Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S6800
16-megapixel digital camera with 12X optical zoom and Wi-Fi® (Red)
Item # 054S6800R | MFR # 26443
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S6800 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Point, shoot, and share
You've just taken a beautiful photo at the beach with the Nikon Coolpix S6800. You can't wait to make your friends back home envious. Fortunately, you don't have to. The free Nikon app for your smartphone lets the Wi-Fi capable S6800 automatically transfer images wirelessly to your device. By the time you've put down your camera and picked up your phone, the image will be ready to email to friends or post to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. And because you took the photo with the S6800's Nikkor optical zoom lens and 16-megapixel sensor, your friends will get to see every glorious detail of the beach vacation they're missing out on.
1080p HD video
You'll want to document your vacation with more than just still shots. The S6800 doubles as a video camera, shooting full-HD video with optical and digital image stabilization working to keep your movies smooth and shake-free. When you get home, don't settle for showing these videos on the camera's 3-inch LCD display. Grab a micro-HDMI cable, connect the camera to your HDTV, and make your friends watch as you frolic in the sand on the big screen.
Easy, fun features
You don't need to study the manual to take great shots with the Coolpix S6800. Just leave the camera on Scene Auto Selector mode, and it will do all the work for you by optimizing settings for your shooting environment. Try Nikon's Dynamic Fine Zoom to double the camera's zoom range digitally with minimal image degradation. After you've captured some shots, you can apply cool effects before transferring them to your smartphone or computer. Experiment with Glamour Retouch to improve portraits by softening skin and fixing red eye. Or play with color filters to create black and white or sepia-tinged shots.
Solid camera. Takes great photos and video. I haven't played with the wifi yet but seems legit.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (red)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery in plastic case (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh)
- EH-71P AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1A)
- 36" UC-E21 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary USB connector on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Programs sheet
- Important Safety Instructions (for AC adapter)
- 16-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 12X optical zoom (up to 4X digital zoom)
- 3" LCD screen (460,000 dots)
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-300mm
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless image transfer to smartphones and tablets (requires free Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility app for Apple® and Android™)
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution) with stereo sound
- continuous shooting lets you shoot up to 9.4 frames per second in full resolution (up to 7 shots)
- scene auto selector automatically optimizes camera settings for your shooting environment
- optical image stabilization reduces blur from shaky hands
- Dynamic Fine Zoom combines optical and precision digital zoom for up to 24X zoom with minimal image degradation
- Best Shot Selector snaps several quick shots with a single press of the shutter button, so you can choose the best photo
- face priority autofocus and blink alert for better portraits
- smile mode automatically snaps the shutter when the camera detects a smiling subject
- Glamour Retouch offers skin softening, red-eye fix, and teeth whitening for improving portraits
- 18 scene modes include Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, and Beach
- Motion Detection recognizes fast motion and automatically increases shutter speed and sensitivity (ISO) for sharper photos
- anti-reflective coating on LCD reduces glare when viewing photos outside
- built-in flash
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- high-speed USB interface
- 3-15/16"W x 2-5/16"H x 15/16"D
- weight: 5.2 ounces
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and charging station
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Nikon Coolpix S6800 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-300mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S6800 allows you to create beautiful 16-megapixel photos and Full HD videos and instantly share them right from your camera using the built-in Wi-Fi.
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix S6800 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 460,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The monitor has a 99% horizontal and vertical frame coverage for shooting and playback. You can adjust the brightness of the monitor from -2 to +2.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S6800 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.76-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S6800 uses a 12x NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.5-54mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 25-300mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 48x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 1200mm lens (35mm format).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 33 feet (10 meters), and a data rate of up to 20 Mbps. The camera's Wi-Fi capability can be used with many iOS and Android devices. The Wireless Mobile Utility application must be installed on the device. When you are connected to a wireless LAN, you can take your photos and videos and email them to friends, post them on Facebook, upload them to my Picturetown, or wirelessly transfer them to your laptop. Once you have backed up your memory card contents to your computer, you can delete them and resume shooting right away. You can also remotely release the camera shutter using your portable device.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S6800 offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. The camera uses the lens-shift method of Vibration Reduction for still pictures. When recording movies, the camera uses lens-shift and Electronic Vibration Reduction.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S6800 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S6800 has a built-in 25MB internal memory for saving images.
File Formats: The Coolpix S6800 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: H.264/MPEG-4; Audio: LPCM stereo). You have a choice of eight still image size options and eight movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M (high image quality): 4608 x 3456 (1:4 compression)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:8)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (1:8)
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592 (1:8)
- 1:1: 3456 x 3456 (1:8)
- HD 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080
- HD 1080/30i 1920 x 1080
- HD 720/30p: 1280 x 720
- iFrame 720/30p: 1280 x 720
- VGA 480/30p: 640 x 480
- HS Movies:
- HS 480/4x: 640 x 480; 1/4x speed playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 40 sec)
- HS 720/2x: 1280 x 720; 1/2x speed playback (record up to 30 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 1080/0.5x: 1920 x 1080; 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: A "point-and-shoot" mode with some user adjustments to suit the shooting conditions and type of shot you want to capture.
- Scene Auto Selector: The camera automatically selects the optimum scene mode when you frame an image. The camera selects from: Portrait (close up of one or two people), Portrait (three or more people), Landscape, Night Portrait (one or two people), Night Portrait (three or more people), Night Landscape, Close-up, Backlighting (for subjects other than people), Backlighting (for taking portraits of people), and Other Scenes.
- Scene Mode: You can manually select a scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation: Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up, Food, Museum, Fireworks Show, Black & White Copy, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, and Pet Portrait.
- Special Effects Mode: You can choose from the following six effects: Soft, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast Monochrome, High Key, Low Key, Selective Color, Pop, Super Vivid, Painting, Toy Camera Effects 1 & 2, Cross Process, and Mirror.
- Smart Portrait: When the camera detects a smiling face, you can take a picture automatically without pressing the shutter-release button (smile timer). The Skin Softening option can smooth the skin tones in faces.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second self-timer for self-portraits or a 2-second to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 1'-8" to 9'-2" (Wide angle) and 1'-8" to 4'-11" (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, Auto (with Red-eye reduction), Fill Flash, Slow Sync, and Off.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 4, 9, or 16 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include: Quick Retouch, D-Lighting, Red-eye Correction, Glamour Retouch, Print Order, Slide Show, Protect, Rotate Image, Small Picture, Voice Memo, and Copy (between internal memory and memory card), Sequence Play options, Choose Key picture, Favorite Pictures, and Remove from Favorites.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S6800 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V, 700mAh, 2.6Wh). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-71P AC adapter and UC-E21 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 170 shots or 35 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 1 hour 50 minutes using the AC adapter and 3 hours when charging while connected to a computer.
Power Saving Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, after several minutes of no operations, the monitor turns off and the camera enters the Standby mode. The Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix S6800 has a micro-HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV for still image and movie playback. The image resolution of the HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Digital I/O Terminal: The camera features a Micro USB jack for connecting the supplied USB cable. This output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible.
ViewNX 2: The Coolpix S6800 does not include software for organizing your photos. Nikon's ViewNX 2 software can be downloaded from the Nikon website:
- ViewNX 2: The software includes the following
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing your images and movies on the computer
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies.
System Requirements: The ViewNX 2 software will work with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Mac: OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
Hey, this is Barbara. I have had several Nikon point & shoot cameras over the years and have always loved them. They are very reliable, take great pictures & are very easy to use. I love the menu options that give you access to many different effects. The battery life has been good so far. The nikon software is a good program for a pc - but I have a mac computer & usually use the iphoto program. I think your 12 year old will really enjoy having this camera. [ ROBERT Oct 22, 2014 ]
Yes, I do. It is fairly simple to use and convient to carry with her. She will enjoy the various settings on it. Also, the folks at Crutchfield will help her. They are great. [ MARILYN Oct 22, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Aug 05, 2014 ] Staff