going to the surround speakers so that they more closely match the tonal characteristics of the sound coming from the front speakers. This ensures seamless panning between the front and surround speakers.
Adaptive Decorrelation: In a movie theater, a large number of surround speakers help create an enveloping surround sound experience, while in a home theater there are usually only two speakers. This can make the surround speakers sound like headphones that lack spaciousness. The surround sounds will also collapse into the closest speaker as you move away from the middle seating position. Adaptive Decorrelation slightly changes one surround channel's time and phase relationship with respect to the other surround channel. This expands the listening position and creates, with only two speakers, the same spacious surround experience as in a movie theater.
CINEMA EQ. (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS Surround and Wide Screen modes.
D.COMP. (Dynamic Range Compression): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, the Dynamic Range Compression allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack (but with reduced dynamic range). This only works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS. You can select one of the four settings: "OFF", "LOW", "MID" (middle), or "HI" (high).
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
Dialogue Normalization: The dialogue normalization function is activated automatically when playing Dolby Digital program sources. Dialogue normalization is a basic function of Dolby Digital, which automatically normalizes the dialog level (standard level) of the signals that are recorded at different levels for different program sources, such as DVD, DTV and other future formats that will use Dolby Digital.
Component Video Switching: In addition to composite and S-Video switching, this unit can switch between three component video sources. There are 3 component video inputs and 1 component video output; each input and output has gold-plated jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR". This feature allows you to connect, and switch between, high resolution video sources equipped with component video outputs.
Last Function Memory: This unit is equipped with a last function memory, which stores the input and output setting conditions as they were immediately before the power was switched off.
Back-Up Memory: The unit is also equipped with a back-up memory. This function provides approximately one week of memory storage when the main unit's power switch is off and with the power cord disconnected.
Multibrand/Learning RF Remote: The RC-8000 has controls for an entire home theater system as icons on a backlit LCD touch screen. You can navigate and make selections by touching the screen directly. In addition to being pre-programmed to control many brands of audio/video source components and TVs, this remote also has learning capability, allowing it to be customized for any installation. When the RC-8000 is used in combination with the RC-8001ST charger base station, the RC-8000 can communicate with the receiver via a powerful RF (radio frequency) signal, allowing you to operate your system from another room.Note:You can choose from 2 different RF bands, and use dedicated ID codes to distinguish among multiple RC-8001ST charger base stations.
Editing Functions, for Easy Customization: You can program the RC-8000 to control up to 23 different components. You can provide each button with a unique label indicating the command you have assigned it. You can change the assignments at any time, or add new buttons and delete old ones, to make the RC-8000 work exactly the way you want it to.
Independent Buttons: Independent buttons have been provided on the main unit for frequently-used operations, such as volume control, channel selection, muting, and backlighting activation.
System Call:Up to 20 System Call settings (a programmed series of 10 sequentially-issued commands) can be stored. The System Call programs you have stored can be easily be checked on the LCD panel.
User Backup:This function lets you back up your customized settings in the controller's built-in flash memory, to protect your customized settings and learned commands from memory loss due to battery exhaustion.
USB Support:The RC-8000 includes a USB port that lets you connect it to a PC where you can back up settings or do editing work.
Auto Power Off: To conserve battery power, the Auto Power Off function automatically blanks the LCD screen after a certain period of time elapses. This time period can also be easily customized, as can the backlighting time.
RC-8001ST Charger Base Station: The RC-8001ST is equipped with a wired data output terminal as well as an IR emitter terminal. This wired data output can be connected directly to the AVR-5800 or to the data input port of a Denon RC-616 IR re-transmitter. In addition, you can connect an IR supplemental emitter, such as Denon's RC-618, or other IR emitter types. The RC-8001ST also provides a battery charging function. The Ni-Cad battery pack that comes with the RC-8001ST is inserted into the RC-8000, and you can charge the batteries in the RC-8000 by simply placing it onto the RC-8001ST charger base station. The excessive charge prevention function prolongs the Ni-Cad battery life, even if the RC-8000 is left in the charger base station for an extended period. The charger base station has the following dimensions: W=5.146", H=1.685" (8.294" with the antenna extended), D=6.303".
- Headphone jack: Standard gold-plated headphone jack (behind panel)
- FM Antenna input: Threaded female F-connection
- AM Antenna inputs: Thumb screws
- Phono Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks with ground screw
- CD Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- DVD Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- VDP Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- TV Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- DBS/SAT Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and component video jacks (3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR")
- V. Aux Input: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- VCR 1 Input/Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- VCR 2 Input/Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- VCR 3 Input/Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jacks and S-video jacks
- CD-R/Tape 1 Input/Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- MD/Tape 2 Input/Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- Monitor Output 1: Gold-plated RCA composite video jack and S-video jack (both provide an on-screen display signal)
- Monitor Output 2: Gold-plated RCA composite video jack and S-video jack (neither jack provides an on-screen display signal)
- Component Monitor Output: 3 RCA jacks labeled "Y", "CB" and "CR" (does not provides an on-screen display signal)
- Multi-Zone 1 Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- Multi-Zone 2 Output: Gold-plated stereo RCA jacks
- EXT. Input 1: 8 gold-plated RCA jacks that may be used for 7.1 multi-channel input from an outboard decoder (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, effect left, effect right, and subwoofer)
- EXT. Input 2: 8 gold-plated RCA jacks that may be used for 7.1 multi-channel input from an outboard decoder (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, effect left, effect right, and subwoofer)
- Preamp Outputs: 8 gold-plated RCA jacks (front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, effect/surround back left, effect/surround back right, and subwoofer)
- Dolby Digital RF Input: Gold-plated RCA input for connection to an AC-3 RF output of a laser disc player
- 3 Coaxial Digital Inputs:3 gold-plated coaxial digital inputs (these digital connections may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- 6 Optical Digital Inputs:6 Toslink digital inputs, each with a plastic protective plug (these digital connections may be assigned to any input, except the Phono input)
- Optical Digital Output 5: Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective plug (outputs the signal coming into the optical digital 5 input)
- Optical Digital Output 6: Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective plug (outputs the signal coming into the optical digital 6 input)
- RS 232 Port: For connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as Crestron, Panja and others, and provides a software/firmware upgrade pathway
- Power Amp Output: Connects to a compatible Denon power amplifier
- Room to Room Input: Mini-jack for use with optional Denon RC-616 IR re-transmitter
- Room to Room Output: Mini-jack for future use
- Speakers:Binding post outputs for front, center, surround A, surround B, effect/surround back, and multi-zone 2 speakers (not 5-way, because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs and they are positioned too far apart to be used with dual banana plugs)
- AC In: AC jack for supplied AC power cord
- AC Outlets: 3 switched AC outlets, maximum total 120W 1Amp
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.