Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S30
10.1-megapixel waterproof camera with 3X optical zoom
Item # 054S30W | MFR # 26317
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S30 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Fun in the sun, or the rain
Don't be nervous about bringing your camera poolside. The Nikon Coolpix S30 is designed to get wet, so you won't miss out on great pictures at the pool, the beach or even in the rain. The S30 is waterproof to depths of 9.8 feet, perfect for taking great-looking photos and high-definition video in and out of the water. Small and sporty, it's easy to slip the S30 into your beach bag without having to worry about sand and surf doing damage like they would to a normal camera. Keep your SLR at home and take this rugged point-and-shoot out in the elements, come rain or come shine.
Want to review those photos while you're still outside having fun? Don't let bright sunshine dissuade you, thanks to the S30's LCD display with five-level brightness adjustment. You can even edit photos right on your camera, adding filter effects, borders and cropping out unwanted subjects on the periphery before they even get a chance to see the picture.
So far it's a great camera
Anonymous, Beaver Falls, Pa
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (white)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary USB connector on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Cleaning brush
- ViewNX2 software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (En/Fr/Sp/Por)
- Warranty Programs Form
- Important Notices on Waterproof
- my Picturetown info sheet
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording CCD sensor
- 2.7" LCD screen (230,000 dots)
- 3X optical zoom (4X digital/12X total zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 29-87mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- waterproof to depths of 9.8 feet
- shockproof up to 2.6 feet
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- electronic vibration reduction minimizes blur from shaky hands
- macro mode lets you get as close as 2 inches from your subject for extreme close-ups
- face detection and smile timer for portrait framing and automatic shutter release when subject smiles
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-1/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight: 7.6 oz. (with battery and media)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 2 "AA" batteries
- "O"-ring cleaning brush
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix S30 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.7"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||29.1-87.3mm|
|Sensor Size||1/3" CCD|
|Highest Resolution||3648 x 2736|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S30 can go anywhere with you. Built to withstand trips to the pool or playground, it is waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof. It has a big 2.7" LCD monitor, a 3x wide angle zoom lens, and a 10.1 MP image sensor for shooting still images and HD movies.
2.7" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S30 has a 2.7" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 230,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The LCD monitor has approximately 98% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% coverage in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S30 features a 1/3" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 10.44-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 10.1-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S30 digital camera uses a 3x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.1-12.3mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 29.1-87.3mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 12x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 349mm lens (35mm format).
Waterproof-Shockproof-Dustproof: The S30 is designed for extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: rated equivalent to IEC/JIS waterproof grade 8 (IPX8) for shooting images underwater at a depth of 3 meters (9.8 feet) for up to 60 minutes.
- Shockproof: rated compliant with MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock (drop test from a height of 80 cm (31.5 inches) on a 5 cm (2 inch) thick plywood panel).
- Dustproof: rated equivalent with JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X)
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S30 offers Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR). Vibration Reduction reduces blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. Slight hand movements causes blurred photos, especially when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S30 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S30 has a built-in 47 MB internal memory.
File Formats: The Coolpix S30 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in AVI format (Motion JPEG compliant). You have a choice of three still image size options and two movie options:
- Still Images:
- 10M: 3648 x 2736
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- HD 720p 1280 x 720 Bit Rate: 30 Mbps
- VGA 640 x 480 Bit Rate: 10.7 Mbps
Note: The maximum movie length for a single movie is 29 minutes or 4 GB file size.
Flexible Buttons: The S30 has four Flexible Buttons down the left side of the monitor. You can select items in the shooting mode or playback mode according to the icon in the display adjacent to each button.
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Flexible Buttons, you can select a shooting mode that is suited to the scene. You can select from Point and shoot, Shoot close-ups, Shoot under water, Take a series of pictures, Shoot at intervals, Photograph food, Highlight colors, Take soft pictures, Create a diorama effect, and Photograph fireworks.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second self-timer for self-portraits or to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button. With the Smile Timer activated, the camera can detect human faces and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 1'-11' (Wide angle) and 1'-8" to 6'-7" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, and Off.
Change Colors: In the shooting menu, you can adjust the brightness (exposure compensation), vividness (saturation), and hue (white balance).
Decorate: The Decorate function lets you add a frame around your images when you take pictures. You can choose from 5 different frames.
Movie Button: The S30 has a dedicated Movie Record button on the top of the camera to let you start recording movies at any time.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 9 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include:
- Have Fun With Pictures: Select playback functions such as Change colors, Highlight Colors, Decorate, Soften Pictures, Add Starbursts, Add a fisheye effect, or Add a diorama effect.
- View: Select from View, Favorites, Photo Albums, Slide show, Choose by date, Rotate pictures, Small Picture, Print Order, and Copy.
- Exchange Messages: Add voice messages to your images.
- Erase: You can delete selected images.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S30 is powered by two "AA" batteries (included). You can use Alkaline batteries, Lithium batteries, or rechargeable Ni-MH batteries:
|Battery Type||Still Pictures||Movie Recording|
|Alkaline||240 shots||50 minutes|
|Lithium||700 shots||3 hours 45 minutes|
|Ni-MH rechargeable||410 shots||2 hours 25 minutes|
USB/Audio-Video Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable or an optional Audio Video cable. This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using the optional EG-CP14 Audio Video cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
ViewNX2: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software is downloadable from the Nikon website (URL provided in the Reference Manual). The ViewNX 2 CD contains the following applications:
- ViewNX 2: (consists of three modules below)
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
- Panorama Maker 6: for creating a single panorama photo using a series of separate images.
- QuickTime (Windows only)
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows 7: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 1)
- Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP: Home Edition, Professional (Service Pack 3)
- MAC OS X Versions: 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.7.2
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.