Nikon COOLSHOT 80i VR
Long-range laser rangefinder for golfers
Our take on the Nikon COOLSHOT 80i VR by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Meet Nikon's top-of-the-line rangefinder
When you hit the links, you want every advantage available at your disposal. Nikon's COOLSHOT 80i VR laser rangefinder combines incline/decline measurements with their revolutionary Vibration Reduction technology to help you step up your game on hilly courses while virtually eliminating errors caused by your hand movements. You'll stand out on the course for more than your loud attire with this handy portable caddy by your side.
Vibration Reduction delivers quick, highly precise measurements
Nikon's Vibration Reduction function is always engaged when you're using the COOLSHOT 80i VR, so you'll always have the benefit of a reliably stable image reading. The irradiated laser aligns at the same time as the image, for fast, accurate results. You'll get actual distances – along with horizontal distances and heights to the next pin – within a half-second, and you can get single or continuous measurements for up to 8 seconds. The COOLSHOT 80i VR's lens uses a multilayer coating to ensure bright, clear images for up to 1,000 yards, while Nikon's First Target Priority Mode quickly finds your target when viewing the course against a wooded background.
See the whole picture, including slopes
ID (incline/decline) Technology displays the slope adjusted distance (horizontal distance ± height), which helps you dial things in on those hilly courses. With the slope adjusted distance reading, you'll have a clearer idea of how to hit the ball or to choose your next club, rather than taking a potentially disastrous shot that's too hard or too soft based on incomplete information.
Stay LOCKED ON
Nikon's LOCKED ON technology gives you the distance to the closest subject, which is handy when looking at a flag against a wooded background. You'll see a "LOCKED ON" image in the viewfinder as you're aiming, letting you know the distance shown is for the flag rather than the woods in the distance behind it.
The fog- and rain-proof COOLSHOT 80i VR includes a replaceable lithium CR2 battery.
- laser rangefinder for golf courses
- carrying case, wrist strap, and lithium CR2 battery included
- 6x monocular with multilayer coating
- results are displayed on an internal LCD panel
- measures actual distance, horizontal distances, height, and slope adjusted distance (horizontal distance ± height)
- Vibration Reduction technology reduces hand movement effects up to 80%
- displays distance increments between every 0.2 m/yd to every 1 m/yd, depending on type of distance measured and proximity
- rainproof (JIS/IEC protection class 4 equivalent not designed for use underwater)
- adjustable diopter for glasses wearers
- LOCKED ON shows distance to closest subject of overlapping targets
- measures from 8 to 1,000 yards
- 6x magnification
- objective diameter: 21mm
- eye relief: 18.0mm
- exit pupil: 3.5mm
- 1-15/16"W x 3"H x 3-15/16"D
- 7.1 ounces (excluding battery)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Laser rangefinder (black)
- CR2 Lithium battery (3V)
- Wrist strap
- Carrying case
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty sheet
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Nikon Coolshot 80i VR is the world's first laser rangefinder with Vibration Reduction technology for blur-free and accurate slope-adjusted distance measurements up to 1000 yards. The unit is compact and lightweight, with a durable rainproof finish to give it a non-slip grip. It employs a 6x monocular optical system in order to view and aim at the target. The Coolshot 80i VR is powered by a CR2 Lithium battery (included), and comes with a handy storage case that can be worn on the belt or attached to your bag. The Coolshot 80i VR is USGA-approved (ID Technology must be disabled), and is allowed for use in tournament play.
One Button Operation: The Coolshot 80i VR laser rangefinder gives you fast and simple measurements when you press the top-mounted power button. The unit emits invisible, eye-safe infrared energy pulses (EN/IEC Class 1M Laser) that reflect off of the selected target back to its optical receiver. The distance is instantly calculated and displayed on an internal LCD panel for approximately 8 seconds. The unit has First Target Priority, which displays the distance to the nearest target among multiple results obtained with a single measurement.
Vibration Reduction (VR): The Coolshot 80i VR utilizes Nikon's Optical Vibration Reduction technology to reduce vibrations caused by hand movement by approximately 80%. Inadvertent hand movements can be caused by cold, wind, physical exertion, or nerves. Vibration Reduction stabilizes the view of your target, and simultaneously aligns the image with the activated laser beam. This gives you faster, more accurate distance measurements so you can more quickly prepare for your next shot.
ID Technology: Nikon's all-new Golf Mode uses exclusive ID (Incline/Decline) Technology to deliver the slope-adjusted distance for any uphill or downhill shot. ID Technology uses a distance-plus-height or distance-minus-height formula to compensate for the angle of the shot, giving you the confidence to select the right club to hit the ball at the proper trajectory. You can choose from four display modes by pressing the Mode button:
- Golf Mode: Actual distance is displayed at the top while the slope-adjusted distance is shown at the bottom.
- Actual Distance Mode: The actual distance is shown at the bottom. No other readings are displayed.
- Actual Distance and Height Mode: The actual distance is displayed at the bottom and the height is shown at the top.
- Horizontal Distance and Height Mode: The horizontal distance is displayed at the bottom and the height is shown at the top.
Note: The ID Technology feature can be disabled to become USGA compliant for tournament use.
HYPER READ: The Coolshot 80i VR is equipped with HYPER READ technology, which delivers extremely quick measurements, regardless of the distance. This allows you to get quick readings to various points on your approach. Distance readings up to 700 yards/meters are accurate to +/-0.75 yds/m, while readings over 700 yards/meters are accurate to +/-1.25 yds/m.
Diopter Ring: The viewfinder has a diopter ring for adjusting the rangefinder to your eyesight. A diopter index indicates "+" and "-" positions.
Eye Relief: The Coolshot 80i VR's eyepiece provides a long 18mm eye relief for easy viewing.
Distance Measurements: You can switch the units of measurement from yards to meters by pressing the side-mounted Mode button.
Continuous Measurement: You can measure the distance of different targets during the 8 seconds the laser is emitting. The distances of each object are displayed as you aim at them. For example, using continuous measurement, you can measure the distance to a tree in the foreground, and to the flag in the background.
Weatherproof Design: The Coolshot 80i VR has a weatherproof design so you can use it in wet conditions. It has an IPX4 waterproof rating, and will suffer no damage if submerged up to 1 meter for up to 10 minutes. It is also fogproof.
Power Requirements: The Coolshot 80i VR operates on a single 3-volt CR-2 Lithium battery (included). Battery status is displayed in the viewfinder during normal operations. A new CR-2 battery has enough energy to perform continuous measurements approximately 3300 times.
- Model: Coolshot 80i VR
- Magnification: 6x
- Objective Lens Diameter: 21mm
- Angular Field of View (real): 7.5°
- Measuring Range: 8-1000 yards (7.5-915 meters)
- Increment Reading:
- Actual Distance (upper): Every 1.0 yds/m
- Actual Distance (lower): Every 0.5 yds/m
- Horizontal Distance/Slope-adjusted Distance (lower): Every 0.2 yds/m
- Height (upper): Every 0.2 yds/m (shorter than 100 yds/m); every 1 yd/m (100 yds/m and over)
- Exit Pupil: 3.5mm
- Eye Relief: 18.0mm
- Diopter Adjustment: +/-4m-1
- Dimensions: Width 1.907", Height 2.962", Depth 3.873"
- Weight: 7.1 ounces (7.5 oz. w/battery)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.