Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon 1 J2 with 10-30mm VR Lens
CX format hybrid camera with interchangeable lens capability (Silver)
Item # 054J227574 | MFR # 27574
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon 1 J2 with 10-30mm VR Lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Nikon has taken its first step in refining the Nikon 1 family of cameras with this offering, the Nikon 1 J2. Small, stylish, eminently portable, and sporting some of the best image quality results in its class, the J2 is a no-fuss pleasure to use. Whether you're at a wedding, a sprawling beach house, or hiking the Pacific Crest, the J2's advanced features and sleek form factor will combine to bring you one of the best memories-to-weight ratios you've probably ever experienced. That is to say not a lot to carry for a ton of photographic power in your pocket.
Your creative brain trust
The Nikon 1 J2 positively bristles with creative options. Expansive panoramic photos, simply by moving the camera side-to-side. Motion snapshot mode, which captures a 2-second HD-quality slow-motion clip and give it an ambient music bed of your choosing. Color isolation over a monochrome background, so you can make your son's baseball cap be the one red item in a black and white image. If you've ever wondered, "how do I make this look different or exciting," it's nice to know your camera has some great ideas.
Lightning fast auto-focus and fast continuous shooting come standard on the J2. What this means for you, bottom line? More keepers. Isn't that what we all want from our go-to camera? Intelligent auto modes deliver great results, right out of the box. And, should you want to explore the enhanced creative dimension of manual control, the J2's controls and dials are laid out logically, so that you can concentrate on the main thing finding the picture that encapsulates the moment you're in. Rest assured, the very high-resolution 921K-dot, 3-inch LCD will help you do just that.
Change your world view
This camera comes with a 10-30mm lens that will be a perfect companion for everyday shooting challenges and travel photography. The 3X zoom range will gather anything from a beach-side panorama to a moody candid portrait. Precision Nikkor optical construction means clean, crisp shots across the entire image, with a minimum of color fringing or blurriness. And, because this camera is compatible with the expanding family of 1 Nikkor lenses, you can broaden your world view by exploring other lens choices down the road.
What's in the Box:
- Nikon 1 J2 digital camera body (silver) with attached 1-mount body cap
- Silver 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Black LC-N40.5 lens cap (attached to lens)
- Black 1-Mount rear lens cap (attached to lens)
- EN-EL20 Lithium-Ion battery pack (7.2 Volts/1020 mAh) with attached plastic terminal cap
- MH-27 Battery charger
- Black adjustable neck strap
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- ViewNX2 Short Movie Creator software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Warranty Programs Form
- Note regarding the lens barrel button
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording
- Nikon CX CMOS image sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm)
- includes Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27-81mm)
- very high-resolution 3" 921k-dot LCD screen with anti-glare coating for easy viewing outdoors
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080i @ 60 frames per second, or 1080p @ 30 fps)
- EXPEED 3 image processor means fast data transfer rates for superior continuous shooting
- simultaneously capture full resolution pictures and HD video
- Smart Photo Selector chooses the best shots from a continuous series
- single-point autofocus has 135 areas; auto-area autofocus has 41 areas
- maintain razor-sharp autofocus while shooting 10 continuous frames per second
- built-in, pop-up flash
- wide ISO range for colorful, dynamic low-light performance
- simple, uncluttered control interface is powerful yet easy to understand
- smooth, snag-resistant metallic body
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Nikkor Nikon-1 mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 10 frames per second with continuous autofocus
- shutter speed range: 30 secs. - 1/16,000 second, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-3200 auto, 6400 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- 5 preset scene modes
- flash sync: up to 1/60 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine, Normal, and Basic), Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), and Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- MPEG-4/H.264 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second with stereo sound; up to 1200 frames per second slo-mo available at 320x120 pixels
- accepts optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-7/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-1/4"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 8.4 oz.
- supplied lens weight: 12.5 oz.
- Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 mount lens
- body cap
- rechargeable EN-EL20 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM, manual, and reference manual CD
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27-81mm|
|Sensor Size||13.2 x 8.8 mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||3872 x 2592|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60i|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||9.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Nikon J2: The new Nikon J2 is a compact, interchangeable lens camera that combines advanced functionality with a simple, intuitive design. It has the Nikon 1 mount, and is compatible with 1 Nikkor lenses. This Zoom Lens kit includes the 10-30mm standard zoom lens. Other lenses are available, including the 30-110mm and 11-27.5mm zoom lenses, and the 10mm and 18.5mm fixed focal length lenses.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon J2 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-glare coating, and a 7-level brightness adjustment. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The J2 features the newly developed Nikon CX-format super high-speed AF, 13.2mm x 8.8mm CMOS sensor. It has 12-million total pixels and 10.1-million effective pixels.
Included Lens: The J2 Zoom Lens kit includes the 10-30mm standard zoom lens with the following specifications:
|1 Nikkor VR
|Lens Type||Standard Zoom (3x)|
|Minimum Focal Distance||0.66' (7.8")|
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards, including UHS-I Ultra High Speed cards. The camera can support SD cards from up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 8 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB. Cards with Class 6 or higher writing speeds are recommended for movie recording.
Image Quality: The J2 records still images in JPEG format at Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), or Basic (1:16) compression. In addition, compressed 12-bit raw data from the image sensor can be saved directly to the memory card in NEF (RAW) format. The white balance, contrast, and other settings can be adjusted on a computer after shooting. If desired, the J2 can record two images simultaneously: one NEF (RAW) image and one fine-quality JPEG image.
Image Size: There are three image sizes to choose from when taking photos in the Still Image and Smart Photo Selector modes:
- Large: 3872 x 2592
- Medium: 2896 x 1944
- Small: 1936 x 1296
Mode Dial: The Nikon J2 has a mode dial on the back panel with only 5 shooting mode choices: Auto Photo Mode, Creative Mode, Movie Mode, Motion Snapshot Mode, and Smart Photo Selector Mode.
Creative Mode: In the Creative mode, you can select from Programmed Auto, Aperture-priority Auto, Shutter-priority Auto, or Manual Exposure modes (P, S, A, M). In addition, you can use special effects or match settings to the scene you're shooting. Creative selections include: Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Soft, Miniature Effect, and Selective Color.
HD Movies: The Nikon J2 can record High Definition movies in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression with AAC audio) in three settings:
- 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 720/60p: 1280 x 720, 16 Mbps
Still Images in Movie Mode: You can take still images while you are recording HD movies. The images are in 16:9 aspect ratio with a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720.
Slow Motion Movies: You can record motion pictures at a high frame rate, which are played back as slow motion movies at 30p. No audio is recorded, and the aspect ratio is 8:3. There are two slow motion movie options:
|Option||Frame Size||Bit Rate||Maximum Length
|400 fps||640 x 240||1.8 Mbps||5 seconds||1 min 6 sec|
|1200 fps||320 x 120||0.6 Mbps||5 seconds||3 min 20 sec|
Smart Photo Selector Mode: The Smart Photo Selector mode keeps you from missing the picture-perfect moments. When you have composed the photo and press the shutter-release button halfway to focus, the camera begins taking rapid buffering photographs (at 30 fps). After the shutter-release button is pressed fully, the camera will compare shots recorded to the buffer both before and after the button was pressed. The best shot based on composition and motion, and four best shot candidates are copied to the memory card.
Motion Snapshot Mode: The Motion Snapshot mode can turn a simple still image into a creative new way to capture and share your memories. In Motion Snapshot mode, the camera records a high-resolution still image (3840 x 2160), plus a one-second movie vignette. When played back on the camera, the movie will play back in slow motion over approximately 2.5 seconds, followed by the still image. In addition, a short musical background track plays while the Motion Snapshot image is displayed. You can choose your background music from Beauty, Waves, Relaxation, or Tenderness.
Release Modes: You can choose one of the following release modes:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: The camera records photos at up to 5 frames per second while the shutter release button is held down.
- Electronic (Hi): The camera records photos at high rates while the shutter release button is held down. You can set the frame rates at 10 fps (with continuous focus at center of the frame), 30 fps, or 60 fps (focus and exposure are fixed at the values for the first photograph).
Self-timer and Remote Control Modes: You can use the self timer or optional ML-L3 remote control (054MLL3) to reduce camera shake or for self portraits. The self timer will release the shutter 2, 5, or 10 seconds after the shutter-release button is pressed fully. Using the ML-L3 remote, you can select Delayed Remote (shutter released 2 seconds after remote is pressed) or Quick-response Remote (shutter released immediately after remote is pressed).
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
|A3200 Auto (100-3200)||The camera adjusts ISO sensitivity in response to lighting conditions in the range given in brackets. Larger ranges give you increase sensitivity when lighting is poor; smaller ranges give you reduced noise.|
|A800 Auto (100-800)|
|A400 Auto (100-400)|
|100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, Hi 1||ISO sensitivity is fixed at the selected value.|
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, or Shade. You can also choose Preset Manual and set the white balance for the lighting conditions.
Picture Control: You can choose how the camera processes photos through Picture Control. Preset Picture Controls include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. The preset picture controls can be modified to suit the scene or your creative intent. Some Picture Control Settings include Quick Adjust, Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, and Toning. Edited Picture Controls can be saved as Custom Picture Controls.
Flash Modes: The J2 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 2 to 16 feet (Wide angle) and 2 feet to 9.8 feet (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Fill Flash, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Sync, Fill Flash + Slow Sync, Rear Curtain + Slow Sync, and Rear-curtain Sync.
Playback Modes: During playback, you can view images one-at-a-time, or multiple thumbnail images of 4, 9, or 72. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. You can also view pictures taken on a selected date in a calendar format.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image to get a closer look at the detail. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Playback Menu: The Playback menu lets you display or edit your photos and movies. You can choose from the following options:
- Delete: Delete multiple images at once
- Slide Show: View a slide show of images on the memory card with numerous options for image type, date, scene, rating, face priority, frame interval, movie playback time, and audio.
- Rotate Tall: Automatically rotate "tall" portrait-oriented images for display in the camera monitor.
- DPOF Print Order: Create a digital print order for Pictbridge-compatible printers
- Protect: Protect pictures from accidental deletion
- Rating: Rate pictures from 0 to 5
- D-Lighting: Brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Resizing Pictures: Create a small copy of a recorded image.
- Cropping: Create a cropped copy of a recorded image.
- Edit Movie: Create copies of movies with unwanted footage removed.
Power Requirements: The J2 is powered by the supplied EN-EL20 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 230 shots, or approximately 50 minutes of HD footage (1080/60i). Using the supplied MH-27 battery charger, the EN-EL20 requires approximately 2 hours to charge. For longer periods of use, it is recommended to power the camera using the optional EH-5b AC adapter and EP-5C power connector (sold separately).
Auto Power Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
HDMI Output: The J2 features a Type C mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a TV for playback. If the camera is connected to a device that supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can control the camera with the device's remote control.
USB Output: The J2 has a Hi-Speed Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for connecting the camera to a computer or PictBridge-compatible printer. A 5' USB cable is included.
ViewNX2 / Short Movie Creator CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the ViewNX2 software to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and to perform other transfer-related functions. You can also crop pictures, make picture adjustments, and process/edit RAW images. The CD-ROM also includes the Short Movie Creator software which can create and edit short movies combining music, Motion Snapshots, movie footage, and photos taken in still image or Smart Photo Selector mode.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. Your computer should have one of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1): Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
- Windows Vista (SP2): Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
- Windows XP (SP3): Home Edition, Professional
- Macintosh: OS X version 10.6.8 or 10.7.3
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
thankyou [ charles Dec 27, 2013 ]
The zoom will depend on the lens that is attached. The J2 Zoom Lens kit includes the 10-30mm standard zoom lens. [ Jeff Dec 27, 2013 ] Staff