Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix L28
20.1-megapixel digital camera with 5X optical zoom
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix L28 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Be prepared for great photos anytime
Don't let those everyday moments escape. The Nikon Coolpix L28 is small enough to keep on hand all the time, for sharp-looking photos of your kids, friends, pets, and anything interesting that catches your eye. The 20.1-megapixel sensor captures incredible detail, particularly given the L28's compact size and very affordable price. You can experiment with 20 scene modes for different shooting situations, or just rely on auto scene selection and let the camera choose the setting for you.
Wish you could improve portraits without mastering expensive editing software? You can with the L28's Smart Portrait system, which includes in-camera red-eye fix, skin softening, and smile shutter, which snaps a picture when your subject smiles. There's also a dedicated movie button for shooting beautiful HD video, with electronic image stabilization to minimize the effects of shaky hands for blur-free movies and photos.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (red)
- 2 "AA" alkaline batteries
- 2' UC-E16 USB cable with a USB Type-A connector on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- Wrist strap
- Nikon ViewNX2 CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (Eng/Span/Fren)
- Warranty Programs sheet
- 20.1-megapixel effective recording
- 5X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 26-130mm
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- scene auto selector automatically recognizes the type of shot you compose and adjusts camera settings to your shooting environment
- face priority autofocus and blink alert for better portraits
- smile mode automatically snaps the shutter when the camera detects a smiling subject
- in-camera automatic red-eye correction
- 20 scene modes include Night Portrait, Sunset, and Landscape
- motion-detection recognizes fast motion and automatically increases shutter speed and sensitivity (ISO) for sharper photos
- digital image stabilization
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 3-15/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 1-3/16"D
- weight (with battery and media): 5.8 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- two "AA" batteries
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix L28 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||26-130mm|
|Internal Memory||27 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CCD|
|Highest Resolution||5152 x 3864|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Nikon Coolpix L28 has a 3" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 230,000 pixels and a five-level brightness adjustment. The LCD monitor's wide-angle viewing area makes it easy to see and use. The LCD monitor has approximately 98% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix L28 features a 1/2.3" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 20.48-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 20.1-million.
Optics: The Coolpix L28 digital camera uses a Nikkor glass zoom lens for superb image quality. Every aspect of the lens manufacturing process is controlled by Nikon. The Nikkor lens is designed for the specific camera and CCD combination. The Coolpix L28 uses a 5x optical zoom, that is equivalent to a 26-130mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 20x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of approximately 520mm lens (35mm format).
Electronic VR (Vibration Reduction) Stabilization: The Coolpix L28's Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) Stabilization System effective corrects blur that commonly occurs when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in.
Built-in Memory: The camera has a built-in 27 MB internal memory for storing still images and movies with sound. Images will be saved to the internal memory when no memory card is inserted.
Recording Media: In addition to the built-in memory, images can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards. When an SD Memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. The camera can support SD cards up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards of 48 GB, 64 GB, or 128 GB.
Image Size: The Coolpix L28 records still images in JPEG format, and standard definition movies in AVI (Motion JPEG) format. You have a choice of seven still image size options and three movie options:
- Still Images:
- 20M: 5152 x 3864 High Quality 1:4 compression ratio
- 20M: 5152 x 3864 Standard Quality 1:8 compression ratio
- 10M: 3648 x 2736
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- VGA: 640 x 480
- 16:9 14M: 5120 x 2880
- Movies (Frame Rate 30 fps):
- HD 720p: 1280 x 720--16:9
- VGA: 640 x 480--4:3
- QVGA: 320 x 240--4:3
Note: The maximum movie length for each movie is 29 minutes, and the maximum file size is 4 GB, regardless of the memory card capacity.
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Easy Auto Mode: The camera automatically determines an appropriate shooting mode when you frame a picture, allowing you to easily take pictures with a shooting mode that suits the scene.
- Auto Mode: In Auto Mode, you can apply the macro mode and exposure compensation when shooting pictures. You can choose a flash mode and activate the self-timer.
- Scene Mode: You can manually or automatically select a scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation: Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up, Food, Museum, Fireworks Show, Black & White Copy, Backlighting, Panorama Assist, and Pet Portrait.
- Smart Portrait: Using face priority to recognize human faces, the shutter is automatically released when a smile is detected.
Continuous Shooting: You can set the camera to take one picture at a time or multiple images by selecting one of the following options:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: While the shutter-release button is held down, up to 6 pictures are taken at a rate of about 1.1 frames per second (fps) when image mode is set to 20M (5152 x 3864).
- Best Shot Selector: The BSS is recommended for situations in which inadvertent camera movement can produce blurred pictures, or when parts of the image are prone to under- or over-exposure. When BSS is on, the camera takes shots while the shutter-release button is pressed, to a maximum of ten. The images are compared and the sharpest picture is saved to the internal memory or memory card.
- Multi-Shot 16: Each time the shutter release button is pressed, the camera takes 16 consecutive "thumbnail" images at a rate of about 30 frames per second, and arranges them into a single 5M (2560 x 1920) image.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second timer for self-portraits.
Focus Area Selection: You can select between the following Focus Area Selection methods to determine where the camera focuses:
- Face Detection: When the camera recognizes a face (front view only), the camera will focus on the face automatically. The camera can recognize up to 12 faces depending on shooting and exposure mode.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
Color Options: You can shoot still images with several color options: Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 4". The flash may be unable to light entire subject at distances of less than 1 feet 8 inches.
Focus Lock: The Focus Lock feature is used to focus on off-centered subjects in the frame while shooting in Center AF mode.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 6'-2" at the maximum wide-angle position and 3' 7" at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off.
Blink Warning Function: The Blink Warning function is available when you are shooting in Easy Auto, Portrait, or Night Portrait mode. When the camera detects that one or more human subjects may have blinked, the blink warning screen is displayed. The subject is framed by a yellow border, allowing you to check the picture and decide whether or not to take another picture.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 steps.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features automatic settings at 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset Manual and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix L28 has a built-in Speedlite flash with a range of 1'-8" to 14' (Wide angle) and 2'-8" to 6'-10" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Flash Off: Flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
In-Camera Red-Eye Fix: If the camera detects red-eye after the pre-flash has fired, advanced red-eye reduction processing is used to further reduce red-eye, slightly increasing the time required before the next picture can be taken.
Playback Menu: The following options are available in the playback mode:
- Print Order: You can select images to print and the number of copies for each.
- Slide Show: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
- Protect: You can select images that you want to protect from accidental deletion. Even protected images can be erased if the camera's internal memory or memory card are formatted.
- Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Skin Softening: The camera detects faces in images and creates a copy with softer facial skin tones.
- Small Picture: You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:16. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
- Cropping: Create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, or 16) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 34 different menu display languages including English, Spanish and French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card by using the Print Set option in the playback menu. Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and how many copies to print. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: insert the memory card into a printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab (images stored in the internal memory need to be transferred to a memory card prior to printing).
- PictBridge-compatible Printer: connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer via USB cable
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them via USB
Power Requirements: The Coolpix L28 is powered by two "AA" batteries. You can use alkaline (supplied) or lithium non-rechargeable batteries, or Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeables. For best performance, you should use the camera's setup menu to indicate the type of batteries being used. The approximate battery life for each type of battery is as follows:
|Battery Type||Still Images||Movies
|280 shots||1 hr 5 min|
|Lithium||890 shots||2 hrs 40 min|
|530 shots||1 hrs 30 min|
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The Coolpix L28 features a single proprietary jack on the bottom of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable or an optional AV cable (EG-CP14). This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using an optional AV cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
ViewNX 2 CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the following software:
- ViewNX 2:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing your images and movies on the computer
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies.
- Panorama Maker: for creating panoramic images from the camera's recorded still images
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Mac: OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Nice, takes great pictures. It has many features that you find on much more costly cameras. Very happy with this purchase. [ MICHAEL E Feb 24, 2014 ]