Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Nikon 1 V2 Camera with 3X zoom lens
14.2-megapixel, compact interchangeable-lens camera with 10-30mm f/3.5-56 lens (White)
Item # 054V227605 | MFR # 27605
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Nikon 1 V2 Camera with 3X zoom lens by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Caught a blink. Oops, your niece is moving too fast towards you. Dad turned away for just a sec.
It's about timing
The original Nikon 1 Series was designed from its inception to make these problems a thing of the past. A smart photo selector mode made sure you were getting the strongest possible shot by taking 20 photos in succession and handing you the best 5 to choose from.
Now Nikon has created a new series flagship with the V2, a muscular re-imagining of the original V1 that captures your world in even greater detail. With 14.2-megapixels, a built-in flash, redesigned control interface, and a sturdy textured right-hand grip, it has the look of a camera to be reckoned with; yet it maintains many of the features that were hailed when the Nikon 1 Series first debuted.
Along with the aforementioned smart photo selector, Nikon has added Slow View mode in the V2, which buffers 40 frames (at 30 frames per second) and plays them back at 20% of normal speed so you can choose the exact right moment to capture. And the innovative Motion Snapshot mode — which captures a slow-motion sequence and a representative still image and blends it with music — has been enhanced to allow a longer, ten-second presentation, and now offers the ability to select the accompanying music after the shot.
Of course, the V2 offers amazing autofocus and continuous shooting speed, like its predecessor, even while giving you almost 40% more pixel resolution. The hybrid autofocus of the Nikon 1 Series is impressive, and the 15 frame-per-second continuous capture tames any fast-moving event for later review.
On the air
Perhaps the most exciting addition to the Nikon 1 V2 is the ability to add the optional WU-1b wireless adapter, making your camera truly Wi-Fi® capable. Use that networking ability with available free apps for Android™ and Apple® iOS® smartphones and tablets to transfer images easily to computers and social networks, or use your device to view and fire off images in real time.
Your camera's best friend
The included 10-30mm lens will be a perfect companion for everyday shooting challenges and travel photography. The 3X zoom range will gather anything from a beach-side panorama to a moody candid portrait. Precision Nikkor optical construction means clean, crisp shots across the entire image, with a minimum of color fringing or blurriness.
- 14.2-megapixel effective recording
- includes Nikkor VRII 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon-1 mount lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27-81mm)
- Nikon CX CMOS image sensor (13.2 X 8.8 mm)
- 1,440K-dot TFT LCD electronic viewfinder with diopter adjustment
- eye sensor activates viewfinder and switches off LCD display when eye approaches
- 3" 921k-dot high-resolution LCD screen with anti-glare coating for easy viewing outdoors
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080i @ 60 frames per second, or 1080p @ 30 fps)
- dedicated top-mounted exposure mode dial
- add Wi-Fi connectivity and convenience with the optional WU-1b wireless adapter and free apps for Android and iOS® smartphones and tablets
- simultaneously capture full resolution pictures and HD video
- Smart Photo Selector chooses the best 5 shots from a continuous series of 25
- single-point autofocus has 135 areas; auto-area autofocus has 41 areas
- maintain razor-sharp autofocus while shooting 10 continuous frames per second
- built-in flash
- i-TTL compliant flash available using optional Nikon Speedlight SB-N5 or SB-N7 flash unit
- wide ISO range for colorful, dynamic low-light performance
- simple, uncluttered control interface is powerful yet easy to understand
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Nikkor Nikon-1 mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 10 frames per second with continuous autofocus
- shutter speed range: 30 - 1/16,000 seconds (electronic), 30 secs - 1/4,000 second (mechanical)
- shutter release modes: Single-frame [S] mode; Continuous; Mechanical; Electronic; Electronic [Hi]; Self-timer mode; Delayed remote; Quick Response Remote; Interval Timer Shooting
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-3200 auto, 6400 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- flash compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 EV
- 5 preset scene modes
- flash sync: up to 1/60 second (electronic); 1/250 second (mechanical)
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Fine, Standard and Basic), Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW), and Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)+JPEG
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9
- MPEG-4/H.264 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 interlaced frames per second with stereo sound; up to 1200 frames per second slo-mo available at 320x120 pixels
- accepts optional SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- mini HDMI output (cable not included)
- "multi-accessory port" hot shoe for selected Nikon accessories like flash and GPS
- 4-7/16"W x 3-1/4"H x 1-13/16"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 9.8 oz.
- Multi Accessory Port Cover
- body cap
- rechargeable EN-EL21 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- USB cable
- audio/video cable
- software CD-ROM, manual, and reference manual CD
What's in the Box:
- Nikon 1 V2 digital camera body (white)
- BF-N1000 1-mount body cap (attached)
- White 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- White LC-N40.5 lens cap (attached to lens)
- Black LF-N1000 1-Mount rear lens cap (attached to lens)
- EN-EL21 Lithium-Ion battery pack (7.2 Volts/1485 mAh) with attached plastic terminal cap
- MH-28 Battery charger (8.4V/0.6A)
- White adjustable neck strap
- 5' USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- ViewNX2 Short Movie Creator software on CD-ROM
- Reference Manual on CD-ROM
- User's Manual (English)
- User's Manual (Spanish)
- Warranty Programs Form
- 5 Years of Protection Lens Extended Service Coverage forms
- Note regarding the lens barrel button
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27-81mm|
|Sensor Size||13.2 x 8.8mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3072|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60i|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||11.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Nikon V2: The Nikon V2 is a compact, interchangeable lens camera that combines advanced functionality with a simple, intuitive design. It has the Nikon 1 mount, and is compatible with 1 Nikkor lenses. This Zoom Lens kit includes the 10-30mm standard zoom lens. Other available lenses include the following:
- 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8
- 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
- 1 Nikkor 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6
- 1 Nikkor 10-100mm f/4.5-5-6
- 1 Nikkor 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6
3.0" LCD Monitor: The Nikon V2 has a 3.0" TFT LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-glare coating, and a 7-level brightness adjustment.
Electronic Viewfinder: In addition to the 3.0" LCD monitor, the V2 has a 0.47" electronic viewfinder with approximately 1,440,000 dots and approximately 100% coverage. It also has a diopter control so you can adjust the viewfinder to your own personal eyesight. A sensor next to the viewfinder automatically switches to the viewfinder display when you bring the camera up to your eye.
Image Sensor: The V2 features the newly developed Nikon CX-format super high-speed AF, 13.2mm x 8.8mm CMOS sensor. It has 15.13-million total pixels and 14.2-million effective pixels.
Included Lens: The V2 Zoom Lens kit includes the 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm lens with the following specifications:
|1 Nikkor VR
|Lens Type||Standard Zoom (3x)|
|Minimum Focal Distance||0.7' (8.4")|
|Lens Construction||12 elements in 9 groups|
|Dimensions (w/o caps)||Diameter: 2.254"
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD (Secure Digital), SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards, including UHS-I Ultra High Speed cards. The camera can support SD cards from up to 2 GB, SDHC cards from 8 GB to 32 GB, and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB. Cards with Class 6 or higher writing speeds are recommended for movie recording. The camera also supports UHS-1 cards.
Image Quality: The V2 records still images in JPEG format at Fine (1:4), Normal (1:8), or Basic (1:16) compression. In addition, compressed 12-bit raw data from the image sensor can be saved directly to the memory card in NEF (RAW) format. The white balance, contrast, and other settings can be adjusted on a computer after shooting. If desired, the V2 can record two images simultaneously: one NEF (RAW) image and one fine-quality JPEG image.
Image Size: There are three image sizes to choose from when taking still photos:
- Large: 4608 x 3072
- Medium: 3456 x 2304
- Small: 2304 x 1536
Mode Dial: The Nikon V2 has a mode dial with 8 shooting mode choices: Auto Mode, Advanced Movie Mode, Motion Snapshot Mode, Best Moment Capture Mode, Programmed Auto, Shutter-priority Auto, Aperture-priority Auto, and Manual.
Motion Snapshot Mode: The Motion Snapshot mode can turn a simple still image into a creative new way to capture and share your memories. Each time the shutter is released, the camera records a still image and about 1.6 seconds of movie footage. When played back on the camera, the movie will play back in slow motion over approximately 4 seconds, followed by the still image. Playback is accompanied by a background audio track about 10 seconds long.
Best Moment Capture: The Best Moment Capture mode keeps you from missing the picture-perfect moments. The camera captures a short sequence of still images and plays them back in slow motion so you can choose the precise moment for a photograph. While the shutter-release button is pressed halfway, the camera records up to 40 frames over about 1.3 seconds and plays them back in a continuous slow-motion loop. When the frame you want to keep is displayed, you can select it by pressing the shutter-release button the rest of the way down. The remaining images are discarded.
Smart Photo Selector: The Smart Photo Selector mode helps you capture a fleeting expression or other moments that are hard to time. Each time the shutter is released, the camera automatically selects the best shot and a number of best shot candidates, based on composition and motion. You can choose to have the camera select 5 or only one best shot.
Automatic Scene Selection: In Auto mode, the camera automatically analyses the subject and selects one of the following scenes: Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Close Up, Night Landscape, and Auto.
HD Movies: The Nikon V2 can record High Definition movies in MOV format (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression with AAC audio) in P, S, A, and M modes at the following frame rates:
- 1920 x 1080/60i
- 1920 x 1080/30p
- 1280 x 720/60p
- 1280 x 720/30p
Slow Motion Movies: You can record motion pictures at a high frame rate, which are played back as slow motion movies at 30fps. No audio is recorded, and the aspect ratio is 8:3. There are two slow motion movie options:
|Option||Frame Size||Bit Rate||Maximum Length
|400 fps||640 x 240||2 Mbps||3 seconds||40 sec|
|1200 fps||320 x 120||1 Mbps||3 seconds||2 min|
Continuous Mode: The Continuous Shooting option lets you choose 5, 15, 30 and 60 frames per second. A mechanical shutter is used at 5 fps, while an electronic shutter is used with frame rates of 15, 30, and 60. At 15 fps, the maximum number of shots that can be taken in a single burst is about 45, while at 30 and 60 fps, the maximum is about 40.
Self-timer and Remote Control Modes: You can use the self timer or optional ML-L3 remote control to reduce camera shake or for self portraits. The self timer will release the shutter 2 or 10 seconds after the shutter-release button is pressed fully. Using the ML-L3 remote, you can select Delayed Remote (shutter released 2 seconds after remote is pressed) or Quick-response Remote (shutter released immediately after remote is pressed).
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
|A6400 Auto (160-6400)||The camera adjusts ISO sensitivity in response to lighting conditions in the range given in brackets. Larger ranges give you increase sensitivity when lighting is poor; smaller ranges give you reduced noise.|
|A3200 Auto (160-3200)|
|A800 Auto (160-800)|
|160, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400||ISO sensitivity is fixed at the selected value.|
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, or Shade. These settings can be fine-tuned using the multi-selector. You can also choose Preset Manual and set the white balance for the lighting conditions.
Picture Control: You can choose how the camera processes photos through Picture Control. Preset Picture Controls include Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, and Landscape. The preset picture controls can be modified to suit the scene or your creative intent. Some Picture Control Settings include Quick Adjust, Sharpening, Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Filter Effects, and Toning. Edited Picture Controls can be saved as Custom Picture Controls.
Flash Modes: The V2 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 2 to 16 feet (Wide angle) and 2 feet to 9.8 feet (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes: Fill Flash, Red-eye Reduction, Red-eye Reduction + Slow Sync, Fill Flash + Slow Sync, Rear Curtain + Slow Sync, and Rear-curtain Sync.
Multi-Accessory Port: The camera features a multi-accessory port which can be used to attach optional flash units, such as the Nikon SB-N5 and the new SB-N7. You can also attach the optional GP-N100 GPS unit to record location data onto your photos and movies.
Optional Microphone: The optional Nikon ME-1 stereo microphone lets you record stereo audio while recording movies. The external microphone records better audio than the camera's built-in mic, and reduces noise caused by lens vibration during auto focus. The ME-1 comes with an adapter for mounting to the V2's Multi-Accessory port.
Optional Wi-Fi: With the optional Nikon WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter, you can copy images to, or control the camera from, a smartphone or tablet running the Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility app.
Playback Modes: During playback, you can view images one-at-a-time, or multiple thumbnail images of 4, 9, or 72. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. You can also view pictures taken on a selected date in a calendar format.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image to get a closer look at the detail. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Playback Menu: The Playback menu lets you display or edit your photos and movies. You can choose from the following options:
- Delete: Delete multiple images at once
- Slide Show: View a slide show of images on the memory card with numerous options for image type, date, scene, rating, face priority, frame interval, movie playback time, and audio.
- Rotate Tall: Automatically rotate "tall" portrait-oriented images for display in the camera monitor.
- DPOF Print Order: Create a digital print order for Pictbridge-compatible printers
- Protect: Protect pictures from accidental deletion
- Rating: Rate pictures from 0 to 5
- D-Lighting: Brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Resizing Pictures: Create a small copy of a recorded image.
- Cropping: Create a cropped copy of a recorded image.
- Edit Movie: Create copies of movies with unwanted footage removed.
- Change Theme: Change the theme for existing Motion Snapshots.
Power Requirements: The V2 is powered by the supplied EN-EL21 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 310 shots, or approximately 65 minutes of HD footage (1080/60i). Using the supplied MH-28 battery charger, the EN-EL21 requires approximately 2 hours to charge. For longer periods of use, it is recommended to power the camera using the optional EH-5b AC adapter and EP-5D power connector (sold separately).
Auto Power Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 10 minutes.
HDMI Output: The V2 features a Type C mini-HDMI output for connecting the camera to a TV for playback. If the camera is connected to a device that supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), you can control the camera with the device's remote control.
USB Output: The V2 has a Hi-Speed Mini-B USB 2.0 connector for connecting the camera to a computer or PictBridge-compatible printer. A 5' USB cable is included.
ViewNX2 / Short Movie Creator CD-ROM: The supplied CD-ROM contains the ViewNX2 software to copy (transfer) pictures from the camera to the computer and to perform other transfer-related functions. You can also crop pictures, make picture adjustments, and process/edit RAW images. The CD-ROM also includes the Short Movie Creator software which can create and edit short movies combining music, Motion Snapshots, movie footage, and photos taken in still image or Smart Photo Selector mode.
System Requirements: The supplied software will work with Windows and Macintosh. Your computer should have one of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 7 (SP1): Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate (64- and 32-bit editions)
- Windows Vista (SP2): Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (64- and 32-bit editions)
- Windows XP (SP3): Home Edition, Professional (32-bit editions only)
- Macintosh: OS X version 10.6.8, 10.7.5, or 10.8.2
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.