Dual moving magnet 78 rpm phono cartridge
Our take on the Audio-Technica VM670SP by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Make vintage 78 rpm records sound fantastic
Years ago, I produced a radio show. The host of the program was an opera fanatic, and he came into the studio every week with a carton brim-full of 78 rpm recordings. It was such a thrill for me to hear those voices from a bygone era. If you also have an emotional connection to those fast-playing gems, the Audio-Technica VM670SP can be your best friend.
The cartridge features a specialized body and internal wiring dedicated to monaural sound reproduction, plus the conical stylus with a large curvature radius really brings out the wonderful sound buried in those old records. Internally connected dual moving magnets reduce surface noise and create a focused center image.
Note: this stylus is compatible with modern "microgroove" 78s.
- linked dual moving magnet design for excellent monaural 78 rpm sound reproduction
- 3.0 mil conical stylus
- all-metal cantilever
- durable low-resonance polymer housing
- mono body design reduces surface noise
- frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
- output voltage: 3.0 mV
- tracking force range: 4.5-5.5 grams
- recommended tracking force: 5.0 grams
- load impedance: 47k ohms
- 11/16"W x 11/16"H x 1-1/8"D
- cartridge weight: 6.4 grams
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Dual moving magnet mono phono cartridge
- 2 Long screws
- 2 Short screws
- 2 Nuts
- 2 Washers
- User Manual
- Disposal Note
Dual Moving Magnet Mono Phono Cartridge: With a specialized body and internal wiring dedicated to monaural sound reproduction, plus a large curvature radius conical stylus, the VM670SP cartridge is designed for playing 78 RPM records. Part of the 600 Series in Audio-Technica's new VM cartridge line, the VM670SP is equipped with dual magnets that are internally connected to reduce record noise and obtain a highly focused "center" sound image that stereo cartridges can't provide. The stylus' 3.0 mil curvature radius makes it an excellent choice for playing 78s from a wide variety of eras.
- VM dual magnet cartridge with 3.0 mil conical stylus
- Aluminum cantilever
- Paratoroidal coils improve generating efficiency
- Mono body terminating left and right channels reduces surface noise
- Durable low-resonance polymer housing
Note: Mounting hardware is included.
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
- Vertical Tracking Force: 4.5-5.5 g (5.0 g standard)
- Stylus Construction: Bonded round shank
- Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
- Output: 3.0 mV (at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
- Stylus Shape: 3.0 mil conical
- Cantilever: Aluminum pipe
- Mount: 1/2"
- Replacement Stylus: Part # VMN70SP
- Coil Impedance: 1,400 ohms (1 kHz)
- DC Resistance: 400 ohms
- Load Capacitance: 100-200 pF
- Coil Inductance: 230 mH (1 kHz)
- Static Compliance: 15 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Dynamic Compliance: 2 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
- Vertical Tracking Angle: 23°
Dimensions: 0.75" (w) x 0.75" (h) x 1.125" (d)
Weight: 6.4 g (0.2 oz)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I chose this cartridge for my Audio Technica Turntable. I have a collection of old 78 RPM records and needed a Cartridge and Stylus that would properly track 78 RPM records. I have good audio technical 95E cartridge for normal 33 and 45 RPM records. That cartridge and stylus will play 78 RPM records but not follow the large mono grooves of a 78 and will cause excessive wear on records and stylus. [ LARRY Feb 03, 2018 ]
Play 78 rpm records. [ Patrick Jan 14, 2018 ]
To be able to play 78's [ Mark Nov 20, 2017 ]
I have quite a few 78's in my music collection, and my cartridge from my old turntable is a P-mount, so I needed a standard mount. [ Jack Nov 10, 2017 ]