Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
3D Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi®
Item # 052BDX5300 | MFR # BDX5300
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Toshiba BDX5300 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Blu-ray comes to life
Thought the dazzling high-definition picture of Blu-ray couldn't get any more lifelike? Then check out Toshiba's 3D Blu-ray player and experience the stunning realism of 3D movies at home. Ride along with your favorite action hero in high-speed car chases, or immerse yourself in the fantasy world or your favorite animated feature. With the ever expanding amount of 3D Blu-ray titles, make sure your 3D TV's capabilities aren't going to waste.
No 3D? No problem
Maybe you don't own a 3D TV. Yet. You won't hold onto that old TV forever, so why not go ahead and make sure your Blu-ray player is ready for 3D when you are? Either way, you can enjoy the crystal-clear picture of standard Blu-ray discs right now. The BDX5300 will even sharpen up those old DVDs through video upconversion. Or exponentially expand your movie collection with online streaming from Netflix®, VUDU®, CinemaNow® and other providers. The BDX5300 allows you to stream wirelessly with built-in Wi-Fi® or through a wired Ethernet connection.
Wish there was an easier way to share digital photos, videos and music on your TV? Load them onto a thumb drive and plug it into this player's front-panel USB port for instant access. You can even push content from DLNA-certified tablets, smartphones and PCs.
With so many options, you'll never be left wondering why there's nothing to watch.
Note: Sorry, we can only ship Toshiba products to the 49 continental United States and Washington D.C.; we can't ship them to Hawaii or U.S. Territories. (Solamente es posible enviar productos de la Toshiba dentro los 49 estados unidos continentales y Washington D.C.)
- plays 3D and standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from streaming services like Netflix®, YouTube®, and Pandora® Internet radio (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- stream photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC, tablet, or smartphone
- BD-Live-ready for downloadable bonus content with compatible discs (requires USB storage device)
- remote control
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and DTS Master Audio Essential
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- HDMI audio/video output
- coaxial digital audio output
- front-panel USB port lets you share media from a compatible camera, thumb drive or external hard drive
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- 16-15/16"W x 1-3/8"H x 8-5/8"D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- Remote control (SE-R-0418)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- User's Guide
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix,Hulu,Vudu,CinemaNo|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Toshiba BDX5300 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW, DTS-CD|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDX5300 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Toshiba may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection.
Note: The tested Toshiba BDX5300 Blu-ray player contained firmware version 1.15 (as of 8/7/2012 ). Visit Support.Toshiba.com for the latest firmware update information.
AVCHD Playback: The Toshiba BDX5300 will play home videos recorded in AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD-R/RW discs.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.
MP3/WMA Playback: The BDX5300 supports MP3/WMA audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
HDMI Output: The Toshiba BDX5300 Blu-ray player features a single HDMI output for HD audio and video signal transmission. The HDMI port is version 1.4a with Deep Color, x.v. color, 3D, and CEC support. Video resolutions include 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p.
Note: This player does not feature any analog video outputs, such as component, composite, or S-video.
1080/24p: Movies are typically filmed at 24 frames per second and some Blu-ray Discs use the same frame rate. If your TV will accept a 1080/24p signal, the BDX5300 can pass the signal in its native form, without converting the video.
DVD Up-conversion: When connected to your TV using the HDMI output, the BDX5300 scales the output of a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The unit also supports 480p and 480i output if your television is not HD-compatible.
3D Ready: The Toshiba BDX5300 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D glasses, and a high-speed HDMI 1.4 cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
Deep Color: Deep Color allows more accurate color reproduction with deep color depth. The BDX5300 must be connected to a Deep Color compatible TV via HDMI for this feature to function.
x.v.Color: The BDX5300 supports x.v.Color; meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs, such as AVCHD discs (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format).
TV Aspect Ratio: You can select which aspect ratio the player outputs according to your television's aspect ratio.
- 16:9 Normal: Select when a 16:9 wide TV is connected; the 4:3 picture is displayed with an original 4:3 aspect ratio, with black bars appearing at the left and right sides.
- 16:9 Full: Select when a 16:9 wide TV is connected; the 4:3 picture is adjusted horizontally (in a linear proportion) to fill the entire screen.
- 4:3 Letter Box: Select when a standard 4:3 TV is connected; displays theatrical images with masking bars above and below the picture.
- 4:3 Pan Scan: Select when a standard 4:3 TV is connected; displays pictures cropped to fill your TV screen. Both sides of the picture are cut off.
Video Adjustments: The Toshiba Blu-ray players offers Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, and Sharpness video adjustments.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The Toshiba BDX5300 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, & DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output (not digital coax).
Digital Audio Output: The BDX5300 is equipped with a coaxial digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
Note: There are no analog audio outputs.
Dolby DRC (Dynamic Range Control): Dynamic Range Control means that you can allow the Blu-ray disc player to make the loud parts of a movie's audio track quieter than they would be in the theater, without making the dialogue of the actors any quieter. The player applies appropriate compression to make low-level content more intelligible and prevent dramatic passages from getting too loud. This would be useful, for instance, when you want to watch a movie in the evening when others might be sleeping. This function is only compatible with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.
Network Connection (wired/wireless): The Toshiba BDX5300 Blu-ray disc player features an Ethernet port (RJ-45) and built-in WiFi (IEEE802.11a/b/g/n) to connect to your wired or wireless home network. Either network connection gives you access to your PC's movie/photo/music files and select online entertainment apps.
Note: The Blu-ray player's built-in WiFi is based on the IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n specifications and operates on a 2.4 or 5.0GHz frequency range. Its supports WEP64/128, TKIP, AES, WPA/WPA2-PSK, and WPS security formats.
Online Entertainment Apps: The Blu-ray player's Ethernet port or built-in Wi-Fi lets you connect to Toshiba's entertainment apps online service through your home network connection. The select entertainment apps includes a variety of online applications and services. The Toshiba BDX5300 offers the following internet-based content (as of 8/7/2012).
|Video||CinemaNow||CinemaNow is a digital entertainment service that offers instant access to an extensive online library of premium video content for rental or purchase, including new release movies and TV shows, with no subscription required. Rentals starting at $3.99.|
|Netflix 5.1||With more than 20 million members in the United States and Canada, Netflix is the world's leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. For $7.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet.|
|Hulu Plus||Hulu Plus lets you watch current hit TV shows, classic series, and acclaimed movies anytime in HD for $7.99/month with limited advertising.|
|Vudu HD Movies||VUDU has the most HD titles on demand and more are added every week. VUDU delivers a cinema-like experience at home with HDX, featuring stunning 1080p True Digital and rich Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound. VUDU is available without a monthly subscription or contract. There are no late fees, plus thousands of movies are available to rent for just $2 for two nights.|
|YouTube||YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.|
|Music||Pandora||Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Photo||Picasa||Google's free, integrated photo-sharing where you can view all of your photos from your account.|
|Other||Vudu Apps||Vudu Apps provides
you with access to a wide range of Internet services and
applications including streaming video, music on demand, photo
browsing, social networking, news, weather, and more. Vudu Apps
offers the following online applications.
Note: Some online services may not be available in your area. Online content may change without notice.
MediaShare (DLNA Certified): The Toshiba Blu-ray player lets you play movie, photo, and music files on your PC by connecting the player to your home network via a wired (LAN) or wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. The Toshiba BDX5300 features an Ethernet (LAN) port and includes built-in Wi-Fi for connecting the unit to your home network. You can use this home network connection to access movie (AVCHD/H.264), still-image (JPEG), and music (MP3/WMA) files stored on your DLNA certified server, such as a Windows PC and play them through the Blu-ray player.
Media Player: Media Player allows you to view photo (JPEG) and video (AVCHD/2.64) files, as well as listen to music (MP3/WMA) files stored on a USB mass storage class (MSC) device using the Blu-ray player's front-panel USB (type-A) port. Your photo, movie, and music files must be formatted in FAT16/FAT32.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Toshiba Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network & features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's front-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Toshiba BDX5300 Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 13.1 seconds. It takes approximately 24.7 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Toshiba BDX5300 provides an OSD via its HDMI output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, or Spanish. The unit also offers a single-line front-panel display.
Front-Panel Controls: The BDX5300 features front-panel, touch-sensitive controls (Power, Eject, Play, Stop) for easy operation.
Playback Controls: The Toshiba BDX5300 offers various convenient playback controls to make using the Blu-ray player more enjoyable.
- Direct Selection: You can access a specific location on a disc by entering in the time code.
- Memory Playback: You can combine your favorite titles, chapters, or tracks and play them in the order you determine. You can program up to 15 selections into the memory.
- Bookmark: You can set up to 12 bookmarks on a DVD. The bookmark number, the current title and chapter, the elapsed time of the current tile appears on the screen.
- Variable Speed (FW/RW): You can fast forward and reverse playback of discs at various speeds (2, 4, 8, 16, 32x) and resume playback from the location you stopped playback.
- Frame-by-Frame: You can advance the picture one frame at a time in Pause mode. The sound is muted during frame-by-frame playback.
- Slow Motion: Your playback a scene in slow motion at variable speed (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2x).
- Repeat: You can repeat the playback of a Title, Chapter, Folder, File, Track, or Disc.
- Zoom: During normal, slow, or still-image playback you can zoom in-an-out of the picture (2, 3, 4, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4x)
- Camera Angle: Some Blu-ray Video and DVD-video contain scenes that have been shot simultaneously from various angles
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit, which prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the levels you set, and it will require your to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back. The Parental Control feature consists of an 8-level disc rating system protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
ENERGY STAR Compliant: The Toshiba Blu-ray player meets Energy Star standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use & standby.
Auto Power Off: When you leave the unit in stop mode for more than 5 minutes, the screen saver is activated if you set the Screen Saver to On mode. At the end of 25 minutes without any user interaction, the unit automatically switches off.
IR Remote Control: The Toshiba BDX5300 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of this Blu-ray player only. The remote has a dedicated "Netflix" button for instant access to your Netflix account.
Remote App: The Toshiba A/V Remote App, for Android tablets and smartphones, includes text input, mouse control, and touchpad control that allows you to use your Android tablet or smartphone as a touchscreen remote controller for the Toshiba Blu-ray player. This remote app is available for compatible tablets and smartphones powered by Android (Honeycomb or higher). You can download these apps through the Android Market.
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control: This player supports HDMI CEC, which allows integrated system control over HDMI. Some functions of this player can be controlled by your HDMI CEC-compatible TV's remote control when this unit and your compatible TV are connected through a HDMI 1.3-up connection. You can control Blu-ray player playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip Previous/Next, and Stop) from your HDMI CEC TV's remote control. The Blu-ray player can also be set to automatically power On/Off with your HDMI connected TV.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.