Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix L610
16-megapixel digital camera with 14X optical zoom (Black)
Item # 054L610K | MFR # 26345
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix L610 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Take fantastic photos without taking a photography class
Looking for an easy-to-use digital camera with a bit more punch than your old point-and-shoot? Nikon's 16-megapixel Coolpix L610 packs potent features into a super-compact camera you'll never want to leave at home. From long-range zoom to HD video, the L610 balances high performance with intuitive operation.
Whether at your child's soccer game, the beach, or traveling abroad, a versatile camera will give you lots of shooting options. With the L610, you can get close-ups of your daughter on the field without leaving your spot on the sideline, thanks to 14X optical zoom. Or go wide-angle and photograph a magnificent sunset over the ocean. Or get up close and personal with a small flower as close as 1 cm for a macro shot. You can even add filter effects to stored images to create stylized photos that look more like works of art than snapshots.
Auto Mode makes this camera foolproof
Optical image stabilization ensures that the quality of your pictures won't be dependent on keeping a steady hand. And a powerful CMOS sensor means that your images will sparkle with detail even in low-light settings. Choose from one of 19 scene settings based on your environment, or just let the L610's Auto Mode take control and adjust the settings for you on the fly.
Full-HD video from your digital camera
No need to tote around a separate camcorder. The L610 records full-HD video, so you're always ready to capture those elusive moments when the video camera is stuffed in a closet and your smartphone's video capabilities just don't cut it. If 1080p video isn't enough to impress your friends, take a picture using 3D mode for viewing on a 3D-ready TV and watch your photos literally jump out of the screen. (Just don't forget the 3D glasses.)
I'm a very amateur user, and am greatly pleased with this camera. It's easy to use - quite intuitive - with more features and capabilities than I had expected. I'm still learning...
JimB, Merrill, WI
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 59" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- 47" A/V cable (with RCA composite video and stereo RCA audio plugs on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- Wrist strap
- ViewNX2 software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp/Port)
- Warranty sheet
- Notes About Movie Recording sheet
- my Picturetown info sheet
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 14X optical zoom (2X digital/28X total zoom)
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-350mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction for blur-free photos
- captures 4 shots at approx. 1.9 frames per second
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 3200) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- face priority autofocus for better portraits
- smile shutter and blink alert for capturing ideal expressions
- in-camera automatic red-eye correction
- built-in editing for filter effects and brightening dark images
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- 19 scene modes including Night Portrait, Sports, and Beach
- 3D still image photography for viewing on your 3D-capable TV
- built-in flash
- auto and preset white balance settings
- 28MB internal memory
Connections and Dimensions:
- mini HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- USB port
- 4-1/4"W x 2-3/4"H x 1-3/8"D
- weight (with battery and SD card): 8.5 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 2 "AA" batteries
- audio/video and USB cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix L610 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-350mm|
|Internal Memory||28 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
LCD Monitor: The Nikon Coolpix L610 has a 3" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 460,000 pixels and a five-level brightness adjustment. The LCD monitor's wide-angle viewing area makes it easy to see and use. The LCD monitor has approximately 96% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting and playback modes. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix L610 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.79-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.1-million.
Optics: The Coolpix L610 digital camera uses a Nikkor glass zoom lens for superb image quality. Every aspect of the lens manufacturing process is controlled by Nikon. The Nikkor lens is designed for the specific camera and image sensor combination. The Coolpix L610 uses a 14x optical zoom, that is equivalent to a 25-350mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 2x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 28x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of approximately 700mm lens (35mm format).
Vibration Reduction (VR) Image Stabilization: The Coolpix L610's Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Stabilization System effectively corrects blur that commonly occurs when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in. The camera utilizes lens shift technology to reduce the effect of camera shake.
Built-in Memory: The camera has a built-in 28 MB internal memory for storing still images and movies with sound. Images will be saved to the internal memory when no memory card is inserted. Using the internal memory, you can store approximately 4 images at the highest resolution, or 10 seconds of High Definition video.
Recording Media: In addition to the built-in memory, images can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards. When an SD Memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. The camera can support SD cards up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards of 64 GB or 128 GB. Memory cards with a Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies.
Image Sizes: The Coolpix L610 records still images in JPEG format, as well as High Definition and Standard Definition movies in MOV format (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: LPCM stereo). You have a choice of seven still image size options and two movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 High Quality 1:4 compression ratio
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 Standard Quality 1:8 compression ratio
- 8M: 3264 x 2448
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- VGA: 640 x 480
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592
- Movies (Frame Rate 30 fps):
- HD1080p: 1920 x 1080 High Quality (Bit rate: 18 Mbps)
- HD1080p: 1920 x 1080 Standard Quality (Bit rate: 12.3 Mbps)
- HD 720p: 1280 x 720--16:9 (Bit rate: 9 Mbps)
- iFrame 540: 960 x 540 (Bit Rate: 20.7 Mbps)
- VGA: 640 x 480--4:3 (Bit rate: 3 Mbps)
Note: The maximum movie length for each movie is 29 minutes, and the maximum file size is 4 GB, regardless of the memory card capacity.
3D Photography: The camera can take 3D photos that are viewable on a 3D-compatible TV or monitor. Images are recorded at a size of 1920 x 1080. Recording a 3D image is a two-step process. After taking the initial picture (left eye image), a second picture (right eye image) is taken automatically by moving the camera horizontally to the right until the subject is aligned with the guide on the monitor. To play back 3D images, you will need to connect the camera to the TV via a 3D-compatible HDMI cable. Only the initial (left eye) image can be viewed in the camera's monitor.
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Easy Auto Mode: The camera automatically determines an appropriate shooting mode when you frame a picture, allowing you to easily take pictures with a shooting mode that suits the scene. Easy Auto Mode scenes include: Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Close-up, Backlighting, and Other Scenes.
- Auto Mode: A mode used for general shooting. In Auto Mode, you can apply the macro mode and exposure compensation when shooting pictures. You can choose a flash mode and activate the self-timer.
- Scene Mode: You can manually or automatically select a scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation: Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up, Food, Museum, Fireworks Show, Black & White Copy, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Pet Portrait and 3D Photography.
- Special Effects Mode: Effects can be applied to images when shooting. You can choose from the following special effects: High Key, Low Key, Soft, and Selective Color.
- Smart Portrait: Using face priority to recognize human faces, the shutter is automatically released when a smile is detected. A skin softening option can smooth the skin tones in human faces.
Continuous Shooting: You can set the camera to take one picture at a time or multiple images by selecting one of the following options:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: While the shutter-release button is held down, up to 4 pictures are taken at a rate of about 1.9 frames per second (fps) when image mode is set to 16M (4608 x 3456).
- Best Shot Selector: The BSS is recommended for situations in which inadvertent camera movement can produce blurred pictures, or when parts of the image are prone to under- or over-exposure. When BSS is on, the camera takes shots while the shutter-release button is pressed, to a maximum of ten. The images are compared and the sharpest picture is saved to the internal memory or memory card.
- Multi-Shot 16: Each time the shutter release button is pressed, the camera takes 16 consecutive "thumbnail" images at a rate of about 30 frames per second, and arranges them into a single 5M (2560 x 1920) image.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second timer for self-portraits.
Focus Area Selection: You can select between the following Focus Area Selection methods to determine where the camera focuses:
- Target Finding AF:
- When the camera detects the main subject, it focuses in that subject.
- When the subject is in focus, the focus area matches the size of the subject.
- When the camera detects a person's face, it focuses on it as a priority.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
Color Options: You can shoot still images with several color options: Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 0.4". The flash may be unable to light entire subject at distances of less than 1 feet 8 inches.
Focus Lock: The Focus Lock feature is used to focus on off-centered subjects in the frame while shooting in Center AF mode.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 6' 7" at the maximum wide-angle position and 3' 7" at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off, as desired.
Blink Warning Function: The Blink Warning function is available when you are shooting in Easy Auto, Portrait, or Night Portrait mode. When the camera detects that one or more human subjects may have blinked, the blink warning screen is displayed. The subject is framed by a yellow border, allowing you to check the picture and decide whether or not to take another picture.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 steps.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features ISO settings of Auto, 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset Manual and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix L610 has a built-in Speedlite flash with a range of 1'-8" to 19' (Wide angle) and 5' to 10' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Flash Off: Flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
In-Camera Red-Eye Fix: If the camera detects red-eye after the pre-flash has fired, advanced red-eye reduction processing is used to further reduce red-eye, slightly increasing the time required before the next picture can be taken.
Playback Menu: The following options are available in the playback mode:
- Quick Retouch: You can compare the original photo side-by-side with one with enhanced contrast and saturation, then save the one you like best.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Skin Softening: The camera detects faces in images and creates a copy with softer facial skin tones.
- Filter Effects: Choose from five filter effects to apply to the recorded image: soft, selective color, cross screen, miniature effect, or painting.
- Print Order: You can select images to print and the number of copies for each.
- Slide Show: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
- Protect: You can select images that you want to protect from accidental deletion. Even protected images can be erased if the camera's internal memory or memory card are formatted.
- Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
- Cropping: Create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
- Small Picture: You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:16. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, or 16) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image 3x to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 31 different menu display languages including English, Spanish or French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card by using the Print Set option in the playback menu. Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and how many copies to print. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: insert the memory card into a printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab (images stored in the internal memory need to be transferred to a memory card prior to printing).
- PictBridge-compatible Printer: connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer via USB cable
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them via USB
Power Requirements: The Coolpix L610 is powered by two "AA" batteries. You can use alkaline (supplied) or lithium non-rechargeable batteries, or Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeables. For best performance, you should use the camera's setup menu to indicate the type of batteries being used. The approximate battery life for each type of battery is as follows:
|Battery Type||Still Images||Movies|
|120 shots||11 min|
|Lithium||470 shots||1 hr 20 min|
|Ni-MH||330 shots||50 min|
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix L610 is equipped with a mini-HDMI (Type C) output, allowing you to connect the camera to an HDTV. An optional mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required. The camera's HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p or 1080i. In addition, the HDMI 3D Output setting allows you to view your 3D images on a 3D-capable TV.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack on the side of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable (UC-E16) or AV cable (EG-CP16). This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using an optional AV cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
ViewNX 2 CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the following software:
- ViewNX 2:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
- Panorama Maker: for creating panoramic images from the camera's recorded still images
Compatible Operating Systems: The supplied software will work with the following operating systems:
- Windows 7: Home Basic, Home Premium, Enterprise, Professional, Ultimate (Service Pack 1)
- Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP: Home Edition, Professional (Service Pack 3)
- Mac OS X: Version 10.6.8, 10.7.4
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.