Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR
Super telephoto zoom lens with built-in 1.4X teleconverter for Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR - An array of convenient lens barrel switches for different shooting situations
Item # 05420071 | MFR # 20071
Out of Stock
Ship date unknown
$12,399.95 Earn up to 12,400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Nikon goes the distance with this fresh lens design
I got some serious lens envy when I saw Nikon was coming out with this 180-400mm super telephoto zoom. As an amateur enthusiast, I can't justify the expense...yet. But when I think about what this lens could do in combination with my D500, my heart starts to flutter. It's definitely something to aspire to.
Nikon's first built-in teleconverter
All you lucky pros out there shooting sports, wildlife, or events are going to appreciate this lens on multiple levels. First of all, it has a built-in 1.4X teleconverter to extend its reach even further. Let that sink in for a moment. Activating this teleconverter is as easy as flipping a switch with your right hand. You don't need to release your grip on the camera or take your eye away from what you're shooting. I don't have to tell you why that's just plain awesome. Plus, since it's integrated with the lens, light is transmitted to the sensor more efficiently, so you'll get sharper images than you might get with an add-on teleconverter.
Some quick math for you: if you're using this lens with a full-frame FX format camera, the built-in teleconverter extends your reach to 560mm. And if you're using it on a DX model, it goes all the way up to an 840mm equivalent.
Sharp images at longer focal lengths
Nikon cleverly incorporated internal focusing, a fluorite lens element, and magnesium alloy barrel into this lens's design, resulting in a lens that's relatively lightweight for its class (it weighs in at 7.7 pounds). So it's not impractical to shoot with it handheld. (I saw a photo of a pro photographer using it this way — major envy!) This lens incorporates Nikon's latest Vibration Reduction (VR) design for up to four stops of shutter speed increase, even when using the built-in teleconverter.
This new VR system starts up when you power on your camera, and includes two flavors of vibration reduction in addition to the standard mode. Tripod Mode minimizes the effect of constant subtle ground vibrations, and Sports Mode is optimal for fast action and panning.
Keep up with the action
Nikon promises you'll get blazing-fast subject acquisition and locked-on tracking with this lens — and you'll get peak performance if you use it with a camera that features Nikon's 153-point autofocus system (D5, D500, or D850). After a firmware update (available in March, 2018) to the aforementioned cameras, the sensors at the outer area of the image frame can be used as cross-type sensors, which will drastically improve the time it takes to lock focus when a subject enters the frame.
- AF-S 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR super telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with FX- and DX-format Nikon DSLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 180-400mm with full-frame (FX-format) cameras
- 270-600mm with APS-C (DX-format) cameras
- built-in 1.4X teleconverter increases effective focal length of lens by 40%
- built-in Vibration Reduction with Sport and Tripod modes enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- autofocus can be overridden manually, with no time lag
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- protective fluorine coating allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium-alloy design
- minimum focus distance: 6.6'
- maximum aperture: f/4 (f/5.6 when using built-in teleconverter)
- minimum aperture: f/32 (f/45 when using built-in teleconverter)
- constant f/4 maximum aperture for consistent performance throughout zoom range
- lens construction: 27 elements in 19 groups
- 8 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for better sharpness and contrast
- 1 lightweight fluorite lens element for improved balance and handling
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- accepts 40.5mm drop-in filters
- includes front and rear lens caps, slip-on hood, slip-in filter holder, 40.5mm Neutral Color filter, lens strap, and nylon case
- lens is 5-1/16" in diameter, 14-5/16" long
- weight: 7.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Frequently Compared With
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR
Super telephoto zoom lens with built-in 1.4X teleconverter for Nikon DSLR cameras$12,399.95
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Zoom lens for DX format Nikon DSLR cameras
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Telephoto zoom lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L
L series wide-angle tilt shift prime lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras$1,899.99