Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S31
10.1-megapixel waterproof digital camera with 3X optical zoom (Pink)
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S31 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Family fun in the sun (or the water)
You probably wouldn't turn a five-year-old loose with a digital camera. Unless it's the Nikon Coolpix S31. Let the little ones snap away while you sit back and relax. It's waterproof, shockproof and dustproof, so every member of the family can pass it around without you worrying what might happen to it. Your son brings it into the sandbox? No problem. Your daughter drops it in the pool? No problem. But don't let your kids have all the fun. Bring it to the beach, out in the rain and anyplace you'd think twice about bringing a less durable, more expensive camera for great-looking photos.
Not only is it tough, but the Coolpix S31 is incredibly easy to use. Easy Auto mode adjusts exposure settings so you don't have to. Just point, shoot, and check out the results on the crystal-clear display. It has five brightness settings, so you can be sure to see your photos even in the bright sun — poolside or oceanside. You can even play slideshows right on the camera, a fun activity after you've turned the S31 over to your kids for a while.
This camera is perfect for my needs. Immediately tried it out in our pool. It was simple enough to pass around for everyone to use. Took great pics and videos. I cant wait to take it on my upcoming cruise, very satisfied. Quality i expected from Nikon!
AlvinJ, Kissimmee, Fl
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (pink)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V 1050mAh 3.9Wh) with plastic terminal cover
- MH-65 Battery Charger (DC output: 4.2V / 0.7A)
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 2' USB cable (UC-E16) with a USB type-A connector on one end and a proprietary connector on other end
- Wrist strap
- Cleaning brush
- Nikon ViewNX2 Software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Important Notices on Waterproof
- AC Cord Requirements (for MH-65)
- 10.1-megapixel effective recording
- 2.7" LCD screen (230,000 dots)
- 3X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 29-87mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- waterproof to depths of 16.4 feet
- shockproof up to 3.9 feet
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
- electronic vibration reduction minimizes blur from shaky hands
- macro mode lets you get as close as 2 inches from your subject for extreme close-ups
- adjustable-brightness display for reviewing photos outside
- scene modes and creative editing let you add pre- and post-shot effects
- face detection and smile timer for portrait framing and automatic shutter release when subject smiles
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-3/16"W x 2-9/16"H x 1-11/16"D
- weight: 6.6 oz. (with battery and memory card)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- cleaning brush
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix S31 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.7"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||29-87mm|
|Internal Memory||26 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.9" CCD|
|Highest Resolution||3648 x 2736|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S31 can go anywhere with you. Built to withstand trips to the pool or playground, it is waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof. It has a big 2.7" LCD monitor, a 3x wide angle zoom lens, and a 10.1 MP image sensor for shooting still images and HD movies.
2.7" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S31 has a 2.7" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 230,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The LCD monitor has approximately 97% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% coverage in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S31 features a 1/2.9" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 10.34-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 10.1-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S31 digital camera uses a 3x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.1-12.3mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 29-87mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 12x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 348mm lens (35mm format).
Waterproof-Shockproof-Dustproof: The S31 is designed for extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: rated equivalent to IEC/JIS waterproof class 8 (IPX8) for shooting images underwater at a depth of 5 meters (16.4 feet) for up to 60 minutes.
- Shockproof: rated compliant with MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock (drop test from a height of 3.9 feet onto a 2 inch thick plywood panel).
- Dustproof: rated equivalent with JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X)
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S31 offers Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) and Motion Detection. Vibration Reduction reduces blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. Slight hand movements causes blurred photos, especially when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S31 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S31 has a built-in 26 MB internal memory.
File Formats: The Coolpix S31 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in AVI format (Motion JPEG compliant). You have a choice of three still image size options and two movie options:
- Still Images:
- 10M: 3648 x 2736
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- Movies (30 frames per second)
- Large (720p): 1280 x 720
- Small (640): 640 x 480
Note: The maximum movie length for a single movie is 29 minutes or 4 GB file size.
Flexible Buttons: The S31 has four Flexible Buttons down the left side of the monitor. You can select items in the shooting mode or playback mode according to the icon in the display adjacent to each button.
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Flexible Buttons, you can select a shooting mode that is suited to the scene. You can select:
- Point and Shoot: The camera automatically determines the scene and selects the optimal settings, allowing you to take pictures with ease.
- Using the Flash: Select from Auto Flash, Always Fire Flash, and Flash Off. Flash range is 1'-8" to 11' in Wide Angle and 1'-8" to 6'-6" in Telephoto.
- Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second self-timer for self-portraits or to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button. With the Smile Timer activated, the camera can detect human faces and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected.
- Scene: After choosing a shooting scene or effect, the camera automatically optimizes the settings for the selected scene. Choose from: Shoot Close-ups, Shoot at Intervals, Take a Series of Pictures, Mirror, Create a Diorama effect, Photograph food, Shoot under water, Photograph Fireworks, and Take Soft Pictures.
- Decorate: Add a frame around your images when taking pictures. Seven different frames are available.
- Change Colors: Select Brighter/darker, More Vivid/less vivid, or Highlight colors.
- Settings: You can select Change Sounds, Choose a Size, or Camera Settings
Movie Button: The S31 has a dedicated Movie Record button on the top of the camera to let you start recording movies at any time.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 7 images along the bottom of the screen (the currently select image is displayed in the top 3/4 of the monitor). You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include:
- Have Fun With Pictures: Select playback functions such as Exchange Messages, Picture Play and Make Photo Albums
- View: Select from Favorites, Slide Show (still images), or View Movie (movies)
- Erase: You can delete current, selected, or all images
- Settings: Selections include More Playback Options (view by date or view favorites), Print Order/retouch, and Camera settings (Welcome Screen, Date and Time, or Brightness).
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S31 is powered by the EN-EL12 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (supplied). The battery is charged using the supplied MH-65 Battery Charger. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 260 shots or 2 hours of movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 2.5 hours.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for a while. If no operations are performed for another 3 minutes, the camera turns itself off.
AC Adapter: The camera can be powered using ordinary household AC current with the optional EH-62F AC adapter.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable or an optional Audio Video cable. This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using the optional EG-CP14 Audio Video cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
ViewNX2: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software is provided on CD-ROM, and contains the following applications:
- ViewNX 2: (consists of three modules below)
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
- Panorama Maker: for creating a single panorama photo using a series of separate images.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- MAC: OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.