Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable Speedlight flash unit for Nikon DSLRs and select Coolpix cameras
Item # 054SB910 | MFR # 4809
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon SB-910 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
An artist's tool
Whether you find yourself in the field or in the studio, the Nikon SB-910 Speedlight flash unit has both the flexibility and the power to add artistry to every shot. This is Nikon's flagship portable flash unit, and it shows why as soon as you take it out of its carrying case.
It shares a brain with your camera
Controllable via the i-TTL (intelligent through-the-lens) interface on compatible Nikon cameras, the SB-910 syncs with your camera as a wireless remote unit or through a hot-shoe. It works in conjunction with your camera's electronic processor to deliver the precise amount of light you need, with the pattern you need, at precisely the moment it's required.
Commanding the scene
Additionally, it can function as a wireless commander, signaling three discrete groups of Speedlights, each with as many flash units as you want, to fire precisely on cue. Four wireless comminication channels eliminate the chance for interference. The deep control menu allows you to configure the SB-910 as the heartbeat of your synchronized lighting system.
Designed with you in mind
This unit is well-populated with thoughtful features. The control buttons on the rear are illuminated for easy manipulation in low light. In the event of thermal overload, the SB-910 slows its shooting rate rather than tripping itself off to recuperate. And dedicated, hard color-correction filters help you to match fluorescent and incandescent light sources when shooting with cameras set in automatic white balance mode.
Stop time in its tracks
This flash unit doesn't just shape and manage light in your images it manages time. You can freeze the moment a droplet hits a pool of water, or catch a hummingbird at your feeder on its wing's downstroke.
This is a great flash from Nikon and came in brand new. The autofocus system on the speed light is great for shooting in low to almost no light and getting your focus and the flash does a beautiful job of lighting up your subjects.
Jason, Barstow, CA
What's in the Box:
- SB-910 Speedlight flash unit
- AS-21 Speedlight stand
- SS-910 Soft zippered case
- SW-13H Light diffusion dome
- SZ-2TN Incandescent Filter
- SZ-2Fl Fluorescent Filter
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- A Collection of Example Photos (English)
- A Collection of Example Photos (Spanish)
- Warranty Form
- compatible with Nikon SLR cameras; also compatible with select Nikon Coolpix cameras
- i-TTL flash exposure control
- thermal overload slows firing rate rather than triggering cutoff
- firmware upgradeable
- automatic FX/DX switching for optimum light distribution when using a full-frame or APS-C image sensor camera
- flash head zooms automatically to match the shooting angle (zoom coverage from 17-200mm in the FX-format and 12-200mm coverage in the DX-format)
- three light distribution patterns: Standard, Center-weighted for portraits, and Even for groups or interiors
- auto focus-assist illuminator
- white balance info transmitted to compatible Nikon SLRs
- manual settings
- tilt and swivel flash head (tilts up to 90 degrees or down to -7 degrees, and rotates horizontally 180 degrees to the left or right)
- wireless flash operation as a "master" or "remote" unit
- uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included)
- weight: 14.8 oz. (without batteries)
- 3-1/8"W x 5-3/4"H x 4-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- soft carry case
- Speedlight stand
- snap-on light diffuser
- hard color-correction filters for fluorescent and incandescent light
Nikon SB-910 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Nikon Speedlight SB-910 flash has been optimized for use with CLS-compatible (Creative Lighting System) digital SLR (Nikon FX/DX format) cameras. It can also be used with i-TTL-compatible Coolpix cameras, such as the P7100, P7000, and P6000. Non-CLS-compatible cameras can use the flash with limited features. The flash unit comes with a soft zippered storage case.
Creative Lighting System (CLS): Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) offers additional flash shooting possibilities with digital cameras by taking advantage of a camera's digital communication capabilities. Some CLS features available on the SB-910 include switching illumination patterns, multi-area AF-assist illuminator, i-TTL balanced fill-flash, image area selection, flash value lock, flash color information communications, auto FP high-speed sync, advanced wireless lighting, and firmware update capability. CLS is available only when the SB-910 is used with compatible Nikon cameras with CLS.
LCD Screen: The LCD screen provides large, easy-to-read graphics and mode indicators, such as Flash Mode, ISO sensitivity, Effective flash output distance range, DX or FX format, zoom head position, aperture f-number, functions assigned to function buttons, and in indication that the flash is connected to a CLS-compatible camera.
Adjustable Flash Head: The flash head can be tilted from -7° to +90° and rotated horizontally 180° to the left or right, enabling bounce flash or close-up flash photography.
Function Buttons: The SB-910 has three function buttons that allow you to assign a function or setting for each. The buttons are located just below the LCD screen, with an icon for the assigned function for each displayed on the screen.
Flash Exposure Control: The SB-910 is compatible with numerous flash exposure controls, as set by the camera:
- Auto FP High-Speed Sync: Auto FP High Speed sync is automatically set when the shutter speed exceeds the camera's sync shutter speed.
- Flash Value Lock: You can lock in the appropriate flash exposure, while keeping the subject illumination constant even if you can't change the composition.
- Slow Sync Flash: The flash is controlled at a slow shutter speed to obtain the correct exposure for both the main subject and the background in low-light situation or at night. A tripod is recommended to prevent camera shake.
- Red-Eye Reduction: To prevent the center of your subject's eyes from appearing red in color pictures, the SB-910 fires three flashes at reduced output just before the picture is taken. Note: You can combine this flash with the slow-sync flash (tripod recommended).
- Rear-curtain/Front Curtain Sync: When using slow shutter speeds and shooting fast moving objects, rear curtain sync creates a picture in which the blur of the subject appears behind the subject. With front-curtain sync, the blur occurs in front of the subject.
Batteries: The SB-910 requires 4 "AA"-sized batteries, and can use any of the following types of batteries: Alkaline (1.5V), Lithium (1.5V), and Ni-MH (rechargeable, 1.2V).
Standby Function: If the SB-910 and camera are not being used, the standby function will automatically activate after a set amount of time, switching the SB-910 to standby mode to conserve battery power. You can set the standby function to Auto (standby activates when the camera's exposure meter is turned off), 40 seconds, 80 seconds, 160 seconds, 300 seconds, or function canceled.
Repeating Flash Mode: The SB-910's repeating flash mode fires repeatedly during a single exposure, creating stroboscopic multiple exposure effects.
Light Distribution Patterns: Typical flash photography illuminates the center of the image more than the edges. You can choose from three types of illumination patterns with different light falloff at the edges: Standard, Even, or Center-weighted.
Power Zoom Function: The SB-910 automatically adjusts the zoom head position to match the lens focal length.
Multiple Flash Units: The SB-910 can not only operate as a hot shoe-mounted Speedlight, but can also function as a master or remote unit within a wireless multi-flash setup. There are up to four channel options and up to three remote groups for configuring the SB-910 or other Speedlights like the SB-900, SB-700, or SB-R200.
Built-in Accessories: The flash has a built-in wide panel and bounce card that are stored above the flash panel. When taking close-up photographs, the wide panel covers the flash panel to diffuse the light to prevent overexposure. The white bounce card is used with 90° bounce flash to make a portrait subject's eyes look more vibrant by reflecting the light in them.
Supplied Accessories: Included with the SB-910 are the following accessories:
- Speedlight Stand (AS-21): provides a stable placement for the flash when you want to use it as a remote flash unit
- Diffusion Dome (SW-13H): diffuses the light creating extremely soft light with virtually no shadows
- Incandescent Filter (SZ-2TN): balances the color of light from the flash to match that of incandescent or tungsten lighting
- Fluorescent Filter (SZ-2FL): balances the color of light from the flash to match that of fluorescent lighting
- Guide Number (35mm zoom head position, FX format, standard illumination pattern, 68°F/20°C): 34m/111.5ft (ISO 100), 48m/157.5ft (ISO 200)
- Effective Flash Output Distance Range (in i-TTL mode): 0.6m to 20m (2 ft. to 66 ft.) (varies depending on the camera's image area setting, ISO sensitivity, zoom-head position and lens aperture in use)
- Bounce Capability: flash head tilts from -7° to +90° with click-stops at -7°, 0°, 45°, 60°, 75°, 90°; flash head rotates horizontally 180° to the left and right with click-stops at 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°
- Flash Duration
- 1/880 seconds at M1/1 (full) output
- 1/1100 seconds at M1/2 output
- 1/2550 seconds at M1/4 output
- 1/5000 seconds at M1/8 output
- 1/10,000 seconds at M1/16 output
- 1/20,000 seconds at M1/32 output
- 1/35,700 seconds at M1/64 output
- 1/38,500 seconds at M1/128 output
- Flash Output Level Compensation: -3.0 to +3.0 EV in increments of 1/3 steps in i-TTL, auto aperture flash, non-TTL auto flash, or distance-priority manual flash mode
Minimum Number of Flashes and Recycling Times:
|Batteries||Minimum Recycling Time||Minimum Number of Flashes/Recycling Time|
|Alkaline (1.5V)||4.0 seconds||110 / 4.0-30 sec|
|Lithium (1.5V)||4.5 seconds||230 / 4.5-120 sec|
|Ni-MH (2600 mAh)||2.3 seconds||190 / 2.3-30 sec|
|Ni-MH (eneloop)||2.3 seconds||165 / 2.3-30 sec|
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Compatability with my current equipment. Good price point from Crutchfield (with USA warranty). [ LEONARD G May 16, 2016 ]
Customer reviews and ratings. [ ROMULO Dec 12, 2015 ]
Based on positive product reviews and Crutchfield's reputation. [ JOHN P Dec 08, 2015 ]