Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/4E ED lens
is a short telephoto prime lens. Because of its wide f/1.4 aperture, it is ideal for capturing
portraits or indoor sports, especially in available light. This lens is optimized for use on Nikon
FX-format cameras with full-frame image sensors. When mounted on DX-format
(APS-C) cameras, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 158mm.
Lens Construction: The lens is made of 14 elements in 9
groups, including 3 ED lens elements, and lens elements
with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings. The
special elements have the following attributes:
- Extra-low Dispersion Glass (ED): The lens is
constructed with Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements developed by Nikon
and used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum
correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Nano Crystal Coating (N): Nano-crystal coating is an
anti-reflective coating that eliminates internal reflections, ghosting, and
flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens focuses by shifting
the internal lens group, thus the physical lens length does not change
Electromagnetic Diaphragm: This "E-type" lens features an
electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide highly
accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control during auto exposure
during continuous shooting. Conventional D/G-type lenses have mechanical linkage
levers to control the diaphragm blades.
Focusing Modes: The lens has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that
lets you choose the way the lens focuses. If you select Manual Focus on the
camera, you can focus manually using the lens focusing ring and the camera's
electronic rangefinder. When the camera is switched to the AF (auto focus) mode,
you can apply one of three lens focusing modes:
- Manual Priority (M/A): The lens will auto focus, but can be
manually overridden by rotating the lens focus ring.
- Manual (M): Even though the camera is set to auto focus, the lens
will focus manually with the electronic rangefinder when you rotate the
HB-79 Lens Hood: The AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/4E ED
includes a bayonet lens hood (HB-79) that blocks stray light from entering the
lens, causing glare or ghosting. When attached, the hood adds approximately
2-1/4" to the overall length of the lens. The hood can be reversed and mounted on
the lens when not in use.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet
- Focal Length: 105mm
- Filter Diameter: 82mm screw type
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 9 groups (including
3 ED lens elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal
or fluorine coatings)
- Image Stabilization: No
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.3' (1 meter) from focal
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) System
with autofocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/4 - f/16
- Angle of View:
- Nikon FX-format cameras: 23° 10'
- Nikon DX-format cameras: 15° 20'
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.717" Length 4.527" (5.11"
with lens caps)
- Weight: 2 pounds 2.8 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty
on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no
charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.