Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight
Flash for Nikon digital SLR and select Coolpix cameras
Our take on the Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight delivers the degree of lighting control the "pro-sumer" photographer demands.
You can control the SB-600 manually, or you can fire it wirelessly from your camera (it even has four selectable channels to prevent other photographers from accidentally triggering it if you're shooting in a crowd). A Flash Value lock lets you change the composition or zoom for the shot while keeping the lighting just the way you want it.
The SB-600 has a large LCD screen with an easy to read graphic display, and all the buttons and switch controls are readily accessible on the back. The flash fits your Nikon digital still camera's accessory shoe, and can even be angled up and down or left and right for bouncing light off ceilings and walls.
For use only with compatible Nikon cameras. Requires 4 "AA" batteries (not included).
A must have for the serious amateur. The fast recycle time and the ability to zoom with the camera lense is an unbeatable combination. I recently shot my sons wedding with this flash the results were spectacular
Steve, Concord NC
What's in the Box:
- SB-600 Speedlight flash
- AS-19 Speedlight stand
- SS-600 Soft case
- Instruction Manual
- "A collection of example photos" book
- Warranty card
- Warranty Form
- Product Registration card
- compatible with Nikon digital SLRs and other select Nikon cameras
- fully automatic and manual modes
- wireless remote operation
- 4 selectable frequency channels
- power on/standby/off switch
- vertical and horizontal angle adjustment
- number of flashes: About 200 per set of fresh batteries
- weight: about 10.6 oz. (without battery)
- flash cycle: approximately 3.5 seconds
- stand and soft case included
- 2-3/4"W x 3-7/8"H (4-15/16" when tilted up) x 3-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlight Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Creative Lighting System: The SB-600 features a new Nikon Speedlight system, called Creative Lighting System (CLS). This system offers additional flash shooting possibilities with digital cameras by taking advantage of a camera's digital communication capabilities. CLS is available only when the SB-600 is used with compatible Nikon cameras. The SB-600 offers these major features:
- i-TTL Mode: This is a new TTL auto flash mode in the Creative Lighting System. Monitor Preflashes are fired at all times. The subject is correctly exposed by the light from the flash lighting and the exposure is less affected by the ambient light than in the conventional TTL mode.
- Advanced Wireless Lighting: With Advanced Wireless Lighting, wireless multiple flash operation in the TTL (i-TTL) mode can now be accomplished with digital SLRs. In this mode, you can divide the remote flash units into three groups and control the flash output independently for each group, expanding your range of creative multiple-flash shooting techniques. The SB-600 can be used only as a wireless remote flash unit.
- Flash Value Lock: Flash Value (FV) is the amount of flash exposure needed for a subject. Using FV Lock with compatible cameras, you can lock in the appropriate flash exposure for the main subject. This flash exposure will remain fixed, even if you change the aperture or composition, or zoom the lens in or out.
- Flash Color Information Communication: When the SB-600 is used with compatible digital SLRs, color temperature information is automatically transmitted to the camera. In this way, the camera's white balance is automatically adjusted to give you the correct color temperature when taking photographs with the SB- 600.
- Auto FP High-Speed Sync: High-Speed flash synchronization at your camera's highest shutter speed is now possible. This is useful when you want to use a wider aperture to achieve shallow depth of field to blur the background.
- Wide-Area AF-Assist Illuminator:
In autofocus operation, the SB-600 emits AF-Assist illumination over a much
wider area than existing Speedlights. This enables you to perform autofocus
photography in dim light even after you change the focus area of cameras
supporting this function.
- Note: The SB-600's available flash modes vary, depending on the cameras and lenses in use or the camera's exposure mode and metering system. For more details, please refer to your camera's instruction manual.
LCD Screen: The LCD screen provides large, easy to read graphics and mode indicators.
Adjustable Flash Head: The flash head can be tilted from 0° to 90° and rotated horizontally 180° to the left and 90° to the right, enabling bounce flash or close-up flash photography.
Wide-flash Adapter: When the built-in wide-flash adapter is used, close-up flash shooting can be performed. The built-in wide-flash adapter diffuses the light from the flash to soften shadows.
Power Zoom Function: A power zoom function automatically adjusts the zoom-head position to match the lens focal length (with the exception of some camera/lens combinations). When the built-in wide-flash adapter is used, the zoom-head position is automatically set to match a 14mm lens.
Wide-Area AF-Assist Illuminator: When the light is too dim for normal autofocus operation, the SB-600's Wide-Area AF-Assist Illuminator enables you to perform autofocus flash photography.
Batteries: The SB-600 can use any of the following types of batteries: Alkaline-manganese (1.5V), Nickel (1.5V), lithium (1.5V), NiCd battery (rechargeable, 1.2V), and Ni-MH (rechargeable, 1.2V).
Standby Function: If the SB-600 and camera are not being used, the standby function will automatically activate after 40 seconds, switching the SB-600 to standby mode to conserve battery power.
- Guide Number (at 35 mm zoom-head position, 20°C/68°F): 30/98 (ISO 100, m/ft), 42/138 (ISO 200, m/ft)
- Flash Shooting Distance Range (in TTL auto flash mode): 0.6m to 20m (2 to 66 ft.) (varies depending on the ISO sensitivity, zoom-head position and lens aperture in use)
- Bounce Capability: flash head tilts from 0° to 90° with click-stops at 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°; flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left or 90° to the right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°
- Flash Duration (approximately):
- 1/900 seconds at M1/1 (full) output
- 1/1600 seconds at M1/2 output
- 1/3400 seconds at M1/4 output
- 1/6600 seconds at M1/8 output
- 1/11100 seconds at M1/16 output
- 1/20000 seconds at M1/32 output
- 1/25000 seconds at M1/64 output
- Flash Output Level Compensation: -3.0 to +3.0 EV in increments of 1/3 steps in the TTL auto flash mode
Minimum Number of Flashes and Recycling Times:
|Batteries||Minimum Recycling Time||Minimum Number of Flashes/Recycling Time|
|Alkaline-manganese||3.5 seconds||200/3.5-30 seconds|
|Lithium||4.0 seconds||400/4.0-30 seconds|
|Nickel||2.5 seconds||180/2.5-30 seconds|
|NiCd (1000 mAh) (rechargeable)||2.9 seconds||90/2.9-30 seconds|
|Ni-MH (2000 mAh) (rechargeable)||2.5 seconds||220/2.5-30 seconds|
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.