Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S4300
16-megapixel digital camera with 6X optical zoom (Black)
Item # 054S4300K | MFR # 26305
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S4300 by Crutchfield's Meredith Krebs
Take your photos to the next level
Cell phone photos are easy and fun, but they can look terrible when you try to blow them up. Why not up your game with a camera that's almost as small as your phone? The Nikon Coolpix S4300 has friendly features like a 3" LCD touchscreen, but also comes with performance-minded perks like a high-quality 6X optical Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens that will allow you to take the kinds of photos you'll treasure forever.
Optical image stabilization helps to steady your shots and keep them sharp when you're shooting hand-held. The camera alerts you if one of your friends blinks while you shoot, so you can try again, or you can set it to take a picture only when your friend is smiling. The in-camera editing functions let you correct the "red-eye" effect and brighten dark shadows before you print your pictures. And if you want to shoot a video for YouTube, you can switch over with just a touch of a button and start capturing HD footage.
It was actually a gift. He has enjoyed it and slowly figuring it out. But all in all. He really likes it.
K3, Baton Rouge, LA
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V / 700 mAh / 2.6 Wh) in plastic storage case
- EH-69P AC adapter (5V / 0.55A)
- TP-1 Stylus pen
- Wrist strap
- 59" EG-CP14 Audio video cable (with proprietary plug on one end and composite video/mono audio RCA plugs on the other end)
- 5' UC-E6 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary plug on the other end)
- Nikon ViewNX2 Software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Programs sheet
- For Your Safety sheet
- My Picturetown sheet
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 6X optical zoom (4X digital/24X total zoom)
- 3" LCD touchscreen
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 26-156mm
- optical image stabilization
- scene selection mode automatically recognizes the type of shot you compose and adjusts camera settings to suit
- face priority autofocus and blink alert for better portraits
- smile mode automatically snaps the shutter when the camera detects a smiling subject
- in-camera automatic red-eye correction
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720p resolution)
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 3-7/8"W x 2-7/16"H x 13/16"D
- weight (with battery and media): 5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- battery charger
- audio/video and USB cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix S4300 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||26-156mm|
|Internal Memory||74 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CCD|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
3" LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Nikon Coolpix S4300 has a 3" TFT LCD touchscreen monitor featuring approximately 460,000 dots, an anti-reflection coating and a five-level brightness adjustment. The touchscreen allows you to intuitively navigate settings and camera modes using your finger or the supplied stylus pen. The LCD monitor has approximately 98% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% coverage in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S4300 features a 1/2.3" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.44-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S4300 digital camera uses a 6x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. Every aspect of the lens manufacturing process is controlled by Nikon. The Nikkor lens is designed for the specific camera and image sensor combination. The Coolpix S4300 uses a 6x wide-angle optical zoom lens, that is equivalent to a 26-156mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 24x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of approximately 624mm lens (35mm format).
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S4300 offers an optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Stabilization System. Vibration Reduction reduces blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. Slight hand movements causes blurred photos, especially when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in. The camera utilizes lens shift technology to reduce the effect of camera shake.
File Formats: The Coolpix S4300 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in AVI format (Motion JPEG-compliant). You have a choice of seven still image size options and three movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (high quality 1:4 compression ratio)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (standard quality 1:8 compression ratio)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- VGA: 640 x 480
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592
- Movies (Frame Rate 30 fps):
- HD 720p: 1280 x 720
- VGA: 640 x 480
- QVGA: 320 x 240
Note: The maximum movie length for a single movie is 29 minutes, or 2 GB file size.
Built-in Memory: The camera has a built-in 74 MB internal memory for storing still images and movies with sound.
Recording Media: In addition to the built-in memory, images can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards. When an SD Memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. When no card is inserted, the images automatically record to the internal memory. The camera can support 2 GB SD cards, SDHC cards from 4 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards of 64 GB and 128 GB.
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: A "point-and-shoot" mode with some user adjustments to suit the shooting conditions and type of shot you want to capture.
- Scene Mode: You can manually or automatically select a scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation: Scene Auto Selector, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up, Food, Museum, Fireworks Show, Black & White Copy, Draw, Backlighting, Panorama Assist, and Pet Portrait. You can increase or decrease the effects of the Food, Landscape, Close-up, Sunset, and Dusk/Dawn scene modes.
- Special Effects Mode: You can choose from the following six effects: Soft, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast Monochrome, High Key, Low Key, and Selective Color.
- Smart Portrait: When the camera detects a smiling face, you can take a picture automatically without pressing the shutter-release button (smile timer). The Skin Softening option can smooth the skin tones in faces.
Continuous Shooting: In the continuous shooting mode, you can select in the menu from the following options:
- Single: One picture is taken each time the shutter-release button is pressed.
- Continuous: Takes up to 6 pictures at about 1.3 frames per second while the shutter button is held down. Image size is set to 4608 x 3456.
- Best Shot Selector: Camera captures up to 10 images while the shutter release is held down, and the sharpest image in the series is selected and saved.
- Multi-shot 16: Camera takes 16 shots at about 30 fps and arranges them in a single image of 2560 x 1920.
Color Options: With the following color options, you can make colors more vivid, or save images in monochrome:
- Standard Color: images in natural color
- Vivid Color: to achieve a vivid "photoprint" effect
- Black-and-White: save images in black-and-white
- Sepia: save images in sepia tones
- Cyanotype: save images in cyan-blue monochrome
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second and 2 second timer for self-portraits. In addition, the camera can use face detection to detect human faces, and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected (Smile Timer).
AF Area Mode: You can select between the following AF Area Modes to determine where the camera focuses.
- Face Priority: When the camera recognizes a face (front view only), the camera will focus on the face automatically. The camera can recognize up to 9 faces depending on shooting and exposure mode. This is the default setting.
- Auto: The camera automatically selects the focus area (up to 9) containing the subject closest to the camera.
- Manual: You can manually select one of 99 focus areas in the monitor. This method is handy when the intended subject is not positioned in the center of the frame, and is relatively still.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
- Subject Tracking: For taking pictures of moving subjects. The camera moves the focus area automatically to track the registered subject within the frame.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 2". This feature is best for taking close-up pictures of flowers or other small subjects.
Focus Lock: The Focus Lock feature is used to focus on off-centered subjects in the frame while shooting in Center AF mode.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 6'-2" at the maximum wide-angle position and 3'-7" at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off.
Blink Warning Function: The Blink Warning function is available when you are shooting in Face Priority mode. When the camera detects that one or more human subjects may have blinked, the blink warning screen is displayed. The subject is framed by a yellow border, allowing you to check the picture and decide whether or not to take another picture.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
- Auto: Sensitivity is set to ISO 80 when there is sufficient lighting, and raises the sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 1600 when lighting is dim.
- Fixed Range Auto: Select from two ranges in which the camera automatically sets the sensitivity: ISO 80-400, or ISO 80 to 800.
- Manual: Sensitivity is locked at the set value: ISO 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, or 3200.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset White Balance and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix S4300 has a built-in flash with a range of 1'-8" to 14' (Wide angle) and 1'-8" to 7'-10" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Flash Off: Flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
In-Camera Red-Eye Fix: If the camera detects red-eye after the pre-flash has fired, advanced red-eye reduction processing is used to further reduce red-eye, slightly increasing the time required before the next picture can be taken.
AF Modes: When shooting still images or movies you can choose between two auto-focus modes:
- Single AF: The camera focuses when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway and locks at this position during recording.
- Full-time AF: The camera constantly adjusts focus, even when the shutter-release button is not pressed.
Voice Recording: Audio voice memos for pictures can be recorded over the camera's built-in microphone and played back over the unit's built-in speaker. Memos can be up to 20 seconds in length, and are stored as WAV files.
Copy: You can internally copy images and voice recordings between the camera's internal memory and an inserted SD card.
Slide Show Playback: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show with 2, 3, 5, or 10 seconds between pictures. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, or 16) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
Editing Picture: You can use the Coolpix S4300 to edit recorded pictures in-camera and store them as separate files. You can choose from the following editing functions:
- Paint: Using the supplied stylus pen, you can draw on images or add decorations to images.
- Quick Retouch: Quick Retouch can be used to easily create retouched copies in which contrast and saturation have been enhanced.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Glamour Retouch: The camera recognizes faces in pictures and creates a copy with softer facial skin tones.
- Perspective Control: You can adjust the perspective of pictures taken in landscape orientation, or apply perspective control similar to that available with shift lenses.
- Filter Effects: You can apply the following effects: Soft, Selective color, Cross Screen, Fisheye, Miniature Effect, and Painting.
- Small Picture (Resizing): You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:16. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
- Crop: Create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 29 different menu display languages including English, Spanish or French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card by using the Print Set option in the playback menu. Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and how many copies to print. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: insert the memory card into a printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab (images stored in the internal memory need to be transferred to a memory card prior to printing).
- PictBridge-compatible Printer: connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer via USB cable
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them via USB
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S4300 is powered by a supplied rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (EN-EL19). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-69P AC adapter and UC-E6 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 180 shots or 1 hour 15 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 2 hours 30 minutes.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
USB/Audio-Video Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied AV or USB cable. This one output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or view your photos on a TV using the supplied AV cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The video output is NTSC or PAL compatible.
Software Suite CD-ROM: The supplied ViewNX 2 CD-ROM contains the following software:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing your images and movies on the computer
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies.
- Panorama Maker 6: for creating panoramic images from the camera's recorded still images
- QuickTime (Windows Only)
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows 7: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 1)
- Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP: Home Edition, Professional (Service Pack 3)
- MAC OS X Versions: 10.5.8, 10.6.8, 10.7.2
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.