Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Standard prime lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Our take on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Mount this fast 50mm Nikkor lens to your Nikon SLR camera and capture sharp, crystal-clear images. Its large maximum aperture of f/1.8 gathers lots of light to give you a bright view through your viewfinder, plus it means you can use faster shutter speeds to "freeze" moving subjects. This lens is also ideal for taking great-looking photos at twilight, or indoors without a flash — its 50mm focal length makes it an excellent choice for portraits and all-around picture taking. And its compact, lightweight design won't weigh you down during extended shooting sessions.
Not very sharp. But can't complain for the price.
What's in the Box:
- AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens
- LC-58 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-47 Lens hood
- CL-1013 Flexible lens pouch
- User's Manual (Eng/Fren/Span/ + 16 other languages)
- Warranty form
- Nikon Extended Warranty offer
- AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G standard lens
- compatible with Nikon digital and select autofocus film SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 50mm with full-frame (FX) sensor digital or 35mm film cameras
- 75mm with Nikon DX sensor cameras
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocusing
- ideal for portraiture, low-light, and everyday shooting
- aspherical lens element virtually eliminates coma and other aberrations even when shooting at the widest aperture setting
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC) enhances light transmission efficiency for superior color consistency and reduced flare
- full-time manual focus capability allows instant autofocus override with a twist of the focus ring
- minimum focus distance: 18 in.
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 7 elements in 6 groups
- diaphragm blades: 7 (rounded)
- filter/attachment size: 58mm
- lens is 2-7/8" in diameter, 2-7/16" long
- weight: 6.6 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- soft storage pouch
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens is a fixed focal length lens with a natural wide angle view, and a fast f/1.8 aperture. It has been optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the angle of view is reduced and equivalent to the focal length of approximately 75mm in FX/35mm format (see Specifications below). The lens is suitable for everyday shooting of landscapes, night scenes, interiors, weddings, photojournalism, and astro-photography.
Super Integrated Coating: Nikon's Super Integrated Coating enhances light transmission efficiency and offers superior color consistency and reduced lens flare.
Aspherical Lens Element: The lens has one aspherical lens element, which virtually eliminates coma and other aberrations, even at wide apertures.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 7-blade diaphragm.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-59 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-3/16" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 1.48' (0.45m)
- Focusing Method: AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to f/16
- Lens Construction: 7 elements in 6 groups with 1 aspherical lens element
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 47°
- DX Format: 31° 30'
- IX240 System: 38°
- Dimensions: Diameter=2.833", Length=2.389" (3" w/caps)
- Weight: approximately 6.6 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
It's sharp and inexpensive. [ Dirk808 May 31, 2017 ]
Always wanted a Nikon DSLR camera. I finally am able to afford one. [ Charles May 25, 2017 ]
Daughters birthday [ KRISTI J May 03, 2017 ]
Awesome [ WILLIAM May 03, 2017 ]
Probably the best value lens out there. [ Nick Mar 14, 2017 ]
Deven Told Me Too !!!!!! [ Mike Jan 16, 2017 ]
3 questions already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Yes, this lens will work with the following Nikon cameras including the D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, and D5100. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 11, 2014 ] Staff
Yes, the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm will be compatible with the D80. [ Krissy Feb 25, 2014 ] Staff
Yes it works on a D5200. However, it will not be 55mm it will be about a 65-70mm because of the APS-C sensor. You'll need a full frame Nikon for it to be 50mm. Takes great potrait photos and low light is good too. My wife loves it. [ JOHN Jan 06, 2014 ]
I have the D5100 & it works with that , so I'm sure it would work with the D5200. Here'sa great reference link as well. Nikon's website has a lens/camera compatability list as well for future reference. [ TONYA Jan 06, 2014 ]
YES! All AF-S lens work with D 5200. [ CHARLES Jan 06, 2014 ]
Yes, this lens was made specifically for the newer DSLRs in the Nikon line. The "G" designation means it does not have an external mechanical aperture ring. The aperture is set electronically by the camera body, even in manual mode.This lens cannot be used on older cameras, including Nikon film cameras. [ Evan Jan 06, 2014 ]