Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon Coolpix S800c
16-megapixel digital camera with 10X optical zoom and Wi-Fi® (White)
Item # 054S800CW | MFR # 26356
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon Coolpix S800c by Crutchfield's David Brown
You have a smart phone. Now get a smart camera.
Most of us take pictures with our smartphones — not because they take great photos, but because they make photo-sharing so much easier than uploading snapshots to a computer. Nikon has flipped this equation around with the Coolpix S800c. It's a compact point-and-shoot camera with smartphone-like Wi-Fi functionality. You can snap a photo and instantly upload it to Facebook or email it to friends, as long as you're connected to a Wi-Fi network. Leave that USB cable in the drawer and wirelessly transfer pictures to your computer for instant backup.
Download apps from Google Play™ with the S800c's Android operating system (white model shown).
The first camera with Android™
The S800c is much more than a camera. Its smart functions are powered by Android, so you can download apps from Google Play™. This opens up a whole new world of imaging possibilities, with hundreds of photo apps at your fingertips. Not to mention, you can check email, surf the web and play games. The OLED touchscreen makes navigation fast and intuitive. It's also a great way to review the 1080p high definition videos you can record and share wirelessly.
Built-in GPS keeps track of your travels
Keep track of your entire European vacation or cross-country road trip right on your camera. With built-in GPS, you'll never find yourself wondering where you were when you took that photo. Geotag your shots and avoid those arguments with your travel companion about where you saw that beautiful sunset or where you had that fabulous meal. Lightweight and compact, this powerful "smart camera" is easy to take everywhere and even harder to put down.
Great-looking photos are not just an afterthought
While packed with exciting features like Wi-Fi and Android, the S800c is first and foremost a Nikon camera built for taking great photos. With a 16-megapixel CMOS sensor, the S800c can take sharp snapshots even when the lighting is less than ideal. Zoom in for extreme close-ups with 10X optical zoom while Nikon's optical image stabilization ensures your hands don't have to be completely motionless to capture blur-free photos. Don't know the meaning of "aperture" or "ISO"? Don't worry — choose from 17 different scene modes that'll help you get the right shot for your subject and setting.
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera (white)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7 V/1050 mAh/3.9 Wh)
- EH-69P AC adapter (5V/0.55A)
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and a proprietary USB connector on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp/Por)
- Warranty Programs Form
- my Picturetown info sheet
- About Open Source Software sheet
- Notes About Using Wi-Fi
- 16-megapixel effective recording
- 10X optical zoom (up to 4X digital/40X total zoom)
- 3.5" OLED touchscreen (819,000 dots)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 25-250mm
- Android 2.3 operating system for access to apps on Google Play
- records photos and video onto optional SD or SDHC memory cards or internal memory
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless sharing and backing up of photos
- built-in GPS for tagging photos with location information
- optical image stabilization and electronic vibration reduction for blur-free photos
- variable ISO (film speed equivalent) settings including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 3200) for low-light and flash-free shooting
- face priority autofocus with smile shutter and blink alert for better portraits
- in-camera automatic red-eye correction
- built-in filter effects including Fisheye and Nostalgic Sepia for creating stylized photos
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution)
- 17 scene modes including Easy Panorama, Night Landscape and Sunset
- built-in flash
- 1.7 GB internal memory
Connections and Dimensions:
- mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- USB port
- 4-7/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-1/16"D
- weight (with battery and optional SD card): 6.5 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery and charging station
- USB cable
- shoulder strap
- software CD-ROM
Nikon Coolpix S800c Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.5"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||25-250mm|
|Internal Memory||1.7 GB|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.5|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix S800c allows you to create beautiful photos and Full HD videos and instantly share them right from your camera using the built-in Wi-Fi. In addition, the unit has a built-in GPS receiver, Bluetooth, and a large 3.5" LCD touchscreen monitor.
3.5" OLED Touchscreen Monitor: The Coolpix S800c has a huge 3.5" TFT OLED touchscreen monitor, featuring approximately 819,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. Similar to a smartphone or tablet, touch panel actions such as tapping, touching and holding, dragging, spreading/pinching, and flicking can be used to control most operations of the camera.
Note: There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix S800c features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.79-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix S800c uses a 10x NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.5-45mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 25-250mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 40x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 1000mm lens (35mm format).
Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 65 yards, and a data rate of up to 25 Mbps. When you are connected to a wireless LAN, you can take your photos and videos and email them to friends, post them on Facebook, upload them to my Picturetown, or wirelessly transfer them to your laptop. Once you have backed up your memory card contents to your computer, you can delete them and resume shooting right away.
Android Smart Device: The Coolpix S800c can operate on the Android Operating System (version 2.3.3), which means the camera can double as an Android smart device. You can download your favorite Android apps from Google Play, and use the 3.5" high-resolution touchscreen to check your email and Facebook, view photos and videos from your friends, browse the web, and stream music.
Built-in GPS: The Coolpix S800c has a built-in GPS receiver that allows you to attach location data to your photos. This data allows you to show exactly where every photo and video was taken.. You can share this information when you post photos to Facebook, or upload geotagged photos and movie files to Nikon's my Picturetown photo sharing site, Google Earth mapping service, and Nikon ViewNX 2 software.
Bluetooth: The camera features Bluetooth wireless technology (ver 2.1+EDR) to allow you to enjoy movies recorded with sound on a Bluetooth-compatible audio device, such as headphones. The Coolpix 800c supports A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile).
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix S800c offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. The camera can use the optical (lens-shift) method only or Hybrid VR. The Hybrid method combines optical vibration reduction with additional image processing with electronic vibration reduction to further reduce the effects of camera shake.
Recording Media: The Coolpix S800c uses SD and SDHC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the S800c has a built-in 1.7 GB internal memory for saving images.
Note: SDXC cards are not compatible. An additional 680 MB of internal memory is available for saving applications.
File Formats: The Coolpix S800c records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: H.264; Audio: AAC stereo). You have a choice of eight still image size options and eight movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M (high image quality): 4608 x 3456 (1:4 compression)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:8 compression)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8 compression)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8 compression)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8 compression)
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592 (1:8 compression)
- 16:9 2M: 1920 x 1080 (1:8 compression)
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080: Bit Rate: 14 Mbps
- HD 1080p 1920 x 1080: Bit Rate: 12 Mbps
- HD 720p 1280 x 720: Bit Rate: 9 Mbps
- VGA 640 x 480: Bit Rate: 3 Mbps
- High Speed Movie Options:
- HS 240 fps (320 x 240): 1/8 speed playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 80 sec)
- HS 120 fps (640 x 480): 1/4 speed playback (record up to 15 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 60 fps (1280 x 720): 1/2 speed playback (record up to 30 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 15 fps (1920 x 1080): 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Touchscreen Menu, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Easy Auto: The camera automatically selects the optimum shooting mode.
- Auto: Used for general photography; allows you to adjust a variety of settings to suit the conditions.
- Scene: You can select a scene with settings optimized for that type of scene: Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Night landscape, Close-up, Food, Fireworks show, Black & White, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, and Pet portrait.
- Special Effects: Choose from 5 different effects: Soft, Sepia, High Contrast Monochrome, High Key and Low Key.
- Smart Portrait: Camera detects human faces and automatically releases the shutter when they smile. A skin softening option makes faces smoother.
- Movie: Shoot movies with sound.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10-second self-timer for self-portraits or a 2-second to prevent camera shake caused by pressing the shutter release button.
Flash: The built-in flash has a range of 1'-8" to 18' (Wide angle) and 3'-4" to 10' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Auto, Auto (with Red-eye reduction), Fill Flash, Slow Sync, and Off.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 6, 12, or 20 images. You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include: Slide Show, Protect, Print Order, Retouch, and Copy (between internal memory and memory card).
Power Requirements: The Coolpix S800c is powered by a supplied rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (EN-EL12). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-69P AC adapter and UC-E6 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 140 shots or 40 minutes of HD movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 4 hours.
Standby Mode: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Standby mode greatly reduces power consumption. When the power switch is pressed, the camera enters Standby mode. Pressing the power switch again wakes up the camera for immediate recording or playback. After a certain amount of time, the camera turns off. You can set the shut down timer duration to 1 hour, 3 hours, 5 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, or Off.
HDMI: The Coolpix 800c has a mini-HDMI (Type C) output for connecting the camera to an HDTV for still image and movie playback. The image resolution of the HDMI output can be set to Auto, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.
Digital Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack for connecting the supplied USB cable. This output allows you to download your photos to your computer or printer via USB using the supplied USB cable. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible.
ViewNX2: The Nikon ViewNX 2 software is downloadable from the Nikon website (URL provided in the supplied Quick Start Guide and downloadable Reference Manual). The ViewNX software contains the following applications:
- Nikon Transfer 2: to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer
- ViewNX 2: for viewing, editing and printing your images
- Nikon Movie Editor: for basic editing of transferred movies
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows 7: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 1)
- Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (Service Pack 2)
- Windows XP: Home Edition, Professional (Service Pack 3)
- MAC OS X Versions: 10.6.8, 10.7.4
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
you will need to download the Nikon application first in your phone [ MARIO Jan 27, 2014 ]
This camera does not have Bluetooth connectivity. However it does have built in Wi-Fi. Built-in Wi-Fi: The camera has built-in Wi-Fi (compliant with 802.11b/g/n) with a range of approximately 65 yards, and a data rate of up to 25 Mbps. When you are connected to a wireless LAN, you can take your photos and videos and email them to friends, post them on Facebook, upload them to my Picturetown, or wirelessly transfer them to your laptop. Once you have backed up your memory card contents to your computer, you can delete them and resume shooting right away. [ Jeff Jan 20, 2014 ] Staff
Android Smart Device: The Coolpix S800c can operate on the Android Operating System (version 2.3.3), which means the camera can double as an Android smart device. You can download your favorite Android apps from Google Play, and use the 3.5" high-resolution touchscreen to check your email and Facebook, view photos and videos from your friends, browse the web, and stream music. [ Jeff Mar 31, 2014 ] Staff
I have NOT been able to download ANYTHING despite the camera showing active WI-FI connection. MAY be my fault....!? BUT there is a menu THAT is supposed to work and seem to be installed. I have NOT been able to create account with Google. Camera answers as a "temporary problem" refers me to customer care.....!? If you are counting on this things to work.... Mmmmmmm...!!!! In Easy-Auto mode camera works well. Good movies. If you are a beginner buy something else....! Or may be Crutchfield may help to download something.... [ ARMANDO Mar 28, 2014 ]