Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Item # 033DHTS514 | MFR # DHT-S514
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Denon DHT-S514 by Crutchfield's David Brown
True home theater, the easy way
Denon is known for making great home theater receivers that deliver immersive sound with your surround speakers. But if you want your system to have a more streamlined look, check out Denon's DHT-S514 sound bar and wireless subwoofer. It's an easy way to seriously upgrade your TV's sound, along with enjoying music benefits as well. It's easy to set up, easy to control, and offers 175 watts of power to deliver movies, TV shows, and tunes with outstanding detail, rumbling bass, and sound that reaches out and grabs you.
Dial in your sound with listening modes
Sound bars aren't just for enhancing your movie watching. That's why Denon equipped the DHT-S514 with three separate listening modes. Surround Movie delivers simulated surround sound with dynamic punch for soundtracks and effects that envelop you as you watch. Dialogue Enhance is great for watching TV shows that keep you scrambling for the remote to hear what the characters are saying. And music mode optimizes the sound for music listening. Speaking of music...
Enjoy music wirelessly with Bluetooth
The DHT-S514's built-in Bluetooth capability means you can enjoy endless hours of music without ever having to touch a disc. Stream music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the sound bar for rich, full-range playback. It doesn't matter whether your music is stored on your device or streamed from the cloud or music services like Spotify® or Pandora® Internet Radio. With a world of music at your fingertips, Bluetooth is the easiest way to enjoy it throughout your room.
HDMI and other connections for simple setup
If you've ever looked closely at the HDMI inputs on your TV (doesn't everybody?), you may have noticed the letters "ARC" next to one of them. This stands for Audio Return Channel, which that your TV can not only receive audio and video signals from a connected device, but also send audio back to that device. This functionality means you can connect the DHT-S514 to your TV with a single HDMI cable while receiving digital audio from your TV's tuner, and built-in "smart" content like Netflix. Don't have an ARC-compatible TV? No problem. There are other connection options that will cover most TVs.
Easy control with one remote
Control is always at your fingertips with the DHT-S514. The included remote can learn your TV's basic commands. An HDMI connection to your TV ensures your TV's remote will automatically power on the system. Worried the bar will block the tiny remote receiver on the bottom of your TV? Connect the included IR repeater so you can maintain full remote functionality.
Anonymous, Raleigh, NC
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 58" DC cord)
- 38" AC power cord
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1187)
- CR2025 3V battery
- 39" HDMI cable
- 40" Optical digital cable
- 42" Stereo minijack cable
- 7" Female stereo minijack-to-male RCA adapter cable
- 39" IR blaster cable
- 2 Pair of soundbar feet
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber-feet (for Sub)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Setup Guide
- Mounting template
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Warranty sheet
- Extended protection Plan offer
- two 1/2" tweeters and two 2" x 5" oval midrange drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding
- three listening modes: Movie Surround, Dialogue Enhancer, and Music
- Night mode reduces large dynamic changes in volume for late-night listening
- Denon's Virtual Surround processing offers simulated surround sound
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- top-panel buttons for power, adjusting volume, selecting source, choosing a listening mode, and activating Bluetooth
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- HDMI input/output with Audio Return Channel for single-cable connection to compatible TVs
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" features via HDMI
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs (optical cable included)
- 3.5mm minijack input (cable and miniplug-to-RCA adapter included)
- 39-9/16"W x 3-1/4"H x 3-1/16"D
- weight: 5 lbs.
- two 5-1/4" woofers
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- can rest horizontally or vertically
- rotary volume control on rear panel
- 6-13/16"W x 12-5/16"H x 14-11/16"D
- weight: 13 lbs.
- total system power: 175 watts
- frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz
- remote control included
- HDMI cable
- optical cable
- 3.5mm miniplug cable with miniplug-to-RCA adapter
- feet for placing the sound bar on a TV stand
- IR repeater in case the sound bar blocks your TV's remote receiver
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Denon DHT-S514 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.5" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||2" x 5" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Driver||5.25" Cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||20|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||49|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-1/4H x 39-9/16W x 3-1/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||12-5/16H x 6-13/16W x 14-11/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13 lbs|
Home Theater Soundbar Speaker System: As today's flat-panel TVs get thinner and thinner, so does their sound quality, and the DHT-S514 features a host of high-performance components to deliver rich, enveloping wide range sound. Denon's DHT-S514 home theater soundbar speaker system will transform your flat-panel TV into a home entertainment system which will envelop you in rich, room-filling sound; delivering deep bass from its wireless subwoofer and clear mids and detailed highs from its multi-driver high-fidelity soundbar. Simple to set up and easy to use, the DHT-S514 lets you enjoy powerful, dynamic audio from your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and music.
175-Watts (Peak) System Power: Both the soundbar and the subwoofer feature advanced digital audio amplification that delivers crystal clear sound along with wide dynamic range, as well as providing high energy efficiency and operational stability for long life. Featuring 175-watts (Peak) of total system power, the DHT-S514 soundbar and wireless subwoofer together deliver a true high-fidelity sound.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar features dual 2"x5" precision drivers that reproduce the upper bass and midrange audio, delivering clear audio especially in the vocal range. There are also dual 0.5" dome tweeters that reproduce the entire treble range, with response extending to 20 kHz. The soundbar's four drivers are powered by a built-in 10W (RMS) x 2ch amplifier. The soundbar speaker features a side-firing port on opposite sides of the cabinet for greater efficiency.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The matching wireless subwoofer features dual 5.25" woofers powered by a built-in 49W (RMS) amplifier and a rear-firing port that work in tandem to deliver the authoritative deep bass found in today's movie and music soundtracks for distortion-free bass at any listening level. You can adjust the subwoofer volume independently from the system volume.
Dolby Digital/DTS Decoding w/ Virtual Surround Sound: Your favorite movies and music will come alive with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, and you can enjoy enveloping surround sound thanks to Denon's exclusive Virtual Surround processing, which uses advanced psychoacoustic algorithms that simulate the surround sound of a multi-channel home theater speaker system. Denon's Virtual Surround offers several Listening modes to tailor the system to your content.
- Movie Modes: The Movie Surround Sound mode provides an expansive and enveloping soundstage. The Dialog Enhancer mode provides increased dialog clarity especially with complex movie soundtracks.
- Music Modes: Music mode delivers a dynamic and enthralling sound quality improvement with your favorite audio tracks. You can also choose to listen in pure stereo mode, with no additional acoustic enhancement.
- Night Mode: The DHT-S514 also features Night Mode which lets you enjoy high fidelity sound without annoying jumps in volume, so you can watch your favorite programs late into the night without disturbing other family members. The Night Mode can be activated in stereo mode, as well as with any of the three available custom sound modes.
Note: Do not listen to this system and your TV's built-in speakers simultaneously. Make sure to turn of your televisions speakers. If your TV does not let you turn the speakers off, then mute the audio from the TV's speakers.
Digital & Analog Inputs (including HDMI): Denon's DHT-S514 home theater soundbar speaker system offers a variety of digital & analog inputs to connect to your TV and AV gear; including HDMI, optical/coaxial digital, and analog stereo minijack. All inputs are all selected by the television button on DHT-S514's front-panel or remote, but which is active is determined by auto-priority. If only one input is receiving a signal, that input will play. If more than one input is receiving a signal, the order of priority is HDMI, Digital Optical, Digital Coaxial, and Analog.
- HDMI: Many TVs come with one of the HDMI inputs equipped with Audio Return Channel (ARC), which lets you listen to audio from a source device (such as a cable or satellite box) as well as being able to listen to audio from the TV's internal tuner or from a smart TV's built-in content streaming capabilities. Simply connect the DHT-S514's HDMI ARC output to your TV with the supplied HDMI cable, and you can enjoy audio from your set-top box as well as enjoying audio from the TV. In addition, the system offers a HDMI input for directly connecting an external AV component such as your Blu-ray player or Cable/Satellite receiver. The HDMI input will output the audio signal through the soundbar and send the video signal to the soundbar's HDMI ARC jack and your connected TV.
- Optical & Coaxial: For TVs without ARC via HDMI, you can connect the DHT-S514 via one of the two available digital audio connections; both optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital audio inputs are provided. These digital inputs support 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS.
- Minijack: Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog minijack (3.5mm) input jack that lets you connect the DHT-S514 to your TV without ARC or a digital output, or to a portable music player. This connection only supports 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output and HDMI ARC terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box). That's why we recommend that in addition to the HDMI ARC connection from the soundbar speaker to your TV, you should also run separate digital audio cables (optical, coaxial, or HDMI) from your satellite/cable box and Blu-ray player to the soundbar speaker for best sound performance.
Bluetooth (2.1+EDR) Audio Streaming: You can also stream music wirelessly right to the DHT-S514 from a compatible Bluetooth-enabled device; such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer (with Bluetooth A2DP capability). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps on your mobile device (like iPhone, Android, and Blackberry). Denon also included aptX which allows for high quality music playback through Bluetooth. aptX provides CD-quality audio streaming from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device (on newer Android devices). You will continue to use your mobile device to navigate your music and to view song/artist information.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon DHT-S514.
Remote Control: The DHT-S514 comes with its own remote control, and it also has the ability to work with your existing TV's remote control so you can control the soundbar and your TV with just one remote. For compatibility with the broadest range of TV types and styles, the DHT-S514 features the ability to re-transmit IR codes via the included IR repeater, which lets you properly position the soundbar in front of your TV and yet still easily control both the DHT-S514 and the TV.
Mounting Options: Denon's DHT-S514 home theater soundbar speaker system offers a variety of mounting options for the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub.
- Soundbar Placement: The soundbar of the DHT-S514 should be placed as close as possible to the television screen. It should be centered left-to-right with the screen, and ideally no more than a few inches above or below. The most common location is below the screen. Sometimes this location can be difficult, because the base of the TV gets in the way. The DHT-S514 has two sets of feet (0.75" & 1.25" high) that raise the soundbar speaker off the shelf, for a more stable and attractive installation when used with this type of television. If you prefer wall mounting, the soundbar features built-in keyholes that let you easily mount the soundbar directly to the wall (template included).
- Subwoofer Placement: You can place the wireless powered subwoofer practically anywhere in the room; within a wireless range of 8 meters. For the best sound, place the subwoofer near a wall or corner, within 6 meters of the soundbar speaker, and on the same side of the room as the soundbar. This compact subwoofer can be placed horizontally or vertically for the widest range of installation options. Attach the supplied non-slip stickers to the subwoofer for hardwood and tile flooring. The port on the back of the subwoofer cabinet should be unobstructed.
Auto Power Modes: DHT-S514 will automatically "wake-up" whenever any of its wired inputs receives an audio signal. Simply turning on your television will also turn on DHT-S514. For Bluetooth playback you will need to turn on DHT-S514 manually using the remote control or top-panel power button. The system will also automatically turn off it it does not sense an audio signal for approximately five minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
5 questions already asked
3 answers I want connect this soundbar to my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver. I have many sources, so I would like to connect everything to the receiver then HDMI out from receiver to Denon DHT-S514 soundbar for sound, then HDMI out from soundbar to Projector for video. Would this work? I could simply go for LCR speaker set-up, however, I already have full system in my cave and my wife hates seeing speakers, she thinks wooden speakers destroy interior atmosphere lol. Anyway, help would be really appreciated. [ Aquido Sep 15, 2015 ]
I don't know if the sound bar to projector will work, that's a question for Crutchfield or Denon. [ James Sep 18, 2015 ]
I have no experience with the kind of routing of sound the prospective customer is referencing. My setup is to use the Denon soundbar to present improved output from the SONY UHD4K TV instead of using the TV existing speakers. My setup in the room also allows me to route the TV sound directly to the stereo preamp input and the output directly into the two mains and surround speakers. Terry [ TERRY J Sep 18, 2015 ]
Hi: Sorry don't know. We only use the Denon sound bar for our Sony 4K 55 inch TV since the TV has such bad sound from the speakers within the TV. Our home theater is completely separate center channel (NHT center) connected to an Arcam AVR-600 with NHT 3.3's for left and right channels. I do like the sound of the Denon sound bar. [ PAUL Sep 16, 2015 ]
Greg, I don't think you would be able to do that. Maybe you should ask the TV manufacturer about that. The sound bar will mound easily to the wall though. [ John Jan 29, 2015 ]
No. It comes equipped for wall mounting or placing on a flat, level surface. [ Mark Jan 29, 2015 ]
No. It's just free standing. You won't be disappointed with the sound. [ RoseMary Jan 29, 2015 ]
With the height of this, it must block the bottom of the tv or at least the remote, no? [ mitch Feb 23, 2015 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Dec 11, 2014 ] Staff
No. Just turn the soundbar on and hit the bluetooth button and if your device is paired it will sync up. [ Wendy Nov 25, 2014 ]
No you can power up and connect via Bluetooth without the tv on. [ SCOTT Nov 25, 2014 ]
Mr S, No the tv does not have to be on. Get your Bluetooth going, turn the sound bar on with the remote it came with and press the Bluetooth button on the sound bar. [ John Nov 25, 2014 ]
Nope. Just the sound bar needs to be on. [ Jeff Nov 25, 2014 ]
No [ JOSH Nov 25, 2014 ]
No. I use it all the time to just play music without the tv on. [ WILLIAM S Nov 25, 2014 ]
Can you hooka Dvd blue ray player to the sound bar? [ Pat Aug 23, 2014 ]
No, ours is on at least 8 or 9 hours every day and it's just slightly warm. No problems. [ Emil Aug 19, 2014 ]
I have not found that to be the case. I now have two of the Denon DHT-S514 and they are both cool as a cucumber. [ John Aug 19, 2014 ]