Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S32
13-megapixel waterproof/shockproof digital camera (White)
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S32 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Nikon Coolpix S32 is easy to use, and the large viewscreen lets you see what you're shooting in full color.
A camera built for fun
Sure, you can use your smartphone to take snapshots at the pool or on a hiking trip, but what happens if you drop it? Catastrophe. Not so with the Nikon Coolpix S32, which is waterproof down to 33 feet and shockproof from a five-foot drop. Don't be afraid to take it out for a day of sledding, either — this camera earns the Coolpix name with cold tolerance down to 14 degrees. It's made to capture sharp, clear pictures when you're out where the fun is. It's even got a self-timer so you can get into the picture.
It's a video camera, too
Still photos are great, but there are some moments — first steps, soccer games, etc. — that beg to be recorded in full motion. The S32 can do that. It's a full HD video camera (1080p), which means you get excellent video quality. Record the action, then use an optional micro HDMI cable to connect to an HDTV and watch your adventures come alive. A built-in mic records high-quality stereo sound to go along with your videos.
Anyone can use it
The Coolpix S32 has plenty of features, but it's not overly complicated to use. It has oversized buttons that respond to hands of all sizes, and you won't have to adjust any settings to get great shots — just point and shoot. Important functions like focus, white balance and exposure length can be set to automatic so you get a great-looking photo without having to labor over it. Special scene modes help capture flawless images of fireworks, night scenes, underwater fun, and more.
Sold at a great price, free fast shipping and includes free floating strap.
Ben, California, MD
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (white)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh) in a plastic case
- EH-70P AC adapter (5V 0.55A)
- O Ring cleaning brush
- 24" UC-E16 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and a proprietary USB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- User's Manual (En Sp Fr)
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Important Safety Instructions (for AC adapter)
- 13-megapixel CMOS sensor records sharp, clear images
- water- and shock-proof body is ready to go on adventures
- records full HD (1920 x 1080) video
- 2.7" (230,000-dot) LCD screen with anti-glare coating and adjustable brightness
- 3X optical zoom Nikkor lens
- autofocus with face detection keeps track of human subjects for clear portraits
- 25MB internal memory
- records to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- ISO sensitivity from 100-1600 for noise-free photos in many types of light
- built-in scene modes automatically adjust settings for underwater shooting, fireworks, night scenes, close ups and more
- auto white balance modes help avoid over- or under-exposure on bright or cloudy days
- self-timer lets you get into group shots
- continuous shooting mode captures motion at 4.7 frames per second
- built-in flash helps illuminate subjects
- connect to mobile devices and computers via built-in micro USB and micro HDMI ports
- 1/4" tripod socket
- 4-1/4"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-5/8"D
- weight: 6.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Nikon Coolpix S32 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.7"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||30-90mm|
|Internal Memory||25 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/3.1" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4160 x 3120|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S32 can go anywhere with you. Built to withstand trips to the pool or playground, it is waterproof and shockproof. It has a big 2.7" LCD monitor, a 3x wide angle zoom lens, and a 13.2 MP image sensor for shooting still images and HD movies.
2.7" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S32 has a 2.7" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 230,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The LCD monitor has approximately 96% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% coverage in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S32 features a 1/3.1" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 14.17-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 13.2-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S32 digital camera uses a 3x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.1-12.3mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 30-90mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 12x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 360mm lens (35mm format).
Waterproof-Shockproof-Dustproof: The S32 is designed for extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: rated equivalent to IEC/JIS waterproof class 8 (IPX8) for shooting images underwater at a depth of 10 meters (33 feet) for up to 60 minutes.
- Shockproof: rated compliant with MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock (drop test from a height of 3.9 feet onto a 2 inch thick plywood panel).
- Dustproof: rated equivalent with JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X)
Note: A brush is included to help you clean the waterproof seals surrounding the battery chamber/memory card slot cover.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S32 offers Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) and Motion Detection. Vibration Reduction reduces blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. Slight hand movements causes blurred photos, especially when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S32 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S32 has a built-in 25 MB internal memory.
File Formats: The Coolpix S32 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in AVI format (Motion JPEG compliant). You have a choice of three still image size options and two movie options:
- Still Images:
- 13M: 4160 x 3120
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- Full HD: 1920 x 1080/30p
- VGA: 640 x 480/30p or 15p
Note: The maximum movie length for a single movie is 29 minutes or 4 GB file size.
Flexible Buttons: The S32 has four Flexible Buttons down the left side of the monitor. You can select items in the shooting mode or playback mode according to the icon in the display adjacent to each button.
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Flexible Buttons, you can select a shooting mode that is suited to the scene. You can select:
- Point and Shoot: The camera automatically determines the scene and selects the optimal settings, allowing you to take pictures with ease.
- Using the Flash: Select from Auto Flash, Always Fire Flash, and Flash Off. Flash range is 1' to 10' in Wide Angle and 2' to 5'-6" in Telephoto.
- Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second self-timer for self-portraits or to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button. With the Smile Timer activated, the camera can detect human faces and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected.
- Scene: After choosing a shooting scene or effect, the camera automatically optimizes the settings for the selected scene. Choose from: Shoot night scenes, Shoot Close-ups, Photograph food, Shoot at Intervals, Shoot under water, Take a Series of Pictures, Photograph Fireworks, Shoot backlit scenes, Mirror, Add a Bubble effect, Add a Neon effect, Add a Cartoon effect, Take Soft Pictures, and Create a Diorama effect.
- Decorate: Add a frame around your images when taking pictures. Nine different frames are available.
- Change Colors: Select Brighter/darker, More Vivid/less vivid, or Highlight colors.
- Settings: You can select Change Sounds, Choose a Size, or Camera Settings
Movie Button: The S32 has a dedicated Movie Record button on the top of the camera to let you start recording movies at any time.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 7 images along the bottom of the screen (the currently select image is displayed in the top 3/4 of the monitor). You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include:
- Have Fun With Pictures: Select playback functions such as Exchange Messages*, Picture Play and Grading
- View: Select from View by date, Slide Show (still images), or View Movie (movies)
- Erase: You can delete current, selected, or all images
- Settings: Selections include Retouch, Print Order, and Camera settings (Welcome Screen, Date and Time, or Brightness).
* Voice messages of up to 20 seconds (WAV format) can be attached to images.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S32 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. The battery is charged inside the camera in approximately 2 hours 35 minutes when connected to the EH-70P Charging AC adapter via the supplied USB cable. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 220 shots or 1 hour 35 minutes of movie recording on one charge.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for a while. If no operations are performed for another 3 minutes, the camera turns itself off.
AC Adapter: The camera can be powered using ordinary household AC current with the optional EH-62G AC adapter.
HDMI Output: The S32 has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to a TV. The HDMI output is automatically set to 1080i, 720p, or 480p, depending upon the capability of the connected TV.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable or an optional Audio Video cable. This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using the optional EG-CP14 Audio Video cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
ViewNX2: The Nikon S32 comes with no software in the package. Nikon ViewNX 2 can be downloaded from the Internet. It contains the following applications:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
System Requirements: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows XP (SP3)
- MAC: OS X 10.7.5, 10.8.5, 10.9
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
The Coolpix S32 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. The battery is charged inside the camera in approximately 2 hours 35 minutes when connected to the EH-70P Charging AC adapter via the supplied USB cable. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 220 shots or 1 hour 35 minutes of movie recording on one charge. [ Krissy Mar 16, 2014 ] Staff