Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon 1 S1 with Low-profile 2.5X Zoom Lens
10-megapixel hybrid camera with interchangeable lens capability and optional Wi-Fi® (Khaki)
Item # 054S127621 | MFR # 27621
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon 1 S1 with Low-profile 2.5X Zoom Lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Nikon 1 S1 features uncomplicated controls and on-screen help.
Take the next step without having to study up
You've enjoyed your little point-and-shoot over the past few years, but as you frame up your adorable niece while she blows bubbles, it occurs to you that you're missing all the best moments and catching all the blinks and burst bubbles. Maybe it's time for something new? Something that will let you live with the moment and not have you head-down looking at the screen all the time as you struggle with the menu?
The Nikon 1 S1 is a camera you can be successful with inside of a few minutes of taking it out of the box, and yet it still offers features that spark the admiration of seasoned shutterbugs.
Why should you consider moving up to the S1? Because it has so many ways to make sure you bring home the proverbial bacon. The much-lauded hybrid autofocus system is where we start, as it makes sure whatever you're following in your viewfinder will be sharp, vibrant, and clear. From there, you can engage the smart photo selector, which fires off 20 lightning-quick shots with one shutter press, and delivers the best five for your review. Or choose the Slow View mode, which enables you to see what you're looking at in slow-motion on the LCD, and choose what instant you'd like to preserve for posterity.
A unique way of seeing things
And your choices aren't restricted to photo selection. The S1 shoots clear, colorful HD video as well, at up to 1080/60i. There are two high-speed slow-motion options (at reduced resolutions) that will help you examine the mechanics of your swimming stroke, or turn ordinary things like the wind blowing the fallen leaves into Zen meditation masterpieces. A hybrid photo/video mode called Motion Snapshot matches your best short video clips and photos with built-in music to add resonance to the day's best moments. Add even more creative spark with the camera's built-in creative modes: See the world all in black and white — except for your wife's green scarf, for example.
The optional Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter allows you to pair your camera with your compatible smartphone or tablet.
Share in minutes
Are your parents eager to see new shots of your niece (their granddaughter)? With the optional Nikon WU-1b wireless mobile adapter, you'll be able to pair your camera with your smartphone or tablet and be sending off the best shots before the kids come in from the backyard. Plus, for those never-to-be-captured-again family portraits, you can shout your positioning instructions while looking at the camera's monitor from your position in the second row, on your smartphone's screen — and fire the shutter, too. No more "where were you" questions.
It handles the details
The Nikon 1 S1 shoots images that will stand up to close examination and make great 8 x 10 prints. Plus, the camera performs well in low light, as it has a nicely extended sensitivity range, with ISOs up to 6400. An on-board flash adds even more flexibility to shooting nighttime events.
Sleek and sharp
All this power from a camera that fits neatly in your palm or discreetly in a purse. This version of the S1 comes with a slim, lightweight 11-27.5mm standard 2.5X zoom lens. With an equivalent length of 30-74mm, it'll easily handle the aforementioned family portrait and snag you your sister's contagious laugh as she surveys the bubble blowing festivities. While you can always change to other 1 Nikkor lenses for different creative options, this standard zoom will have you covered for almost all of your day-to-day photo opportunities.
What's in the Box:
- Nikon 1 S1 digital camera body (khaki green) with attached 1-mount body cap
- Khaki green 1 NIKKOR VR 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- Khaki green LC-N40.5 lens cap (attached to lens)
- Black 1-Mount rear lens cap (attached to lens)
- EN-EL20 Lithium-Ion battery pack (7.2 Volts/1020 mAh) with attached plastic terminal cap
- MH-27 Battery charger
- Adjustable neck strap
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- ViewNX2 Short Movie Creator software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Warranty Programs Form
- Lens Warranty form (5 Years of Protection)
- Note regarding the lens barrel button
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording
- Nikon CX CMOS image sensor (13.2 x 8.8 mm)
- includes compact 1 Nikkor 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 30-74mm)
- 3" 460k-dot LCD screen with anti-glare coating for easy viewing outdoors
- optional Wi-Fi® capability with the available Nikon WU-1b module enables wireless file sharing and remote viewing/control options
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080i @ 60 frames per second, or 1080p @ 30 fps)
- EXPEED 3A image processor means fast data transfer rates for superior continuous shooting
- in-camera electronic vibration reduction helps minimize the effects of shaky hands
- Smart Photo Selector chooses the best shots from a continuous series
- single-point autofocus has 135 areas; auto-area autofocus has 41 areas
- maintain razor-sharp autofocus while shooting 15 continuous frames per second
- built-in, pop-up flash
- wide ISO range for colorful, dynamic low-light performance
- simple control interface is powerful yet easy to understand
- smooth, snag-resistant metallic body
- warranty: 1 year, 5 years lens (with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Nikkor Nikon-1 mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 15 frames per second with continuous autofocus
- shutter speed range: 30 secs. - 1/16,000 second, bulb, electronically controlled
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 160-6400
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- 5 preset scene modes
- flash sync: up to 1/60 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine, Normal, and Basic), Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), and Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- MPEG-4/H.264 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second with stereo sound; up to 1200 frames per second slo-mo available at 320 x 120 pixels
- accepts optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- 4-3/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-1/4"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 7.1 oz.
- supplied lens weight: 2.8 oz.
- 1 Nikkor 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens
- body cap
- rechargeable EN-EL20 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- USB cable
- software CD-ROM, manual, and reference manual CD
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||30-74mm|
|Sensor Size||13.2 x 8.8mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||3872 x 2592|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60i|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Nikon S1: The Nikon S1 is a compact, interchangeable lens camera that combines advanced functionality with a simple, intuitive design. It has the Nikon 1 mount, and is compatible with 1 Nikkor lenses. This Zoom Lens kit includes the 11-27.5mm wide-angle to medium telephoto zoom lens. Other available lenses include:
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon S1 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 460,000 dots, an anti-glare coating, and a 7-level brightness adjustment. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The S1 features the newly developed Nikon CX-format super high-speed AF, 13.2mm x 8.8mm CMOS sensor. It has 12-million total pixels and 10.1-million effective pixels.
Included Lens: The S1 Zoom Lens kit includes the 1 Nikkor VR 11-27.5mm lens with the following specifications:
|1 Nikkor VR
|Lens Type||Wide Angle-to-Medium Telephoto (2.5x)|
|Minimum Focal Distance||1.0'|
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards, including UHS-I Ultra High Speed cards. The camera can support SD cards from up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 8 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB. Cards with Class 6 or higher writing speeds are recommended for movie recording. Eye-Fi cards, which can transfer images and movies via Wi-Fi, are also compatible.
Image Quality: The S1 records still images in JPEG format at Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), or Basic (1:16) compression. In addition, compressed 12-bit raw data from the image sensor can be saved directly to the memory card in NEF (RAW) format. The white balance, contrast, and other settings can be adjusted on a computer after shooting. If desired, the S1 can record two images simultaneously: one NEF (RAW) image and one fine-quality JPEG image.
Image Size: There are three image sizes to choose from when taking photos in the Still Image and Smart Photo Selector modes:
- Large: 3872 x 2592
- Medium: 2896 x 1944
- Small: 1936 x 1296
Shooting Modes: The Nikon S1 lets you select the Shooting Mode from the following choices:
- Motion Snapshot: Each time the shutter is released the camera records a still image and about 1.6 seconds of movie footage. When the Motion Snapshot is played back, the movie plays back in slow motion over approximately 4 seconds, followed by the still image.
- Best Moment Capture: You can choose the moment to release the shutter as the scene plays back in slow motion (Slow View), or let the camera choose the best shot based on composition and motion (Smart Photo Selector).
- Auto: Let the camera pick the settings for photographs and movies.
- Creative: Lets you use special effects, match settings to the scene, or control shutter speed and aperture.
- Advanced Movie: Choose the shutter speed and aperture for HD movies or shoot slow-motion movies.
Smart Photo Selector Mode: The Smart Photo Selector mode keeps you from missing the picture-perfect moments. When you have composed the photo and press the shutter-release button halfway to focus, the camera begins taking rapid buffering photographs (at 30 fps). After the shutter-release button is pressed fully, the camera will compare shots recorded to the buffer both before and after the button was pressed. The best shot based on composition and motion, and four best shot candidates are copied to the memory card.
Motion Snapshot Mode: The Motion Snapshot mode can turn a simple still image into a creative new way to capture and share your memories. In Motion Snapshot mode, the camera records a high-resolution still image (3840 x 2160), plus a one-second movie vignette. When played back on the camera, the movie will play back in slow motion over approximately 2.5 seconds, followed by the still image. In addition, a short musical background track plays while the Motion Snapshot image is displayed. You can choose your background music from Beauty, Waves, Relaxation, or Tenderness.
HD Movies: The Nikon S1 can record High Definition movies in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression with AAC audio) in three settings:
- 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080, 24 Mbps
- 720/60p: 1280 x 720, 16 Mbps
Still Images in Movie Mode: You can take still images while you are recording HD movies. The images are in 16:9 aspect ratio with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (with movie size 1080/60i and 1080/30p) or 1280 x 720 (with movie size 720/60p and 720/30p).
Slow Motion Movies: You can record motion pictures at a high frame rate, which are played back as slow motion movies at 30p. No audio is recorded, and the aspect ratio is 8:3. There are two slow motion movie options:
|Option||Frame Size||Bit Rate||Maximum Length
|400 fps||640 x 240||2 Mbps||2.5 seconds||33 sec|
|1200 fps||320 x 120||1 Mbps||2.5 seconds||1 min 40 sec|
Release Modes: You can choose one of the following release modes:
- Single: The camera records one picture each time the shutter release button is pressed.
- Continuous: The camera continuously records full resolution photos while the shutter release button is held down. You can select a frame rate of 5, 15, 30, or 60 fps. At 5 and 15 fps, the focus is set automatically with each shot. At 30 and 60 fps, the focus is locked on the first frame. The maximum number of shots that can be taken in a single burst is 15 at frame rates of 30 or 60 fps.
- Self-timer: You can use the self timer to reduce camera shake or for self portraits. The self timer will release the shutter 2, 5, or 10 seconds after the shutter-release button is pressed fully.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
|A6400 Auto (100-6400)||The camera adjusts ISO sensitivity in response to lighting conditions in the range given in brackets. Larger ranges give you increase sensitivity when lighting is poor; smaller ranges give you reduced noise.|
|A3200 Auto (100-3200)|
|A800 Auto (100-800)|
|100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400||ISO sensitivity is fixed at the selected value.|
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, or Shade. You can also choose Preset Manual and set the white balance for the lighting conditions. When taking pictures underwater using an optional waterproof case (WP-N2), you can select the Underwater white balance setting.
Picture Control: You can choose how the camera processes photos through Picture Control. Preset Picture Controls include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. The preset picture controls can be modified to suit the scene or your creative intent. Some Picture Control Settings include Quick Adjust, Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, and Toning. Edited Picture Controls can be saved as Custom Picture Controls.
Flash Modes: The S1 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 2 to 23 feet (Wide angle) and 2 feet to 13.8 feet (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto Flash, Auto + Red-eye Reduction, Fill Flash, Fill Flash + Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Sync, Rear-curtain Sync, Rear Curtain + Slow Sync, and Off.
Optional Wireless Mobile Adapter: With the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter you can copy images to your smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n). In addition, you can control the camera from your mobile device. The smart device is required to run the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app, available from the Apple App Store or Google Play. The WU-1b is compatible with Android 2.3 or later smartphones, Android 3.0 or later tablets, and iPhone and iPad running iOS 6.0 or later.
Playback Modes: During playback, you can view images one-at-a-time, or multiple thumbnail images of 4, 9, or 72. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. You can also view pictures taken on a selected date in a calendar format.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image to get a closer look at the detail. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Playback Menu: The Playback menu lets you display or edit your photos and movies. You can choose from the following options:
- Delete: Delete multiple images at once
- Slide Show: View a slide show of images on the memory card with numerous options for image type, date, scene, rating, face priority, frame interval, movie playback time, and audio.
- Image Review: Choose whether pictures are displayed after shooting.
- Rotate Tall: Automatically rotate "tall" portrait-oriented images for display in the camera monitor.
- DPOF Print Order: Create a digital print order for Pictbridge-compatible printers
- Protect: Protect pictures from accidental deletion
- Rating: Rate pictures from 0 to 5
- D-Lighting: Brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Resizing Pictures: Create a small copy of a recorded image.
- Cropping: Create a cropped copy of a recorded image.
- Face Priority Zoom: Choose whether you can select faces detected with face priority during playback zoom.
- Edit Movie: Create copies of movies with unwanted footage removed.
- Change Theme: Change the theme for existing Motion Snapshots.
Power Requirements: The S1 is powered by the supplied EN-EL20 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 220 shots, or approximately 50 minutes of HD footage (1080/60i). Using the supplied MH-27 battery charger, the EN-EL20 requires approximately 2 hours to charge. For longer periods of use, it is recommended to power the camera using the optional EH-5b AC adapter and EP-5C power connector (sold separately).
Auto Power Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
HDMI Output: The S1 features a Type C mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a TV for playback. If the camera is connected to a device that supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can control the camera with the device's remote control.
USB Output: The S1 has a Hi-Speed Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for connecting the camera to a computer or PictBridge-compatible printer. A 5' USB cable is included.
ViewNX2 / Short Movie Creator CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the ViewNX2 software to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and to perform other transfer-related functions. You can also crop pictures, make picture adjustments, and process/edit RAW images. The CD-ROM also includes the Short Movie Creator software which can create and edit short movies combining music, Motion Snapshots, movie footage, and photos taken in still image or Smart Photo Selector mode.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. Your computer should have one of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
- Macintosh: OS X version 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.