Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Lens
Wide-angle/standard lens for compatible Nikon SLR cameras
Item # 05428F18 | MFR # 2203
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Lensby Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Lenses like the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Lens hold a special place in the hearts of professional photographers everywhere. That's because they produce results like no other lens. When a lens only has one focal length, the care spent on the optics translates into pure, crystal-clear image quality. This lens, placed on a full-frame camera, will get your wide group shots under control, while staying sharp from edge to edge. Placed on a DX-format camera, it's closer to a "normal" field of view lens, seeing the world much as your eye sees it (only with a bit wider of an angle to play with).
The light-hungry, wide f/1.8 aperture is up to most of your low-light challenges as well. Superb Nikkor optics will ensure that your shots won't be marred by ghosting or flaring.
- AF-S 28mm f/1.8G lens
- wide-angle/"normal" light-gathering lens accommodates full-frame and DX-format Nikon SLRs
- 42mm effective focal length for APS-C sensor cameras
- ideal for group shots and HD video
- minimum focus distance: 10.2 inches
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 11 elements in 9 groups
- f/1.8 aperture allows for isolation of your subject in space
- nano-crystal and super-integrated coatings enhance contrast and reduce flare and ghosting
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- lens is in 2-15/16" in diameter, 3-1/2" long
- weight: 11.6 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood, front and rear lens cap, and semi-soft lens pouch
What's in the Box:
- AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8 G lens
- LC-67 Lens cap (67mm) installed
- LF-4 F-mount rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-64 Lens hood
- CL-0915 Flexible lens pouch
- User's Manual
- Nikon Extended Warranty offer
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G lens is a fixed focal length lens with a natural wide angle view, and a fast f/1.8 aperture. It is ideal for general close-ups, delicate flowers, detailed collectibles, copy photography, portraits, and landscapes.
Rear Focusing System: This lens utilizes the Rear Focusing System, a system in which only the rear lens group moves during focusing, thus eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens. This allows for faster focusing.
Super Integrated Coating: Nikon's Super Integrated Coating enhances light transmission efficiency and offers superior color consistency and reduced lens flare.
Nano Crystal Coating: The lens has a Nano Crystal Coating, a coating that eliminates lens element reflections and reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 7-blade diaphragm.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-64 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-1/2" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Focal Length: 28mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 9.84" (0.82')
- Focusing Method: Rear Focusing System using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/16
- Lens Construction: 11 elements in 9 groups (including 2 aspherical lens elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal coatings)
- Angle of View:
- Film/FX-format: 75°
- DX-format: 53°
- IX240: 63°
- Dimensions: Diameter=2.825", Length=3.482" (4.097" w/caps)
- Weight: approximately 11.6 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.