Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S6500
16-megapixel digital camera with 12X optical zoom and Wi-Fi® (Black)
Item # 054S6500K | MFR # 26371
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S6500 by Crutchfield's David Brown
How did they fit so much into this tiny camera?
Nikon has packed a lot of features and value into the compact Coolpix S6500. This 16-megapixel camera has an impressive optical zoom range of 12X, so you can get in tight on distant subjects. And the backlit CMOS sensor excels in low-light settings, so even when shooting conditions aren't bright, your photos' details will pop without looking grainy or washed out. Twenty preset scene modes help optimize the S6500 for almost any shooting conditions, or Auto mode can make all the exposure settings for you on the fly.
Built-in Wi-Fi for fast and easy photo sharing
The Coolpix S6500 also adds built-in Wi-Fi to the mix, so photo sharing is easy without tracking down cables and connecting to computers. Just download Nikon's free wireless mobile app on your Apple® or Android™ device, and you can instantly send photos to your compatible smartphone or tablet to email to friends and upload to social networking sites.
Full HD video
Your homemade videos will look their best thanks to the S6500's full-HD resolution, for 1080p performance that will look great not just on this camera's 3-inch LCD display, but even on your HDTV. Just pick up a micro HDMI cable and you can share your video and stills on the big screen with family and friends.
Glamour Retouch for flawless portraits
We all like to look our best. And the Coolpix S6500 can help with built-in Glamour Retouch editing. Flatter your subjects with beautiful portraits thanks to teeth whitening, face brightening, skin softening and other touch-up effects. You can even minimize wrinkles and make tired eyes look refreshed, so people will be happy to pose when you take aim with this point-and-shoot.
This camera is very lightweight and easy to use. Pretty much point and shoot
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (black)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh) in a plastic case
- EH-70P AC adapter (DC output: 5V 0.55A)
- 59" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary USB connector on other end)
- 48" AV cable (proprietary connector on one end and composite video and stereo audio RCA plugs on other end)
- Wrist strap
- ViewNX2 software CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Important Safety Instructions (for AC adapter)
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 12X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-300mm
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- backlight-illuminated CMOS sensor for detailed, low-noise photos in low light
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless sharing and uploading of photos with a smartphone
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction for blur-free photos
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 3200) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- panorama mode stitches photos together for a 360° or 180° view
- face priority autofocus for better portraits
- built-in editing features include Glamour Retouch for improving portraits by whitening teeth, brightening faces, etc.
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- 20 scene modes including Night Portrait, Snow, and Beach
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- USB port and A/V output
- 3-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-1/16"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 5.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable battery and AC charging adapter
- USB and A/V cables
- wrist strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix S6500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-300mm|
|Internal Memory||25 MB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S6500 allows you to create beautiful photos and Full HD videos and instantly share them right from your camera using the built-in Wi-Fi.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S6500 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 460,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The monitor has a 99% horizontal and vertical frame coverage for shooting and playback. You can adjust the brightness of the monitor from -2 to +2.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S6500 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.79-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S6500 uses a 12x NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.5-54mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 25-300mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 48x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 1200mm lens (35mm format).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 11 yards, and a data rate of up to 20 Mbps. The camera's Wi-Fi capability can be used with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, or smart devices running on the Android operating system. The Wireless Mobile Utility application must be installed on the device. When you are connected to a wireless LAN, you can take your photos and videos and email them to friends, post them on Facebook, upload them to my Picturetown, or wirelessly transfer them to your laptop. Once you have backed up your memory card contents to your computer, you can delete them and resume shooting right away.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S6500 offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. The camera uses the lens-shift method of Vibration Reduction.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S6500 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S6500 has a built-in 25MB internal memory for saving images.
File Formats: The Coolpix S6500 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: H.264; Audio: AAC stereo). You have a choice of seven still image size options and eight movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M (high image quality): 4608 x 3456 (1:4 compression)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:8)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (1:8)
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592 (1:8)
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080/30p: Bit Rate: 18 Mbps
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080/30p: Bit Rate: 12 Mbps
- HD 720p 1280 x 720/30p: Bit Rate: 9 Mbps
- iFrame 540 960 x 540/30p: Bit Rate: 24 Mbps
- VGA 640 x 480/30p: Bit Rate: 2.9 Mbps
- HS Movies:
- HS 480/4x: 1/4x speed playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 40 sec)
- HS 720/2x: 1/2x speed playback (record up to 30 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 1080/0.5x: 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Menu, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: Used for general photography; allows you to adjust a variety of settings to suit the conditions.
- Scene: You can select a scene with settings optimized for that type of scene: Scene Auto Selector, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Night landscape, Close-up, Food, Museum, Fireworks show, Black & White Copy, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Pet portrait and 3D Photography.
- Special Effects: You can apply the following effects to images during shooting: Soft, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast monochrome, High key, Low key, Selective color, Pop, Super Vivid, Painting, Toy Camera effect (1 & 2), and Cross Process.
- Smart Portrait: Camera detects human faces and automatically releases the shutter when they smile. A skin softening option makes faces smoother.
3D Photography: With 3D Photography (in the Scene Shooting Mode), the camera captures one image for each eye to simulate a three-dimensional image on a 3D-compatible TV or monitor. After taking the first image, you can move the camera horizontally to align the subject with the guide in the monitor. The camera takes the second image automatically when it detects that they are aligned. 3D images are saved in the MPO format.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second self-timer for self-portraits or a 2-second to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 3'-4" to 13' (Wide angle) and 5" to 6'-6" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, Auto (with Red-eye reduction), Fill Flash, Slow Sync, and Off.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 4, 9, or 16 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include: Quick Retouch, D-Lighting, Glamour Retouch, Print Order, Slide Show, Protect, Rotate Image, Small Picture, Voice Memo, and Copy (between internal memory and memory card).
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S6500 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V, 700mAh, 2.6Wh). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-70P AC adapter and UC-E6 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 150 shots or 25 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 3 hours, using the AC adapter and 3 hours 15 minutes when charging while connected to a computer.
Power Saving Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, after several minutes of no operations, the monitor turns off and the camera enters the Standby mode. The Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix S6500 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV for still image and movie playback. The image resolution of the HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Digital/AV Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable or the supplied AV cable. This output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable, or connecting the camera to a TV (if you don't have an HDMI cable). The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible. The Video Mode can be set to NTSC or PAL.
ViewNX2: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software CD-ROM is provided with the camera. The ViewNX2 software disc contains the following applications:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
- Panorama Maker: for creating a single panorama image of a landscape, etc. from a series of images that each capture a separate portion of the subject.
Note: A 284-page Reference Manual is provided on a separate CD-ROM disc.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Macintosh: OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.