Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Internet-ready universal 3D Blu-ray player
Item # 033DBP1611 | MFR # DBP1611UD
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Denon DBP-1611UD by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
More than just a Blu-ray player
Audiophiles and videophiles with large disc collections now have a "go-to" player with the DBP-1611UD. It'll play just about every disc format ever made, including DVD-Audio and SACDs. Plus, you'll be able to enjoy the latest in Hollywood entertainment: 3D video. This player also features unusually solid construction, with carefully-chosen video circuitry that delivers beautifully detailed images from Blu-ray movies and standard DVDs alike.
Compelling sound with both movies and music
The DBP-1611UD can play the richly detailed Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks found on today's Blu-ray discs, or send the audio bitstream out to your compatible home theater receiver for processing. Either way, these master-quality soundtracks will enhance your Blu-ray movie experience with incredibly realistic surround sound effects. The '1611UD is a very capable music player, too. Its high-quality digital-to-analog converters reveal all the details in your music. And the player's Pure Direct Mode disables the video circuits when you're just playing music to eliminate that source of potential noise, so you just hear clear, pure sound.
Entertainment options that don't come on a disc
Use this player's Ethernet port to connect to your home network, and you can enjoy the BD-Live and BonusView features found on a lot of today's Blu-ray movies. This extra material can range from commentaries and behind-the-scenes footage to online games, some of which you can download and store for later on the player's 1GB built-in memory.
Connect to your home network for PC streaming, plus Netflix® movies
Your entertainment options aren't limited to just discs, either. The DBP-1611UD's Internet streaming lets you play movies, TV shows, and video clips over your broadband connection from Netflix®. It'll even upconvert the video up to 1080p to better match your TV's high-def screen. Or use the player to connect to your compatible computer, and stream videos and photos to your living room. You can also listen to your digital music collection played through your living room speakers at your next house party. Want to check out your friend's music, pictures, or videos, too? Have them load up a thumb drive and plug it into the '1611UD's front USB port to enjoy them together.
This DVD really rocks! It has a sturdy construction, delivers a great sound and image. Matches perfect with my Denon reciever.
F. O, Camuy, PR
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray Player
- RC-1151 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 76" AC power cord
- 57" A/V Cable (RCA composite video and stereo audio on both ends)
- Operating Instructions (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty information
- Denon service network information
- YouTube update note (update expected in March 2011)
- 100th Anniversary Thank You note
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, DVDs, and CDs
- initial production models require a firmware update via the player's Internet connection for 3D Blu-ray playback
- Internet-ready — plays TV shows, movies, and more from Netflix® (membership required for Netflix)
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs — includes 1GB of built-in memory for downloadable content
- Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converters
- Independent Block Construction isolates electronic circuits for faithful playback of audio and video tracks
- Direct Mechanical Ground Construction suppresses vibration and ensures high-quality sound and video
- 3D Digital Noise Reduction for optimum picture quality
- Pure Direct mode for enhanced sound quality
- backlit remote control included
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD and streamed video (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- HDMI version 1.4a for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, High-Bit-Rate Audio, and HDMI-CEC control
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- outputs high-resolution audio for decoding in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo and coaxial digital
- front USB port for additional memory or for audio and video file playback
- Ethernet port for BD-Live and video streaming functionality, plus possible future upgrades
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 4-3/16"H x 14-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Denon DBP-1611UD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p/1080i/1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Multi-Disc Compatible: The Denon DBP-1611UD is compatible with Blu-ray, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, and SACD discs; including BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW. It's also compatible with Kodak Picture CDs.
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 40 mbps. Blu-ray Discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080/24p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Discs deliver an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and uncompressed multi-channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The DBP-1611UD is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet, via the player's Ethernet port.
AVCHD Playback: The DBP-1611UD will play home videos recorded in AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs. AVCHD can also be played from a USB flash memory device connected to the front panel port.
DivX File Playback: The DBP-1611UD supports playback of DivX (up to DivX Plus HD) files recorded on DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs, USB flash memory, or streamed from the connected network. This unit supports DivX file sizes up to 2 GB.
JPEG Playback: The player will also playback JPEG still image files written to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW discs, USB flash memory, or streamed from the connected network; image resolutions from 32 x 32 pixels to 4,096 x 4,096 pixels are supported. The maximum file size is 12 MB. The name of the folder and file can be displayed, up to 32 characters. Images can be played as a slide-show and can be rotated as needed.
Kodak Picture CD: This unit can also play JPEG files stored on a Kodak Picture CD; you can enjoy pictures on the television by playing back the CD.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Denon Blu-ray player will play MP3, WMA, AAC, and LPCM audio files written to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW discs, USB flash memory, or streamed from the connected network. The name of the folder and file can be displayed, up to 32 characters. The following file specifications are supported:
- MP3: sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz and bit rates of 64-320 kbps
- WMA: sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz and bit rates of 48-192 kbps
- AAC: sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz and constant bit rates of 16-320 kbps
- LPCM: two-channel, 16-bit, and sampling frequencies of 44.1 or 48 kHz
Construction: The Denon DBP-1611UD features Direct Mechanical Ground Construction to minimize vibration and independent block construction for thorough protection from mutual interference caused by electric or magnetic fields between audio and video signals.
Video Outputs: The Denon DBP-1611UD Blu-ray disc player features two high-definition video outputs (HDMI, Component) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- HDMI Output: The Denon DBP-1611UD features a single HDMI output for HD audio and video signal transmission. The HDMI port is version 1.4a with Deep Color and x.v. color support; video resolutions include 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p. There are also Source Direct (source resolution is not changed) and Auto (outputs the highest resolution compatible with the connected display) settings.
- Component Video Output: The component video output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i video resolutions. When a 1080/24p signal is output from the HDMI port, there is no component video output.
- Composite Video Output: The DVD player features one Composite video output which supports 480i.
Scaling: The video signal can be scaled, up to 1080p (60 or 24 Hz), for output from the HDMI port. Video can also be scaled and output via component video (up to 1080i), but copyright protected material (most pre-recorded DVDs) cannot be scaled for output through component video.
3D Ready: The Denon DBP-1611UD lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
Note: The initial production of DBP-1611UDs is not 3D compatible, but a firmware update (from Denon website) is available that will add the 3D feature.
Picture Control: You can adjust the picture quality of the player's video output and save up to 5 picture setting presets. The following picture settings are adjustable:
- 3DNR: reduce the overall noise level in the entire picture; 0 to +3
- BNR: reduce the block noise generated by digital processing; 0 to +3
- MNR: reduce the noise around the outline of an object generated by digital processing; 0 to +3
- Contrast: the difference between the bright and dark parts of the picture; adjust from -6 to +6
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness of the picture; 0 to +12
- Gamma Correction: detailed adjustments of the picture's brightness; -4 to +4
- Sharpness: adjusts the sharpness of the picture for the high frequency range; -6 to +6
- Hue: adjust the green and red color balance; -6 to +6
- Chroma Level: adjusts the color density; -6 to +6
- Setup Level: adjusts the black areas of the image; 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE
TV Aspect: This function of the Blu-ray player lets you set a picture size according to the aspect ratio of your connected television; choose from the following:
- 16:9 Squeeze Auto: when playing 4:3 images, the picture is displayed in the center of the 16:9 screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio
- Wide: select when a wide-screen TV is connected; discs recorded in wide-screen format are played over the entire screen
- 4:3 Pan&Scan: plays a disc recorded in wide screen format on a 4:3 TV with the displayed picture centered on the action, with the sides of the picture cut off
- 4:3 Letter Box: plays a wide screen signal on a 4:3 TV with black strips at the top and bottom
Marker: You can mark reference points on a Blu-ray disc or DVD to view at a later time, allowing you to assign a specific point on a title or track to be called back later. The markers are erased when you turn the power off or eject the disc.
Angle: Some BD and DVD discs contain scenes shot simultaneously from various angles. This player allows you to select from these different camera angles.
Audiophile Sound Quality: For optimum audio quality, the DBP-1611UD is equipped with the latest specification HDMI output, along with coaxial digital output, and an audiophile stereo output that features premium Burr-Brown PCM-1781 24 bit/192 kHz D/A converters. For multi-channel SACD compatibility, the DBP-1611UD provides stereo mix down along with bass management via the analog stereo.
Audio Outputs: The Denon DBP-1611UD Blu-ray disc player features coaxial digital audio output and one analog audio output (stereo RCA).
- Digital Audio Output: This unit features a coaxial digital audio connection; it can be connected to an A/V receiver, amplifier, surround decoder (Dolby Digital, DTS), digital recording device, etc.
- 2-Channel Audio Outputs: The DBP-1611UD features a stereo audio output for connecting to a stereo analog input on a TV or receiver. Even when the source audio is multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD), these jacks will output a downmixed 2-channel signal.
Audio Formats: The Blu-ray player's HDMI and coaxial digital outputs are capable of delivering Multi-channel Surround, Multi-channel LPCM, and 2-channel audio. The DBP-1611UD supports the following Audio Formats depending on the unit's HDMI or digital output setting, disc type used and audio recording format of disc:
|Disc Type||Audio Recording Format||HDMI Out Setting||Coaxial Digital Setting|
|BD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi PCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||Multi PCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||Multi PCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi PCM||DTS||2-ch LPCM|
|DTS-HD||DTS-HD||Multi PCM||DTS||2-ch LPCM|
|LPCM||Multi LPCM||Multi PCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|AVCHD||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi LPCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|PCM||Multi LPCM||Multi LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|DVD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi LPCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi LPCM||DTS||2-ch LPCM|
|LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|DVD-Audio||LPCM, PPCM||Multi LPCM||Multi LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|SACD||Multi Area||DSD||Multi LPCM||No Output||No Output|
|Stereo Area||DSD||2-ch LPCM||No Output||No Output|
|CD Layer||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|DivX||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi LPCM||Dolby Digital||2-ch LPCM|
|MP3/MP2||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|CD-Audio/MP3/WMA/AAC||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM||2-ch LPCM|
|DTS-CD||DTS||2-ch LPCM||DTS||2-ch LPCM|
Pure Direct: There are two Pure Direct options (three counting Off):
- Pure Direct 1: turns off the video circuitry, digital outputs, and front panel display
- Pure Direct 2: turns off the video circuitry and digital outputs
DRC: Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) compresses the dynamic range of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks, useful at night or other times when you cannot play back at high volume; the high volume sounds are reduced and the low volume sounds are increased.
USB Port: The front panel USB port can be used to increase available memory for Bonus View or BD-Live, or to play audio, photo, and video files; compatible formats include MP3 (64-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), AAC (16-320 kbps), LPCM (16-bits), JPEG (32 x 32 to 4,0962 x 4,0962 pixles), DivX (2GB), MPEG (1/2/4), WMV (9/9AP), and AVI (1/2/4). Your USB memory device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. The Denon Blu-ray player can recognize up to 999 folders and 999 files. The unit will display artist name and song titles (up to 60 characters).
Ethernet Jack: The rear-panel RJ-45 Ethernet port is used to connect to your Network for audio/video streaming and to the internet for Netflix streaming, firmware updates, and to access BD-Live.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view additional content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing. The necessary 1GB memory is built-in; more memory can be added via the front panel USB port.
BD-Live Ready: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more using a broadband internet connection. The Denon Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the internet via your home network. The necessary 1GB memory is built-in; more memory can be added via the front panel USB port.
Audio/Video Network Streaming: Via the Ethernet (LAN) port, the DBP-1611UD connects to your multimedia home PC and lets you watch your favorite videos (DivX/MPEG/AVI/WMV), listen to your favorite audio tracks (MP/WMA/AAC/LPCM), and even view your favorite photos (JPEG) on your connected TV.
Netflix: The DBP-1611UD supports the Netflix streaming service, with which you can enjoy select movies and TV shows streamed to the player via your broadband internet connection and LAN. The Blu-ray player supports 2CH audio streaming from Netflix.
Note: A subscription to Netflix that includes the streaming service is required and titles are added to your Netflix Instant Queue using a computer.
YouTube Videos: Available by firmware update only from Denon website (August 17, 2011).
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Denon Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 13.7 seconds. It takes approximately 34.4 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit, which prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the levels you set, and it will require your to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back. The Parental Control feature consists of an 8-level DVD and 254 BD rating system protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Wall Paper: You can select a Blue, Black, Gray, or the Denon Logo background when the player is in stop mode.
Screen Saver: The screen saver function activates when stop or pause status continues for approximately three minutes.
Auto Power-Off: If the unit is in stop mode for approximately 30 minutes, it will automatically switch to standby mode.
IR Wireless Remote Control with Glow Buttons: The Denon DBP-1611UD comes with an IR wireless remote control to operate this unit only. The remote's buttons glow-in-the-dark for easy operation at night. To avoid other Denon BD players responding to the remote signal of this unit, you can change the Remote ID Code (set to 1 or 2 on both the remote and player, default is 1 for both).
HDMI Control: When a TV supporting HDMI control is connected to the DBP-1611UD via an HDMI cable, it is possible to use the television's remote control to perform such operations as: power on/off, function switching, and volume adjustment.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.